How strong are the new gods physically?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

kbclassof09
I have been looking all over the net for scans of new gods showing their physical strength and I have made no progress. However, I visited a few forums that said lightray is strong enough to lift mountains, cities, and strong enough to slam takion into moons and stars. Lightray is physically weaker than new gods such as big barda, orion, and kalibak. Can someone please post scans of the new gods showing their physical strength so I can gauge their strength levels?

Galan007
The physically strongest New Gods are Superman-level.

roughrider
Only a few are in Superman's class. Lightray certainly isn't one of them. He's low level for enhanced strength.

King Castle
Mr. Miracle is sometimes shown as olympic or enhanced but he isnt Superman level either.

-Pr-
Most of them aren't. it's a minority, but a decent one...

Omega Vision
In the physical bodies they use to interact with the DCU they can range from people like Desaad who are exactly as strong as they look (in Desaad's case frail) to people like Orion or Darkseid who are in the same weight class as Superman.

It's really hard to say what the "average" is, because there really isn't one. Most of them though are said to have "New God physiology" which allows for some liberties when portraying their strength, but very few of them (in terms of volume) ever show strength greater than that of say Venom.

kbclassof09
Lightray lifting half of celestial city (though I dnt know if he did it with brute strength or some other means)

http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Desaad/NewGods09-15.jpg

Slams takion through moon at supersonic speeds

http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Desaad/Takion7-13.jpg

Slams takion through the sun at 8x lightspeed

http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Desaad/Takion7-14.jpg

Now I just need scans of him destroying meteors with punches with superman and

resisting a black hole's pull. Anyone with those scans please post them.

roughrider
It looks like Lightray was possessed by someone else, they way he talked in the first scan. He's capable of upping Superman's strength through his powers, but I'm seen him physically outclassed by people like Starfire.

Galan007
Lightray had been driven mad in that instance after the Source was contaminated by Orion's murder of Darkseid:
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/8050/lr1d.jpg

Allankles
Originally posted by roughrider
It looks like Lightray was possessed by someone else, they way he talked in the first scan. He's capable of upping Superman's strength through his powers, but I'm seen him physically outclassed by people like Starfire.

Lightray is a strong and powerful as Orion or any other New Genesian not named Highfather or Takion, he just puts the breaks on his powers.

I also remember back in the Kirby days when he was wrecked by Kalibak h2h to near death, the reason for that was Kalibak was the more skilled warrior.

He restricts himself on average; when he went insane he was unleashing all his power.

EDIT: Lightray is one of the most pacifist gods in the 4th world.

Allankles
Originally posted by Omega Vision
In the physical bodies they use to interact with the DCU they can range from people like Desaad who are exactly as strong as they look (in Desaad's case frail) to people like Orion or Darkseid who are in the same weight class as Superman.

It's really hard to say what the "average" is, because there really isn't one. Most of them though are said to have "New God physiology" which allows for some liberties when portraying their strength, but very few of them (in terms of volume) ever show strength greater than that of say Venom.

Is Desaad as frail as he looks? For example he has shown an ability to morph into a larger form (impersonating his employer). If a human without any special skills or concentrated strength training attacked him, I don't think they'd find him frail.

King Castle
you buy the retro retcon beating of DS at the hands of DD as Desaad being more then he is known for, due that showing who was originally written for DS?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Allankles
Is Desaad as frail as he looks? For example he has shown an ability to morph into a larger form (impersonating his employer). If a human without any special skills or concentrated strength training attacked him, I don't think they'd find him frail.
I never liked the Desaad retcon, it really makes little sense. Even the most embarrassing moments where Desaad is impersonating DS have him well within the Herald Tier. So why then does he generally get physically manhandled by guys like Granny Goodness or Kalibak if he can amp himself to DS-Lite (pun intended embarrasment ) levels?

Juntai
Batman tricked Metron into changing his physiology to that similar to what a human was, and then knocked him out. This leaves the idea that even Metron, the least 'fighty' of the New Gods would be well beyond a human capacity to harm in regular state.

The idea of the gaps between the New Gods, is to show just how powerful the UPPER tiers of them are in combat prowess when compared to the lower ones. Lowliest of New Gods would still be a match for most Earth-based characters. While still being able to get pimped smacked unconscious by the likes of Darkseid. These characters are gods.

This also shows the gap between Superman and his peers, when Supes is the only Earth character that could actually challenge Darkseid.

King Castle
anyone recall how batman escaped torture and usurped Desaads position in the wrong of ages storyline?

Cartesian Doubt
On a scale size - doesn't the New Gods Dimension make planets look like grains of sand ?

I don't think it really matters how Strong they are, its all about their hyper abilities and technology (Which is probably a manifestation of their personal power) in the end.

Juntai
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
On a scale size - doesn't the New Gods Dimension make planets look like grains of sand ?

I don't think it really matters how Strong they are, its all about their hyper abilities and technology (Which is probably a manifestation of their personal power) in the end. Also true.

King Castle
depends in which retcon you are using..

once upon a time the new gods home dimension was on a higher plane of existence where one needed a boom tube to shrink or enlarge themselves to suit the universe..

sadly that hasnt bn used in a few retcons since then since, supes can fly to the new gods dimension that now inhabits the regular DCU at the edge of the universe.

Juntai
Originally posted by King Castle
depends in which retcon you are using..

once upon a time the new gods home dimension was on a higher plane of existence where one needed a boom tube to shrink or enlarge themselves to suit the universe..

sadly that hasnt bn used in a few retcons since then since, supes can fly to the new gods dimension that now inhabits the regular DCU at the edge of the universe. No, it's still on a higher dimension.

Why do you think when Darkseid fell, he cracked the multiverse and started dragging it down with him? lol.

