Black hole

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Colossus-Big C
a black hole seems "black" because all light gets absorbed into it and none reflects to our eyes so we just see a black spot in space
if a black hole were to somehow (i know its not possible) stop absorbing light and let it reflect back to our eyes while keeping its normal compositions what would we actually see? a star? a large pile of mass?
God? Wolverine?

jaden101
Gay men having sex...According to scientists who study these things.

Thankfully it'll never happen though.

inimalist
depending on the wavelength of light, we would see an infinitely small point of light, likely with extremely high brightness , in the colour of said wavelength.

if it just stoped absorbing "light" altogether, the colour would be white.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by inimalist
depending on the wavelength of light, we would see an infinitely small point of light, likely with extremely high brightness , in the colour of said wavelength.

if it just stoped absorbing "light" altogether, the colour would be white. so we would see a white gap in space?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
a black hole seems "black" because all light gets absorbed into it and none reflects to our eyes so we just see a black spot in space
if a black hole were to somehow (i know its not possible) stop absorbing light and let it reflect back to our eyes while keeping its normal compositions what would we actually see? a star? a large pile of mass?
God? Wolverine?

Seems like a nonsensical question to me. If a black holes start reflecting stuff its no longer a black hole.

What would a dog look like if it ceased to be a dog?

However if you want to side step the set up and get to the very simple question of "what is the shape of a black hole?" the answer is "a perfect sphere". In fact a very small one: the Earth would be 1.2 centimeters across, our whole solar system, would be six kilometers across, the Milky Way would be 2 light year across (less than the distance between here and the nearest star).

If you strip away the event horizon... well you no longer have a black hole anymore.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Seems like a nonsensical question to me. If a black holes start reflecting stuff its no longer a black hole.

What would a dog look like if it ceased to be a dog?

However if you want to side step the set up and get to the very simple question of "what is the shape of a black hole?" the answer is "a perfect sphere". In fact a very small one: the Earth would be 1.2 centimeters across, our whole solar system, would be six kilometers across, the Milky Way would be 2 light year across (less than the distance between here and the nearest star). inimalist answered it pretty nice

Symmetric Chaos
inimalist answered it pretty nice

It seems more like he's describing the singularity to you.

inimalist
inimalist answered it pretty nice

however, Sym understands this stuff much better than I

I was just talking about light perception

Bicnarok

inimalist
Originally posted by Bicnarok
First of all black holes are theoretical, not prover to exist. Even though you will hear a lot of "black hole in the center of our galaxy" or "...wierd anomoly is probably a black hole" on the news and in science magazines.

they were able to photograph the event horizon of the Milky Way a few years ago.

Bicnarok

Symmetric Chaos

inimalist
It has to do with this: http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/news/2008/pr200816.html

because I remember that was the telescope technique they were using.

I can't find it for the life of me... strange...

Parmaniac
God? Wolverine? Wolverine, scientists already proved it if they would be visible they would look exactly like Wolverine. This or pink shoe creme.

kgkg
God? Wolverine? I want to see God but I have a feeling Wolverine is what I will see.

Colossus-Big C
IMO we would see is a very large mass of anti matter, or just a complete void of unspace

or maybe its just alien planets in cloak

whats wrong with you colossus?

Shakyamunison
IMO we would see is a very large mass of anti matter, or just a complete void of unspace

or maybe its just alien planets in cloak

Antimatter looks just like matter. If you could look inside a black-hole you would see a singularity. What a singularity looks like is unknown, but it might look like the big bang.

Mindship
In a manner of speaking: the implicate order gives rise to the explicate via superstrings. The explicate order is returned to the implicate via black holes.

smokin'

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Antimatter looks just like matter. If you could look inside a black-hole you would see a singularity. What a singularity looks like is unknown, but it might look like the big bang. what does the big bang look like?

IIRC light didnt leave it until after a really long time, so the big bang didnt look like anything.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by 753
IIRC light didnt leave it until after a really long time, so the big bang didnt look like anything.

Though, technically, the materials in it all had physical properties like the ones today so you could describe what it looks like.

Shakyamunison
what does the big bang look like?

That was my point. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Lord Lucien
what does the big bang look like? Boom.

nasa tells me this is what they look like up close

inimalist
space vagina?

Parmaniac
hRJgqx8Zww8&feature=related

start @ 2:50

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.