Unfairly overrated and underrated artists

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KMCmember
Overrated:

Soulja Boy - obvious reasons
Lil Wayne - obvious reasons
Nas - maybe I'm wrong on this one; he had great lyrics, often times good message and sometimes good beats, but often times his beats were wack and boring
Big L - very talented and good punchlines, but a little repetitive - I suppose that he would have improved with time
Katy Perry - can't sing live
Rihanna -can't sing live that well (especially the high notes) and yet some people are actually trying to compare her to Beyonce laughing out loud
Selena Gomez - amazing actress, hot and nice girl, but she can't sing live that well

Underrated or bashed too much:

Justin Bieber - believe it or not, he can actually sing live very well. His haters seem to have the misconception that he can't sing when he actually can.
Lady Gaga - she's an AMAZING singer live and yet some of her haters have a misconception that she can't.
Miley Cyrus - maybe. Sometimes she sounds amazing live and other times she sounds like crap; it fluctuates as to whether she's good or bad. Similar with her acting.
Demi Lovato - best singer modern Disney's ever had, and yet Miley and Selena are more famous than her.

Kaibs
Originally posted by KMCmember
Overrated:

Nas - maybe I'm wrong on this one; he had great lyrics, often times good message and sometimes good beats, but often times his beats were wack and boring
Big L - very talented and good punchlines, but a little repetitive - I suppose that he would have improved with time
Rihanna -can't sing live that well (especially the high notes) and yet some people are actually trying to compare her to Beyonce laughing out loud
Selena Gomez - amazing actress, hot and nice girl, but she can't sing live that well

Justin Bieber - believe it or not, he can actually sing live very well. His haters seem to have the misconception that he can't sing when he actually can.
Lady Gaga - she's an AMAZING singer live and yet some of her haters have a misconception that she can't.
Miley Cyrus - maybe. Sometimes she sounds amazing live and other times she sounds like crap; it fluctuates as to whether she's good or bad. Similar with her acting.
Demi Lovato - best singer modern Disney's ever had, and yet Miley and Selena are more famous than her.

You're actually calling Nas overrated? Are you insane? And yet you have Disney teenagers as underrated? What the ****.?

KMCmember
Originally posted by Kaibs
You're actually calling Nas overrated? Are you insane? And yet you have Disney teenagers as underrated? What the ****.?

Again, I may be wrong with Nas, but Demi Lovato really surprised me in that she can actually sing. If you want to, search Demi Lovato National Anthem on YouTube.

Dr. Leg Kick
Big L, Overrated?

Lady Gaga Underrated? Troll for sure.

§P0oONY
Overrated:

Demi Lovato - best singer modern Disney's ever had, and yet Miley and Selena are more famous than her. 6bMLrA_0O5I

Kaibs
Again, I may be wrong with Nas, but Demi Lovato really surprised me in that she can actually sing. If you want to, search Demi Lovato National Anthem on YouTube.

I'm not going to question the Disney stars talent, as im sure some of them can sing, but people like miley cyrus are not underrated. Her shit is flooded everywhere. She's not underrated at all. And you're completely wrong about Nas. If anything he's underrated. Hardly anyone still knows about Illmatic, and yet it's one of the bset Hip Hop albums of allt ime.

KMCmember
Originally posted by Dr. Leg Kick
Big L, Overrated?

Lady Gaga Underrated? Troll for sure.

I can understand the Big L part, but go to YouTube a search Lady Gaga acoustic. You may be surprised as to what you find. Oh, and search Demi Lovato National Anthem. And Justin Bieber without autotune.

You guys are bashing the wrong singers. Katy Perry sings so bad live she actually hurt my ears.

§P0oONY
I can understand the Big L part, but go to YouTube a search Lady Gaga acoustic. You may be surprised as to what you find. Oh, and search Demi Lovato National Anthem. And Justin Bieber without autotune.

