Is Superman Unstoppable?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

keiththegreat
I was debating with this kid the other day who said that Superman was pretty much unbeatable. Here was his evidence:

Superman can lift an INFINITE amount of weight (see the comic where Superman and Captain Marvel lifted a book with infinite pages).

He said the modern incarnation of Superman was pretty much immune to Kryptonite.

Well, here's the full quote:

Superman has literally lifted infinite weight, taken part of an explosion equal to about 50 supernovas while under the influence of a red sun AND having been hit by multiple energy beams with red solar energy, flying at thousands or more times the speed of light(seriously, flown a distance that'd take light a couple hours to travel in seconds, flown a distance of over 20 lightyears in minutes, and appears to have flown more than 2 lightyears in seconds), and more. And they've been going back to giving Superman obscure powers to pull-out when the plot requires, but not to the extent they did with Silver Age Superman. Or as many stupid powers("Super-Ventriloquism," "Super-Hypnosis," "Super-Math," "Super-Weaving" and no I'm not kidding. Only stupid obscure power they've given Superman lately was the ability to induce sleep in himself, and that's not as silly as "Super-Weaving."wink

My question, is there ANY HERO (Thor, Silver Surfer, anyone) who has any chance against Superman?

cdtm
Surprised he didn't mention the flight to Oa and Mogo from Infinite Crisis.

That's half the universe right there, if he flew the entire thing.

The thing is, haven't Supermans limits been established, making examples where he breaks them without explanation pretty much PIS? (I know in Panic in the Sky, he outright claimed he can't go after Brainiacs ship without a GL's capabilities, believing he can't just zip through the universe like they can.)

Now, while I grant he's had an upgrade, being able to fly to Oa in seconds seems a little excessive.. That's blatent pre crisis stuff there.

amnesia
I only consider Morrison superman canon.

cdtm
Originally posted by amnesia
I only consider Morrison superman canon.

Who only Morrison?

Although if Morrison didn't have Superman moving planets without help or seriously make him show off universe crossing super speed, that says something. Morrison is the Feat Master.

The Nuul
His fanboys think so.

Colossus-Big C
he only held half of the weight of that thing
but anyway superman cannot lift infinit weight thats retarded

Badabing
Originally posted by The Nuul
His fanboys think so. More Superman hate from the Superman hater! sneerOriginally posted by Colossus-Big C
he only held half of the weight of that thing
but anyway superman cannot lift infinit weight thats retarded What's half of infinity then...dursmart

Galan007
Superman is good, but he is far from unbeatable.

amnesia
Originally posted by cdtm
Who only Morrison?

Although if Morrison didn't have Superman moving planets without help or seriously make him show off universe crossing super speed, that says something. Morrison is the Feat Master.

Because Morrison is the best DC has to offer.

Lord Feron
PIS is great isn't it? Yeah it also helps to be DC's most Iconic money making character.

I guess any herald level character can sound uber if you choose to only look at the best one time feats. Anyway there are many characters Heros and villians that can beat supes.

The Nuul
Originally posted by Badabing
More Superman hate from the Superman hater!

Bruce, Carv9 and Quan, I am not. I dont hate the character, I just dont buy into his PIS moments. Oh and I was talking about his fanboys and not his fans.

The Nuul
Originally posted by Lord Feron
PIS is great isn't it? Yeah it also helps to be DC's most Iconic money making character.

Supes HATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BAN HIM!

Mshinu
Put supes in the ring with a repowered Juggernaut and we will see who is unstoppable stick out tongue

The Nuul
Originally posted by Mshinu
Put supes in the ring with a repowered Juggernaut and we will see who is unstoppable stick out tongue

Supes BFRs him. That was easy.

Lord Feron
Supes HATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BAN HIM!

RAWR ME HATE SUPES!!!! RAWRRRR lol . But as u said he has some ridiculous moments and when people take those moments and things that is normal everyday self. It just heart breaking... wacko

Mshinu
Supes BFRs him. That was easy.

