Most over played strengths

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dum Dum Dugan
What are the most over played strengths, for example Thunder claps. Other examples might be Spiderman can't be touch becuase of spider senses ect.

Starscream M
Flash speed making him untouchable.

Thor's godblast (useless in an actual fight).

Iceman's mist form making him unkillable.

Tha C-Master
Wolverine can't be ko'ed by anybody under Hulk strength.

The Flash won't be touched by many people on the forum, much less seen. His lower high tier feats have him going 13 trillion times light speed.

Omega Iceman is pretty much immune to physical attacks, for the most part.

The Nuul
Hulks infinite anger and strength.

Dum Dum Dugan
Mind rape and being stronger = auto win.

Bouboumaster
Superman super strenght

Dum Dum Dugan
Throwing people into orbit and BFR in general.

tideoftime
Well, you just pre-empted the two biggest I could think of off the top of my head...

Conceptual Speed- Blitzing: while "Comic Physics" must always be taken with a grain (or bag) of salt, it does take some *proper* interpretting to discern *specifically* how *different* qualities of speed, reflex, time-perception, and agility interact with others, whether faster or slower (that is, Barry/Wally isn't always going to have the "temporal" edge, in terms of reaction time or effect, and while - as you cited - Peter's SS/agility/reflexes are very impressive, it not going to necessarily do squat against a *proper* ultra-fast or area attack).

Yeah, I know -- plenty of people ignore superspeed, conceptually, in forum fights (and while not trying to offend anyone, it does seem that some hardcore Marvel fans seem more guilty of that than others), but just as many translate it as "insta-win", both in a forum and in the comics, and that isn't always the case as much as it appears on the surface...

EDIT: damn -- my slow typing got multi-pre-empted... *sigh*

Oh, and as stated by others above: definitely "Hulk Smash"...

Dum Dum Dugan
superman super speed.

Tha C-Master
In all honesty strengths and weaknesses are played up and down based on who likes or dislikes, or who is arguing for and against a character. It's what happens in debates. Nothing really new there. Most don't think Spider-Man is untouchable, just like most don't think Wolverine can't be hurt. Those are only a small segment of a large community.

The most difficult forum powers would be: speed, magic, and reality warping. These are pretty much autowins unless someone is even more "infinite". This tends to happen in threads where characters go beyond high herald, where it is really about who is more "infinite".

Good thread though.

The Nuul
Everything about Sentry.

Warlord
Originally posted by Starscream M

that's what Durok thought

Bentley
Mmmmh... A fair answer would be cosmic awareness.

OneDumbG0
Nigh-instantaneous evolutionary adaptability to everything...

... except being punched to death.

Parmaniac
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
Nigh-instantaneous evolutionary adaptability to everything...

... except being punched to death. laughing I don't know who you're talking about.

KuRuPT Thanosi
He's talking about DD and that is a great one.

Parmaniac
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
He's talking about DD Dude I know

amnesia
Dare Devil do have some pretty lame powers, indeed.

Juk3n
Originally posted by amnesia
Dare Devil do have some pretty lame powers, indeed.
Die

amnesia
Originally posted by Juk3n
Die

NO

Juk3n
Originally posted by amnesia
NO

Try harder

The Nuul
Thanos's Quan power.

Parmaniac
Originally posted by The Nuul
Thanos' Quan power. fixed

- grammar nazi
smile

The Nuul
Originally posted by Parmaniac

nazi

fixed

amnesia
Originally posted by Juk3n
Try harder

**** are you talking about?

Parmaniac
fixed http://pw0nd.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/what-you-did-there-i-see-it.jpg

OneDumbG0
The ability to redirect an atom-sized nullification sphere...

... which apparently renders you more powerful than an instantaneous Multiverse-wide destroying/recreating blast.

tideoftime
Thanos's Quan power.

OH MY GOD...

*People type LOL and such all the time, but I *actually* snorted when I read that -- took me by surprise, and I chortled and nearly choked on my tea... Thank you for the laugh...*

The Nuul
Originally posted by tideoftime
OH MY GOD...

*People type LOL and such all the time, but I *actually* snorted when I read that -- took me by surprise, and I chortled and nearly choked on my tea... Thank you for the laugh...*

Welcome.

marwash22
Thanos's Quan power. lulz. sneer

Johnny Sorrow
The ability to redirect an atom-sized nullification sphere...

... which apparently renders you more powerful than an instantaneous Multiverse-wide destroying/recreating blast.

Hmm, do tell. yes

superspeed by far

psycho gundam
Hulks infinite anger and strength.

the first amendment for allowing people to talk out of their ass

FrothByte
Overplayed strength?

Most definitely prep time wielded by batman/dr. doom/ironman etc. Some people think that giving them prep time automatically makes them gods. pathetic.

wolverine's healing prowess is extremely overrated. Yes he heals from almost anything, but it doesn't make him immune to being knocked out, choked out, dislocated, etc. Some people make it seem as if logan's adamantium + healing = invincibility.

hulk's ever increasing strength. i stated before, although hulk's strength is limitless, his anger isn't (you can only get angry so far). so basically, his strength does have a limit.

... and last but not the least... mastery of 100 or more martial arts. honestly, there are only so many ways to deliver punches, kicks, and other attacks/submissive/pressure point moves. by the time you've mastered like more than 10 martial arts, you'll probably be repeating manuevers.

OneDumbG0
Originally posted by FrothByte
hulk's ever increasing strength. i stated before, although hulk's strength is limitless, his anger isn't (you can only get angry so far). so basically, his strength does have a limit. By the time your self-hatred and strength reaches a point where taking a simple footstep theatens the continental shoreline, there's really not much point to more strength.

kgkg
lol at the Hulk hate.

chomperx9
Batkick

WWs god protection

hulk's ever increasing strength. i stated before, although hulk's strength is limitless, his anger isn't (you can only get angry so far). so basically, his strength does have a limit.
You cant really know that, emotions can't be quantified.

rotiart
I've never agreed with wonder womans beavers blocking darkseids omega beams/effect whatever

Mshinu
Speed blitz, especially insta kill against characters who normally would have shields

Wondy`s gear

Thor`s uber attack like godblast, soul suck etc

Emma Frost`s omega level TP

Wolvie`s resistance to KO

Symbiotes` resistance to injury

Spiderman`s webs

Batman`s gadgets

Guys who copy powers (not "stealers"wink

And the "going all out, sereal mindset" meaning you want to only use high showings for said character.

