The Social Network

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
How is there no thread on this?

Premise (from wiki): "Adapted from Ben Mezrich's 2009 book The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook: A Tale of Sex, Money, Genius and Betrayal, the film focuses on the early years of Facebook, founded in 2004.

After being dumped by his girlfriend, Harvard sophomore Mark Zuckerberg decides to create a university version of Hot or Not. Hearing of his technical know-how, identical twins Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss, Harvard classmates, come to him for help starting Harvard Connection, an online community for Harvard students. Perfecting their idea, Zuckerberg creates The Facebook, an immediate success. Infuriated by Zuckerberg's betrayal, the brothers bring him to Federal court on charges of intellectual property theft."

Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53OUHupfqws

This movie was fantastic. Fincher/Sorkin/the cast/Reznor's score, all great. Incredibly relevant to our time, I definitely recommend checking it out.

Anyway, it's 3:30 AM here, so I'm gonna go to sleep; more thoughts later!

jaden101
I saw the trailer the other night. I wasn't blown away so despite your recommendation I'll probably just catch this once it's on Sky.

SnakeEyes
Fair enough; the film's better than the trailer though. Although the trailer I posted up there is really good imo; excellent use of "Creep."

BruceSkywalker
i will not be seeing this as i couldn't care less how facebook was made...

Darth Martin
Thanks for sharing.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
i will not be seeing this as i couldn't care less how facebook was made...

Your loss wink

Kazenji
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
How is there no thread on this?

Not everyone has the same tastes as you.

Darth Martin
Well it is directed by David Fincher. Plus, in my local paper it got a perfect **** star rating.

I guess I'm just not interested in Facebook enough to go. It's not something that has to be viewed in the cinema is it? Couldn't I just wait?

MildPossession
It's surprising there wasn't a topic on it actually, since it's partly about 'facebook' and millions and MILLIONS are on it. Plus who it is directed by.

It's a dvd wait for me I think.

jinXed by JaNx
i agree, looks interesting but i'll wait for dvd

Kaibs
I'll wait for it on cable rather than DVD even. It just isn't that interesting to me I guess. But more power to the people who like it.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Kazenji
Not everyone has the same tastes as you.

Um...

Originally posted by MildPossession
It's surprising there wasn't a topic on it actually, since it's partly about 'facebook' and millions and MILLIONS are on it. Plus who it is directed by.

It's a dvd wait for me I think.

What she said.

Originally posted by Darth Martin
Well it is directed by David Fincher. Plus, in my local paper it got a perfect **** star rating.

I guess I'm just not interested in Facebook enough to go. It's not something that has to be viewed in the cinema is it? Couldn't I just wait?
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
i agree, looks interesting but i'll wait for dvd
Originally posted by Kaibs
I'll wait for it on cable rather than DVD even. It just isn't that interesting to me I guess. But more power to the people who like it.

This is sad... Well, obviously everyone has their preferences; I should stress though that this isn't a movie that relies on the audience knowing anything about facebook, liking facebook, or being interested in facebook. It's part character study, part social commentary, with the most well-written dialogue I've heard this year, trademark kinetic editing from Fincher, and absolutely perfect editing.

Obviously I'm not alone, given that it has a 97% or so on rottentomatoes, but it's too bad you guys aren't giving it a chance in theaters.

That said, different strokes for different folks! I won't chastise any of you guys for never seeing this movie, I just think a lot of you would be pleasantly surprised.

jinXed by JaNx
I still may go see this in the theaters. This just hasn't been a good year for me when it comes to my cinema going experience. I think the last good movie i saw in the cinema was, Wolfman. There have been a few other good movies but, Wolfman is the only one that has stood out. As i said, i do think the movie looks good but i'm just not sure how much i care about the subject material and i usually don't like movies about these type characters. Although it does look like a well made movie and im sure it has some good drama to offer and i also like, Jesse Eisenberg so i still may make my way out to see it. If it came down to, Social network or Wall street 2, i'd definitely choose Social Network lol. I still need to see, The Town, however, so i think that will be my next cinema experience.

~Bun Bun~
I thought it was great. Perfect for our time.

Darth Martin
Yeah, I'd definately see The Town before this.

Kaibs
Um...

What she said.

