Debunking DBZ power myths

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KMCmember
Myth: the protagonists fan move a ftl speeds later in the series

Disproof: For one, why would instant transmission, which Goku said was light speed, be needed? Why do the DBZ characters fight at slower than light speeds and often times move at slower than light speeds in occasions where moving at FTL speeds safely would haveachieved their goals easier?

A more scientific disproof is disproving the main argument supporting it; the calculations based on speed linearly scaling with power levels. However:

1. Power doesn't seem to scale linearly with power level; otherwise that farmer with a power level of 5 would be powerful enough to cascually destroy Everest.
2. Speed doesn't always go up with power level; Trunk used that super muscular SSJ and it slowed his speed.
3. Acceleration/movement capability and speed due to linearly scale; Einstein's equation for the amount of acceleration needed go go at, say, 2 kph does not follow a linear progression.
4. FTL travel by simply moving super fast is impssible. Yes, DBZ isn't that scientifically accurate, but when the Z warriors move quickly regurarly they aren't movin in some magical way; they're moving very fast.

Myth: Z warriors can casually destroy planets

Disproof: Of the villians with planet busting capabilities, only Buu has been able to casually destroy planets. Cell had to charge up his attackand Freiza caused a chain reaction. also, most ki blasts in the later part of the series seem to have an explosive radius similar to low to high yield nuclear weapons, but that is a miniscule fraction next to the amount of energy needed to destroy a planet. To suggest that the Z warriors cancasually destroy planets would be suggesting that they're using less than 0.001% of their energy when fighting, whih given their heavy breathing and facial expressions is a false claim. Besides, most of the Z warriors can't breath in space and would be suicidal to use a planet buster in a fight.

amnesia
Why did this guy get banned? I think eh was a pretty cool guy.

dadudemon
Originally posted by KMCmember

Disproof: For one, why would instant transmission, which Goku said was light speed, be needed? Why do the DBZ characters fight at slower than light speeds and often times move at slower than light speeds in occasions where moving at FTL speeds safely would haveachieved their goals easier?

A more scientific disproof is disproving the main argument supporting it; the calculations based on speed linearly scaling with power levels. However:

1. Power doesn't seem to scale linearly with power level; otherwise that farmer with a power level of 5 would be powerful enough to cascually destroy Everest.
2. Speed doesn't always go up with power level; Trunk used that super muscular SSJ and it slowed his speed.
3. Acceleration/movement capability and speed due to linearly scale; Einstein's equation for the amount of acceleration needed go go at, say, 2 kph does not follow a linear progression.
4. FTL travel by simply moving super fast is impssible. Yes, DBZ isn't that scientifically accurate, but when the Z warriors move quickly regurarly they aren't movin in some magical way; they're moving very fast.

Disproof: Of the villians with planet busting capabilities, only Buu has been able to casually destroy planets. Cell had to charge up his attackand Freiza caused a chain reaction. also, most ki blasts in the later part of the series seem to have an explosive radius similar to low to high yield nuclear weapons, but that is a miniscule fraction next to the amount of energy needed to destroy a planet. To suggest that the Z warriors cancasually destroy planets would be suggesting that they're using less than 0.001% of their energy when fighting, whih given their heavy breathing and facial expressions is a false claim. Besides, most of the Z warriors can't breath in space and would be suicidal to use a planet buster in a fight.

You've made several mistakes.

1. Agreed. Though one of my coworkers (former) had a very interesting and logical point about that: it takes a certain level of ki before one can form it into the world as visible energy. (Meaning, there is a floor limit that must be obtained before you can use ki to fire blasts and fly...n'stuff. Videl probably represents that minimum requirement when Gohan was teaching her...as she could barely do that other stuff..but she was definitely superhuman, at that point.

2. Trunk's USSJ form is the only example out of ANY powerup that slows the person down. It is the only exception and it is explicitly stated to be that way because of his size. no expression

3. K. Point?

4. O rly? And so are all the magical things, such as Ki blasts...so why does that matter?

Goku is definitely wrong about it ony being lightspeed as he traverses vast distances that are many light years (millions to billions) in mere seconds. That's a writing error. Goku can travel many thousands to millions of times faster than light. It defies physics...because it's magic. no expression

And, your planet busting point is a complete fail: Roshi and Piccolo easily destroyed the moon which is 81 times less massive than the earth (if I remember that right).