Lord_Talron

... and last but not the least... mastery of 100 or more martial arts. honestly, there are only so many ways to deliver punches, kicks, and other attacks/submissive/pressure point moves. by the time you've mastered like more than 10 martial arts, you'll probably be repeating manuevers.

mmm

thumb up

dmills
Well the hardest for me to wrap my head around Conceptually are super speed, super strength and healing factors.

Super speed: This has to be the toughest for me. I can envision someone running around 200 mph or so. But this thing where people are moving and reacting at super sonic speeds or higher is crazy. How do they navigate? And if somehow they're able to process information fast enough to react, then their perception would be normal. So running from LA to NY would be real time for them. That sucks.

Super Strength:

I can rationalize 100's of tons. Afterall, we have things in the real world like ants and rhino beatles that lift like 10 times their own body mass and such. But when we get into thousands, hundreds of thousands or -in some cases- millions of tons, unaided by psionics or some other non physical force i.e. gravity, Then I just can't feel it.

Healing Factor:

This one is just plain dumb in some cases. I can dig it to a certain degree, however, when people are coming back from getting blown to pieces or reduced down to mere skeletons, that goes beyond healing factor and into metaphysics because those are resurrections IMO.

Black bolt z
Flash speed making him untouchable.

These by far

And speed steal.

Omega Vision
Shields that apparently are on as soon as the proverbial bell rings even when the characters with said shields have few/no real feats of speed/reflex to justifiy that proposition.

Parmaniac
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Shields that apparently are on as soon as the proverbial bell rings even when the characters with said shields have few/no real feats of speed/reflex to justifiy that proposition. There are exceptions in the rules though, Magneto for example starts with his shields on.

Omega Vision
There are exceptions in the rules though, Magneto for example starts with his shields on.
Does he have them on at all times in comics? Seems like he'd need to be concentrating to keep them up and that would get maddeningly tiresome ten hours into the day.

Parmaniac
IDK of course he's not 24/7 keeping them up but I'm sure that it's written in the rules that in a battle here he starts with shields up.

King Castle
superman wins b/c he always wins. he always finds a way.superdur

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by King Castle
superman wins b/c he always wins. he always finds a way.superdur I thought that was Cap.

Parmaniac
Originally posted by Tha C-Master
I thought that was Cap. Cap doesn't need to find a way, he just wins.

King Kandy
superman wins b/c he always wins. he always finds a way.superdur
I hate it when people use that as a serious argument.

Tha C-Master
Cap doesn't need to find a way, he just wins. A writer actually said, "Cap doesn't lose".

That might be an overplayed strength itself.

Starscream M
weakness exploitation against superman

on kmc, its like anytime someone meets superman they will resort to creating red sunlight or kryptonite even though it would be out of character

King Castle
that comes due to forum rules general public knowledge. superman is well known does interviews in his world

Black bolt z

on kmc, its like anytime someone meets superman they will resort to creating red sunlight or kryptonite even though it would be out of character Exploting a weakness is out of character now?

Q99
Originally posted by dmills
Well the hardest for me to wrap my head around Conceptually are super speed, super strength and healing factors.

Super speed: This has to be the toughest for me. I can envision someone running around 200 mph or so. But this thing where people are moving and reacting at super sonic speeds or higher is crazy. How do they navigate? And if somehow they're able to process information fast enough to react, then their perception would be normal. So running from LA to NY would be real time for them. That sucks.

With the Flashes at least, the details sorta blur in their heads, so even if it's a subjective hundred years running they're fine. Yet another side bonus of the Speed Force.

Spire

on kmc, its like anytime someone meets superman they will resort to creating red sunlight or kryptonite even though it would be out of character

Superman books need to last 20 pages ftw! thumb up

Starscream M
Originally posted by Black bolt z
Exploting a weakness is out of character now? it very rarely ever happens in comics, and virtually never in a first encounter

it just strikes me as an unlikely scenario.

Omega Vision
it very rarely ever happens in comics, and virtually never in a first encounter

it just strikes me as an unlikely scenario.
It happens all the time in comics.

Starscream M
It happens all the time in comics. how many times has a superman enemy created kryptonite or red sunlight in their first battle against superman?

Badabing
Originally posted by Dum Dum Dugan
What are the most over played strengths, for example Thunder claps. Other examples might be Spiderman can't be touch becuase of spider senses ect. Healing, prep, speed.

Omega Vision
how many times has a superman enemy created kryptonite or red sunlight in their first battle against superman?
Kryptonite Man? Metallo?

Red Star used red sun radiation against Prime in IC.

Starscream M
Kryptonite Man? Metallo?

Red Star used red sun radiation against Prime in IC. kryptonite man and metallo are basically characters that were born solely to take advantage of superman's weakness...so they're hardly apt examples

Rage.Of.Olympus
During JLA/Avengers, Radioactive Man was able to create Kryptonite to bring down Superman. Solarr was present as well and he was bombarding Superman with Red Solar Radiation.

Spire
how many times has a superman enemy created kryptonite or red sunlight in their first battle against superman?

First issue?

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060110224439/marvel_dc/images/4/40/Superman_v.2_01.jpg

Q99
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
During JLA/Avengers, Radioactive Man was able to create Kryptonite to bring down Superman. Solarr was present as well and he was bombarding Superman with Red Solar Radiation.

And didn't a Superman villain specifically tell them to?

Spire
Technically a Lex feat...

psycho gundam
Originally posted by 753
You cant really know that, emotions can't be quantified. only cause it's hulk

kyle and hal get a pass

also, hulk gains power from radiation absorbtion also

idiots

Lord Feron
Speed and Stenrgth Greater than everything else. I remember someone said SBP could fly through LT and kill him... no expression

Bentley
Being Doctor Doom.

