Which Of These Countries Has The Potential To Become A Superpower?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

majid86
Here is the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_superpowers

I think China & Russia are the 2 most likely to gain superpowers status with Brazil coming in 3rd place.
India has no chance though despite what Indians keep on saying all the time.

Please remember that the EU is NOT a country so there is no point saying that.

RE: Blaxican
India.

majid86
LMFAO

Rapscallion
i don't see greece on there

Lord Lucien
Poland/Turkey/Japan.

At least according to The Next 100 Years.

King Kandy
China and India are the most likely.

majid86
LOL at everyone picking India as a potential superpower in the future.
Indians cannot be taken seriously:

KaR04R470hU

You see what i mean, but i'd would'nt mind banging the life outta Katrina Kaif a couple of times.

King Kandy
You interested in actually bringing up a (not stupid) reason why India can't be a superpower? It is developing extremely fast in all economic fields.

majid86
Caste System

King Kandy
Originally posted by majid86
Caste System
Does not exist legally, and I fail to realize why an unofficial caste system would stop them from being a superpower.

AthenasTrgrFngr
china definitely and india

im not seeing russia as a world super power any time soon i think theres too much internal instability

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by AthenasTrgrFngr
china definitely and india

im not seeing russia as a world super power any time soon i think theres too much internal instability

Why are China and India the apparent favorites? Just because they're big? They're also poor piece-a'-shits.

I think the word "superpower" needs a more concrete definition.

Kaibs
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Why are China and India the apparent favorites? Just because they're big? They're also poor piece-a'-shits.

I think the word "superpower" needs a more concrete definition.

Why are they the apparent favorites? That should be fairly obvious when you look at how they're developing.... and as for China being poor? You realize America is in DEBT to China right?

Bardock42
All 4 of those have the potential. I'd bet mostly on China though.

The EU is not a country, but they will likely work together more and more as time goes by, so they too have the potential to become a major player.

Lord Lucien
Unless debt and hard feelings tears it apart.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Unless debt and hard feelings tears it apart. Yeah, I suppose, doubt it though.

I read something a while ago which is quite accurate, also in relation to Europe's problems "The media never met a potential apocalypse it didn't like."

the ninjak
Latveria.

amnesia
Originally posted by the ninjak
Latveria.

They are already a super power. If it wasn't for that blasted Richards guy they would have conquered the world by now.

Symmetric Chaos
Of what's listed China and India are the most likely. They're not going to become "first world nations" for the most part but their economic power seems to be expanding very quickly.

The Nuul
China and India will be the closest.

The Dark Cloud
In the short term maybe China. In the long term none of them. The world will eventually be run completely by economic, rather than political interests. The world will be divided up into administrative zones run from a single location, probably in Europe. There will be a global currency, a global police force (literally, not figuratively as is now with the US). All official business will be conducted in a single language, probably English. The world of one or two generations from now will be completely unrecognizable from today not only because of technology but also because countries will cease to exist.

amnesia
That's a good thing.

The Dark Cloud
Originally posted by amnesia
That's a good thing.

Why? In a world run completely by economic interests the individual will have no rights. Business does more to restrict freedom than government ever could.

amnesia
Originally posted by The Dark Cloud
Why? In a world run completely by economic interests the individual will have no rights. Business does more to restrict freedom than government ever could.

Security>Freedom

majid86
China is the most likely.
But why doesn't anybody mention Brazil?

As for India, it has more people living under the poverty line than just about any other country in the world.
That's 465 million people.

India may have nuclear weapons but that is not enough to become a superpower, i mean Brazil has no nuclear weapons but it has a better chance than India.

I would love to see Russia as a superpower once again.

Bicnarok
China, or the religous group Islam.

Quiero Mota
Since India has over a billion people then why do they always have such a small Olympic team, who's athletes never do very well in a given event? In a land of a billion people, they can't wrangle together a decent basketball team?

^Just something I've always wondered.

Symmetric Chaos
Since India has over a billion people then why do they always have such a small Olympic team, who's athletes never do very well in a given event? In a land of a billion people, they can't wrangle together a decent basketball team?

^Just something I've always wondered.

Lack of interest in basketball?