TheAuraAngel
Anyone who has a power level over Base Freiza could destroy a planet with little effort.

Astner

Goku never said that the Instant transmission ability transported you at the speed of light. What you're referring to was brought up in the anime. Furthermore travel is not proportional, or even related to agility and reflexes. There are plenty of heroes, Rurouni Kenshin for one, who can react to gunfire but isn't a fast runner. As for fighting slower than light, there's no strict evidence implying that either. I'm not arguing that they're faster than light, I'm arguing against your reasoning for why they aren't.

Power level can be linearly proportional to speed but not energy output.
Yes, it's apparent in the manga that the characters can distribute their ki to raise specific attributes, that they can trade speed of strength and vice versa.
That's not how Einstein's equation work, the one you're probably referring to equates energy and acceleration, not acceleration and speed. Either way it's impossible to apply Einstein's theory of relativity considering that there is interstellar travel within the Dragon Ball universe.
No.

That's plot restriction. It's made perfectly clear in the Majin Buu arc that the saiyajin were able to destroy planets before they were erradicated by Frieza.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/5689/dbv37175.th.gifhttp://img697.imageshack.us/img697/5635/dbv37176.th.gif

There's further evidence in the fact that Shenron can only grant wishes within his creator's reach, and he recreated planets.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Astner
That's plot restriction. It's made perfectly clear in the Majin Buu arc that the saiyajin were able to destroy planets before they were erradicated by Frieza.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/5689/dbv37175.th.gifhttp://img697.imageshack.us/img697/5635/dbv37176.th.gif

There's further evidence in the fact that Shenron can only grant wishes within his creator's reach, and he recreated planets. He said the Saiyans could, meaning, as a whole, not that any individual Saiyan could.

But yeah, DBZ characters end of series can destroy planets obviously, hell, they have been able to do so fairly easily since Cell saga at least.

wakkawakkawakka
This is out of curiosity but wen did Goku get telepathic powers; the guy seems to mentally talk to all his friends whenever he needs energy to do a spirit bomb or something. This seems a little odd to me.

Another issue about DBZ is that some people will tend to believe that the Saiyans, as well as other characters, are galaxy busters; which isn't true or highly unlikely.

NemeBro
He got them from King Kai.

wakkawakkawakka
I though he had to touch king kai in order to do that. Either way when did this happen?

Astner
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
I though he had to touch king kai in order to do that. Either way when did this happen?
Post King Kai's training Goku has always been able to do it. That's how he helped Krillin and Gohan to hit Vegeta with the spirit bomb. But his telepathy is rather limited when compared to king Kai's, that's why he had his hand on king Kai's back when informing the Z-fighters that he'd return to earth for one day in the beginning of the Majin Buu arc.

No End N Site
From a logical standpoint, doesn't leavin' after images mean you're at least, close to the speed of light? Like how somethin movin' FTL would appear in 2 places at once (where it 1st started and where it eneded up). I mean, that's what 'they' say.

Kinda like how you see a star in the night sky but in truth the star is long burned out and the light form the star is just reaching your eyes. Seems like how Vegito appeared to be standin' still but was really kickin' Buu's ass. I mean, if he was just movin' faster than the eye could see, he wouldn't have been seen at all. If I ran a lap at FTL speeds, I would instantly appear right next to myself as if I had a twin. Thus leavin' an after image.

NemeBro
Originally posted by No End N Site
From a logical standpoint, doesn't leavin' after images mean you're at least, close to the speed of light? No.

No End N Site
What in real life leaves a clear after image? Before I started beatin' the shit outta you, you saw me sittin' down drinkin a shake and while I was beatin' shit outta you, you still could see me drinkin' the same shake in the same position in the back ground as if I hadn't moved. Not only are you seein' this anomaly, so is everyone else witnessin' this glorious ass kickin'. If somethin' is so fast that past and present appear at the same time that's not any where near the speed of light?