The ring is in a pocket dimension so no cowardly BFRs stick out tongue

Badabing
Originally posted by Lord Feron

I guess any herald level character can sound uber if you choose to only look at the best one time feats. Anyway there are many characters Heros and villians that can beat supes. Originally posted by The Nuul
Bruce, Carv9 and Quan, I am not. I dont hate the character, I just dont buy into his PIS moments. Oh and I was talking about his fanboys and not his fans.

Superman haters: That's PIS!!!!111

Normal people: He's done similar feats many times since DOS.

Superman haters: He shouldn't be able to do those feats!!!111

Normal people: I guess all the writers and DC disagree. Superman being continually shown at high levels makes him that powerful.

Superman haters: NUH UH!!!!!!!111 ranting

Normal people: durpalm

amnesia

Normal people: I guess all the writers and DC disagree. Superman being continually shown at high levels makes him that powerful.

Cool people: bada is dumb
Bada: sad

The Nuul
The ring is in a pocket dimension so no cowardly BFRs stick out tongue

Supes punches through that dimension and flees. Since there is no BFR, it doesnt count as a lost while Juggs is stuck there.

Mshinu
Who are these so-called "normal people"? Certainly no one here on KMC

The Nuul

Says the Quan and Hulk fanboy.

durbeware

Mshinu
Supes punches through that dimension and flees. Since there is no BFR, it doesnt count as a lost while Juggs is stuck there.

Sorry, the dimensional border is PIS resistant and posterboy proofed so supes can`t do that.

The Nuul
Who are these so-called "normal people"? Certainly no one here on KMC

Apparently its Shoko and H1. laughing

The Nuul
Sorry, the dimensional border is PIS resistant and posterboy proofed so supes can`t do that.

Hes done it before, ask his fans/fanboys. Juggs with no powerup cant.

amnesia
Shoko is not that bad. I think hes just joshing.

Lord Feron

Ahh well I guess there will always be some disagreements. So bada you don't think the actioned mentioned in the OP had anything to do with PIS and in fact just his normal modus operandi?

Not saying every amzing thing hes done is PIS just the more crazy outlandish crap.

Bat u know what this is a old tired debate about supes of what ppl think he can do and what he can't do. Every Characters has their moments its just that we maybe should assume he can just do that all the times. Because like there are high showings there are also low showings and we have to find some middle ground.

The Nuul
Shoko is not that bad. I think hes just joshing.

Hes horrible, with his logic, Supes >>>>>> LT.

Badabing
Cool people: bada is dumb
Bada: sad Moderator Bada: ban

Norwegians: durcry2

Moderator Bada: biscuitsOriginally posted by Mshinu
Who are these so-called "normal people"? Certainly no one here on KMC mmm

True. laughing out loudOriginally posted by The Nuul
Says the Quan and Hulk fanboy.

durbeware Noob, your Dur powers are impressive but no match for me!!!11 Now feel teh powerz of...DUR CHI DELUXE!!!!!11

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/adurteambusterloopho4.gif

amnesia
Hes horrible, with his logic, Supes >>>>>> LT.

I think he is joking around a lot.

h1 takes himself 100% serious.

The Nuul
Heh.

Mshinu
Hes done it before, ask his fans/fanboys. Juggs with no powerup cant.

Doesn`t matter, neither can do it here. So supes dies.

cdtm
Because Morrison is the best DC has to offer.

Busiek?

The Nuul
lol

amnesia
Busiek?

Morrison is the best.

ASS, WE3. Flex mentallo etc. He is second only to Alan Moore.