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Lack of interest in basketball?

That's just one event out of many. I just chose that one as a for-instance. But still, in a country that big there's at least ten people who are good at b-ball. Maybe India's Olympic committee just has bad talent scouts and/or a bad selection process.

cdtm
How's China's male to female ratio looking?

I understand they've made improvements, but they really should repeal the stupid "One child per family" policy. All it does is make people drown/sell/give up females so they have a son.

When things get too unbalanced towards a single sex, that's a recipe for screwing up future generations..

lil bitchiness
I suspect it may be China. They were at one point the most technologically advanced civilization on the planet - maybe this time around they'll get to run the planet for a while, too.

majid86
China, Russia & Brazil IMO
USA even though China will overtake their economy by 2050.
India will always be a 3rd world country.

ADarksideJedi
China because they make alot of amazing stuff.

Symmetric Chaos

Russia?

RE: Blaxican
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I suspect it may be China. They were at one point the most technologically advanced civilization on the planet - maybe this time around they'll get to run the planet for a while, too. We can all certainty hope not!

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
We can all certainty hope not!

I have no problems with Chinese running the world - oldest continuing civilization with vast history to reflect on, plus some experience managing world's largest population.

Wars currently involving China - 0
Wars currently involving USA - Afghanistan, Philippines, Somalia, Iraq, North West Pakistan, Trans-Sahara.

I'm kind of optimistic about the Chinese.

Omega Vision
Russia had its time as a superpower, that's over now. And from the looks of it they aren't going to be a real contender for superpower status for at least a few decades barring a stunning shift in fortune. Right now even the most optimistic members of their government admit that their military is an ungainly, bloated remnant of the Soviet Army and that their economy is rife with problems even more so than America's. The only thing that makes them globally relevant is their nuclear arsenal, and in this day and age you can't really use that as leverage without the whole world shunning you and leveling sanctions.

They're more likely to collapse than they are to become a superpower.

As for Brazil I can't see them becoming a true global superpower in the next 50 years though they'll certainly become a regional power. In thirty years they might be where China is now: the dominant power in their region and a contender for true superpower status. But they lack the military and political power to influence events on a global scale.
I have no problems with Chinese running the world - oldest continuing civilization with vast history to reflect on, plus some experience managing world's largest population.

Wars currently involving China - 0
Wars currently involving USA - Afghanistan, Philippines, Somalia, Iraq, North West Pakistan, Trans-Sahara.

I'm kind of optimistic about the Chinese.
A lot of that history was spent waging civil wars or truckling to foreign powers though.

majid86
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Russia?

Yes, why not?

Omega Vision
Yes, why not?
Aside from the fact that at the moment they're trying to downsize their armed forces and that their economy sucks? As I said above Russia had a good run as a superpower but that ended twenty years ago.

Superpowers rarely get second chances when their time comes. I think the best you can hope for is that you become like Great Britain: still relevant and best buds with the new superpower.

majid86
Yeah and that's what Pakistan is doing with China.
But who knows what the Chinese have in store for the world when they finally become a superpower?

Its kinda creepy but just as long as China can keep India in-check then im fine with that.

Symmetric Chaos
Yes, why not?

Because they're economically and militarily weak, have an outdated infrastructure and their large size doesn't benefit them in the way it does America because so much is virtually uninhabitable.

majid86
I feel sorry for the Russians

lil bitchiness
China surpassed Japan as the number 2 economy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/15/AR2010081503697.html

Well, looks like we'll be all chatting in Mandarin soon - Ni Hao, everyne!

Bardock42
China surpassed Japan as the number 2 economy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/15/AR2010081503697.html

Well, looks like we'll be all chatting in Mandarin soon - Ni Hao, everyne!

Ah, Japan next to us is more cozy anyways.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Bardock42
Ah, Japan next to us is more cozy anyways.

I hear ya. I hate when you've got to sit next to someone rigid, serious and armed trying not to wiggle too much in case they open a can of kung-fu on your ass.
Japanese are more of a 'smile-and-nod' kind of neighbour.

§P0oONY
Ah, Japan next to us is more cozy anyways. Pfft... a cosy 6th is the place to be. None of the pressure of being with the big dogs... We can just chill with our frog homies in 5th.