NemeBro
Wave your hand in front of your monitor. smile

No End N Site
Okay? I'm leavin' a blur. It does not look like 2 clear hands are in front of the monitor. What I am witnessing does not look impossible. Cats in DBZ leave after images that make it seem like they can go back and shake hands with themselves. The eyes are not simply skippin' or showin' parts of frames. I am seein' some one in the present as they were 10 secs ago, perfectly, while they are behind me doing somethin' else entirely.

Demonic Phoenix
From a logical standpoint, doesn't leavin' after images mean you're at least, close to the speed of light?

Happens quite often in Manga I believe.

http://haven-reader.net/manga/Bleach/Chapter%20163/%5Bmanga-rain%5Dbleach-ch163-12.png

http://haven-reader.net/manga/Bleach/Chapter%20163/%5Bmanga-rain%5Dbleach-ch163-14.png

Ichigo (^^^^) could not move or attack at speeds even a fraction of Light Speed.

Granted, I'm probably making some kind of logical fallacy here by bringing up a completely different manga...

Q99
It is a common visual shorthand in manga and I will mention that Eiji from Prince of Tennis can leave 'em too. Heck, he once effectively fought a 'doubles' match in a single player game by giving himself an afterimage buddy (also: Manga forgets afterimages are still supposed to have movement between them, and acts like they're physical things. Of which bleach is quite guilty- how exactly is a cut-up afterimage supposed to bleed without the original being hurt?).

It's supposed to represent tricking the eye or something, not speed-of-light. Or just... well, a fundamental unreality in how many manga work.

No End N Site
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
Happens quite often in Manga I believe.

http://haven-reader.net/manga/Bleach/Chapter%20163/%5Bmanga-rain%5Dbleach-ch163-12.png

http://haven-reader.net/manga/Bleach/Chapter%20163/%5Bmanga-rain%5Dbleach-ch163-14.png

Ichigo (^^^^) could not move or attack at speeds even a fraction of Light Speed.

Granted, I'm probably making some kind of logical fallacy here by bringing up a completely different manga...

No no no no no. That's not what I mean. Ichigo looks hella blurry. I mean a PERFECT image. Like Vegito standin there, no blurs, nothin'. He looks like he is there but he is not/he is at the same time. You are seein' him in the past as if it were in the present and he is presently RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU phuckin' you up but cuz light has not caught up to him, you can't see him in front of you, even though he is.

It's like he split himself into ONLY 2 people. One is visible and is doing nothing, mean while one is not visible and is currently/will be raping you. He was literly doin' what is said would happen if you move faster than light and lived to tell about it.

dadudemon
No no no no no. That's not what I mean. Ichigo looks hella blurry. I mean a PERFECT image. Like Vegito standin there, no blurs, nothin'. He looks like he is there but he is not/he is at the same time. You are seein' him in the past as if it were in the present and he is presently RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU phuckin' you up but cuz light has not caught up to him, you can't see him in front of you, even though he is.

It's like he split himself into ONLY 2 people. One is visible and is doing nothing, mean while one is not and is currently/will be raping you.
That's more like magic than a really electromagnetic phenomena.

/pontification

It could never happen in the real world. The object would disappear as soon as it left. No after image, nothing. If it's not there, no light can reflect from it. If the object moved from it's spot faster than, it would either turn completely into energy (due to the infinite amount of acceleration and then braking the C barrier) or it would go back in time....making it leave it's location even sooner than it left it's location. So it would disappear before it even attempted to leave. no expression

laughing

ares834
Originally posted by dadudemon
It could never happen in the real world. The object would disappear as soon as it left. No after image, nothing. If it's not there, no light can reflect from it. If the object moved from it's spot faster than, it would either turn completely into energy (due to the infinite amount of acceleration and then braking the C barrier) or it would go back in time....making it leave it's location even sooner than it left it's location. So it would disappear before it even attempted to leave. no expression
Nah. He would leave an after image, although it would last a tiny fraction of a second, as it would take a minascule amount of time for the light reflecting from where he was standing to reach your eyes.

No End N Site
That's more like magic than a really electromagnetic phenomena.

/pontification

laughing

confused

I learned that if you move faster than light and returned next to where you were. You could see yourself as you were before you left and witnesses would only see the past you, frozen in time but could not see you next to yourself lookin' at your past self. You would forever be in the future. Everything you do would not be percieved until much later.

