Would You Ever Save a Child if You Could?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stoic
I was watching the television the other day, and a commercial came on with these little kids, and they were starving. They had no food, and very little in terms of shelter.

Two years ago, I read in the New jersey Star Ledger that an infant was abducted from her mother, by her father, and sold into slavery, the local police told her to give up her search, because it was in vain, and that she would never see her daughter again. I also read that when this happens the children live a life of torture and sexual abuse, and are often killed.

I was wondering, if you had the money, would you ever consider sponsoring one of these children? I seem to be developing a burden within me to do this, am I being naive or foolish? Will I give money to an organization, thinking that my money is taking care of a child, while he or she receives none of it?

Whats your take on this?

Bardock42
I think charity is a very worthwhile thing to do. I'd make sure though ( as sure as I can) through research that I am not just giving money to a corrupt organization or a scam, and i'd find a good cause. In theory I think helping children is a great cause, I don't know how much of those TV ad charities actually goes to the children and how it is executed. But you should definitely look into it more, when I have more money to spare I will do so, too, though I am not sure what charities to give to yet.

Liberator
I don't think just having money is enough to help these children. You could have all the money in the world and there'd still be miserable children.

It all comes down to parenting, and without good parenting the kid in blatant terms is going to be screwed up.

The Nuul
Sure, If I had the money. The kids shouldnt have to suffer because of their parents or living in a poverty conutry. Giving money to charity and they could just steal it or the kid is still in a shit place. Its best to bring them to a better World for a better life.

Bicnarok

MildPossession
Not save in that way, I don't like giving money to organisations where I don't know where it will end up. So no, I will not give money to sponsor a child or anyone.

Robtard
Originally posted by Liberator

It all comes down to parenting, and without good parenting the kid in blatant terms is going to be screwed up.

Think he's talking about starving children in 3rd world countries, not so sure parenting is the cause in these cases, as much as extreme poverty, famine and/or war is.

The Nuul
Originally posted by Liberator

If the parent/s are starving or dying, how is that bad parenting?

siriuswriter
If I know exactly where the money is going, then yes. As in, I need see a budget that says how much is going to making wells, how much is going to building a school. I'd also want How much of my money goes to the corporation? How much will slip through the cracks because the charity might not be as efficient as they could?

If it just is some random, vague-titled charity where the money could be going to Kim Jung-Il , then I'm keeping my money.

Peach
Not without first heavily researching the charity and seeing just where and how the money is spent. For example, I wouldn't donate to anything where maybe a few cents out of a dollar (if that) actually goes to the cause it's supposedly supporting.

jaden101
I hate the recently implemented policy by charities to try and make you feel guilty for not giving money. The collectors that go around with charity tins are the worst...Especially when they ask you deliberately skewed questions like "Would you like to save a child's life?" or "Would you like to help cure cancer?"

Anyone with any sense of shame can't say no...Luckily for me, though, I have no shame whatsoever.

StyleTime
I actually thought this was meant in a more immediate sense. Like.....child in a burning building type saving.

I'd like to think I am selfless enough to save a child in danger, but I wouldn't know until the situation arose. A burning building could take both of us out, which does more harm than good.

As for the true nature of the thread, Bardock42's sentiments mirror my own to a considerable degree. It's as if he was in my head.

King Kandy
I think it would probably help more to change the situation from a top down level, i.e. get rid of the corruption that causes these situations to exist.

inimalist
hey everyone who wants to save kids in other countries:

There are homeless children in your city

less cynical: Sure, but if I were going to start, I'd adopt locally, though it is a series of hoops to jump through (I recently learned that, while it is expensive and a lengthy process to adopt a Chinese child, this is much less money and effort than would be required to adopt a Canadian child )

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by inimalist
hey everyone who wants to save kids in other countries:

There are homeless children in your city

less cynical: Sure, but if I were going to start, I'd adopt locally, though it is a series of hoops to jump through (I recently learned that, while it is expensive and a lengthy process to adopt a Chinese child, this is much less money and effort than would be required to adopt a Canadian child )

Hah! True enough. Charity begins at home.

Lord Lucien
Wouldn't do it.

KidRock
I believe all those charities are scams. The CEO of the red cross makes almost half a million dollars a year..yeah, no thanks I will not be donating money to her salary.