King Castle
hmm.. you are correct, i guess. but that doesnt apply to all the new gods but just him.

also Orion killed his father the 1st time which the started his resurrection the second time around and his fall that didnt occur the 1st time in his original body..

Juntai
hmm.. you are correct, i guess. but that doesnt apply to all the new gods but just him.

also Orion killed his father the 1st time which the started his resurrection the second time around and his fall that didnt occur the 1st time in his original body.. Which issue did they not enter the higher plane by boomtube and just flew there instead?

King Castle
not sure on the issue but the story of the forgotten lantern and the pact made by the guardians and Darksied of non interference showed that apokolypse was on the fridges of known space in a dead sector which was reached by the monitors and then later by an army of guardians when they declared war on DS.

http://www.dcuguide.com/profile.php?name=rakerqarrigat

smokin'

Omega Vision
not sure on the issue but the story of the forgotten lantern and the pact made by the guardians and Darksied of non interference showed that apokolypse was on the fridges of known space in a dead sector which was reached by the monitors and then later by an army of guardians when they declared war on DS.

http://www.dcuguide.com/profile.php?name=rakerqarrigat

smokin'
Well it's entirely possible that a GL Ring could mimic the Boom Tube effect. stick out tongue

King Castle
Well it's entirely possible that a GL Ring could mimic the Boom Tube effect. stick out tongue they all flew there and DS world was showed on a map of the universe. no expression

they reached DS world by simply expanding their sector control by monitors simply flying out and exploring space and landing on inhabited planets, they came upon. wink

Omega Vision
they all flew there and DS world was showed on a map of the universe. no expression

they reached DS world by simply expanding their sector control by monitors simply flying out and exploring space and landing on inhabited planets, they came upon. wink
There are lots of cases where the Fourth World is accessible the old fashioned way, but often times upon arrival the mainstream DC characters find that they appear like mites at best and microbes at worst when compared to the New Gods.

The Raker event is an outlier.

King Castle
There are lots of cases where the Fourth World is accessible the old fashioned way, but often times upon arrival the mainstream DC characters find that they appear like mites at best and microbes at worst when compared to the New Gods.

The Raker event is an outlier. there is another scan where superman flew to new genesis and was same size as the residents flying around the various sites.

i am not convinced that the old depiction is the current established version.

and the DS fall crap was done b/c mr. miracle died whcih some how empowered DS even more so since the concept of freedom had something to do with it. stick out tongue

kbclassof09
Does anyone know if lightray lifted half of celestial city with just his physical strength?

I also need the scans of him resisting a black hole with superman and destroying large meteors with punches.

-Pr-
Well it's entirely possible that a GL Ring could mimic the Boom Tube effect. stick out tongue

If they can move between positive and anti-matter universes at will, i don't see why not...

Cartesian Doubt

sadly that hasnt bn used in a few retcons since then since, supes can fly to the new gods dimension that now inhabits the regular DCU at the edge of the universe.

I think you'll find you're wrong there .... Grant Morison has mafe numerous references to the New Gods being from from a higher Dimension of Reality; both in Final Crisis, Interviews and in recent issues of Batman.

When it comes to decding what is cannon/non cannon, I'm sure you will agree that the interpretation of the most recent, and arguably biggest writer of a New God storyline, would have some authority?

So yes Superman may have been able to fly there by normal means in some previous issue, but I thinks its safe to say this has been re-ocnned. As some one mentioned previously, the entire Final Crisis storyline pre-supposes it.

Cartesian Doubt

Seeing as the Miracle Machine, that controlled the entire emotional spectrum, and quote "made the G.L. ring look like Slide show projector", was a a cargo cult mother box, I seriously doubt it.

Allankles
you buy the retro retcon beating of DS at the hands of DD as Desaad being more then he is known for, due that showing who was originally written for DS?

Leave alone the retcons he was shown transforming on panel in one story.

Allankles
I never liked the Desaad retcon, it really makes little sense. Even the most embarrassing moments where Desaad is impersonating DS have him well within the Herald Tier. So why then does he generally get physically manhandled by guys like Granny Goodness or Kalibak if he can amp himself to DS-Lite (pun intended embarrasment ) levels?

I thought they were primarily DS avatars not Desaad impersonations?

But the morphing I was talking about took place in DC villains IIRC, where DS had left Apokolips and Desaad (on panel) morphs his body to resemble DS to stop a riot from some Hunger Dogs.

Allankles
there is another scan where superman flew to new genesis and was same size as the residents flying around the various sites.

i am not convinced that the old depiction is the current established version.

and the DS fall crap was done b/c mr. miracle died whcih some how empowered DS even more so since the concept of freedom had something to do with it. stick out tongue

I don't think the Superman issue was recent, if it exists at all stick out tongue. In a relatively recent story Supergirl went to Apokolips without a Boomtube and she was the size of an insect in comparison to the New Gods.

NotSoBad
I have another question. Are New Gods self sustained entities ( dont have need for drink ,eat, breath)?

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by NotSoBad
I have another question. Are New Gods self sustained entities ( dont have need for drink ,eat, breath)?

They're the physical manifestation of Ideas - So I doubt it.
Do Ideas need eat/breathe ?

Unless "physical manifestation" means massive restriction ?

NotSoBad
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
They're the physical manifestation of Ideas - So I doubt it.
Do Ideas need eat/breathe ?

Unless "physical manifestation" means massive restriction ?

I mean they physical forms but still thanks for answer smile

kbclassof09
Finally I confirmed that lightray lifted half of celestial city with his physical strength. That should AT LEAST put him in the million ton lifting strength.

markutus
mmmm seeing some scans mister miracle has demostrated superhuman strength when he fighted with big barda and superman also when he had his god powers and finally MM used the equation anti life figting with orion and supermann being so strong

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.