Bardock42
I hear ya. I hate when you've got to sit next to someone rigid, serious and armed trying not to wiggle too much in case they open a can of kung-fu on your ass.
Japanese are more of a 'smile-and-nod' kind of neighbour.

Yeah, as World War 2 has amply proven stick out tongue

lil bitchiness

lil bitchiness
Yeah, as World War 2 has amply proven stick out tongue

Ah crap, you're right. You got to sit next to bi-polar galore. One minute it's all bowing and konichiwaing at you and the next are waging some sick ass wars and torturing people....

Germany could take on the Japanese any day though...so not too much to worry for you.

§P0oONY
Ah yes, but you may suffocate from the cigarette smoke. Still....not as stressful, indeed. Smoke rises... That's why we let them be 5th.

Bardock42

§P0oONY
brb, sorting lowest to highest...
Italy on top of us now... naughty

Bardock42

majid86
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)

1. USA
2. China
3. Japan
4. India
5. Germany
6. UK
7. Russia
8. France
9. Brazil
10. Italy

How the f*ck did India all of a sudden get to the number 4 spot?
But its great to see the UK ahead of Russia, France, Brazil & Italy but kinda sad to see Canada, Spain, South Korea & Mexico dropping a few spots.
And oh yeah its fantastic to see Pakistan in the top 30 economies of the world for the first time.
But sitting in between Colombia & Egypt can seriously f*ck you up especially since your neighbours are snorting cocaine & smoking sheesha at the same time.

lol

Bardock42

1. USA
2. China
3. Japan
4. India
5. Germany
6. UK
7. Russia
8. France
9. Brazil
10. Italy

But its great to see the UK ahead of Russia, France, Brazil & Italy but kinda sad to see Canada, Spain, South Korea & Mexico dropping a few spots.
And oh yeah its fantastic to see Pakistan in the top 30 economies of the world for the first time.

That's only if you consider PPP, which is somewhat controversial. And may change a the actual nominal GDP gets higher.

Kaibs

1. USA
2. China
3. Japan
4. India
5. Germany
6. UK
7. Russia
8. France
9. Brazil
10. Italy

A very misleading list imo. As we're slowly being economically ass raped. Japan will be no soon I think... after all they probably have a Skynet type corporation there nobody knows about.

majid86
If India does become a superpower alongside China, then i guess still they wouldn't be able to be on China's level. The Indians & the Chinese have always been at odds with each other since WW2 and will likely to have a military conflict in the future.

Russell Peters made a joke about Indians & Chinese not working together:

ZtbyVFLl_7U

lol

lil bitchiness
I love Russell Peters. One of my favourite comedian ever.

''RUSSEEEL....someone gonna get a hurt real bad''.

majid86
Russell and Chris Rock are my 2 favourite comedians.

I actually saw Russell live at a stand up show in London a few years ago and i met him backstage & he's a great person.
I lol'd whenever he talks about Sri Lankans in his jokes:

cQRezh52YpU

lol at Sri Lankans sound like pinball machines.

§P0oONY
I'm not a huge fan of Chris Rock... Most of his jokes are about being either Black or American... I am neither.

Never seen Russell Peters before though.

majid86

§P0oONY
Probably not going to be a fan of Russell Peters either. Not found any of the clips shown particularly funny. He seems to be a bit of a one trick pony... Just like most female comedians. I prefer a comedian to talk about a range of things.

majid86
Well ok then suite yourself, i personally have no problem with Russell's jokes at all.
He makes $10 million a year so good for him.

§P0oONY
I don't have a problem with them. I just don't find them very funny.

majid86
Are you from an ethnic minority by any chance, Spoony?

§P0oONY
No, I'm white.

I get that I'm not in the key demographic for this kind of stand-up. There are also very view American stand-ups I've seen that I find tolerable, so it's a mix of things.

Quiero Mota
Surprisingly, Russell Peters can do a very good Mexican accent.

Originally posted by §P0oONY
There are also very view American stand-ups I've seen that I find tolerable.

Russell Peters is Canadian.

§P0oONY
Surprisingly, Russell Peters can do a very good Mexican accent.