This is sad... Well, obviously everyone has their preferences; I should stress though that this isn't a movie that relies on the audience knowing anything about facebook, liking facebook, or being interested in facebook. It's part character study, part social commentary, with the most well-written dialogue I've heard this year, trademark kinetic editing from Fincher, and absolutely perfect editing.

Obviously I'm not alone, given that it has a 97% or so on rottentomatoes, but it's too bad you guys aren't giving it a chance in theaters.

That said, different strokes for different folks! I won't chastise any of you guys for never seeing this movie, I just think a lot of you would be pleasantly surprised.

I already know it's not just about how he created Facebook. I already know the story of about everything that happened, with him almost being expelled from Harvard, to him being a shy little pansey. I thought it was interesting, but not interesting enough for people to reinact his life at that time period and film it.

Impediment
I won't be seeing this as I don't care about the origins of Facebook. Yes, I have a Facebook account, by the way.

KingD19
They made him a total dick.

The Nuul
Meh, who cares, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Kaibs
Yep, he just donated a 100 Million to New Jersey schools to try to make his image better right when the movie came out. Which made me care about him even less .

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Kaibs
I already know it's not just about how he created Facebook. I already know the story of about everything that happened, with him almost being expelled from Harvard, to him being a shy little pansey. I thought it was interesting, but not interesting enough for people to reinact his life at that time period and film it.

Again, you're assuming the movie is simply a reenactment of events, which it isn't. It's not a dry documentary or something. You're missing out on a lot of great films by saying "I already know the story." To each his own though.

The Nuul
I would rather watch movie on Gates/MS than this crap.

SnakeEyes
*sigh*

You can't force people to not be stupid.

Kaibs
Again, you're assuming the movie is simply a reenactment of events, which it isn't. It's not a dry documentary or something. You're missing out on a lot of great films by saying "I already know the story." To each his own though.

So you're literally telling me this is a "great" film? Like so good that it actually ranks up there with some of the great films that have been made recently? Out of 10 what would you HONESTLY give the movie?

SnakeEyes
I would say it's a great film. Out of the films I've seen this year, it's my second favorite behind Inception. I would probably rate it a 9/10.

NemeBro
Isn't it a fictionalized account of the events?

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by NemeBro
Isn't it a fictionalized account of the events?

no this is not. Sony Pictures took a lot of liberties making this film

BackFire
So I didn't quite get what the fuss with this movie was about. It was good, but good lord, some of the reviews make it out to be one of the most amazing things every conceived, and it's not, at all.

All the characters were more or less one dimensional, and worst of all, unlikeable to an almost ridiculous degree. I felt no connection to any of the characters. I wanted all of them to fail at whatever they were trying to do. I'm gonna assume this was intentional, though.

The film, however, was very well written and had some good snappy dialogue, and it was also well acted, but I just don't see why this movie is having critics ejaculating all over the place. It seems like just because this movie is about facebook that it becomes "topical and relevant" regardless of whether or not the message or point is.

That said, movie was still good, solid and interesting and well worth watching.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by BackFire
All the characters were more or less one dimensional, and worst of all, unlikeable to an almost ridiculous degree. I felt no connection to any of the characters. I wanted all of them to fail at whatever they were trying to do. I'm gonna assume this was intentional, though.

I didn't find Zuckerberg or Saverin to be one-dimensional at all. Saverin was likable imo and the most relatable character. In a lot of ways, I could also relate to Zuckerberg as portrayed in the film. Obviously I'm not rich, I don't go to Harvard or backstab my friends, BUT they absolutely nailed what it's like to be an outsider in this generation I thought. The last scene/shot was extremely effective, too.

jolly
Social network is drama movie and the site focuses on facebook networking site. how it develops and all about the working of facebook.

BackFire
I didn't find Zuckerberg or Saverin to be one-dimensional at all. Saverin was likable imo and the most relatable character. In a lot of ways, I could also relate to Zuckerberg as portrayed in the film. Obviously I'm not rich, I don't go to Harvard or backstab my friends, BUT they absolutely nailed what it's like to be an outsider in this generation I thought. The last scene/shot was extremely effective, too.

I liked the last shot a lot as well, I don't agree with you about Zuckerberg, though. There was nothing really to relate to with him, I thought. He was a joyless pseudo smartass, and that's all he was throughout the whole movie. There was no real character progression with him. He just seemed sour all the time.