The Nuul
Moderator Bada: ban

Moderator Bada: biscuits mmm

True. laughing out loud Noob, your Dur powers are impressive but no match for me!!!11 Now feel teh powerz of...DUR CHI DELUXE!!!!!11

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/adurteambusterloopho4.gif

My Dur VVV

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/3885/durdrop.gif

Your Dur ^^^

the ninjak
Vampire teeth.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Galan007
You're right. Thanos, RKT, Odin, the COIE Anti-Monitor, Trion Juggernaut, and Onslaught working in tandem might be able to take a few against him. biscuits

amnesia
Originally posted by Omega Vision
You're right. Thanos, RKT, Odin, the COIE Anti-Monitor, Trion Juggernaut, and Onslaught working in tandem might be able to take a few against him. biscuits

Add spectre and FP Tyrant, then we can talk.

Captain America can solo.

Mshinu
Kryptonians appears quite easily drained tho, like that big bird guy did to Powergirl recently.

The Nuul
Kryptonians appears quite easily drained tho, like that big bird guy did to Powergirl recently.

WTF? PG feats are shit compared to Supes. Middle or low end Kryptonians dont got shit on him. its not a fair comparison.

Mshinu
WTF? PG feats are shit compared to Supes. Middle or low end Kryptonians dont got shit on him. its not a fair comparison.

Any evidence he is better at resisting a solar power drain? Dr Polaris did it just fine.

Colossus-Big C
superman isnt unstoppable
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l0ke3zWfSn1qzbuoao1_500.jpg

cdtm
Morrison is the best.

ASS, WE3. Flex mentallo etc. He is second only to Alan Moore.

Morrison's awesome, but stuff like Astro City and Marvels ain't exactly chopped liver.

I thought Secret Identity was really good Superman material.

amnesia
Moderator Bada: ban

Moderator Bada: biscuits mmm

This is yousneer

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7317/deadpoolv.png

The Nuul
Ummm no, thats Deadpool.

amnesia
Ummm no, thats Deadpool.

zombie deadpool

h1a8
Originally posted by keiththegreat
I was debating with this kid the other day who said that Superman was pretty much unbeatable. Here was his evidence:

Superman can lift an INFINITE amount of weight (see the comic where Superman and Captain Marvel lifted a book with infinite pages).

He said the modern incarnation of Superman was pretty much immune to Kryptonite.

Well, here's the full quote:

Superman has literally lifted infinite weight, taken part of an explosion equal to about 50 supernovas while under the influence of a red sun AND having been hit by multiple energy beams with red solar energy, flying at thousands or more times the speed of light(seriously, flown a distance that'd take light a couple hours to travel in seconds, flown a distance of over 20 lightyears in minutes, and appears to have flown more than 2 lightyears in seconds), and more. And they've been going back to giving Superman obscure powers to pull-out when the plot requires, but not to the extent they did with Silver Age Superman. Or as many stupid powers("Super-Ventriloquism," "Super-Hypnosis," "Super-Math," "Super-Weaving" and no I'm not kidding. Only stupid obscure power they've given Superman lately was the ability to induce sleep in himself, and that's not as silly as "Super-Weaving."wink

My question, is there ANY HERO (Thor, Silver Surfer, anyone) who has any chance against Superman? Superman can be beaten by WW (who has the battle speed, skills, and weapons to take him down), Flash, and possibly SS (but he must be fighting in the absolute best possible way). And these are just a couple of heralds beings that can beat him. HP DD can also beat him as well, assuming Superman doesn't bfr him to space.

guy222

truth

dmills
Who are these so-called "normal people"? Certainly no one here on KMC They're some of the many aspects of his mind lol!

A loooooooot of characters can stop him. He isn't even the top dog of the high herald weight class.

Colossus-Big C
reminds me of that old "Hulk VS Everything" thread on comicvine
one guy pointed out "hulk would beat the vast majority of them but im not sure if he can take all"

kgkg
Originally posted by keiththegreat

Superman cannot lift infinite amount of weight... That's the first problem with the kid.

Second Superman is not immune to Kryptonite... There has been times where he is not effected that much by it but it all depends on the writer...But even in recent times Krptonite can be very deadly.

Superman is almost unstoppable.