IDK of course he's not 24/7 keeping them up but I'm sure that it's written in the rules that in a battle here he starts with shields up. They're not autoshields, so by arena rules he doesnt start with them on. In comics and more realistic scenarios he never goes anywhere he thinks there is a remote possibilty of conflict without them on.

Does he have them on at all times in comics? Seems like he'd need to be concentrating to keep them up and that would get maddeningly tiresome ten hours into the day. He can keep them up for days on end though.

King Castle
spiderman has Firelord pounding speed and strength..

no one below herald stands a chance.

OneDumbG0
Shields that apparently are on as soon as the proverbial bell rings even when the characters with said shields have few/no real feats of speed/reflex to justifiy that proposition. I like this answer. Originally posted by Bentley
Being Doctor Doom. I... dislike this answer. uhuh

King Castle
lobo he has tune powers so logic nor consistency apply to him so he wins,

Bentley
I... dislike this answer. uhuh

biscuits

OneDumbG0
Guy Gardner being Guy Gardner.

His superiority being undeniably true does nothing to change how often it's played out. uhuh

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/More%20Random/GuyGardner01.jpg

Parmaniac
Originally posted by psycho gundam
only cause it's hulk

kyle and hal get a pass

also, hulk gains power from radiation absorbtion also

idiots laughing

King Castle
Jobber aura of cap, DD..

i dont care how skilled they are they shouldnt be able to hurt certain characters with punches and kicks once they have a certain lvl of invulnerability, durability or HF.

also Ironfist Train busting punches and kicks in high intense battle.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Shields that apparently are on as soon as the proverbial bell rings even when the characters with said shields have few/no real feats of speed/reflex to justifiy that proposition.

Who does this refer to?

Colossus-Big C
Supermans Strength
i remember a formula not to long ago by H18 that superman was billions of times stronger than thor

Dum Dum Dugan
H18 an idiot.

The Nuul
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
Supermans Strength
i remember a formula not to long ago by H18 that superman was billions of times stronger than thor

H1 is a moron, I lol at his shit. Supes >>> LT.

Tha C-Master
MA

amnesia
I like it when he takes himself seriously. He is like quan. Only unfunny and not troll.

Omega Vision
Who does this refer to?
Thanos and Invisible Woman mostly. Though there are others.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Thanos and Invisible Woman mostly. Though there are others.

Interesting....

We know Fallen One can go FTL correct? We know his shtick is a speed bull rush... he did it Thanos ship.. a planet etc etc. He tried it on Thanos... he was stopped dead in his tracks with Thanos quick reflexes.

We know Thor's hammer can go FTL as shown multiple times. We don't know how fast it was thrown but what we do know is that it takes very quick reflexes regardless. Thanos has raised is hand after it was thrown and stopped it with a mere gesture.

We know Ganymede thing is to speed blitz people.. she did it to surfer and blitzed him and done it to others... She tried it on Thanos and was reacted to and dealt with swiftly.

How about the Maker feat... We know energy blasts can be fired at FTL speeds... Yet what makes this even more impressive was how close Thanos was... She fires a blast and POINT BLANK range and thanos reacts and swats it away.. He has that kinda reflexes.

I won't even get into the surfer who was going exponentially faster than light and reacted to. Don't need to.. Those are just a few examples of his reaction times.. and thus your... no much evidence for him doing so.. is well.. laughable. He does have the feats to back it up.

What is even funnier is if you ask ODG about it.. he'll tell you Thanos's shields are ALWAYS up. Thus, it wouldn't matter. I don't agree but that is his theory which you must also disagree with.

janus77
The Runner embarassed Thanos with his speed, didn't he?

King Castle
superman has high MA to equal the best b/c he fought in asgard and batman/wonderwoman and his kryptonian training says so although he has a completely different fighting style 99.99% of the time.

Lord_Talron
because hes had so much head trauma that he cant remember it all the time

King Castle
thunderstrike isnt a brick b/c he couldnt stop a charging forward juggernaut and was walked over by him.

h1a8
Interesting....

We know Fallen One can go FTL correct? We know his shtick is a speed bull rush... he did it Thanos ship.. a planet etc etc. He tried it on Thanos... he was stopped dead in his tracks with Thanos quick reflexes.

We know Thor's hammer can go FTL as shown multiple times. We don't know how fast it was thrown but what we do know is that it takes very quick reflexes regardless. Thanos has raised is hand after it was thrown and stopped it with a mere gesture.

We know Ganymede thing is to speed blitz people.. she did it to surfer and blitzed him and done it to others... She tried it on Thanos and was reacted to and dealt with swiftly.

How about the Maker feat... We know energy blasts can be fired at FTL speeds... Yet what makes this even more impressive was how close Thanos was... She fires a blast and POINT BLANK range and thanos reacts and swats it away.. He has that kinda reflexes.

I won't even get into the surfer who was going exponentially faster than light and reacted to. Don't need to.. Those are just a few examples of his reaction times.. and thus your... no much evidence for him doing so.. is well.. laughable. He does have the feats to back it up.

What is even funnier is if you ask ODG about it.. he'll tell you Thanos's shields are ALWAYS up. Thus, it wouldn't matter. I don't agree but that is his theory which you must also disagree with. It takes time to reach light speeds. Fallen One hasn't proven to obtain that speed within battle distance. Of course he can given the distance though.

Thor can throw the hammer the speed of light but that usually takes him awhile to whirl it to that speed. Just because someone is capable of doing something doesn't mean they are doing it at any given time.

Surfer wasn't trying to fight her, even though he stopped her blitz too. Unimpressive.

Energy blasts can also move under the speed of light. Makers blasts looked more like a fluffy slow blast. Lasers seem much faster.

Thanos unamped never reacted to a Surfer moving light speed or beyond.

psycho gundam
all that trash was indeed funny, but this one here had me in tears:

Originally posted by h1a8
Energy blasts can also move under the speed of light. Makers blasts looked more like a fluffy slow blast. Lasers seem much faster.

at least your fox news type bias is humorous, finding asinine ways to arouse doubt in any marvel feat (that spider-man didn't do) is a skill for sure

-Pr-
superman has high MA to equal the best b/c he fought in asgard and batman/wonderwoman and his kryptonian training says so although he has a completely different fighting style 99.99% of the time.

nobody claims that. he IS a good fighter, though.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Interesting....