I dunno what you're referring to when you say they nailed what it's like to be an outsider. That aspect of the film was entirely generic. Smart outsider who finds success because of his geekiness. It's been done before.

Saverin, I guess he was the best character by default because he showed emotion and changed a little throughout the story. He felt like the only real human character.

Bicnarok

SnakeEyes
I liked the last shot a lot as well, I don't agree with you about Zuckerberg, though. There was nothing really to relate to with him, I thought. He was a joyless pseudo smartass, and that's all he was throughout the whole movie. There was no real character progression with him. He just seemed sour all the time.

I dunno what you're referring to when you say they nailed what it's like to be an outsider. That aspect of the film was entirely generic. Smart outsider who finds success because of his geekiness. It's been done before.

Zuckerberg wasn't motivated by money, which was interesting, he wanted acceptance and to be well-liked. He was ruthless, yet sympathetic (to me anyway), intellectually he was a genius yet simultaneously he was very immature, etc.

I'd say that the progression is that by the end of the flick, he realizes that everything he'd been working toward isn't going to make him happy. And it isn't going to grant him social acceptance. He ****ed over the one genuine friend he had and he feels guilt and remorse by the time it's over with. In creating the world's largest social network, he's completely alienated himself, and he realizes that at the end.

As for my comment about "nailing what it's like to be an outsider" I guess I should credit that to Eisenberg's performance most of all, which I thought was great. Cocky, yet insecure, very intelligent but he says all the wrong things in social situations, detatched and yearning for people to like him, nobody in the film (except maybe Saverin) relates to him; I guess you're right, it's not necessarily original per se, but I thought the execution was great.

Discos
So I didn't quite get what the fuss with this movie was about. It was good, but good lord, some of the reviews make it out to be one of the most amazing things every conceived, and it's not, at all.

Totally agree dude, the reviewers are going over the top, I am sure they have been given facebook shares for giving good reviews.

anyways, good movie, very interesting to watch and to find the conclusion.
I like watching movies/documentaries where you see the origins of something huge, it also annoys me when the US film-makers make out that College's are all this wild crazy shit... it really isnt.

Discos - 8/10

SnakeEyes
I agree, some of the reviews are praising it a little too much, but that doesn't change the fact that it's (in my opinion) the best movie so far this year. After letting it stew in my mind, I can safely say it's better than Inception/any other movie I've seen thus far this year.

Discos
Saw it on Friday, and on saturday lunch time me and my friends could not stop talking about the movie/origins of facebook.

its a hot topic smile

suraj143

The Nuul
Saw this for free and liked it. I liked the pace and music. It was far from boring.

8/10

MildPossession
The music is amazing, have bought it already without even seeing the film, so can't wait to see how it is used in the film.

The Nuul
Yeah I am going to get it also.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by The Nuul
Saw this for free and liked it. I liked the pace and music. It was far from boring.

8/10

Hm, guess it wasn't the festering pile of shit you thought it was afterall! eek!

The Nuul
Nope, this shit smells nice.

Darth Vicious
Saw it the other day. Wasnt expecting much but it surprised me. Pretty good. FB founder was a complete A**hole. I liked him. =D

Robtard
WAY overrated flick, it wasn't garbage, but nothing special. Some of the dialogue is what saves the film, characters are meh, acting is meh for the most part and the story really wasn't all that interesting.

Just about every character came off as a worthless piece of shit. Great, but it got old quick.

Rogue Jedi
Shit movie.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Shit movie.

Says the guy with a Resident Evil sig...

roughrider
It's a tremendously entertaining movie; and quite a departure from David Fincher's traditional fare. Aaron Sorkin's script is funny and sharp; normally his dialogue sounds too overwritten for me, but it suits these characters who are accelerating themselves ahead of everyone else. Mark Zuckerberg is almost ADD in his need to do so many things at once; the irony being that his incredibly successful friendship site costs him the close friends around him.

Sir Ris
This was so much better than I thought it was going to be, and this coming from a serious David Fincher fanboy. My personal favorite film of the year, ahead of Inception and Shutter Island. I can't help but feel that a lot of people missed the point of Mark Zuckerberg's character though, given how virtually everyone I've seen comment on him cite the guilt he feels over alienating his friends (or alternatively, best friend) as the main turning point and defining feature of his character, and don't even bring up the regret he feels over how he had blown his chances with his girlfriend, which to me seemed to be quite obviously what the film was portraying as the real root of all of his guilt and sorrow by the end of the film.