Stoic
Thanks, you all gave me the perspective on this issue that I was looking for. I guess that there really isn't any wrong or right answer to this situation. My thoughts were on the children in 3rd world countries that have absolutely nothing.

I also realize that the organizations that solicit, these Help the Children Foundations may be corrupt, but I was also thinking that some may actually be truly out in the field, doing just what they say that they are. I realize that they also use some of the funds as personal drawings, so that they can get the job done.

When I was growing up, my older brother used to always tell me how he enjoyed giving presents more than receiving them (which he did very often). I'll be honest... I thought he was doing it was for shock value. I didn't really understand his way of thinking, all I knew was that I loved getting gifts. Giving was so hard a concept for me, but as I've grown older, I see what he was trying to show me.

I may also be wrong for not wanting to support the less fortunate children in my own back yard, but I feel as if the humane welfare system over here is far more robust, than it is in foreign lands, and so my burden lies with them.

Thanks for the feed guys it helped.

King Castle
but, its cost of living, you wouldnt do it for free would you? she needs to eat and own a car rather then lease same with a home in beverly hills sad

if you wanna help do what iliminist start here.. in your city/town country the country next door on your own damn continent mexico or canada... your brother down south or up north

ADarksideJedi
I would and I would also save babies from not getting aborted as well.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by KidRock
I believe all those charities are scams. The CEO of the red cross makes almost half a million dollars a year..yeah, no thanks I will not be donating money to her salary.

So lets see. The Red Cross gives out a billion dollars a year in international charity work and you want to condemn them based on their CEO having a six figure salary?

A better criticism would be that "charity" is just another way of saying "welfare". Every time you save a kid from dying it teaches them to be dependent on others. If a five year old can't pull himself up by his own bootstraps that isn't anyone's problem but his own, it's insulting that people would ask for my money to save someone from their own laziness.

Tha C-Master
Six figures a year isn't all that much money anyways. I'm a business owner and I know full well that once you get there and you have other expenses it isn't what it seems. It isn't bad money, but you aren't "the stuff" by any means. I guess it depends as it is an elastic term, but still. A person making 10,000 a year moving up to 30,000 a year will have a larger impact than someone making 1mill a year and moving to 2mill.

I like to donate and help those who want to help themselves and try, not to those who don't want to do anything. I detest laziness.

Two other things, giving will always come back to you more, and I'm not saying that it's the truth from experience. I've seen the results first hand.

Also giving money doesn't solve anything if the person/mindset isn't change, there are a vast number of people, even in America who you could do anything for and they'd still be poor. I've tried to help out certain people, give them jobs, and I recently did a loan (which I almost never do), to find that the said person gambled it. People make themselves poor more often than not, especially here. So many people make excuses when the answer is right in front of them and they just don't want to do anything about it.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I would and I would also save babies from not getting aborted as well. So you would help abort them?

inimalist
Originally posted by Tha C-Master
A person making 10,000 a year moving up to 30,000 a year will have a larger impact than someone making 1mill a year and moving to 2mill.

Stoic
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
So lets see. The Red Cross gives out a billion dollars a year in international charity work and you want to condemn them based on their CEO having a six figure salary?

A better criticism would be that "charity" is just another way of saying "welfare". Every time you save a kid from dying it teaches them to be dependent on others. If a five year old can't pull himself up by his own bootstraps that isn't anyone's problem but his own, it's insulting that people would ask for my money to save someone from their own laziness.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but a five year old? Come on, that person is still a baby in terms of life experience. The concept of being mature, and responsible to many kids that age or even older, is as alien as learning to speak another language. Most children, just wouldn't be able to grasp it. Being a child is as important as being responsible no?

I'm not trying to criticize you on your beliefs, but were you ready to support yourself when you were five?

jaden101
Are you an idiot?

Bardock42
Originally posted by jaden101
Are you an idiot?

Well, without context sarcasm is hard to detect in writing.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
So you would help abort them?

No I would stop people from aborting there babies.It is sad that kids are hungry out there and I want to help that too.But people don't think that kiling a baby is also bad.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bardock42
Well, without context sarcasm is hard to detect in writing.

Poe's law strikes again.

I'd say it is still a better criticism than deciding that all charities are scams.

inimalist
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

I think it might be more relevant that the CEO of a major international organization like the Red Cross, which handles billions of dollars every year, is only paid in the six figures.

MildPossession
It's none of your business if a woman who has made up her mind wants to have an abortion.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.