Which characters power has held up the best?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

john allerdyce
we tend to use older versions of various characters all the time. so my question is which past version of a given character is still considered a powerhouse, even by todays standards?

I'm not looking for any cosmic type characters, or silver age/pre-crisis crap.

Omega Vision
Does Thor count as cosmic in your book? Because Classic Thor and Current Thor are more or less the same decades later.

Galan007
So you're basically asking which version of a character was a beast then, and is still considered a beast now?

If so, my choice would be H/P Doomsday. Even 15+ years later, there are very few (dare I say no) sub-Odin characters who are capable of beating him without BFR.

janus77
Rhino, he was crap then, he's crap now.

Supergirl's jailbait pow... shifty

Entity
Spiderman - His powerset complements each other about as perfectly as any ever have. He's no where near the level of allot of the characters he spars with but his combined abilities, strength, speed, agility, spidersense and webbing allow him to almost always stand toe to toe fairly decently with others that far surpass him.

Other than the other story arch and a few short lived power ups he's basically always had the same nearly completely unchanged powerset!

He's not the biggest beast of powerhouses but for his level he's remained a constant badass and as he was from the start for almost 50 years now! wink

Tha C-Master
Spider-Man is just a good all about character, not too weak, not too strong, just right.

It also makes him tough to beat because unless you go into higher levels very few outmatch him across the board, he's stronger than the faster guys and faster than the strong guys, and smarter than many as well.

dmills
So you mean who has remained the most consistant without overly dramatic power ups/downs or changes to the character. Prolly Spiderman, Cap and Daredevil. Perhaps Wolverine if you discount the HF.

dmills
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Does Thor count as cosmic in your book? Because Classic Thor and Current Thor are more or less the same decades later. Classic Thor is rollin' over in his grave looking at what Marvel is currently doing to him. Outside of his own book anyway.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by dmills
So you mean who has remained the most consistant without overly dramatic power ups/downs or changes to the character. Prolly Spiderman, Cap and Daredevil. Perhaps Wolverine if you discount the HF.
Nah Wolverine was originally nowhere near as broken as he is now.

King Castle
wolverine was turn to garbage.. classic logan is nowhere near what he is now that is including HF and not other changes done to him via powerset, dillians and history.

he is garbage now, which is a shame.

good one that hasnt really change and i still love is Captain Marvel

Bentley
Diablo and low tier characters nobody cares about tend to remain in the same levels.

CosmicComet
Captain Marvel was a beast in the Golden Age and would still be a beast now.

SuperiorTech
I think Namor has help up pretty well.

dmills
Originally posted by SuperiorTech
I think Namor has help up pretty well. Good one. And I'll add the Fantastic Four in as well.

amnesia
Good one. And I'll add the Fantastic Four in as well.

When thing first was created he was a 5 tonner : o)

willRules
Would Joe Fixit count?

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by willRules
Would Joe Fixit count?

He got stomped by Ms Marvel, so I'd say no.

Tha C-Master
Nah Wolverine was originally nowhere near as broken as he is now. Wolverine is like the most inconsistent character ever. I remember people actually arguing that he didn't change that much from his debut. He is a cool concept, the problem is they kept listening to the lowest common denominator of the fans and started to up his power instead of his character. Especially when he improves with no explanation.

Sr J-Bieb
Iron Fist. Captain America. Golden Age Deadpool.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Galan007
So you're basically asking which version of a character was a beast then, and is still considered a beast now?

If so, my choice would be H/P Doomsday. Even 15+ years later, there are very few (dare I say no) sub-Odin characters who are capable of beating him without BFR.
You already specified a version that existed in the past, "H/P", so as far as I understand, he can't count here.

King Castle
paladin

Omega Vision
Originally posted by amnesia
When thing first was created he was a 5 tonner : o)
And Sue could only turn invisible.

Dum Dum Dugan
Originally posted by King Castle
wolverine was turn to garbage.. classic logan is nowhere near what he is now that is including HF and not other changes done to him via powerset, dillians and history.

.....what? This isent right at all. His physical abilities have stay pretty much the same, they certainly have no increased..........like your implying heavily that they did. I not even sure were you get this from.

Dum Dum Dugan
what? this responses doesent even make senses. I don't understand what your even trying to say.

Broken implies a mental state which has literrally nothing to do with this thread........

StyleTime
He's means "broken" in the sense of "overpowered." The term sees more use in video games, especially fighting games, though.

Dum Dum Dugan
Originally posted by StyleTime
He's means "broken" in the sense of "overpowered." The term sees more use in video games, especially fighting games, though.
oh ok thanks.

he completely wrong though. Wolverine physical stats have not been increased. In fact his strength was slightly decreased since his creation. He originally possesed the same strength as spiderman.

Bentley
I will go ahead and say Wolverine martial arts background was a latter adition compared to the original character.

Rage.Of.Olympus
His healing factor got a boost in the last decade.