I mean, the film portrays Mark Zuckerberg as being emotionally and socially detatched for the vast majority of the film, almost bordering on nihilistic in behaviour. The film begins by portraying him in this manner even when he's with his girlfriend and as she breaks up with him during the opening scene. She goes on to say that girls will never want to be with him, not because he's a geek, but because he's an a$$hole, in clear reference to how he is and how he was acting, and the film continues to portray him in the same manner, for the most part, from when he goes on to be rude about her in his blog, all the way until the end, at which point the legal assistant says that she doesn't think that he really is an a$$hole, but that he's trying too hard to be one. This piece of exposition essentially cements two points about Mark Zuckerberg's character: firstly, that the manner in which he had been acting wasn't really him, and secondly, that he had essentially been trying to be that person, wanting to be that person, acting even more like that person and dedicating himself to being that person ever since his girlfriend had broken up with him because it helps him deal with his regret over how he had pushed her away, when the truth is he was probably like that because he wasn't comfortable with being himself, both socially and emotionally, and didn't really know any other way to interact with others, even his girlfriend, in a normal manner; he was essentially socially awekward and acted cold and played the smartass to deal with it. Instead of looking at how he was unable to maintain his relationship with the girl he loved as a personal vulnerability, a weakness (the irony being how what she had said about how girls would never want to be with him was essentially the reverse from his perspective, where it's probably that he feels that it's not because he's a jerk, but that he's not good (or normal) enough, where she way saying that it was essentially because he was a jerk), he continues, amplifies and fully commits to acting in that way for the rest of the film. The structure of the film essentially higlights this nature of his character: the scene where his girlfriend calls him an a$$hole, one of the final scenes where the legal assistant says that it's not that he's really an a$$hole, but that's trying too hard to be one, and then the closing scene, where he sits down, opens up her facebook page, thinks about adding her as a friend, but then decides against it and depressingly continuously refreshes her facebook page to see if she had been updating her page (indeed, it's heavily implied that he would obsessively do this in his free time) and shows clear signs of regret and sorrow.

Indeed, the only times he actually shows any genuine emotion revolve around the girlfriend; when he starts writing all that stuff in his blog about her, not being himself (obviously) but then pausing and going on to say that she has a nice face, and showing subtle signs that he actually really does like her; when he comes across her in the restaurant later on in the film, and more strongly shows genuine signs of emotion when he asks if he can talk to her and explain himself, only to become even more determined to continue being the "a$$hole" he had been being when she turns his requests down; when later on Sean Parker had been telling him a story and references a girl he had been crazy about (which was clearly not the point of his story) and Mark's thoughts linger on "the girl he had been crazy about" and asks him if he ever still thought about her, clearly reflective of the fact that he still did think of his girlfriend and still didn't know how to deal with his regret over losing her; and of course, the final scene, where the progression of his character that the structure of the film alludes to comes full circle and we see him obsessively refresh her facebook page.

While I do think that he also felt guilty and sad over how he had betrayed his best friend, I think the film quite clearly alludes to the fact that it had been his relationship with his girlfriend that was the root of everything. I think what I'm getting at is that The Social Network is quite clearly a tragic love story more than anything else and it seems that nobody else I've come across quite sees it that way.

Thoughts?

Robtard
Originally posted by Sir Ris

Thoughts?

He came off as a whiny ******* who claims he doesn't care about money, yet made billions because he stole someone's idea and marketed it better; while shafting his best friend who made that idea possible to begin with.

Only reason he cared about his ex-girlfriend, is because she gave him the shaft, despite his own self-important/greatness. Chase what you can't have, more of an ego thing than love.

Sir Ris
But I think what the film's clearly trying to tell the audience is that the outward demonstrations of egotism and arrogance weren't truly him in the first place, but a defence mechanism for dealing with his social awekwardness and vulnerabilities; his obsession over his ex-girlfriend stems from his genuine love for her and not his ego because the truth of the matter is that in reality he doesn't even think that much of himself in the first place. We're also lead to believe that he had been a social outsider for the most part so in all likelihood it's not as if his rejection is exclusive to her anyway. The few times he depicts emotion seem pretty genuine as well.