You guys are bashing the wrong singers. Katy Perry sings so bad live she actually hurt my ears. Explain how the biggest selling artists currently can be classed as underrated... troll.

Not to mention that most of the people you classed as underrated don't even write their own music.

Kaibs

You guys are bashing the wrong singers. Katy Perry sings so bad live she actually hurt my ears.

There's a lot of different factors that tie into that though. As an engineer I can literally tell you this as it's what I do for a living. Her monitor or front of house engineer probably sucked ass. They are the people responsible for making her sound the way she sounds whether it be good or bad. Of course her natural talent is involved, but it's true none the less.

KMCmember
I'm not going to question the Disney stars talent, as im sure some of them can sing, but people like miley cyrus are not underrated. Her shit is flooded everywhere. She's not underrated at all. And you're completely wrong about Nas. If anything he's underrated. Hardly anyone still knows about Illmatic, and yet it's one of the bset Hip Hop albums of allt ime.

Maybe not underrated; maybe more like handed too much. Miley when focused on singing and not having to dance has an amazing voice. Lady Gaga's acoustic performances are amazing. Demi Lovato has amazing talent, yet Selena Gomez who can't sing outsells her most of the time. Even Justin Bieber is actually pretty good live.

Nas is underrated by the modern mainstream but perhaps overrated by hard core hip hop heads, although again I may be wrong on this. His lyrics, message and such are great, and some of his better songs have good beats to them, but a lot of his songs have somewhat boring beats.

KMCmember

Kaibs
Maybe not underrated; maybe more like handed too much. Miley when focused on singing and not having to dance has an amazing voice. Lady Gaga's acoustic performances are amazing. Demi Lovato has amazing talent, yet Selena Gomez who can't sing outsells her most of the time. Even Justin Bieber is actually pretty good live.

Nas is underrated by the modern mainstream but perhaps overrated by hard core hip hop heads, although again I may be wrong on this. His lyrics, message and such are great, and some of his better songs have good beats to them, but a lot of his songs have somewhat boring beats.

Once again by saying that on your last paragraph shows how wrong you have it. Nas has 2 albums (Illmatic and Stillmatic) which got 5 mics in the source. Which only a handful of albums have EVER got 5 mics in the source. The last album to do so was Scarface's The Fix. Illmatic was lyrically one of the best things ever made. You're more than entitled to your opinion man, that's what these forums are for, but don't speak like you're talking fact when you are indeed not.

I'm not trying to talk shit or anything so don't think that. But as a person who actually works in the music industry I can not tell you wrong you are on a lot of your assessments.

KMCmember
Once again by saying that on your last paragraph shows how wrong you have it. Nas has 2 albums (Illmatic and Stillmatic) which got 5 mics in the source. Which only a handful of albums have EVER got 5 mics in the source. The last album to do so was Scarface's The Fix. Illmatic was lyrically one of the best things ever made. You're more than entitled to your opinion man, that's what these forums are for, but don't speak like you're talking fact when you are indeed not.

I'm not trying to talk shit or anything so don't think that. But as a person who actually works in the music industry I can not tell you wrong you are on a lot of your assessments.

In my comment on Nas I stated that I may be wrong in multiple posts, so IDK why you're accusing me for stating it as a fact. I also agreed that Nas is great lyrically, which was your argument for Nas, which glorified a pro o him that I agreed with and didn't address the parts that I didn't agree with.

Basically, with all due respect, I don't see your point.

Kaibs
In my comment on Nas I stated that I may be wrong in multiple posts, so IDK why you're accusing me for stating it as a fact. I also agreed that Nas is great lyrically, which was your argument for Nas, which glorified a pro o him that I agreed with and didn't address the parts that I didn't agree with.

Basically, with all due respect, I don't see your point.

My point is you shouldn't of even had him in your post to begin with. Alot of your "overrated" people infact don't deserve to be there, where you're drastically confused with your underrated list. I could give you a slew of artists who are way underrated that would blow your mind.