Russell Peters is Canadian. Exchange American for North American then... srug

majid86

§P0oONY
In fact, the only American comedian I can think of that I actively like, off hand is Reginald D Hunter... And he doesn't even work in the US.

tuq8ZU2Uf_0

Quiero Mota

Show me NOW!
I have never seen Russell make fun of Latinos, im sure it would be funny as hell.
I bet you could not tell the difference on his ethnicity. lol

He did it when he was a guest on Lopez Tonight with George Lopez. And when he was a guest on Carlos Mencia's show, they did a routine in which they had a conversation where Peters was doing a Mexican accent, and Mencia was doing an Indian accent. So they were basically making fun of each other. He's also talked about Hispanics in various stand-up routines.

You can find any of these on Youtube.

AsbestosFlaygon
China

majid86
He did it when he was a guest on Lopez Tonight with George Lopez. And when he was a guest on Carlos Mencia's show, they did a routine in which they had a conversation where Peters was doing a Mexican accent, and Mencia was doing an Indian accent. So they were basically making fun of each other. He's also talked about Hispanics in various stand-up routines.

You can find any of these on Youtube.

Thanks man, i found it:

pK-2zgS-r10

He is 100% right when he says Mexicans speak better Spanish than Spanish people themselves.
Ive been to Spain myself and they all sound fruity as hell with that stupid lisp.

Lord Lucien
Reported for saying that all Spanish people are fruity.

majid86
What?

I said they SOUND fruity, i never said that they were homosexuals are anything like that.

lil bitchiness
Spaniards are the epitome of awesome - they way they look, the way they speak, the culture, the food, the architecture of Spain, the people...everything...I'd put them up there as sexiest Europeans...

majid86
i prefer Mexico instead and Mexican girls are hotter but i wouldn't say no to a dark haired naturally tanned Southern Spanish girl at all.
They look very exotic & that's exactly what i want.

Quiero Mota
Spaniards are the epitome of awesome...the way they speak

Is dumb as hell. Chilean and Colombian Spanish both sound nice, along with Mexi-Span.

I don't like Puerto Rican Spanish though. It sounds robotic and goofy.

i prefer Mexico instead

thumb up

The best part of that video is when Peters does the impression of the Spaniard teaching the Mexicans Spanish.

"Why won't you talk like me?"

"Cuz its gay."

laughing out loud

majid86
LOL

Mexico kicks ass!

Kaibs
Russell Peters is hilarious. I also like Chris Rock though. Stand up wise Richard Pryor wins though smile

majid86
Richard Pryor suck ass & im so glad he's dead otherwise i would have killed him myself.

amnesia
Originally posted by Kaibs
Russell Peters is hilarious. I also like Chris Rock though. Stand up wise Richard Pryor wins though smile

George Carlin IMO. (Although severely overrated)

Bardock42
My favourite is probably Stewart Lee, I only know a handful of stand up comics though.

§P0oONY
My favourite is probably Stewart Lee, I only know a handful of stand up comics though. I like him a lot.

My favourite stand up changes all the time. Right now I guess I'd say it's Al Murray, but all his stuff is very similar.

Kaibs
Richard Pryor suck ass & im so glad he's dead otherwise i would have killed him myself.

Your reasons for why you dislike him?

Parmaniac
Richard Pryor suck ass & im so glad he's dead otherwise i would have killed him myself. You're doing a good job representing the peaceableness of your religion thumb up

majid86
WTF?
Im so glad that my 3 countries are all in the top 30 economies of the world.
Poor Zimbabwe is well & truly f*cked up beyond all recognition.

§P0oONY
WTF?
Im so glad that my 3 countries are all in the top 30 economies of the world.
Poor Zimbabwe is well & truly f*cked up beyond all recognition. What are your 3 countries? India, UK & Canada?

Rogue Jedi
I could care less which country is the most powerful. I'll move here:

http://www.worldinterestingfacts.com/nature/the-most-isolated-island-in-the-world-tristan-da-cunha.html

lil bitchiness
What is wrong with Richard Pryor?

I don't actually know, so I welcome some insight.

majid86

§P0oONY
LOL

UK, Canada & Pakistan NOT India!
What made you think i was Indian btw?