I think he genuinely didn't care about money either; I think a lot of the way he acted and the actions he took, that had the appearence of being driven by money, were in fact driven by his commitment to continue being an a$$hole, and alternatively, I think he was driven by success as he appears to have wanted to make a name for himself and I think he even wanted to use his success to impress his ex girlfriend; in the scene in the restaurant when he's trying to get her to talk to him he brings up the facebook in what appears to be a way to gain her interest.

Sir Ris

The film, however, was very well written and had some good snappy dialogue, and it was also well acted, but I just don't see why this movie is having critics ejaculating all over the place. It seems like just because this movie is about facebook that it becomes "topical and relevant" regardless of whether or not the message or point is.

That said, movie was still good, solid and interesting and well worth watching.

Saverin, I guess he was the best character by default because he showed emotion and changed a little throughout the story. He felt like the only real human character.

mad

Rogue Jedi
Says the guy with a Resident Evil sig... Says the guy with The Fountain sig...

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Says the guy with The Fountain sig...

It doesn't quite work if the movie's good...

Seriously though, I'd be curious to hear if you have any legitimate reasons for simply calling The Social Network a "shit movie" or if you just have really poor taste. I'm banking on the latter.

AthenasTrgrFngr
laughing out loud oh snakeyes...

roughrider
Originally posted by Robtard
He came off as a whiny ******* who claims he doesn't care about money, yet made billions because he stole someone's idea and marketed it better; while shafting his best friend who made that idea possible to begin with.

Only reason he cared about his ex-girlfriend, is because she gave him the shaft, despite his own self-important/greatness. Chase what you can't have, more of an ego thing than love.

He didn't seem to care about money at all; he just wanted to do something great and cool. He only brought up the money and power he'd gotten when he was feeling angry & threatened at the lawsuit depositions.
The subtle points of the film - the gradual breakdown between Zuckerberg & Savarin - depend on your interpretation, watching the he-said/he-said. Did they really sabotage Savarin's stock options because he was a poor financial head who wasn't getting the results that Sean Parker was? Or did they just let him hang himself because he was getting left behind with the movement they had going?

I think it's a story with no true villain, really. Just a vision that fractured friendships.

Bardock42
Originally posted by KingD19
They made him a total dick.

Perhaps they didn't have to change too much.

Originally posted by The Nuul
I would rather watch movie on Gates/MS than this crap.

Same, which is why I watched Pirates of Silicon Valley....which I loved.

I will watch this sometime, but it doesn't interest me as much. I can definitely wait a year or so for it.

Robtard
Originally posted by roughrider
He didn't seem to care about money at all; he just wanted to do something great and cool. He only brought up the money and power he'd gotten when he was feeling angry & threatened at the lawsuit depositions.
The subtle points of the film - the gradual breakdown between Zuckerberg & Savarin - depend on your interpretation, watching the he-said/he-said. Did they really sabotage Savarin's stock options because he was a poor financial head who wasn't getting the results that Sean Parker was? Or did they just let him hang himself because he was getting left behind with the movement they had going?

I think it's a story with no true villain, really. Just a vision that fractured friendships.

They shafted Savarin. He said "I should have hired lawyers before I signed", i.e. he didn't read the fine print, because he trusted his best-friend wouldn't ass-**** him. So he's overly trusting, not the worst trait in a person.

Zuckerberg was/is the villain, he stole an idea and shafted many a person while he racked in billions, while somehow not caring for money. Right.

MildPossession
That was a major fail. chair

Rogue Jedi

Seriously though, I'd be curious to hear if you have any legitimate reasons for simply calling The Social Network a "shit movie" or if you just have really poor taste. I'm banking on the latter.

My ex and I walked out on The Fountain, as did several others. It's a shit movie. Shit with corn in it.

Social Network was a shit movie to me, I have my reasons.

My RE sig? Yeah, the recent RE movie was shit, but I like Alice as a character. It's an Alice sig, not an RE sig.

roughrider

Zuckerberg was/is the villain, he stole an idea and shafted many a person while he racked in billions, while somehow not caring for money. Right.