The only one I can really agree with is Lil Wayne, his mixtapes are better than his studio albums. Same with Soulja Boy because he's shit. Selena Gomez? Definitely not overrated. She has released ONE album which has a platinum single and has went gold. her songs are nto nearly as bad as some of those artists you ahve listed in the underrated side.

KMCmember
My point is you shouldn't of even had him in your post to begin with. Alot of your "overrated" people infact don't deserve to be there, where you're drastically confused with your underrated list. I could give you a slew of artists who are way underrated that would blow your mind.

The only one I can really agree with is Lil Wayne, his mixtapes are better than his studio albums. Same with Soulja Boy because he's shit. Selena Gomez? Definitely not overrated. She has released ONE album which has a platinum single and has went gold. her songs are nto nearly as bad as some of those artists you ahve listed in the underrated side.

Selena Gomez is a great person and actress, bu she can't sing without autotune. Her songs are decent, but she doesn't make them.

Is there anybody in my overrated list other than Nas and Selena Gomez that you disagree with?

As for my underrated list, care to make an argument (no sarcasm intended wink)?

Kaibs
Overrated:

Overrated I agree with: Soulja Boy, Lil Wayne.

Overrated I don't: Selena Gomez. She may use pitch correction, but she does NOT need it as bad as some of the other atists you have listed in your underrated which i will get to in a bit.

Rihanna: Also not overrated. Her voice is actually quite amazing, and she hardly uses pitch correction.

Big L: I'm on the fence about.

Underrated: These people I am going to talk about being underrated. Not the bashing. Some of them get bashed a lot ill admit, but they probably deserve it.

Justin Bieber: To even say he's underrated is beyond stupid. The kid may be able to sing,but he's sold tons of albums, and he gets way more credit for his work than he ever should deserve. As his music is not mind blowing nor is it great. Not to mention he uses Anterius Auto Tune more than you probably know.

Lady Gaga: I shouldn't even have to explain how she's not underrated. That should be self explanitory.

Miley Cyrus: Once again. Underrated? You're joking? Her voice? is nothing amazing. She uses auto tune A LOT. Her songs? They aren't the worst thing under the sun, nor are they anything special once again. The shit she puts out are geared towards millions of tweens who idolize her.

Demi Lovato. - I agree she can sing, but once again she's in the same boat as Miley Cyrus. Just not as amped up as her. give it another year or tow, and she'll be right where she's at.

KMCmember
Overrated I agree with: Soulja Boy, Lil Wayne.

Overrated I don't: Selena Gomez. She may use pitch correction, but she does NOT need it as bad as some of the other atists you have listed in your underrated which i will get to in a bit.

Rihanna: Also not overrated. Her voice is actually quite amazing, and she hardly
uses pitch correction.

Big L: I'm on the fence about.

Underrated: These people I am going to talk about being underrated. Not the
bashing. Some of them get bashed a lot ill admit, but they probably deserve it.

Justin Bieber: To even say he's underrated is beyond stupid. The kid may be
able to sing,but he's sold tons of albums, and he gets way more credit for his
work than he ever should deserve. As his music is not mind blowing nor is it
great. Not to mention he uses Anterius Auto Tune more than you probably
know.

Lady Gaga: I shouldn't even have to explain how she's not underrated. That
should be self explanitory.

Miley Cyrus: Once again. Underrated? You're joking? Her voice? is nothing
amazing. She uses auto tune A LOT. Her songs? They aren't the worst thing
under the sun, nor are they anything special once again. The shit she puts out
are geared towards millions of tweens who idolize her.

Demi Lovato. - I agree she can sing, but once again she's in the same boat as
Miley Cyrus. Just not as amped up as her. give it another year or tow, and
she'll be right where she's at.