Its ok man, i get confused for being Indian almost everyday at work or whenever im in C. London.
At first it use to kinda piss me off but i don't mind it anymore.
I also get called regularly a Sri Lankan, Bengali, Arab, Iranian, Greek and Latino as well & sometimes i even play along with it just for fun depending on my mood. I figured India because Pakistan isn't in the top 30 economies in the world. I initially figured you were of Pakistani origin because you are Muslim (so it's the obvious one) but then you said "Im so glad that my 3 countries are all in the top 30 economies of the world."... And as Pakistan aren't I went with the only country from the Indian subcontinent that is.

majid86

§P0oONY
Nope i was right, Pakistan is actually in the top 30 economies in the world by PPP, Pakistan is number 27 sitting in between Egypt & Colombia.

Quite surprising to me honestly. Yeah, however that is using PPP. In this thread we have been using the Nominal GDP to determine it. Where Pakistan sit in the high/mid 40s.

Hence me saying India.

majid86

§P0oONY
Oh i see, well still being in the top 50 economies in the world by Nominal GDP is good enough for me.
UK, Canada & Pakistan are all in the top 50 list.

I'd also like to claim New Zealand, USA, South Africa & Australia as well because i have lots of relatives who are New Zealanders, Americans, South Africans & Australians born & raised but i cant because i have never been to these countries before so i don't have any allegiances to them, so its just UK, Canada & Pakistan for now. I've got some family in Canada... But most of them are Mormons... So I'm 100% British. stick out tongue

majid86
lol

You know i have never been to Pakistan but i still claim it as one of my countries just as much as the UK & Canada.
To be honest with you its quite strange having relatives who look similar to me but have such a strong accent of whatever city or countries they are from. I mean my Scottish cousins have such strong accents especially my cousins from Glasgow because they sound so f*cked up that i actually need subtitles to understand what the f*ck they are saying!.
I can understand my Yorkshire, Manchester, Birmingham & London cousins just fine but the Scots of my family will always sound weird to me.
Ive never had a problem with my Canadian/American relatives' accents but my Australian/New Zealand/South African relatives all sound hilarious as hell.

§P0oONY
I've lived in Scotland most my life and I still have trouble with a lot of the accents. I can't understand the Aberdeen accent and I've lived in the city for the last 3 years.

majid86
I never knew that there was an Aberdeen accent.
Does it sound better than the Glasgow accent or General Scottish accent?

§P0oONY
I never knew that there was an Aberdeen accent.
Does it sound better than the Glasgow accent or General Scottish accent? Much harder to understand than the Glaswegian accent; I have no problem with that. Broad Doric is a *****, especially when spoken quickly.

StarCraft2
china has lots of people...more man power.

jaden101

majid86

§P0oONY
Originally posted by jaden101
I'm guessing those figures were made before the flooding.

Pakistan is, for want of a better word, ****ed. Good point. The floods certainly won't be cheap... Even with international aid (which hasn't been great from most).

jaden101
Fit fit fits fit fit?

§P0oONY
OK, im gonna have to visit Aberdeen myself soon because ive never been there before so now i have a good enough reason. What the hell is Broad Doric?

But anyway i love Scotland as it is & if i was born & raised in Scotland then i would consider myself as a Scottish Asian not a British Asian just like my cousins but im not.
And i DONT want Scotland to be an independent country at all.

Same thing for Wales as well. Doric is a dialect found in the north east of Scotland... and is found in Aberdeen.

I was born in Scotland and have lived there most my life... But I'm British... And if forced to choose specifics I'd say I'm English. Both of my parents are from there and I just feel more at home there to be honest.

majid86
I see, so do they have any hot girls in Aberdeen?
I have a thing for Scottish girls you see, so check out Alexa May.
I love their accents.

§P0oONY
I see, so do they have any hot girls in Aberdeen?
I have a thing for Scottish girls you see, so check out Alexa May.
I love their accents. I wouldn't say that Aberdeen is swarming with hot girls. But there are enough. I can't say that Scottish accents are really a turn on for me. I'm pretty indifferent to be honest.

majid86
Scottish Asian women are HOT!