Stealing from the Winklevoss Twins - even the Dean at Harvard dismissed it. Zuckerberg got a better idea and ran with it. The Twins idea wasn't much different from MySpace, and it was going to be exclusive to Harvard students. Zuckerberg was the opposite - he wanted a world without arbitrary barriers (like the one that would only get him as far as the bike room at the Winklevoss' fraternity), where everyone could make friends and be welcome. He was anti-elistist to where the Winklevoss Twins came from. Only reason they got a settlement was to make them go away for publicity sake; they couldn't prove Facebook was theirs.

Mr. Rhythmic

Good movie? Where?

Myth
I finally watched this movie and it was very underwhelming. Nothing in it was bad, but its problem was what wasn't in it rather than what was. Every scene was filmed well, the music was good, and the acting was good (although Jesse getting nominated is questionable since he played the character the same he has every other movie). But the movie just lacks a climax. It feels like a huge build up that simply leads to him screwing his friend (which we knew would happen from the beginning) in a not very dramatic fashion. Not only was there no real climax, but there really weren't any scenes that stood out at any moment, which made the movie feel like it moved forward at one dull pace.

6/10 (which is way off from the 9/10 that all the critics seemed to give it)

petrosfan
A very very good movie !

Boron Dalzier
I think the key to understanding this film's greatness is in understanding that the film, rather than truly being about the real story behind the making and early development of facebook, or even the thrilling, exaggerated retelling of the conflict between Zuckaberg and his best friend and other associates, acts primarily and predominantly as a tragic love story. That story is told expertly with subtlety and believability and acts as a great twist on the real life events of the affair, the knowledge of which that was accessible to anybody going into the film in the first place. The climax of the story is in one of the final scenes where you see a broken, depressed Zuckerberg obssessively refresh the facebook page of his ex girlfriend, who in all likelihood was the only person presented in the film that he truly cared about, and pondering over whether or not he should "friend her" and try to talk to her, but then deciding not to.

That being said it would also seem that a lot of the people who actually did like this film didn't really get it either.

Myth
Originally posted by Boron Dalzier
I think the key to understanding this film's greatness is in understanding that the film, rather than truly being about the real story behind the making and early development of facebook, or even the thrilling, exaggerated retelling of the conflict between Zuckaberg and his best friend and other associates, acts primarily and predominantly as a tragic love story. That story is told expertly with subtlety and believability and acts as a great twist on the real life events of the affair, the knowledge of which that was accessible to anybody going into the film in the first place. The climax of the story is in one of the final scenes where you see a broken, depressed Zuckerberg obssessively refresh the facebook page of his ex girlfriend, who in all likelihood was the only person presented in the film that he truly cared about, and pondering over whether or not he should "friend her" and try to talk to her, but then deciding not to.

That being said it would also seem that a lot of the people who actually did like this film didn't really get it either.

What about the people like myself who understood all that stuff, and simply didn't care? I understood that the biggest message was that he seemingly had everything, yet was still alone and wanting that girl to like him, but to me the "climax" being him refreshing a website to see if a girl (who we as the audience barely know) liked him was pretty darn dull.

Nephthys
Maybe thats just cuz you're dead inside.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Nephthys
Maybe thats just cuz you're dead inside.

Nah. The movie was pretty lame in that regard. If someone watches the film for the "love story" portion, they really need to expand their "love story" palette to something other than "shitty love stories" as there are far better ones out there. The acting was decent, but it wasn't memorable. I agree with the 6/10 assessment. I do not understand why this got nominated for any academy awards, much less the 4 or 5 it actually got. This further cements why the academy sucks.

For those of you who liked it: that's cool and I can see why some would like it...it's just not my cup of tea.

Robtard
Originally posted by dadudemon
I agree with the 6/10 assessment.

I do not understand why this got nominated for any academy awards, much less the 4 or 5 it actually got.

This further cements why the academy sucks.

6/10 is probably dead on considering the acting, story and dialogue. ust good enough to be above the middle/average.

Because there's 300+ million Facebook users, this movie appeals to the 'if I don't agree it's the best thing since Q-Tips, I'll be in the out-crowd.'

Agreed. If this flick wins, it won't be the first time a 'meh' film won solely on popularity and not actual film merits. EG Titanic. Though a couple of the awards Titanic won were merited, costume design for one. Director, picture and song? Hell no.

dadudemon
6/10 is probably dead on considering the acting, story and dialogue. ust good enough to be above the middle/average.

