Destroy the Sith We Must: Yoda (ROTS) & Luke Skywalker (NJO) Run a Gauntlet

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

yoda725
The Gauntlet takes place on Felucia at the Mega Sarlaac Pit
15 minutes rest in between
No limitations on Known Force Powers for each Sith

1.) Darth Havoc & Darth Nihl
2.) Darth Stryfe & Darth Wyyrlok III
3.) Darth Talon & Darth Kryat
4.) Vergere & Lumiya
5.) Darth Caedus & Darth Tyrannus (DR)
6) Darth Nihilus & Darth Sion
7.) Darth Bane (DOE) & Darth Zannah (ROT)
8.) Darth Revan & Darth Malak
9.) Darth Sidious (ROTS) & Darth Vader (Pre-Mustafar)

ares834
Clear

Slash_KMC
They make it, unless one of them gets seriously injured or tired out in of the fights.

Nihilus is all powerful and Sion is immortal so they may really tire them out.

Nephthys
Falls at no7 becuase of exhaustion. Plus I think Nihilus could probably kill or injure Yoda.

Zampanó
Bane and Zannah stop 'em.

No way is Yoda dealing with Zannah's gently loving tentacles.

Yoda v. Zannah might be interesting...

Lord Lucien
I see Caedus and Tyrannus being the first hiccup. But clearable.

If Nihilus' giga Drain is more versatile than he lets on, then he'll win. If not the he won't. Sion can be ground up steadily.

DoE Bane is getting older and lacking Orbalisks. But he and Zannah's familiarity should compliment them nicely. I still say they'd die.

Revan and Who?

Vader's not got it in him to beat either Yoda or NJO (I'm assuming TUF) Luke. Same goes for Sidious, who in any other scenario just could lose against Yoda.

They clear it.

ares834

Zampanó
DOE Bane is shit. Same with RoT Zannah. What the hell?

make it RoT Bane and DOE Zannah or I walk.

Lord Lucien

truejedi
clear it.

Zampanó
Potential match ups include:
Bane Vs. Yoda
Zannah vs. Luke

and
Bane vs Luke
Zannah vs. Yoda
(For argument's sake, as per the rules of the forum, I'll be considering the peaks of these characters: RoT Bane and DoE Zannah.)

In each case, the individuals' specific fighting styles will prove decisive. Moreover, their relative level of experience and general approach to combat will greatly influence the outcome of the battle. However, I feel that one of the matchups is significantly more likely than the other.

The first matchup, in which Yoda confronts Bane and leaves Luke to take care of Zannah, offers a few advantages to the Jedi. Luke is, at this point, capable of immensely powerful applications of the Force. More importantly, he has the battlefield awareness and tactical ability (thanks Mara!) to overcome Zannah's attempts to prolong the fight. Moreover, Luke is far less experienced than Yoda and the pair's first instinct may be to split along the lines of experience, master against master and student against sithspawn.

The above configuration puts Luke in position to succeed at the expense of Master Yoda's life. Yoda faces a unique disadvantage when fighting Darth Bane because, well, Bane is huge. When combined with the Orbalisks, this means that Yoda's already exhausting form will have to cover even more distance simply to launch a successful attack. This difficulty is compounded because Bane is at least as fast as is Yoda, and considerably stronger physically. Given Bane's tendency to mix Force attacks with his saber play, and Yoda's demonstrated inability to deal with both theaters of combat at once (see AotC and EpIII) there is a very small chance that Luke will arrive in time to provide the doubleteam necessary to take the win.

More likely, I think, would be to divide tasks on the basis of height. Yoda must fight an opponent he can reach, and one whose strength is not a game-changer. This requires Luke to confront the behemoth. Yoda's age remains a handicap; Zannah's tendency to prolong fights interspersed with Sith Sorcery again put Yoda onto uncertain terrain. Yoda must finish Zannah quickly, something that even an enraged Bane (under the influence of Orbalisks) could not do. Luke, then, must match Bane blade to blade consistently enough to keep the Sith from doubleteaming Yoda (as is their general strategy, according to Zannah's musings in RoT). This limits Luke's leeway in battlefield theatrics. Guerrilla tactics like those Mara used against Caedus are not a valid option.