What is even funnier is if you ask ODG about it.. he'll tell you Thanos's shields are ALWAYS up. Thus, it wouldn't matter. I don't agree but that is his theory which you must also disagree with.

Still waiting on Omega since he claimed Thanos doesn't have the feats to back up the reaction time claims

Parmaniac
all that trash was indeed funny, but this one here had me in tears:

at least your fox news type bias is humorous, finding asinine ways to arouse doubt in any marvel feat (that spider-man didn't do) is a skill for sure He's got a point I mean take a close look at the comic in fact the blast is standing still eek!

KuRuPT Thanosi
blast is standing still.. WTF does that mean. They are like a foot apart so of course it's going to appear not to be moving fast as it had no length to travel.

carver9
If anybody tag Flash they have faster than light reflexes.

Parmaniac
blast is standing still.. WTF does that mean. They are like a foot apart so of course it's going to appear not to be moving fast as it had no length to travel. Dude it was a joke, I was reffering that you cannot say how fast it is cause it's just a pic in a comic and not moving.

Philosophía
Unless a specific reference for how fast the energy blast goes is given, swatting/blocking etc. those blasts is inconsequential to the character's actual combat superspeed.

I know this must be hard for the fans, especially for those of characters who have close to none speed feats other than that (like Thanos fans, you can go eat a dick Bran) but it's quite idiotic to judge it otherwise.

Omega Vision
Still waiting on Omega since he claimed Thanos doesn't have the feats to back up the reaction time claims
I personally don't see the Maker showing as a FTL reaction feat. Same with the hammer thing, because that presupposes that Thor's hammer always travels FTL.

Fallen One seems legit though. I'm just curious where you stood on the Etrigan vs Dante debate where the point of contention was whether defeating a speed blitz by Superman was indicative of lightspeed reflexes.

Can you find the quote where ODG said this? Because in my experience watching you two debate you all too often strawman him or twist what he said to suit your ends.

OneDumbG0

Parmaniac
laughing

KuRuPT Thanosi
I personally don't see the Maker showing as a FTL reaction feat. Same with the hammer thing, because that presupposes that Thor's hammer always travels FTL.

Fallen One seems legit though. I'm just curious where you stood on the Etrigan vs Dante debate where the point of contention was whether defeating a speed blitz by Superman was indicative of lightspeed reflexes.

Can you find the quote where ODG said this? Because in my experience watching you two debate you all too often strawman him or twist what he said to suit your ends.

Ask ODG yourself. He will have no issue stating that Thanos always has his shields up by default. I disagree with it but that is certainly his view point.

As far as your question... ummmmm was it stated that superman was fighting at FTL speeds?

KuRuPT Thanosi
Right. Because it's dumb to analogize the properties of energy blasts with electromagnetic radiation, the forms of which all move at light speed. And this isn't supported at all by various energy blasts (that don't comfortably conform to the spectrum of electromagnetic radiation) going at the speed of light or exceeding the speed of light on-panel.

It would be smarter to analogize the properties of energy blasts as going at the speed of a cheetah. Clearly.

This is not idiotic. Thus, with your blessing, I nominate "cheetah speeds" as the default energy blast speed unless otherwise stated. And anybody who slaps away an energy blast has FTC reflexes.

bwahahaha. Mark it down... we agree on something. You're saying that energy blasts could reasonably considered to go at the speed of light considering their make up right?

Omega Vision
Ask ODG yourself. He will have no issue stating that Thanos always has his shields up by default. I disagree with it but that is certainly his view point.

As far as your question... ummmmm was it stated that superman was fighting at FTL speeds?
No. But was it stated that Fallen One or Ganymede were fighting at FTL speeds? Or did you just assume that because they are capable of FTL speeds?

Philosophía
Right. Because it's dumb to analogize the properties of energy blasts with electromagnetic radiation, the forms of which all move at light speed.Yes, that's right. See? You're not as dumb as I thought.

In fact, I'm fairly certain that if I continued reading your post past this point, you couldn't possibly be stupid enough to go 'all energy is electromagnetic energy is lightspeed - thus everyone who has reacted to energy blasts in any way in comics has FTL movements'.

OneDumbG0
^ You're right. I didn't state that.

Because suggesting that it's reasonable to analogize the speed of energy blasts with the speed of elctromagnetic radiation =/= stating all energy blasts are electromagnetic radiation thus they all go at light speeds.

Especially considering we've seen energy blasts that don't comfortably fit into the spectrum of standard electromagnetic radiation be quantified as moving at light speeds and exceeding light speeds. And if I said energy blasts all go at light speeds that would completely ignore the times where energy blasts actually exceed light speeds. Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
bwahahaha. Mark it down... we agree on something. You're saying that energy blasts could reasonably considered to go at the speed of light considering their make up right? No. Wrong.

Because energy blasts are made up of cheetah pieces. Ergo, they go at cheetah speeds.

Philosophía
stating that it's reasonable to analogize the speed of energy blasts with the speed of elctromagnetic radiation Yes, that part is what I'm reffering to as so dense it's amazing an E-blackhole hasn't been formed once it was posted.

You actually think that it's ok to consider random energy blasts lightspeed because it's a resonable conclusion since electromagnetic radiation is? Because that might just be the dumbest thing I've heard in months.

KuRuPT Thanosi
No. But was it stated that Fallen One or Ganymede were fighting at FTL speeds? Or did you just assume that because they are capable of FTL speeds?

That is the thing... in the example you used I would say this.... He showed that he could deal with combat speed effectively of a character who can fight very fast. This doesn't mean react to FTL punches or kicks per se.. but does show he can deal with a fast opponent and has good reaction speed.

Ummm yes in the case of the Fallen one it was said. That was HIS thing. To go FTL and crash into things.. he did so to a planet and Thanos ship. Yet you wanna assume he reduced his usual schtick for Thanos?