Because there's 300+ million Facebook users, this movie appeals to the 'if I don't agree it's the best thing since Q-Tips, I'll be in the out-crowd.'
HA!

It's possible that you might be on to something.

Robtard
I edited and kept on with my rant. Hit "send" too early, had to take a piss.

Boron Dalzier
Perhaps subtlety just isn't something that everyone gets?

To appreciate the tragic love story behind The Social Network is to appreciate the subtlety with which we slowly see Mark Zuckerberg break down as a person and the remorse he felt over their parting.

Boron Dalzier
Originally posted by Myth
What about the people like myself who understood all that stuff, and simply didn't care? I understood that the biggest message was that he seemingly had everything, yet was still alone and wanting that girl to like him, but to me the "climax" being him refreshing a website to see if a girl (who we as the audience barely know) liked him was pretty darn dull.

It didn't matter that we didn't really get to know her character; the entire purpose of her character was more the effect she had on Zuckerberg, which by all implications is exactly what we see in his character progression. He wasn't refreshing her page to see if she liked him either, he was refreshing it to see if she'd made any changes to her page; essentially this was the only way he could really keep in touch with her after everything that had happened. The beauty of the climax is the tragic irony of the situation; Mark Zuckerberg creates this website that's founded upon the basic idea of keeping people connected and has made him a billionaire and given him a name that people will recognise and seemingly everything that would have made him happy, and here he is at the end of the film clearly depressed and remorseful despite his wealth and fame, with the website of the mentioned basic premise open before him, but clearly still not any closer to being able to connect with the one person he seemingly loved. Still as distant as ever (also of note and adding to the irony being the fact that she also seemed to be one of his driving motivations in making facebook such a success in the first place; now that he's made it such a success, he's still not any closer to impressing her, not any closer to being back together with her).

Myth
^ Again, none of that made it any less dull for me.

Boron Dalzier
Originally posted by Nephthys
Maybe thats just cuz you're dead inside. Or just didn't get it! shifty

Robtard
Perhaps subtlety just isn't something that everyone gets?

To appreciate the tragic love story behind The Social Network is to appreciate the subtlety with which we slowly see Mark Zuckerberg break down as a person and the remorse he felt over their parting.

There was nothing subtle about the story, it was laid out crystal clear to see.

"Tragic love story"? WTF. It's a college kid who lost a girlfriend cos he was an annoying ass. Happens all the time; both of them went on with their lives. This wasn't Romeo and Juliet, dude.

Where did he "break down as a person", slowly or otherwise? He was a tool who basically stole an idea and greatly improved on it and ****ed people over along the way. He didn't change all that much from the being of the film to the end.

dadudemon
It didn't matter that we didn't really get to know her character; the entire purpose of her character was more the effect she had on Zuckerberg, which by all implications is exactly what we see in his character progression. He wasn't refreshing her page to see if she liked him either, he was refreshing it to see if she'd made any changes to her page; essentially this was the only way he could really keep in touch with her after everything that had happened. The beauty of the climax is the tragic irony of the situation; Mark Zuckerberg creates this website that's founded upon the basic idea of keeping people connected and has made him a billionaire and given him a name that people will recognise and seemingly everything that would have made him happy, and here he is at the end of the film clearly depressed and remorseful despite his wealth and fame, with the website of the mentioned basic premise open before him, but clearly still not any closer to being able to connect with the one person he seemingly loved. Still as distant as ever (also of note and adding to the irony being the fact that she also seemed to be one of his driving motivations in making facebook such a success in the first place; now that he's made it such a success, he's still not any closer to impressing her, not any closer to being back together with her).

I can sum that giant post up:

A douche acts douchy and that, logically, scares a girl off. He then subtly stalks her.

This makes the movie, somehow, a love story masterpiece?

Myth
^ All the more reason not to care.

healthylife
this movie is worth seeing!!

toneyreed
I like the social network, in addition to everything in society. I had to hold back the DVD, in order to keep track of dialogue. Sound is confused, not only music, but in my opinion, in almost every scene of the background noise than excessive.It is Great movie.

decknelson
The Social Networking is wonderful Biographical and drama movie.Mark Zuckerberg and his invention billion of dollar to changing the face of the world biography, social networks are more than Facebook and its founder story.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.