Liquid Wood

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Parmaniac
German scientists finally made a biodegradable plastic.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,3938912,00.html

RE: Blaxican
I didn't read most of the article because I'm a jackass.

So, based off of wood pulp. Does that mean that this plastic is made from... trees? Wouldn't that would basically be switching from one non-renewable resource to another (Kinda. Trees grow back but c'mon)?

Robtard
It can also be recycled like some plastics, but it has the benefit of being less/non toxic to the environment should it end up in landfill.

Parmaniac
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican

So, based off of wood pulp. Does that mean that this plastic is made from... trees? Wouldn't that would basically be switching from one non-renewable resource to another (Kinda. Trees grow back but c'mon)? Well one of the main compounds is a waste of the paper industry so it's to a point "making something awesome out of junk" plus I'm sure after a bit more research they can maybe (If they're not already able to) use bamboo, which is growing pretty fast.

And even if not, it's still better than oil.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Robtard
It can also be recycled like some plastics, but it has the benefit of being less/non toxic to the environment should it end up in landfill.

But the people of the future are dependent on the plastic we put in the land fill. big grin

Parmaniac
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
But the people of the future are dependent on the plastic we put in the land fill. big grin This could be true to a point.

Robtard
We need DDM in here to rule on if this is useless or not.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican

So, based off of wood pulp. Does that mean that this plastic is made from... trees? Wouldn't that would basically be switching from one non-renewable resource to another (Kinda. Trees grow back but c'mon)?

Trees grow back very quickly compared to oil. The fact that a tree can grow to useable size in a decade or so is the basis of the entire modern logging industry.

Carbon nanotubes could be used to make materials that are super strong and biodegrade harmlessly. This is area of research is useless, they should be developing memristors.

Lord Lucien
They used "begs the question" wrong.

But trust the Germans to make plastic more efficient.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
They used "begs the question" wrong.

No they didn't, in that case the usage is short for "begets the question".

Bardock42
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Carbon nanotubes could be used to make materials that are super strong and biodegrade harmlessly. This is area of research is useless, they should be developing memristors.

Lol, spot on.

Lord Lucien
No they didn't, in that case the usage is short for "begets the question". Short for? They cut the letters "ets"? But of course!

dadudemon

Originally posted by dadudemon
Emerging technology analysis: "Is this useful. If useful, is it practical. If practical, is it affordable. If affordable, is there a learning curve. If a steep learning curve, are there qualified individuals that can be hired to implement and train on this technology." And so forth.

IBM also has a 20 point evaluation check-list. You can do your own analysis, quite easily, and then tell us if it is useful or not.

Awwwww, are you butthurt because I pointed out the obvious? sad

Maybe you could check on that superstrong material for your Dyson Spheres? awesome

BTW, memristors are useful (fully workable circuits with measurable response times, etc.) and will be hitting the market in a couple of years. HP greenlit the project for "production-level" memristors. Can't say the same of your precious phospholipid photovoltaic cells. laughing

Bicnarok

Why do people keep bringing "Carbon friggin nano tubes" into scientific discussions? big grin

Robtard
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Why do people keep bringing "Carbon friggin nano tubes" into scientific discussions? big grin

Because it's all the rave and all the cool kids are doing it. Don't you want to be cool too?

King Kandy
Originally posted by Bicnarok
I don't know... except apparently people who specialize in phospholipids are supposed to work on designing them, even when it's out of their field.

samalden
Wood is a liquid timber of the consolidation of the deep penetration that regenerates rotten, dried or spongy wood by restoring structural strength and integrity of the wood fibers. Although it has proved extremely useful in the modern world, plastic still has a number of negative points.With LiquidWood sale, a damaged piece of wood that could crumble under finger pressure can be impregnated and delivered on rigid, durable water and stronger than the original.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Parmaniac
Well one of the main compounds is a waste of the paper industry so it's to a point "making something awesome out of junk" plus I'm sure after a bit more research they can maybe (If they're not already able to) use bamboo, which is growing pretty fast.

And even if not, it's still better than oil.

Yeah, besides, certain trees grow quite fast, assuming they don't need to be fully grown adult trees to extract the substance needed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.