KuRuPT Thanosi

Philosophía
Adress me when you're capable of comprehending even the simplest of posts.

OneDumbG0

Philosophía
Because what we see as energy blasts shouldn't be analogized with the form of energy that we are all familiar with, i.e., electromagnetic radiation. Exactly.
And various energy blasts throughout comics have been quantified on-panel as going at the speed of light or exceeding the speed of light. So that means that all energy blasts can be quantified at lightspeed or above?

I guess I was right. This is the stupidest thing uttered in months.

OneDumbG0

Philosophía
I understand you now.I doubt that, since comics seem to present so much difficulty.
No. That means that many energy blasts have been quantified as going at the speed of light or exceeding the speed of light. Ergo, there's a recurring pattern here that when energy blasts/rays/lasers are quantified on-panel, it's at or above the speed of light, or more appropriately, the speed of electromagnetic radiation. Which is what we humble "common knowledgers" automatically think of when we think of energy.Some energy blasts being quantified as going the speed of light or above doesn't make it so that it's safe to assume that every energy blast is at that level thus every instance of a character reacting to one being a demonstration of lightspeed/ftl reaction time and movement.

How can you possibly think this standpoint is valid, considering there have been characters who've blocked/reacted to energy blasts who have absolutley no business being at that level and, assuming you've consistently read comics (which I know you have, since you made two of the largest respect threads on this site) you must know that normal energy blasts are scarcely portrayed at the level you seem to implying it's safe to assume all of them are.

In fact right now I can directly show you an example of energy attacks that are specifically part of the electromagnetic spectrum being portrayed inconsistently and characters who have no business being in the vecinity of lightspeed reacting to them.

OneDumbG0

Philosophía
call it PIS and you can be happy with yourself. I actually lol'd at that one, because the reverse is true - unless you consider everytime somebody has reacted to an energy blast after it's fired, in any way - PIS, then it means that you're entire..can I call it argument? No. Let's call it "ODGs epic generalization fail'. Yes, that one falls in on itself.

And yes, I am quite familiar with aim dodging - that's not what I was talking about.

psycho gundam
so er'body can see what the issue is:

http://a.imageshack.us/img690/4617/maker26di.jpg

OneDumbG0

Philosophía
Right. Because the Silver Surfer is more like Wolverine and therefore it is more reasonable to ignore (i) the reasonability of conflating the concept of comic book energy blasts/rays/lasers with the concept of electromagnetic radiation (which is pretty much the concept of energy), (ii) the recurring pattern of energy blasts/rays/lasers traveling or exceeding light speed on-panel, and (iii) your transparent use of a circular argument fallacy.

Well, your confidence in your conclusions are clearly demonstrated by your dismissive attitude and ease with labeling any notions of the contrary as the "stupidest thing in months." Ergo, I presume that you must have scoress of pieces of on-panel evidence that completely and utterly outweigh (a) all the times random energy blasts are actually quantified as light speed or light speed+, (b) the concept of thinking that energy blasts/rays/lasers are analogous to the concept of electromagnetic radiation...

... which especially have nothing to do with (c) a case of aim-dodging or aim-blocking. Can you post these scores of pieces of on-panel evidence? Actually... why am I selling you short? You must have hundreds.

You don't seem to understand that it's not my job to prove anything wrong to the countrary - when your stance itself is utter superficial generalization that is based on a few cherry picked examples that you want to apply across the whole line of showings so that any time any character has reacted in any way to an energy blast after it's fired it means he has reacted to something incoming at him at speeds comparable to radiation for the electromagnetic spectrum at least - if not higher.

And that is simply too stupid to put into words. Nothing is 'safe' or 'resonable' to assume - considering the plethora of energy variations and portrayals of energy blasts that the comics have presented - only in a simplistic line of thinking could you possibly rationalize 'a few = all'.

This is not a contest of how many energy blasts going at/above lightspeed you can show me, and how many of people reacting to one after they're fired I can show you - because neither you nor I can generalize it as "since I've showed more, it obviously means that I can generalize it as every blast having the same speed properties as the examples I've brought up".

The fact that you would even ask that is unfathomably idiotic logic. If it weren't for the structure of your post, I'd say I was talking to quanchi who smoked pot and figured he'd post on KMC.

psycho gundam

OneDumbG0

Philosophía
this is kinda true, but at the range of the shot (scan is above), the blast doesn't really give any sort of impression of anything slower than say a havok/cyclops/insert beam user blast other than the fact that it was intercepted.

plus the distance in between both combatants kinda negates whatever speed it was, even returning a tennis ball serve from a machine at that distance is nothing to sneeze at. Just for fun, speaking of Cyclops:
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/th_FknWolverine.jpg
(notice something similar?)
or
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/1097/opticblastyw9.jpg

Or Vulcan fast enough to bend Cyclops' attack to his whim:
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb312/RespectThread/Vulcan/fights/fight%201/3.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb312/RespectThread/Vulcan/fights/fight%201/4.jpg

Or maybe an example with another vision user would be good. One that will give namorsubby an orgasm:
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/th_DeathstrokeReactstoHV1.jpghttp://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/Max_Eisenhardt/th_DeathstrokeReactstoHV2.jpg

Deathstroke actually percieves and reacts at heat vision coming twoards him. I'm probably going to put that in the respect thread.

These were just ones I randomly remembered.

The catch? Both of these attacks have much more validity of being argued for as lightspeed than the attack with Thanos - since one of them has even been stated as lightspeed while the other one is part of the electromagnetic spectrum - which speaks lengths of the consistency within comics when it comes to energy attacks.

But these discussion has even deviated from the Thanos/Maker example and moved into the abyss of ignorance - he actually thinks it's resonable to make a generalization like that and is facetious enough to actually ask me to prove that's not the case. Yeah, that's not going to work. In fact, I have to say this whole discussion won't have a happy ending and will end when one of us gets a warning. In conclusion, cheetah speed ODG, sure.