Astner
Originally posted by NemeBro
Wave your hand in front of your monitor. smile
That's just because your screen don't emit light in a continuous flow. It flickers with around 24 images per second and between each flicker your eye captures sequencing pictures of your hand which it adds together with a blur effect to compensate for the seeming lack of continuous movement. You won't be able to do the same in the sunlight.

You're comparing apples to oranges here.

dadudemon
That's just because your screen don't emit light in a continuous flow. It flickers with around 24 images per second and between each flicker your eye captures sequencing pictures of your hand which it adds together with a blur effect to compensate for the seeming lack of continuous movement.

That was his exact point. no expression

And, no, it's an excellent comparison. You missed his point, btw.

Demonic Phoenix

It's like he split himself into ONLY 2 people. One is visible and is doing nothing, mean while one is not visible and is currently/will be raping you. He was literly doin' what is said would happen if you move faster than light and lived to tell about it.
http://haven-reader.net/manga/Bleach/Chapter%20299/M7_Bleach_Ch299_10.png

http://haven-reader.net/manga/Bleach/Chapter%20299/M7_Bleach_Ch299_11.png

Point is, afterimages are only a visual technique to imply extraordinary speed. Extraordinary movement speed that is not known to be >C or even close to C in either DB(Z) or Bleach.
IT is the only technique Goku knows with which he cross Light Year distances near instantly, and IT is teleportation.

No End N Site
Too damn bad no body knows WTF I'm actually talkin' about. I'm not speakin' on the common blurs that occur in real life. I'm talkin' about puttin' my damn hand in front of my monitor, and pullin' it back so damn fast that it still look like it's there.

No End N Site
-edit-
Forgot to mention that after I pull my hand back to my side from the monitor, I look down at my side to see my hand and it is not there.

Astner
That was his exact point. no expression
I know, that's why I brought it up and pointed out that it wasn't a sufficient comparison.

And, no, it's an excellent comparison. You missed his point, btw.
No I didn't. Furthermore bury the hatchet already, it's getting really annoying to find you quoting me out of context or pointing out a semantic error after each and every single one of my posts.

Endless Mike
Are people seriously arguing that afterimages = lightspeed?

Astner
Originally posted by Endless Mike
No.

AthenasTrgrFngr
it's getting really annoying to find you... pointing out a semantic error...

laughing out loud

No End N Site
Originally posted by Endless Mike

No.

dadudemon
I know, that's why I brought it up and pointed out that it wasn't a sufficient comparison.

No I didn't. Furthermore bury the hatchet already, it's getting really annoying to find you quoting me out of context or pointing out a semantic error after each and every single one of my posts.

It is a sufficient comparison. You missed his point. And this stuff about hatchets...what is wrong with you? Are you that pretentious? You do know that I still have a nice long reply typed up (saved wink ) to our conversation in the Tsunade versus thread, but I didn't post it specifically to end the argument, right? no expression Get over yourself. You can be wrong. It happens.

Originally posted by AthenasTrgrFngr
laughing out loud

laughing

It took me a bit to get what you did, there.

carver9
I undrstand exactly what he is talking about... during vegito and buu fight vegito blitzed buu but in our eyes it appeared as if vegito was still standing there with his arms across each other... still talking to buu but in reality... the entire vegito was beating buu ass. Then the scene go down to hercule and hercuke is still seeing vegito just standing there but again... the entire time buu and vegito was battling. Another thing that he is saying is during that one scene vegito and buu were throwing punches and vegito was blocking them but in our eyes it appeared as if the air itself was blocking buu punches... vegito arms was still at his side and these were super speed punches... that is completely different than a after image... that is exactly what he was saying... a being that can live in the past and present.

KAIKAGE

Ok look cell had to charge up his attack because his attack had to get past gohan first, and frieza said himself he held back too much power. I mean vegeta destroyed a planet easily with just two fingers when he was then vastly weaker than both frieza and cell, plus broly destroyed a planet even more casually than buu.

Victory-prime
silly question bu, is the instant transmission in the anime different from the manga?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.