Overrated: what about Katy Perry? Selena Gomez isn't a good singer. She's a
great person and actress and I'll give her credit for apparently actually trying to
improve her singing, but she still can't sing that well. Rihanna is mixed. She can sing the slower lower notes, but can't sing he higher notes than well. Definetely not on Beyonce's level like some people claim.

Underrated: if we use underrated as in not recognized enoughthen yeah, but as in getting bashed too much many on my list are very popular and talented but have lots of haters when they actually are talented. Sort of lime how amochael Jackson was very popular and talented but in the later stages of his life had lots of haters.

Kaibs
Overrated: what about Katy Perry? Selena Gomez isn't a good singer. She's a great person and actress and I'll give her credit for apparently actually trying to improve her singing, but she still can't sing that well.

Underrated: if we use underrated as in not recognized enoughthen yeah, but as in getting bashed too much many on my list are very popular and talented but have lots of haters when they actually are talented. Sort of lime how amochael Jackson was very popular and talented but in the later stages of his life had lots of haters.

Dude. Having haters, doesn't make you underrated though. You must be confused with your definition of the word.

None of those artists are musically underrated. They are all infact overrated. Maybe except Demi Lovato. And we're not talking about acting. this is the music part of the forum, not the acting or movie or tv parts.

Selena Gomez can sing infact better than Miley Cyrus so I have no idea what you're talking about. She can actually hit her notes, and she knows what notes not to go for. She's not as good as Demi naturally, but has the potential to be.

Kaibs
Oops I forgot to talk about Katy Perry. I think her first album is pretty good. Im not a fan of that California Girls song, and it was recently voted the most popular song of the summer. Is she overrated? Probably not. She has a lot of talent musically.

KMCmember
Dude. Having haters, doesn't make you underrated though. You must be confused with your definition of the word.

None of those artists are musically underrated. They are all infact overrated. Maybe except Demi Lovato. And we're not talking about acting. this is the music part of the forum, not the acting or movie or tv parts.

Selena Gomez can sing infact better than Miley Cyrus so I have no idea what you're talking about. She can actually hit her notes, and she knows what notes not to go for. She's not as good as Demi naturally, but has the potential to be.

btw, edited that post

I know what underrated means, hence why in the OP I also stated that some are those that get bashed too much.

Justin Bieber has a HUGE amount of haters when he actually isn't as bad as the haters think. Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus also do, to a lesser degree even though they're actually talented.

Demi Lovato has few haters but doesn't get as much attention as Miley and Selena. Maybe she'll get more popular as time goes on though, since she's relatively new.

KMCmember
California Gurls is catchy (although almost identical to Tik Tok), but Katy Perry doesn't sing it live well, and she isn't to be credited for the song itself since she didn't have a role in making it other than co writing it (and the lyrics aren't that good).

Kaibs
btw, edited that post

I know what underrated means, hence why in the OP I also stated that some are those that get bashed too much.

Justin Bieber has a HUGE amount of haters when he actually isn't as bad as the haters think. Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus also do, to a lesser degree even though they're actually talented.

Demi Lovato has few haters but doesn't get as much attention as Miley and Selena. Maybe she'll get more popular as time goes on though, since she's relatively new.

Lady Gaga is infact musically talented. I will agree with that. She can play the piano. She's no John Legend or Alicia Keys on it, but she can play it. She's not underrated in any way shape or form though. So you are infact wrong there. Miley Cyrus? She can play the guitar. Thanks to her father. However she also isnt underrated. Having haters like I said doesn't make you underrated. It just means you have haters. Big deal. Everyone has haters. Even The Beatles has haters.

Do those haters know what they're talking about? people who just say they suck blah blah blah. Without giving reason? they're most likely just hating them bc they want to. People who actually can back it up to why they don't like them well then you really don't any right to criticize them especially when you're trying to call them underrated. That's like you trying to compare someone like Miley Cyrus to someone like Mariah Carey. Which would be beyond stupid, when we both know Mariah is leagues above her.