OneDumbG0

Omega Vision

Philosophía
I posted the examples to prove the consistency of energy blasts' portrayal within comics - even of those who are legitimately lightspeed - and thus the nonsensical act of generalizing every energy blast, even those who are not specifically shown/stated to be lightspeed like the ones above who themselves are portrayed inconsitently.

I'm just futher destroying your non-existent argument by showing that there's no consistency even between the scenes involving attacks that are demonstrably lightspeed - and you're trying to generalize it by shoving every energy blast in a specific frame of speed, based on examples of different energy-based attacks, ignoring the vast variations of energy within the comics universe.

The fact that I'm even explaining this is just.. Like I said, there's a reason I'm closing down this discussion. I don't wanna get banned.

OneDumbG0

Philosophía
You don't understand - those weren't counter arguments because as I said the first time you tried to go "show me scans of people dodging energy blasts after they're fired who have no business doing it and I'll show you scans of energy blasts being quantified at lightspeed or above" - you simply have no argument to start with, and going 'your scan-my scan' doesn't prove anything and it's an asinine way to continue the discussion.

Your wishful comic-wide energy blast generalization based on specific examples - and even more, you asking me to give counter-examples when you had no valid ground to start with were quite astounding. I don't need to 'throw the concept in doubt' because there's no concept to throw.

I'm going to watch some tennis now. And I'm not going to pursue the discussion anymore. Like I said, if it makes you feel fulfilled, think that my argument is based on 'cheetah speed'.

KuRuPT Thanosi
ODG cracks me up sometimes.

By the way Philo are you claiming that unless it's stated to be traveling at FTL speeds we can never assume it was? Even though we know, as ODG explained, that it wouldn't be way off to assume it very could be knowing what we do about what makes up an energy blast. So for you, it has to be specifically stated to be traveling as such? ODG isn't saying ALL blast all just because they are energy blasts... he's saying because fo their make up it isn't a bad line of thinking it very well could be moving at the light speed.

OneDumbG0

-Pr-
Cyclops' blasts don't move at light speed. That was a one or two off, inconsistent panel.

Omega Vision
I'm pretty sure Starfire's star bolts are also sub-luminal.

OneDumbG0
Originally posted by -Pr-
Cyclops' blasts don't move at light speed. That was a one or two off, inconsistent panel. I'm going to go with these two examples off the top of my head along with my reading of his appearances...

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Even%20More%20Random/OpticBlast02.jpg

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Even%20More%20Random/OpticBlast03.jpg

... over speculative doubt, which so far... haven't been supported in this discussion by anything other than PIS. I find the plain presentation of the above more reliable as a personal matter.

-Pr-
I'm going to go with these two examples off the top of my head along with my reading of his appearances...

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Even%20More%20Random/OpticBlast02.jpg

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/OneDumbG0/Even%20More%20Random/OpticBlast03.jpg

... over speculative doubt, which so far... haven't been supported in this discussion by anything other than PIS. I find the plain presentation of the above more reliable as a personal matter.

the top one was one of the examples. his blasts shouldn't even bend like that.

the second isn't much in the way of evidence, imo.

plus, there are dozens of examples of his blasts being dodged that contradict those scans.

I have read a little Cyclops too, y'know.

OneDumbG0
the top one was one of the examples. his blasts shouldn't even bend like that.

the second isn't much in the way of evidence, imo.

plus, there are dozens of examples of his blasts being dodged that contradict those scans.

I have read a little Cyclops too, y'know. Apparently when they're guided by a forcefield, they do.

Clearly.

People dodge light speed attacks a lot. People miss with light speed attacks a lot. Cyclops being a poontang and missing =/= his optic blasts not going light speed.

I am very aware of that. I am also very aware of your past arguments over Cyclops' missing. I agree with the counter-arguments already presented. Particularly when I believe the sheer speed of Cyclops' optic blast is consistently characterized as a boon and not an exploitable vulnerability.

-Pr-
Apparently when they're guided by a forcefield, they do.

Clearly.

People dodge light speed attacks a lot. People miss with light speed attacks a lot. Cyclops being a poontang and missing =/= his optic blasts not going light speed.

I am very aware of that. I am also very aware of your past arguments over Cyclops' missing. I agree with the counter-arguments already presented. Particularly when I believe the sheer speed of Cyclops' optic blast is consistently characterized as a boon and not an exploitable vulnerability.

which is retarded.

I never said it was the same thing. What i said it points to it not being light speed. He's been stated as having crazy accuracy, and has always had decent reflexes. Yet he misses more often than he should.

in what way is it a boon?

OneDumbG0
which is retarded.

I never said it was the same thing. What i said it points to it not being light speed. He's been stated as having crazy accuracy, and has always had decent reflexes. Yet he misses more often than he should.

in what way is it a boon? You shoot a beam of light into a black flexible curving rubber tube. Does light travel through it and come out at the other end of it? Yes. To the naked eye, would it appear that the light is bending and curving around? Yes. Invisible Woman's strong forcefields being invisible and showing the redirection is consistent with this.

I would rather argue that Cyclops' aim isn't infallible, nor the servos in his visor instantaneous, and his usual extreme accuracy is evidence of the optic blasts' sheer speed, not evidence against it.

He can blast people who are very far away nigh instantaneously, he can let his blasts bounce around in a sustained, yet still instantaneous, ricochet effect and still hit his target, he has beaten speedsters with his optic blasts, he has forced speedsters to exploit Cyclops' other vulnerabilities to avoid his blasts' sheer speed, etc.

-Pr-
You shoot a beam of light into a black flexible curving rubber tube. Does light travel through it and come out at the other end of it? Yes. To the naked eye, would it appear that the light is bending and curving around? Yes. Invisible Woman's strong forcefields being invisible and showing the redirection is consistent with this.

I would rather argue that Cyclops' aim isn't infallible, nor the servos in his visor instantaneous, and his usual extreme accuracy is evidence of the optic blasts' sheer speed, not evidence against it.

He can blast people who are very far away nigh instantaneously, he can let his blasts bounce around in a sustained, yet still instantaneous, ricochet effect and still hit his target, he has beaten speedsters with his optic blasts, he has forced speedsters to exploit Cyclops' other vulnerabilities to avoid his blasts' sheer speed, etc.

