Car Suggestions?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RE: Blaxican
So, I'm 18 (will be 19 in October), just got my license in January, and am looking to buy a car. Despite what I may think about my driving skills, objectively I'm a relatively new and inexperienced driver, and I guess that should be taken into account. I've got a job as a security guard and make about a $1000 a month post taxes. I don't pay rent so most of that money just goes right into my pocket for whatever. I've never missed a payment on anything, but I am only 18 so my credit is about as good as you'd expect it to be.

In a nutshell, I just want a car that is cheap and dependable. I'm not looking for a sportscar or a hotrod, and I've had a couple of Craigslist hand me downs and I've already decided never again for that route. I just want a car that doesn't guzzle gas and isn't likely to fall apart while I'm driving it.

So bearing all the information that I've listed above in mind, anyone care to throw out some suggestions for a car? Specifically, model and even the year would be appreciated. Any comments are welcome though.

Bicnarok

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
So, I'm 18 (will be 19 in October), just got my license in January, and am looking to buy a car. Despite what I may think about my driving skills, objectively I'm a relatively new and inexperienced driver, and I guess that should be taken into account. I've got a job as a security guard and make about a $1000 a month post taxes. I don't pay rent so most of that money just goes right into my pocket for whatever. I've never missed a payment on anything, but I am only 18 so my credit is about as good as you'd expect it to be.

In a nutshell, I just want a car that is cheap and dependable. I'm not looking for a sportscar or a hotrod, and I've had a couple of Craigslist hand me downs and I've already decided never again for that route. I just want a car that doesn't guzzle gas and isn't likely to fall apart while I'm driving it.

So bearing all the information that I've listed above in mind, anyone care to throw out some suggestions for a car? Specifically, model and even the year would be appreciated. Any comments are welcome though.

Pagani Zonda no expression

RE: Blaxican

The Nuul
Get a TDI VW.

Robtard
I'm a MBZ fanboy, I got an 1997 S320 myself. While they are reliable, especially the older ones, the cost of repairs is still higher on the average than a Honda or Toyota.

So if your blackness can forsake the 'bling-bling' aspect of driving a Benz, I'd go with Honda(Civic, Accord esp) or Toyota (Camry, Corolla esp). Both extremely reliable and cheaper to fix than most European cars.

Nissan too, if personally do like the Maxima.

RocasAtoll
Avoid American cars. They're fine now, but anything that you could afford will be in the time period where the US couldn't build an engine to last beyond a year. With used cars, you're normally going to want to look on a case by case basis instead of specific cars. Just look locally, see what used cars you can afford and look up the specific model for the mileage and common problems associated with it.
If all you want is generalities, then look at Toyotas and Hondas. a BMW or Mercedez will be expensive to repair and will in all likeliness have worse former drivers. With cheap used cars, you're looking for cars that middle aged people would drive.

chomperx9
get a Lamborghini murcielago

inimalist
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Surely, surely you've gained enough wisdom from your old and lengthy existences to hand out a little advice on cat buying?

this I can help you with... well, better than cars at least smile

Robtard
Originally posted by inimalist
this I can help you with... well, better than cars at least smile

Hahaha, you pay for pussy.

dadudemon
Get a car that is easy to work on, gets great gas-mileage, and doesn't look like a Yugo.

That narrows it down to older cars.

What do you like?

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Robtard
Honda(Civic...Toyota (Camry

^The two most stolen cars in America. But still, good choices given his limited criteria. In a nutshell, stereotypical soccer-mom sedans (like the two above) would be good for a person in that financial scenario.

His blackness would have to give up a little bling-bling and drive something slightly emasculating, but it still gets you from A to B without taking a huge bite out of your budget.

Bicnarok

AsbestosFlaygon
Since you're a newbie, I suggest you buy a used car or a brand new subcompact.

I know you want to opt for the bling-blingy ones, but let's face it... you're bound to scratch/dent it a few times more than once.

If you really want a huge hauler, like a F-150, buy a used one first.

After a year or so, when your driving skills have enhanced (hopefully), buy any car you feel comfortable with.

BTW, what kind of car do you prefer to drive as your first car?
Pick-up? Subcompact? Sedan? Hatchback? 4x4? Coupe? Tractor?

And what's your budget?
$20,000 below? $70,000 above?

Bicnarok

Robtard
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
^The two most stolen cars in America.

Easy fix, he could spray-paint "Black Owned" across the side of the car.

ashleyy
You are inexperienced so i think you should go for a second hand car to take some experience.

AsbestosFlaygon
Another suggestion:
You can buy the outgoing model for brand new. Like instead of buying 2011 model, buy the 2010. Most of the time, there are only a few revisions made for one year for a specific model.
Plus, you can get great package options for them.

Dave_97
get a third-generation chevy camaro.

my uncle had one, f*cking loved that car.
it smelled like manly beards..... and canadian beer....
he was a drunk, well, he still is but he no longer has the car.

Dreampanther

AsbestosFlaygon
Any car is good.

But starting off with a subcompact or a used sedan is the way to go for a newbie.
(unless you live in Australia, Dubai, or places with huge open spaces)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.