Deadliest Warrior

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kaibs
Does anyone watch this show? It's on SPIKE TV. I just started watching it today. It's pretty damn awesome.

Greysen93
Yeah, I've seen the first 2 seasons, I like it a lot. I really want to see season 3.

KingD19
It would be even better if they gave them a bigger CGI/Special Effects budget.

Greysen93
Yeah, it would, but I still like the show. I really want to see the vampire vs zombies episode in season 3

-K-M-
Watched all three seasons, some chessy stuff but lots of interesting stuff. Glad they got rid of the computer guy from seasons 1 and 2.

Robtard
Good show, just don't take it seriously.

I do like that in the later seasons they started using more even standards, instead of testing one sword on a plank of wood and then another on a pig carcass.

Greysen93
Yeah, I don't take it very seriously, but yeah it is interesting though.

KingD19
It's one of those shows that's fun to watch, but don't try to go to a logical place with it.

And the zombie v vamp fight was fun. They used the slow horde zombies vs the 30 days of night variant of vampire.

CosmicComet
Originally posted by -K-M-
Watched all three seasons, some chessy stuff but lots of interesting stuff. Glad they got rid of the computer guy from seasons 1 and 2.

seriously?

max was one of the best parts of the show.

the computer guy from season 3 was boring, and he was a ****ing fraud too. (seriously, guy claimed he was a green beret, and got caught for it after the show was over)

Robtard
Ha, funny. He did seem too fat.

Greysen93
Originally posted by KingD19
It's one of those shows that's fun to watch, but don't try to go to a logical place with it.

And the zombie v vamp fight was fun. They used the slow horde zombies vs the 30 days of night variant of vampire. Yeah exactly. Oh, that's cool that fight sounds good.

-K-M-
Originally posted by CosmicComet
seriously?

max was one of the best parts of the show.

the computer guy from season 3 was boring, and he was a ****ing fraud too. (seriously, guy claimed he was a green beret, and got caught for it after the show was over)

I didn't like the fat guy either, but he brought a better software. I didn't know they called him a green beret? That's funny

Lord Shadow Z
Best bit for me was when they obliterated a head with a Morning Star in the Pirate vs Knight episode, just complete carnage. I also find it funny when the 'experts' are outed but it's just fun to watch with all the weapon testing because it's interesting to see how effective they were.

The simulations are BS because the skill of the fighter should determine the battles, not the weapons. The weapons help but if the guy or gal can't shoot for s**t or wield a melee weapon right then the outcomes could be anything really.

KingD19
Originally posted by Greysen93
Yeah exactly. Oh, that's cool that fight sounds good.

Yeah, it was 3 Vampires against, 105-150 zombies or so. Vamps won with one guy left. It was glorious.

And I agree Shadow, but they can't really go into detail about how good each individual fighter is in group sims, although they could potentially say, Blackbeard v (other famous warrior) and base it off weapons and fighting ability.

Greysen93
Yeah, it was 3 Vampires against, 105-150 zombies or so. Vamps won with one guy left. It was glorious.

And I agree Shadow, but they can't really go into detail about how good each individual fighter is in group sims, although they could potentially say, Blackbeard v (other famous warrior) and base it off weapons and fighting ability. That's sweet.

-K-M-
And I agree Shadow, but they can't really go into detail about how good each individual fighter is in group sims, although they could potentially say, Blackbeard v (other famous warrior) and base it off weapons and fighting ability.

They have done that before, but they based their fighting skill on some other guy using their weapons as an outcome on how they would do.

I think Rashad Evans was used in some scanrios for Alexander the Great.

Newjak
Originally posted by -K-M-
They have done that before, but they based their fighting skill on some other guy using their weapons as an outcome on how they would do.

I think Rashad Evans was used in some scanrios for Alexander the Great. They've also brought in Chuck Liddel to test a Gladiator weapon.

And Deadliest Warrior did test skill with use of the weapons, using the experts. Of course that isn't always the best way of doing it stick out tongue

CosmicComet
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
Best bit for me was when they obliterated a head with a Morning Star in the Pirate vs Knight episode, just complete carnage. I also find it funny when the 'experts' are outed but it's just fun to watch with all the weapon testing because it's interesting to see how effective they were.

The simulations are BS because the skill of the fighter should determine the battles, not the weapons. The weapons help but if the guy or gal can't shoot for s**t or wield a melee weapon right then the outcomes could be anything really.

Except skill is IMPOSSIBLE to quantify.

Don't take too much salt on the idea that skill does 'most of the work'. Hardly.

The equipment kills and saves your life. You just have to competent enough to wield it.

They assume a base skill for all the warriors, e.g. they are able to use their equipment the way they are supposed to.

And from there, the equipment is what will be the deciding factor by far.

Take a knight and samurai--pre-gunpowder, of equal experience, and there's little chance of the latter winning due to the former's equipment advantage, for example.

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Except skill is IMPOSSIBLE to quantify.

Don't take too much salt on the idea that skill does 'most of the work'. Hardly.

The equipment kills and saves your life. You just have to competent enough to wield it.

They assume a base skill for all the warriors, e.g. they are able to use their equipment the way they are supposed to.

And from there, the equipment is what will be the deciding factor by far.

Take a knight and samurai--pre-gunpowder, of equal experience, and there's little chance of the latter winning due to the former's equipment advantage, for example.

But it's something they completely ignore entirely. If skill is impossible to quantify then they shouldn't be doing fight comparisons. Without the fighters the weapons are inert objects.

Take the gun testing sequences for example, fired by 'supposed' experts. One guy might shoot the target, make mistakes and based on those mistakes the weapon is judged badly. Yet take another expert shooter who is a better shot than the previous then the weapon would be judged better. They're not accounting for skill, they are just taking the result they get on the day, on a safe gun range no less.

Same for melee, well even more so for melee because with that you have to take into account the fighting style that they use with the melee weapon in the first place and match that up to the one it's fighting against. They don't do that at all, they analyse weapon material, cutting/bludgeoning damage etc. This is as if the opponent is just going to be standing there and that may be the case with the stationary ballistic gel dummies and pigs they use, but not with an enemy combatant.

As for your Knight vs Samurai opinion not necessarily... the knight was useless after falling on his back with the armour on against the pirate and if the samurai managed to get in close and trip the knight, visor up, sword in face. Now, that's what I mean, they don't quantify fighting styles or the possibilty of a moving, dodging target or cheap tricks or... I could go on.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
the knight was useless after falling on his back with the armour on This is a lie that has for some reason been perpetuated for years. It's total bullshit.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.