If all you're worried about is haters to back your claims up you should make a new topic, that is asking why people hate them instead of callling them underrated.

KMCmember
Lady Gaga is infact musically talented. I will agree with that. She can play the piano. She's no John Legend or Alicia Keys on it, but she can play it. She's not underrated in any way shape or form though. So you are infact wrong there. Miley Cyrus? She can play the guitar. Thanks to her father. However she also isnt underrated. Having haters like I said doesn't make you underrated. It just means you have haters. Big deal. Everyone has haters. Even The Beatles has haters.

Do those haters know what they're talking about? people who just say they suck blah blah blah. Without giving reason? they're most likely just hating them bc they want to. People who actually can back it up to why they don't like them well then you really don't any right to criticize them especially when you're trying to call them underrated. That's like you trying to compare someone like Miley Cyrus to someone like Mariah Carey. Which would be beyond stupid, when we both know Mariah is leagues above her.

If all you're worried about is haters to back your claims up you should make a new topic, that is asking why people hate them instead of callling them underrated.

In my OP my underrated list was specified to also include singers that get bashed too much.

Sure the Beatles have haters, but a very small number of them. Justin Bieber has a huge number of haters (his Baby music video has more dislikes than likes on YouTube) that hate him
for stupid and childish reasons.

Kaibs
In my OP my underrated list was specified to also include singers that get bashed too much.

Sure the Beatles have haters, but a very small number of them. Justin Bieber has a huge number of haters (his Baby music video has more dislikes than likes on YouTube) that hate him
for stupid and childish reasons.

And there are also Bieber homers who love him and say he's the best shit since sliced bread for stupid childish reasons. It's a double edged sword. The Beatles are amazing because they literally were. Justin Bieber is nothing to brag about. He's also not the worst thing ever, but he definitely won't be making a case to go into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame any time soon.

Darth Martin
Overrated:

Big L - very talented and good punchlines, but a little repetitive - I suppose that he would have improved with time.

I don't think so. If anything, Big L is underrated. Both are two of the best to ever do it.

King of Anglia
KMCmember, you clearly don't know much.

Overrated: Muse

Underrated: Wire.

Bloinky
I got this......

Underrated - THRICE!

KMCmember
And there are also Bieber homers who love him and say he's the best shit since sliced bread for stupid childish reasons. It's a double edged sword. The Beatles are amazing because they literally were. Justin Bieber is nothing to brag about. He's also not the worst thing ever, but he definitely won't be making a case to go into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame any time soon.

Well yeah, there are some people who overrated Justin Bieber, but that isn't my point. There are many people that think that hate Justin Bieber for stupid reasons such as "omg he has a high pitched voice!".

Originally posted by Darth Martin
I don't think so. If anything, Big L is underrated. Both are two of the best to ever do it.

Big L is underrated by the general population and overrated by some hip hop heads IMO. He was very talented, but a lot of his songs were repetitive. Maybe he would have gotten much better if he had lived for a little longer.

Kaibs
Well yeah, there are some people who overrated Justin Bieber, but that isn't my point. There are many people that think that hate Justin Bieber for stupid reasons such as "omg he has a high pitched voice!".

Big L is underrated by the general population and overrated by some hip hop heads IMO. He was very talented, but a lot of his songs were repetitive. Maybe he would have gotten much better if he had lived for a little longer.

It may not be your point, but you're failing to use logic at all. Your point is a double edged sword and can be used both ways. You should just stop before you dig yourself in a bigger hole than you already have. As I stated before. You can have your opinions on whatever you like.

KMCmember
It may not be your point, but you're failing to use logic at all. Your point is a double edged sword and can be used both ways. You should just stop before you dig yourself in a bigger hole than you already have. As I stated before. You can have your opinions on whatever you like.

In the OP I had the overrated section and the underrated/bashed too much section. Obviously Justin Bieber isn't underrated, so therefore he would fit in the bashed too much part. I'm not denying that Justin Bieber I'd overrated by a few of his fans, he he has more haters than fans that overrated him (not that he has more haters than fans).