Stoic
Is Superman Unstoppable?

He would be if all characters were as strong as the Vision. They aren't, so he isn't.

cdtm
Originally posted by kgkg
Superman cannot lift infinite amount of weight... That's the first problem with the kid.

Yeah, he only lifted half of an infinite amount of weight!

So, what's half of infinity? o_o

amnesia
Wait didn't he just lift half the universe?

Mindship
Potentially. cool

Galan007
Wait didn't he just lift half the universe? He and Shazam lifted a book containing an infinite amount of pages. Infinite pages = infinite weight.

Ultraman lifted that shiz all by his lonesome, doh. excellent

shokosugi
Superman is UNSTOPPABLE and thats a FACT.

amnesia
He and Shazam lifted a book containing an infinite amount of pages. Infinite pages = infinite weight.

That's stupid.

Methinks the writer don't know the meaning of infinite.

Starscream M
He and Shazam lifted a book containing an infinite amount of pages. Infinite pages = infinite weight.
galan, you've made a few fallacies regarding the concept of infinity in recent days

1. infinite pages does not equal infinite if each page weighs nothing

2. being a book of magical nature, the laws of physics don't apply

so your assumption of that book being infinite weight is baseless

cdtm

Hard to take those things at face value, considering it happened in a dimension where normal laws didn't apply.

That's why Superman and Anti Matter Ultraman merged instead of obliterating each other, and the element of "story" actually affected that reality.

Omega Vision

Does that make Ultraman the strongest non Cosmic in all Comicdom? wink

The Nuul
Originally posted by shokosugi
Superman is UNSTOPPABLE and thats a FACT.

Supertroll is here....

kgkg
This thread turned serious?

kgkg
Yeah, he only lifted half of an infinite amount of weight!

So, what's half of infinity? o_o U looking for an answer?

cdtm
Originally posted by kgkg
U looking for an answer?

Nah. cool

Galan007
Originally posted by Starscream M
galan, you've made a few fallacies regarding the concept of infinity in recent days

1. infinite pages does not equal infinite if each page weighs nothing

2. being a book of magical nature, the laws of physics don't apply

so your assumption of that book being infinite weight is baseless laughing out loud So you're syaing that the book was weightless? That must have been why they were struggling to lift it, eh?

Hard to take those things at face value, considering it happened in a dimension where normal laws didn't apply.

That's why Superman and Anti Matter Ultraman merged instead of obliterating each other, and the element of "story" actually affected that reality. Superman and Ultraman didn't just do the fusion dance and merge. They were merged by that uber Superman/Captain Atom fella.

Starscream M
laughing out loud So you're syaing that the book was weightless? That must have been why they were struggling to lift it, eh?

no...never said the BOOK was weightless. Most books I know have covers. So even if the pages of an infinite paged book are weightless...the cover could've been insanely heavy. Wouldn't that be more logical than assuming Superman has INFINITE strength?

cdtm
laughing out loud So you're syaing that the book was weightless? That must have been why they were struggling to lift it, eh?

Superman and Ultraman didn't just do the fusion dance and merge. They were merged by that uber Superman/Captain Atom fella.

He merged them, but claimed the dimensions properties allowed it to happen.

"Here in Limbo, there is no material thing to be destroyed. Limbo is a living memory. That's why HERE; that's why US."

Therefore, feats performed in limbo are automatically suspect. There's simply no way to judge what's possible in a normal reality vs what's specific to that plane of existence..

shokosugi
Superman is like the Jesus Christ of DC.

Galan007
Originally posted by Starscream M
no...never said the BOOK was weightless. Most books I know have covers. So even if the pages of an infinite paged book are weightless...the cover could've been insanely heavy. Wouldn't that be more logical than assuming Superman has INFINITE strength? laughing out loud

Badabing
I think this thread has run its course.Originally posted by shokosugi
Superman is like the Jesus Christ of DC. On that note, closing.

superdur

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.