Except Cyclops' beams aren't like normal light, and should bounce rather than bend.

How? You're actually saying that it's his speed as much as if not more than his accuracy that makes him so dangerous?

Yes, and I would say that his aim has as much influence in that as any speed his blasts might do.

One thing i'd say, though (all other arguments aside):

How would you explain a blast like this?

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6990/uncannyxmen394p18.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

h1a8
Because of cheetahs. Energy blasts are more like cheetahs. I understand you now.

No. That means that many energy blasts have been quantified as going at the speed of light or exceeding the speed of light. Ergo, there's a recurring pattern here that when energy blasts/rays/lasers are quantified on-panel, it's at or above the speed of light, or more appropriately, the speed of electromagnetic radiation. Which is what we humble "common knowledgers" automatically think of when we think of energy. Accordingly, it's reasonable to assume that energy blasts/rays/lasers are moving at the speed of light. That's what I suggested.

And energy blasts being made of cheetahs is one of the smartest things uttered in months. I am proud to have been influenced by your prodigious intelligence. Energy blasts have almost never been quantified as going at the speed of light or beyond.

Omega Vision
Energy blasts have almost never been quantified as going at the speed of light or beyond. I would go as far as to say never.
Okay, whichever side of the debate you're on (I'm leaning toward the don't assume side personally) this is an unequivocally wrong statement.

h1a8
Those weren't counter arguments because they're PIS. Like I literally announced before you even posted those scans. Just because I predicted what these awesomely reliable scans of on-panel evidence were going to be BEFORE you got a chance to post them doesn't infuse them with probative value. They're PIS. It's a reasonable generalization because (i) energy beams/rays/lasers that clearly have to do with the E-M spectrum like light, photons, x-rays, gamma rays, etc. clearly go at light speed just by their very nature, (ii) a wide variety of energy beams/rays/lasers that have nothing to do with the E-M spectrum OR each other, have already been quantified as meeting/exceeding light speed, e.g., Cyclops' optic blasts, Superman's HV, GL blasts, Iron Man's repulsor rays, Darkseid's Omega Beams, etc., (iii) I haven't been presented on-panel evidence that measures various energy beams/rays/lasers as being far slower than light (barring your laughable attempt to present PIS), and (iv) the concept of "comic book energy" should intrinsically involve the very concept of energy we're familiar with, i.e., the E-M spectrum, which again travels at light speed.

And on another note, do you believe that it's reasonable to ignore key words like "ray" or "beam" or "laser," which inherently associate/connect to the concept of light? Did you think the entirety of comics constantly uses this terminology as a complete accident? Or, looking at it from a different angle, have you seen or do you imagine this exchange occurring in a comic:

Captain Mar-Vell: "You may be more powerful! But my photonic blasts go at the speed of light!!! And-because-your-energy-blasts-aren't-specifically-contained-within-the-known-E-M-spectrum-so-accordingly-I-shall-assume-that-they-are-much-slower-than-light... ergo... I have the speed advantage, Titan!"

Thanos: "CURSES!!!111"

In the end, you did not convince me that "energy-blasts-can-generally-be-assumed-to-travel-light-speed" as a concept is unreasonable. Nor did you convince me that the idea is the "stupidest thing in months." In fact, that's exactly the idea that comics generally portray. But I understand you're fine resting your laurels on three instances of PIS. And if relying on PIS justifies your dismissive attitude towards contrary arguments or proof, that's your cup of tea.

"Energy blasts are made of cheetahs." <--- Stupidest thing I've heard in months. And I'm ready to argue that with proof. Might be a slight change of pace. It's amazing how you still argue lies. You say that a WIDE VARIETY OF ENERGY BEAMS have been quantified on panel as meeting or exceeding light speed. This is either craziness or conartistry. There is hardly any showings in the history of ALL comics that have quantified a wide variety of energy beams meeting or exceeding light. If there were then u would have a small point.

h1a8
Okay, whichever side of the debate you're on (I'm leaning toward the don't assume side personally) this is an unequivocally wrong statement. No it isn't. I've been reading comics for many years and the only reference i've seen to a beam other than electromagnetic spectrum of meeting or exceeding light is Superman's HV. I dare anyone in the universe to show me more than 3 other instances of a beam other than the one's I named being stated on panel to meet or exceed the speed of light. It must be an energy beam now and not telepathy.

OneDumbG0
Except Cyclops' beams aren't like normal light, and should bounce rather than bend.

How? You're actually saying that it's his speed as much as if not more than his accuracy that makes him so dangerous?

Yes, and I would say that his aim has as much influence in that as any speed his blasts might do.When light goes into that black rubber tube the photons are bouncing around. But to the naked eye, it looks like the entire beam of light is bending/curving if the tube were invisible like Invisible Woman's forcefields.

If his beams traveled at bullet speed, Cyclops would have a far tougher time overcoming the odds he has faced. Originally posted by -Pr-
One thing i'd say, though (all other arguments aside):

How would you explain a blast like this?

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6990/uncannyxmen394p18.th.jpg As an isolated instance of one comic artist's portrayal of Cyclops using pot-shots of his beams. Similar to how other people have used their beams, e.g., Superman, Majestic and GLs. Originally posted by h1a8
It's amazing how you still argue lies. You say that a WIDE VARIETY OF ENERGY BEAMS have been quantified on panel as meeting or exceeding light speed. This is either craziness or conartistry. There is hardly any showings in the history of ALL comics that have quantified a wide variety of energy beams meeting or exceeding light. If there were then u would have a small point. Right. I forgot that the entire basis of this new "cheetah speed" argument revolved around one of your arguments, h1a8.

GL blasts, Superman's HV, Cyclops' optic blasts, Darkseid's Omega Beams, Iron Man's repulsor rays were the ones I mentioned off the top of my head. This is a wide variety of energy beams/rays/lasers that have nothing to do with each other, but coincidentally enough, have been specifically quantified on-panel as matching/exceeding light speed. And I haven't seen that kind of wide variety of scans where energy blasts are specifically quantified as going at "cheetah speed" at all. The entire E-M spectrum of known energy also travels at light speed.

