USA Apologises for Forced STD experiment

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Liberator
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39456324/ns/health-sexual_health

Hey, sorry for kidnapping you and doing some experiments on you, we'll be leaving now...

tl;dr

"U.S. government medical researchers intentionally infected hundreds of people in Guatemala, including institutionalized mental patients, with gonorrhea and syphilis without their knowledge or permission more than 60 years ago. "

EDIT:

Some new info:
"The Guatemala experiments, which were conducted between 1946 and 1948, never provided any useful information and the records were hidden."

So yeah, these people all got some serious STI's without consent or knowledge for... well nothing.

AthenasTrgrFngr
wow.

im speechless tbh

Robtard
Originally posted by Liberator

"U.S. government medical researchers intentionally infected hundreds of people in Guatemala, including institutionalized mental patients, with gonorrhea and syphilis without their knowledge or permission more than 60 years ago. "

LoL.

The Nuul
GO USA!!!! WOOT!

Robtard
At least the US apologized for their actions. Canada has yet to apologize for Celine Dion.

The Nuul
And we dont intent too. Pamela and her are our weapons.

Symmetric Chaos
Wow, that's sick. I can't believe Obama would go around raping people in Guatemala in order to give them STDs.

Kaibs
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Wow, that's sick. I can't believe Obama would go around raping people in Guatemala in order to give them STDs.

As much as I am not an Obama fan, that's about the dumbest thing I've almost read on here. So congrats to you.

inimalist
Originally posted by Kaibs
As much as I am not an Obama fan, that's about the dumbest thing I've almost read on here. So congrats to you.

hahahahaha

oh thats rich

Kinasin
racist.

inimalist
What I love about this is that the appology is an obvious ploy to pre-empt any negative press about the prof uncovering these experiments.

It might seem a little less cynical if, i dont know, the American government willingly started sharing information about past abuses of federal power, not needing it to be found before they recognize they might have something to appologize for.

Symmetric Chaos
You know what I find scary, that the government of Guatemala was apparently complicit in this. Which means that the US either strong armed them into doing it or the Guatemalans saw nothing wrong with the idea.

Originally posted by inimalist
What I love about this is that the appology is an obvious ploy to pre-empt any negative press about the prof uncovering these experiments.

Is that not the purpose of all apologies?

Omega Vision

It might seem a little less cynical if, i dont know, the American government willingly started sharing information about past abuses of federal power, not needing it to be found before they recognize they might have something to appologize for.
Either way its the smart move. This way it gets a few minutes of air time on CNN and a few Blog posts. Had they waited until an intrepid investigator uncovered it it'd become a true media shitstorm.

inimalist
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Either way its the smart move. This way it gets a few minutes of air time on CNN and a few Blog posts. Had they waited until an intrepid investigator uncovered it it'd become a true media shitstorm.

eh, I don't think so.

they obviously had to say something, but I can't see this having a major impact on the American public. Nobody really cares about Tuskeegee, nobody cares about the incarceration and steralization of the mentally handicapped.

In terms of these acts, this one is not really "abnormal" for the CIA or the medical community at the time, so it is hard to be surprised by it, and these other events are well known and there is really no political traction there. I almost assume the apology is a bigger story than the experiments themselves would be.

inimalist
You know what I find scary, that the government of Guatemala was apparently complicit in this. Which means that the US either strong armed them into doing it or the Guatemalans saw nothing wrong with the idea.

indeed. Similar things can be said of the bio-weapons industry, though a lot of that was done by racist regiemes in Africa.

It would be interesting to see what was up... It might have been anti-communist alliances between the intelligence agencies, like with Somoza, though that was more of the American government ignoring abuses by the Somozan gvt.

Is that not the purpose of all apologies?

lol, touche

King Castle
the country should sue take them to civil court or the world court... that should raise some eyebrows and keep it in the media, at least get reparations or get names of people responsible and have them charged for criminal and human rights violation..

Rogue Jedi
yeesh.

inimalist
Originally posted by King Castle
the country should sue take them to civil court or the world court... that should raise some eyebrows and keep it in the media, at least get reparations or get names of people responsible and have them charged for criminal and human rights violation..

dude, oliver north has a talkshow

King Castle
dude, oliver north has a talkshow confused. confused

i just think we need to start holding government officials accountable of federal crimes as well as international violations regardless if they senators or CIA agents a crime is a crime.

it started going down hill since that sh#%bag marine general started supporting and traffic cocaine to raise money for what was an illegal off the books operation which broke not just US laws but foreign sovereignty of other nations.

ever since he was pardon it seems ppl were embolden to do the same.

what was that turds name? what he did was not the marine way or part of its ethos..

edit: never mind you brought up his name and kick started my memory weird how that works..oliver north is who i was describing i had just forgotten his name

Colossus-Big C
when are going to apologize for creating aids on the first place? shifty

Mindset
the country should sue take them to civil court or the world court... that should raise some eyebrows and keep it in the media, at least get reparations or get names of people responsible and have them charged for criminal and human rights violation.. Pretty sure the people responsible are dead or well on their way to being dead.

lil bitchiness

If you mean 'international court', that isn't going to happen. Everyone is eligible to be tried for war crimes or crimes against humanity except for USA - they can put, charge and prosecute people, but they and US soldiers personnel, government officials are immune to it.

Omega Vision
America for better or worse hasn't signed on to a number of international agreements that would hold them accountable to any crimes against humanity they might have committed. Which is really just a demonstration of how impotent all these world organizations are to begin with.

inimalist
confused. confused

i just think we need to start holding government officials accountable of federal crimes as well as international violations regardless if they senators or CIA agents a crime is a crime.

it started going down hill since that sh#%bag marine general started supporting and traffic cocaine to raise money for what was an illegal off the books operation which broke not just US laws but foreign sovereignty of other nations.

ever since he was pardon it seems ppl were embolden to do the same.

what was that turds name? what he did was not the marine way or part of its ethos..

edit: never mind you brought up his name and kick started my memory weird how that works..oliver north is who i was describing i had just forgotten his name

that is my point

we know about these things, and by and large, the public doesn't care

maybe North weaseled his way to immunity from justice, but ffs, he has a TV show. People are obviously not that torn up about these kinds of things.

Liberator
I think this is brings up an even more important issue. How many more cases like this are going on now or have occurred in the last hundred years?

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Liberator
I think this is brings up an even more important issue. How many more cases like this are going on now or have occurred in the last hundred years? they most likely have done shit like this in africa or on slaves

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.