Given these constraints, Luke and Yoda are clearly hard pressed in either situation. Since the Jedi ideal of humility seems to preclude Yoda from attacking the man mountain of Bane, the above factors suggest a fight between Luke and Bane and Zannah against Yoda.

Zannah v Yoda on even ground likely leads to a dead Zannah. Yoda gets that much credit. What is worrisome is how long it would take. Zannah does a very good job with her Soresu. In fact, her entire style probes for weaknesses over a longer style of match than Yoda can handle. Zannah uses roundabout tactics like mental attacks (via Sorcerry) that could fatally impair Yoda, especially given the added pandemonium of a Luke/Bane clash. This is dragging on, so I'll cut this short. Zannah 6/10 in this matchup.

Luke v Bane deals mostly with the problems listed above. Luke must keep Bane's attention, and so must confront Bane on Bane's terms. Those terms incorporate a paradigm that Luke is very unfamiliar with. Force attacks as powerful as any seen in the mythos are interspersed with combat at least as technically skilled as Luke's own. When factoring in the powerful advantage of the orbalisks, I don't think Luke can take Bane out in time to save Yoda, so that means Yoda's ratio is unchanged. However, Yoda may come to help Luke.

Luke v Bane 6/10
Luke v Bane 9/10
Luke v Bane 2/10

I'm writing on very little sleep, but this caught my interest. I'd be happy to respond again Friday.

Slash_KMC
Didn't you make a goodbye post?

Nephthys
Personally I would say that DOE Bane is quite alot more skilled than ROT. The scene where he stops every raindrop from hitting his body for however long (10 mins? 1 hour?) is insanely skillful and shows that hes very good at precision, which'll be very helpful against, say, Yoda.

mattatom
Originally posted by Nephthys
Personally I would say that DOE Bane is quite alot more skilled than ROT. The scene where he stops every raindrop from hitting his body for however long (10 mins? 1 hour?) is insanely skillful and shows that hes very good at precision, which'll be very helpful against, say, Yoda.

As the first fat drops splattered onto the patio stones around him, Bane exploded into action. Abandoning the overpowering style of Djem So, he shifted to the quicker sequences of Soresu, his lightsaber tracing tight circles above his head in a series of movements designed to intercept enemy blaster bolts.

The wind rose to a howling gale, and the scattered drops quickly became a downpour. His body and mind united as one, he channeled the infinite power of the Force against the driving rain. Tiny clouds of hissing steam formed as his blade picked off the descending drops while Bane twisted, twirled, and contorted his body to evade those few that managed to slip through his defenses.

For the next ten minutes he battled the pelting storm, reveling in the power of the dark side. And then, as suddenly as it had begun, the tempest was gone, the dark cloud scurrying away on the breeze. Breathing hard, Bane extinguished his lightsaber. His skin was sheened in sweat, but not a single drop of rain had touched his bare flesh.

So yes, you were right, ten minutes.

truejedi
against luke? he is toast. rot bane is bette, simplybecause of the impenatrable armor.

Zampanó
Originally posted by Slash_KMC
Didn't you make a goodbye post?
that was me in apprehension mode.

the above was me in "anything but study chemistry again" mode

this is me in "shut the hell up, gaylord" mode.

shut the hell up, gaylord

truejedi
we all make farwell posts. it was the cool thing to do for a while.

Lord Lucien
I didn't. But that's only because I'm not a conformist.

truejedi
geez, just realized I had my 5 year KMC anniversary 2 weeks ago...

Master Han

Nephthys
Even if he is faster, which he isn't, Yoda can't beat Orbalisk Bane in a lightsaber duel. Because of his size, it'll be nigh-impossible for him to land a hit on the only exposed part of Bane, his head, which is simply an insurmountable advantage for Bane. Saying it works both ways is hilariously wrong, since Bane won't ever have to worry about being able to predict Yoda's attacks while he'll be able to attack him with impunity.