And the argument is, whether this coincidence is indicative of a clearly obvious pattern... or, "energy blast default speed = cheetah speed," or apparently, "conartistry."

psycho gundam
It's amazing how you still argue lies. it's amazing how you have the audacity to say someone has a reputation (other than yourself) of doing that

-Pr-
When light goes into that black rubber tube the photons are bouncing around. But to the naked eye, it looks like the entire beam of light is bending/curving if the tube were invisible like Invisible Woman's forcefields.

If his beams traveled at bullet speed, Cyclops would have a far tougher time overcoming the odds he has faced. As an isolated instance of one comic artist's portrayal of Cyclops using pot-shots of his beams. Similar to how other people have used their beams, e.g., Superman, Majestic and GLs. Right. I forgot that the entire basis of this new "cheetah speed" argument revolved around one of your arguments, h1a8.

GL blasts, Superman's HV, Cyclops' optic blasts, Darkseid's Omega Beams, Iron Man's repulsor rays were the ones I mentioned off the top of my head. This is a wide variety of energy beams/rays/lasers that have nothing to do with each other, but coincidentally enough, have been specifically quantified on-panel as matching/exceeding light speed. And I haven't seen that kind of wide variety of scans where energy blasts are specifically quantified as going at "cheetah speed" at all. The entire E-M spectrum of known energy also travels at light speed.

And the argument is, whether this coincidence is indicative of a clearly obvious pattern... or, "energy blast default speed = cheetah speed," or apparently, "conartistry."

i never said bullet speed, though.

it's not an isolated incident either.

but i get it. you're trying to argue that all energy blasts are light speed because of your Thor thread. it's ok. i'll leave you be. stick out tongue

OneDumbG0
i never said bullet speed, though.

it's not an isolated incident either.Right... "cheetah speed," I forgot.

And if it's not?Originally posted by -Pr-
but i get it. you're trying to argue that all energy blasts are light speed because of your Thor thread. it's ok. i'll leave you be. Right. I crafted this idea for my Respect Thread. And every poster that's ever used energy blasts as a measure of superspeed was actually a fellow conspirator. Clearly you have only now understood the scale upon which I operate. /cue evil laughter

I jest. But I'll be just as cheeky and assume that this "cheetah speed" argument is primarily sourced in Superman butt-hurt. Because the old adage of "speed kills" consistently gets stunted by on-panel evidence of superspeed reflexes. And it hurts teh butts when Superman's perennial hypothetical opponents, Surfer and Thor and Thanos, have demonstrated superspeed reflexes and are (because it's reasonable to) permitted that benefit in a hypothetical fight.

On a semi-related tangent, I find this "cheetah speed" argument to be even more dubious when they're not equally applied to Superman fans constantly pointing to his ability to vibrate invisible or intangible as clear evidence of zomgpwnerzcombatsuperspeed. Then again... should I really be surprised?

-Pr-
Right... "cheetah speed," I forgot.

And if it's not?Right. I crafted this idea for my Respect Thread. And every poster that's ever used energy blasts as a measure of superspeed was actually a fellow conspirator. Clearly you have only now understood the scale upon which I operate. /cue evil laughter

I jest. But I'll be just as cheeky and assume that this "cheetah speed" argument is primarily sourced in Superman butt-hurt. Because the old adage of "speed kills" consistently gets stunted by on-panel evidence of superspeed reflexes. And it hurts teh butts when Superman's perennial hypothetical opponents, Surfer and Thor and Thanos, have demonstrated superspeed reflexes and are (because it's reasonable to) permitted that benefit in a hypothetical fight.

On a semi-related tangent, I find this "cheetah speed" argument to be even more dubious when they're not equally applied to Superman fans constantly pointing to his ability to vibrate invisible or intangible as clear evidence of zomgpwnerzcombatsuperspeed. Then again... should I really be surprised?

cheetah what? as in DC cheetah?

what do you mean "if". it's not an isolated incident. there are TONS of scans where he's using more than one blast in the same panel. so either he has FTL movements and reflexes, or his blasts aren't lightspeed.

nice attempted-deflection btw. stick out tongue

edit: just to clarify, there are more instances of him using more than one blast on panel than there are instances of people claiming it's light-speed.

psycho gundam
cheetah what? as in DC cheetah? no, this one:

http://i56.tinypic.com/16k3n61.jpg

OneDumbG0
cheetah what? as in DC cheetah?"Cheetah" as in: "Well clearly the default speed must not be light, and frankly, we cannot concede the notion that default speed should even be bullets since we won't even countenance conceding them having FTB reflexes... but it must be some arbitrary quantification of speed that does nothing to enhance the characters beyond our arbitrarily low quantifications of them... so... let's think of something that's colloquially known as fast... but at the same time really really slow... the speed of... a... cheetah??? Yes. THAT'S. IT. Cheetah speed. This is both fast enough AND slow enough for our arbitrary rationale and transparent purposes. Win!" Originally posted by -Pr-
what do you mean "if". it's not an isolated incident. there are TONS of scans where he's using more than one blast in the same panel. so either he has FTL movements and reflexes, or his blasts aren't lightspeed.Right. Tons. How about we stick with the actual on-panel quantifications here. If they're good enough for "cheetah speed" proponents, h1a8 and Philosophia, they should be good enough for you. Originally posted by -Pr-
nice attempted-deflection btw.

edit: just to clarify, there are more instances of him using more than one blast on panel than there are instances of people claiming it's light-speed. Just to clarify... are you referring to the Superman butt-hurt comment or the apparent hypocrisy that this "cheetah speed" argument's never been reflected back at Superman's own zomgpwnerzcombatsuperspeed feats of vibrating invisible or intangible? Just to clarify.

Again... good enough for h1a8 and Philosophia... good enough for you. I'm not attacking Cyclops' character. Him missing is not a slight on his accuracy. People have missed with laser vision powers. People with combat superspeed have missed with laser vision powers. It happens. And I'm not going to repeat the many arguments that you've confronted in the past over this.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>