How Tall can a building be made?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Colossus-Big C
on a 1 trillion dollar budget how tall can a building be made

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C

Wouldn't that depend on how wide the building is, and what it is made of?

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Wouldn't that depend on how wide the building is, and what it is made of? i guess

FistOfThe North

Legally or phisically?

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Legally or phisically? i would like to know both

Robtard

So far:

http://www.burjkhalifa.ae/

Coming soon:

http://www.realestatechannel.com/international-markets/commercial-real-estate/real-estate-news-saudi-prince-alwaleed-bin-talal-bin-abdulaziz-al-saud-kingdom-tower-in-jeddah-worlds-tallest-building-burj-mubarak-al-kabir-murjan-tower-3154.php

RE: Blaxican
That SOB's almost a mile high; jesus.

jinXed by JaNx

depends, how tall is your ladder?

inimalist
does it have to function as a structure? because I imagine a huge amount of budget goes to plumbing, electricity, building floors, rooms, stairs, ameneties. If you just mean how big can something be built, we probably don't know

EDIT: on second thought, with a trillion dollar budget, you are likely to hit a physical limit before a financial one...

Bardock42
Yeah, a trillion is a shitload of money. It's pretty much the same as asking how high can we build a building at the moment.

Colossus-Big C
how much did it cost to build the sears tower or the twin towers? like 80 billion dollars?

inimalist
Twin towers cost 400 mil in the 70s, sears tower was 150 mil, same time

80 billion is far too high

EDIT: CN Tower was built for the equivalent of 300mil 1998 dollars (not sure if thats cdn or american)

Bardock42
Yeah, I don't think any person has 80 billion dollar at the moment. At least not officially. And people build skyscrapers all the time (...more than die by shark attacks anyways).

I mean, a trillion, that's like the GDP of Russia no expression

inimalist
ya, thats like a nearly inconcievable amount of money

You could buy manhattan or something

Parmaniac
Well you couldn't get rid off the US public debt with a trillion shifty

Robtard
Originally posted by Parmaniac
Well you couldn't get rid off the US public debt with a trillion shifty

Good thing the US really doesn't have to pay it back. They can give China, Japan, Saudi Arabia and the like the finger for the conceivable future.

Parmaniac
Originally posted by Robtard
Good thing the US really doesn't have to pay it back. They can give China, Japan, Saudi Arabia and the like the finger for the conceivable future. True and I wouldn't expect anything else smile

Quiero Mota
The Burj looks like it was based on '30 art-deco. Reminds me of a lazy rip-off of the ESB.

Robtard
Though it's not like those countries would try and bankrupt the US, they've got deep investments that the US economy not crash.

US sneezes, the world gets a cold, just the way shit's all tied together.

Robtard
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
The Burj looks like it was based on '30 art-deco. Reminds me of a lazy rip-off of the ESB.

haven't you been to Dubai while in he military?

Quiero Mota
haven't you been to Dubai while in he military?

Yes; Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar and the UAE.

Mindship

http://www.realestatechannel.com/international-markets/commercial-real-estate/real-estate-news-saudi-prince-alwaleed-bin-talal-bin-abdulaziz-al-saud-kingdom-tower-in-jeddah-worlds-tallest-building-burj-mubarak-al-kabir-murjan-tower-3154.php Jiminy Crickets, that's like twice the height of the Twin Towers.

Robtard
Originally posted by Mindship
Jiminy Crickets, that's like twice the height of the Twin Towers.

So it would take two planes to bring it down?

(too soon?)

Quiero Mota

(too soon?)

Or none, if they pay attention to the materials and the design of the structure. They'll probably build it in a way that it wouldn't collapse accordian-style like the Twin Towers did.

Engineers universally agree that the Chrysler Bulding and the ESB would have survived a commercial jetliner. Because they're predominately stone-mason, and not utlra-modern flammable materials. So not only were the Towers a more symbolic target, they were literally weaker buldings.

Mindship

(too soon?) Naw. I chuckled.

Bicnarok
So big until it inteferes with the earths orbit, and gets us all killed.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bicnarok
So big until it inteferes with the earths orbit, and gets us all killed.

Alright, just for funsies, I did that math on it.

If all materials were collected from another planet (outside of the terra-lunar gravity field), then it would take a little more than 5233852425126 revolutions around the sun before a .0000001% orbital change would be noticed.

That didn't account the "space debris" that we pick up and lose....or the fact that the Earth would lose more matter over time...or.....the sun dying many many many years before that time.

And, yes, I made all of that up, just then. no expression

laughing

Bicnarok
If you build it out of Carbon nano tubes though, it could reach to the center of the galaxy like a spoke of a wheel. So we can visit our space nieghbours. (Now Im cool as well.)

RE: Blaxican
lolz.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bicnarok
If you build it out of Carbon nano tubes though, it could reach to the center of the galaxy like a spoke of a wheel. So we can visit our space nieghbours. (Now Im cool as well.)

laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.