HaMtFko-KOM

majid86

§P0oONY
Nobody cares for Pakistan so what's the point of giving them aid in the first place?
It would be wise just to leave that country alone to deal with its own problems.

Even i haven't sent any aid over there and that says alot. Both the US and UK gave decent aid. And to be honest I think other countries would have given more had the timing been better. I know it sounds bad but after Haiti people kind of gotten over donating for things like this... One disaster funded a year or something like that.

majid86
Ditto

And i don't really care anymore, i mean im more concerned about the UK than about Pakistan.
Hopefully things will improve for everyone but im more focused on building wealth in the UK for myself then to give aid to Pakistan, im sorry but its every man for themselves.

§P0oONY
Ditto

And i don't really care anymore, i mean im more concerned about the UK than about Pakistan.
Hopefully things will improve for everyone but im more focused on building wealth in the UK for myself then to give aid to Pakistan, im sorry but its every man for themselves. Not a bad way to look at things... Charity begins at home... And my home doesn't have a big **** off TV yet.. hmm

majid86
I gotta agree with you on that.
I wanna get my own place, car & go on holidays because ive saved alot of cash for the past 4 years by working my ass off every single week.
So sorry no aid from me.

majid86
I remember a couple of years ago, Mexico & South Africa were also talked about as being future economic superpowers but its almost impossible to say that now.

UK, France & Russia will never get back to superpower status so the Russians will get cozy in between the Chinese & the Indians to stay in the world stage while the UK & France alongside Germany will continue to be the base of the EU. Spain & Italy will continue to wield more influence in the EU as their economies grow especially Spain's.

India despite having 50% of its population starving to death, will eventually slip into 3rd place behind USA & China. I got to give the Indians credit for making it this far after 60 years of independence from the UK, they have manage to out grow the 5 biggest economies of Europe (UK, France, Germany, Italy & Spain).

Japan on the other hand will always be an economic superpower but it will never become a military superpower thanks to WW2. The same could be said for South Korea as well, Indonesia will eventually become the powerhouse of SE Asia out growing Thailand, Malaysia & The Philippines. Australia & Canada are 2 large countries with well developed inferstructure and well developed economies but they have really small populations & their armed forces are well funded & equipped but are too small. And last but not least Argentina takes 2nd place behind Brazil in South America just like in football.

majid86

Grog_Burton
INDONEEEEEEEESIA

inimalist
I rend to think the term "superpower" is going to be irrelevant by the time the BRIC nations are that powerful.

While the G8 might not be the unitary force in the world, we aren't going to slip back into a USA v USSR split of all world activities, where two/three dominant powers run everything.

None of these nations are going to be, independantly, as powerful as USSR or America were (or America is today) relatively speaking. This is because America, while no longer the only player on the block, will remain strong, along with the other G8 nations.

Additionally, following behind BRIC are the N-11 nations, who will play a tremendous role in the economy of the next 100 years. Basically, in terms of real military and economic power, the top and middle are going to become more crowded, with no real clear single nation or bloc possessing the type of absolute power America has today.

Bardock42
Originally posted by inimalist
I rend to think the term "superpower" is going to be irrelevant by the time the BRIC nations are that powerful.

While the G8 might not be the unitary force in the world, we aren't going to slip back into a USA v USSR split of all world activities, where two/three dominant powers run everything.

None of these nations are going to be, independantly, as powerful as USSR or America were (or America is today) relatively speaking. This is because America, while no longer the only player on the block, will remain strong, along with the other G8 nations.

Additionally, following behind BRIC are the N-11 nations, who will play a tremendous role in the economy of the next 100 years. Basically, in terms of real military and economic power, the top and middle are going to become more crowded, with no real clear single nation or bloc possessing the type of absolute power America has today.

That's very true, the cold war definitions will very, very likely not apply again, however we can associate certain other definitions to the term superpower, it is an awfully pretty term, it would be a shame to discard it.

Omega Vision
I think the next fifty years will see the rise of a global community of regional powers with their own spheres of influence. It might not even be a matter of single nations, just look at the EU in Europe and the community of left-leaning populist democracies (some more democratic than others) in South and Central America.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.