Master Han
Even if he is faster, which he isn't, Yoda can't beat Orbalisk Bane in a lightsaber duel. Because of his size, it'll be nigh-impossible for him to land a hit on the only exposed part of Bane, his head, which is simply an insurmountable advantage for Bane. Saying it works both ways is hilariously wrong, since Bane won't ever have to worry about being able to predict Yoda's attacks while he'll be able to attack him with impunity.

Aren't Bane's wrists also exposed though?

And charging at/over the enemy's head is a common tactic Yoda employs - watch his battles with Dooku and Sidious, both who are startled when Yoda leaps past them.

The_Tempest
lol @ Yoda not being able to land a hit on Bane's head.

pencilcrayon
Isn't Cognus able to somewhat/barely see Bane/Zannah's movements despite being untrained and has no speed yet?

Nephthys
She has speed.

Originally posted by Master Han
Aren't Bane's wrists also exposed though?

And charging at/over the enemy's head is a common tactic Yoda employs - watch his battles with Dooku and Sidious, both who are startled when Yoda leaps past them.

Those are an even smaller target and are constantly moving around, plus even if he hits them they regenerate.

Bane is good 2 meters tall and built like a brick shithouse plus covered in armor, its gonna be hard for Yoda to attack his head. The fact is that its simply not going to be possible for Yoda to get past Bane guard and hit such a hard to hit target, while in midair when his speed is largely obsolete. Bane will easily be able to see Yoda coming in the time it takes for him to jump up and attack.

Also remember that Yoda doesn't have any platforms he can stand on for added height or walls to jump off of here.

Originally posted by The_Tempest
lol @ Yoda not being able to land a hit on Bane's head.

Its a massive advantage. The only place Yoda can hit is the hardest place to hit and he's too short to get to it without jumping. Yoda needs to hit his head and the only way he can do so is by jumping at him, making it childsplay for Bane to defend against him. And the extremely tiring nature of his style will wear on him when he has to work just to get into a position where he can attempt to attack Bane. Meanwhile Bane can devote everything to attacking Yoda.

As I said, its an insurmountable advantage.

Master Han
Those are an even smaller target and are constantly moving around, plus even if he hits them they regenerate.

???

LOL jumping 2 meters isn't a big deal, watch TPM.

Except he's never fought anyone of Yoda's stature before. wink And Bane doesn't do well against unfamiliar fighting styles.

Also, note the battlefield location: Yoda could Force push Bane into the pit.

Nephthys
???

LOL jumping 2 meters isn't a big deal, watch TPM.

Except he's never fought anyone of Yoda's stature before. wink And Bane doesn't do well against unfamiliar fighting styles.

Also, note the battlefield location: Yoda could Force push Bane into the pit.

The Orbalisks give him almost instant regeneration on top of their other advantages. wink

No u.

In PoD. Note that he has no trouble fighting a dual wielder in RoT. Besides, he struggles against Kas'im because 'His mind was flooded with a million options of what his opponent might attempt, and he had no experience to draw on to eliminate any of them.' Yoda will attack his head. Every time. no expression

I'm only talking lightsaber duel.

Master Han
The Orbalisks give him almost instant regeneration on top of their other advantages. wink

Like regenerating his hands after they're cut off? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Not that it would happen quickly enough, since at that point Bane would be entirely defenseless.

No, seriously. Jumping 2 meters is cake for Jedi.

He actually struggles quite a bit against said dual wielder...

Too bad.

ROTJ Vader
Clears.

Master Han
...actually, the mere 15 minutes rest mark suggests they might struggle to pass 5.

But they still clear.

ares834
Ironically, in RoT one of the Jedi actually hits Bane's wrist. But like Neph said it almost instantly regenerated.

Master Han
Well, I don't think "hits" necessarily means "cuts off", and Bane's still going to be momentarily unable to defend his...say, head.

Nephthys
He can block with his whole body because of the orbalisks, so no, he can still defend. Also, he can just dodge like he did against Raskta.

ares834
Well, I don't think "hits" necessarily means "cuts off", and Bane's still going to be momentarily unable to defend his...say, head.

I'm actually unsure if his whole wrist was exposed. I always assumed part of it was protected which is why his hand wasn't cut off in that section. But maybe it is possible to do so.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.