Also, Proof might have been underrated.

§P0oONY
You're just trolling KMCmember... we all know it.

KMCmember

Darth Martin
Big L is underrated by the general population and overrated by some hip hop heads IMO. He was very talented, but a lot of his songs were repetitive. Maybe he would have gotten much better if he had lived for a little longer. I think I understand what your trying to say. Like Nas, his voice is monotone. He doesn't have the charismatic mic precense of an Eminem or ability to switch flows like Jay-Z.

He's still definately better than Hov, not sure about a prime Eminem. His freestyle literally put Hov to shame(whose was kind of nice itself).

He may be monotone in voice delivery and not have a very large catalogue but......Biggie doesn't have a large catalogue and he's often referred to as the GOAT(I don't subscribe to that theory as I feel prime Eminem, Big L, and Nas are better).

AsbestosFlaygon
Overrated:

Lady GaGa
Justin Beaver
Kanye West
Jay-Z
Ke$ha
Soulja Boy
Waka Wocka Flame

Underrated:

Porcupine Tree
Aesop Rock
Immortal Technique
Skindred
Street Sweeper Social Club
August Burns Red
HORSE The Band

KMCmember
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Overrated:

Lady GaGa
Justin Beaver
Kanye West
Jay-Z
Ke$ha
Soulja Boy
Waka Wocka Flame

Underrated:

Porcupine Tree
Aesop Rock
Immortal Technique
Skindred
Street Sweeper Social Club
August Burns Red
HORSE The Band

Lady Gaga deserves to be famous because she actually has talent. LOTS of talent. Justin Bieber is perhaps not as good as some of his fangirls think he is, but he's still talented. I agree that Kesha is overrated though, since she isn't that good of a singer - or rapper.

jaden101
Lady Gaga deserves to be famous because she actually has talent. LOTS of talent.

Don't know about the talent but she certainly has balls...Literally.

KMCmember
Originally posted by jaden101
Don't know about the talent but she certainly has balls...Literally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3R3KqrJAI4

jaden101
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3R3KqrJAI4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPbrvi2UEmE

KMCmember
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPbrvi2UEmE

Basically, you think that Lady Gaga's gender is more important than her actual talent and hard work.

BTW, that was her underwear.

jaden101
Basically, you think that Lady Gaga's gender is more important than her actual talent and hard work.

BTW, that was her underwear.

I don't think either are important because I don't think she/he or his/her work has any importance in music at all. 40 years from now people will still be listening to the Rolling Stones....No-one will even remember Lady Gaga.

Why...Because they create music for the music...To people like her music is just the vessel with which to perpetrate their image...Music, to them, is a side show...A distraction.

I'm all for theatrics in stage shows but the music is 1st and the stage show should be the extras...Not the other way around.

KMCmember
I don't think either are important because I don't think she/he or his/her work has any importance in music at all. 40 years from now people will still be listening to the Rolling Stones....No-one will even remember Lady Gaga.

Why...Because they create music for the music...To people like her music is just the vessel with which to perpetrate their image...Music, to them, is a side show...A distraction.

I'm all for theatrics in stage shows but the music is 1st and the stage show should be the extras...Not the other way around.

Lady Gaga seems to have a real passion for music, and she is very talented. She's on par with Beyonce.

AsbestosFlaygon
Lady Gaga seems to have a real passion for music, and she is very talented. She's on par with Beyonce.
Beyonce is another overrated artist.

KMCmember

How? Beyonce is an amazing singer, has amazing songs, amazing music videos and is a great person.

ares834
For sure.

Freedom888

how?

Slay
I remember when this forum had page-long discussions about artists actually worth discussing.

Kaibs
Originally posted by Slay
I remember when this forum had page-long discussions about artists actually worth discussing.

Cosign.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.