Digi
Classic Thor is rollin' over in his grave looking at what Marvel is currently doing to him. Outside of his own book anyway.

You have nostalgia goggles on here. Classic Thor jobbed all the time in the Avengers. There's always a mixed bag with powerful characters. We just didn't have the microscope focused as intently on characters during that period.

Bentley
Originally posted by Digi
You have nostalgia goggles on here. Classic Thor jobbed all the time in the Avengers. There's always a mixed bag with powerful characters. We just didn't have the microscope focused as intently on characters during that period.

Yep, Thor sucked at being an Avenger.

King Castle
Mole Man has bn consistent

OneDumbG0
^ Did Mole Man know kung fu when he first appeared? Cause he sure as heck does now.

jalek moye
Originally posted by Dum Dum Dugan
oh ok thanks.

he completely wrong though. Wolverine physical stats have not been increased. In fact his strength was slightly decreased since his creation. He originally possesed the same strength as spiderman.

I think he means his healing and stuff got a huge update since his first creation.

Q99
Hasn't Logan's speed gone up too? His feats in that area look more impressive to me.

Hm... how about some of the Legion of Superhero members? Some of them have changed a lot over time (Shrinking Violet), but others have pretty much the same power set they always have, with perhaps small interruptions, like Chameleon Boy, or Colossal Boy, or the lightning siblings (well, 'cept when Lass is Light Lass instead).

Warlord
Originally posted by Digi

the price of having a significantly more powerful (than his teamates) character in team

King Castle
Originally posted by King Castle
Mole Man has bn consistent he just never got to strut his stuff b4 till now...

he always knew Kung fu ninja

Darth Jello
DD has consistently developed and improved his skills since his debut. I like that.

Omega Vision
oh ok thanks.

So he could always survive being reduced to a skeleton?

King Castle
it was never tried but then again his durability was also higher nor did he put himself in such a situation as he does now always tanking.. the bio's said no as well as his own thought's but it was never confirmed the assumption was no.

Cartesian Doubt
Hulk ... Unstoppable then, and still considered unstoppable now.

Dum Dum Dugan
So he could always survive being reduced to a skeleton?

dude dont try and pretend now that your talking his healing factor. You were clearly talking about his physical stats. here what you quoted

and here your reply to it

it quite clear this was about his physical stats not healing factor.

Dum Dum Dugan
Originally posted by Q99
Hasn't Logan's speed gone up too? His feats in that area look more impressive to me.

Nope his speed has always been high. He back in the day had spiderman questioning his speed.

-Pr-
Either Logan is the same or he isnt, when it comes down to it.

I say it's the latter.

Dum Dum Dugan
Originally posted by -Pr-
Either Logan is the same or he isnt, when it comes down to it.

I say it's the latter.
His physical stats are pretty much the same, asside from slight decrease in his strength from his very first issue.

His healing factor is much different due to the fact he dident even have one for the first 7 years lol.

StiltmanFTW
Very early on his career he cut Colosso to pieces (danger room robot) "faster than the eye can follow".

GGS
WTF....Wolverine is no way near the same character he was back in the day.

A Sentinel blast could wipe him out back then and now he is walking around regrowing from a skeleton.

The guy has been upgraded more times than modern Supes.

Dum Dum Dugan
Originally posted by GGS
WTF....Wolverine is no way near the same character he was back in the day.

A Sentinel blast could wipe him out back then and now he is walking around regrowing from a skeleton.

The guy has been upgraded more times than modern Supes.
clearly, you dident even read are posts........

no one is denying that his healing factor is different, hell I even stated he dident even have one for his first 7 years, but his physical stats are pretty much what they have always been.

Tha C-Master
dude dont try and pretend now that your talking his healing factor. You were clearly talking about his physical stats. here what you quoted

it quite clear this was about his physical stats not healing factor. Hmm I dunno dude, I would say he means more or less HF, that is Wolverine's defining trait. The "nuke", skeleton, and other feats matter a lot more than some of his physical ones. That might just be me though.

Omega Vision

it quite clear this was about his physical stats not healing factor.
That wasn't me talking about his physical stats, that was me missing the addendum about the HF in Dmills post.

So how about you calm down?

Dum Dum Dugan
That wasn't me talking about his physical stats, that was me missing the addendum about the HF in Dmills post.

So how about you calm down?
I cant see how you missed that, but ok

I am very calm, is some one projecting?

Tha C-Master
DDD just likes to debate, nothing wrong with that, just chomping at the bit. stick out tongue

StyleTime
Cyclops.

Bentley
If we consider skill as a physical status Wolverine changed quite a lot since his inception. I mean, he wasn't an inmortal guy who learned every martial art back when he fought Hulk.

King Castle
Shadow Cat has remained consistent with a lil more knowledge and experience being gradual and more natural nothing really unexplained to her character

-Pr-
Originally posted by StyleTime
Cyclops.

Aye. All he's done is get a bit more powerful.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.