Judaism: Dead religion?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

long pig
Due to the fact that the true original jewish religion (not the current rabbinical talmudic judaism, which is actually younger than christianity) revolved around temple worship and sacrifice as the source for forgivness of sins, which no longer exists, how can the religion be put into practice? If no sins have been forgiven nearly 2000 years

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by long pig
Due to the fact that the true original jewish religion (not the current rabbinical talmudic judaism, which is actually younger than christianity) revolved around temple worship and sacrifice as the source for forgivness of sins, which no longer exists, how can the religion be put into practice? If no sins have been forgiven nearly 2000 years

Rebuild the temple. As far as forgiving the sins for the last 2000 years, belief can find the way.

ADarksideJedi
I know alof of jews people and I don't see them dieing out at all.

roughrider
It's one religion where numbers are not swelling; numbers are static or falling. And though it's in the world's top ten for practitioners, it's a VERY distant tenth compared to Christianity and Islam, the other faiths that sprang from the same root.
Still, they have a lot of important people in power positions in North America; that keeps them protected.
I would only convert to it if it was to marry the Jewish woman of my dreams; if it meant that much to her.

Speaking of that - how is Leonardo DiCaprio going to marry that Israeli supermodel, and have a property in Israel? (It was a story yesterday on the radio.) Israeli law forbids Jews against marrying non-Jews.

King Kandy
There are some movements in Israel to get this to happen. However, I doubt they'll get too far when the space for the theoretical third temple is right on top of the Dome of the Rock.

Robtard
Originally posted by long pig

Religions change with time, so no, Judaism isn't dead, it's just somewhat different than it was 'X' amount of years ago.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Robtard
Religions change with time, so no, Judaism isn't dead, it's just somewhat different than it was 'X' amount of years ago.

Orthodox would disagree...or agree, depends to whom you speak I guess.

As Judaism, Christianity is very different to what it was however many years ago, and it isn't dead yet. I'd say it evoloved and branched out into tons of weird...erm...segments, if you will.

Robtard
So you agree, it has changed; it isn't "dead" as say the ancient Norse, Greek or Egyptian religions of worshiping multiple gods are effectively not practiced by any large number of people/if any.

Mindship
Judaism isn't dead, anymore than is Islam or Christianity. Indeed it's survived everything that's tried to kill it. But it's "fringes" have changed, adapting, while the core stays generally steady.

inimalist
Ibn Taymiyya might agree, but most religious scholars accept some degree of change in doctrine as time passes

Robtard
Would have to do some researching, but it appears that if religions don't change with the flow of time, they die out.

Conquest probably had a lot to do with it too, I'd assume.

Mindship
By 'core' I meant, eg, the 10 commandments, or the Shema. As time has gone by, further commentary is written and some change in practice does occur. But basically, the 'Conservative', the 'Reform', and expecially the 'Reconstructionist' branches of Judaism represent much more significant levels of change than changes at the Orthodox core (so much change that it's often not acknowledged as Judaism by the Orthodox).

King Kandy
But, Orthodox is something different from what Long Pig is referring to. Orthodox is "talmudic" judaism, which is old (came about the same time the Christian bible was getting finished), but before that there was another sort of judaism, focusing on sacrifice at the second temple. The second temple was destroyed, so that form became impossible to practice, and something quite similar to Orthodox arose.

Liberator
Not in Tottenham at least.

Mindship
Originally posted by King Kandy
But, Orthodox is something different from what Long Pig is referring to. Orthodox is "talmudic" judaism, which is old (came about the same time the Christian bible was getting finished), but before that there was another sort of judaism, focusing on sacrifice at the second temple. The second temple was destroyed, so that form became impossible to practice, and something quite similar to Orthodox arose. Understood. But I think what links that form of Judaism to modern -- its most core tenant, if you will -- is the emphasis on worshipping the 'one true God', as opposed to idol worship. Back in Abraham's day, you didn't even have the term 'Hebrew', let alone 'Jewish'.

Was not sacrifice more a general practice, a 'sign of the times', then a reflection of any one particular religion?

RE: Blaxican
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I know alof of jews people and I don't see them dieing out at all. crylaugh

Originally posted by roughrider
Israeli law forbids Jews against marrying non-Jews. What?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.