The Quest To Become A Black Belt (B J J)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

StarCraft2
My 10 year journey to get a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu has begun.
I just realized that wrestling is not enough to win. Combining BJJ+Wrestling FTW!!

BJJ is the most intimate MA I ever practice because I had to put my face near opponents crotch or put my crotch near opponent's face just to gain leverage and hyperextend their joints.

JacopeX
Ugh! I hate grappling styles.

My weakness in a fight. Chances for the other to take me down is 70%.

StarCraft2
I do it so that I can get out of the submission and do what I do best. GNP!

Everytime I wake up, my left elbow and my neck hurts due to repeated armbars and guillotine chokes. I need to learn BJJ to get out of those positions

King Castle
your mispelled BJJ it should be BJ Champion, Champion is spelled with a "C" not "J"

StarCraft2
waiting to get the BJ(blowjob) joke in this thread and we got a winner

Rogue Jedi

long pig
Why would you want to waste ten years getting a black belt in such a weak ass overrated martial art? If you want a truely devestating grappling system, learn to wrestle. American wrestling is superior to every grappling system there is. In fact, it's the greatest H2h Martial Art ever created. Only greek-roman wrestling can hold a candle to it. A good wrestler with a couple weeks of bjj will destroy a lifetime bjj black belt 100% of the time. Lay and pray passive bullshit.

Rogue Jedi
Beretta 9mm.

dadudemon
Originally posted by long pig
Why would you want to waste ten years getting a black belt in such a weak ass overrated martial art? If you want a truely devestating grappling system, learn to wrestle. American wrestling is superior to every grappling system there is. In fact, it's the greatest H2h Martial Art ever created. Only greek-roman wrestling can hold a candle to it. A good wrestler with a couple weeks of bjj will destroy a lifetime bjj black belt 100% of the time. Lay and pray passive bullshit.

I disagree with everything you have stated. Seriously. Every last point you made, I disagree with.

Also, you can't DO BJJ moves in American wrestling (the kind that break bones). That's a nice and fast way to get banned from wrestling (NCAA or Olympic wrestling.)

Bardock42
Originally posted by StarCraft2
I just realized that wrestling is not enough to win. Combining BJJ+Wrestling FTW!!

BJJ is the most intimate MA I ever practice because I had to put my face near opponents crotch or put my crotch near opponent's face just to gain leverage and hyperextend their joints.

How can you know in advance how long it will take to get a black belt in BJJ. Or is this one of the schools where having a black belt doesn't mean anything and you just get belts after a specific time?

Anyways, BJJ seems like a good martial art really.

Originally posted by JacopeX
Ugh! I hate grappling styles.

My weakness in a fight. Chances for the other to take me down is 70%.

lol

StarCraft2
I am a wrestler. But hyperextending joints using various armbars or wrist locks are alien to me. I fight with greco-roman style + thai clinch. I'm just adding BJJ to it so that I have better survival rate during ground raping.(BJJ+Greco-Roman+MuayThai=WIN MMA Fights)

Fastest person getting a black belt BJJ is BJ Penn (gets blackbelt by 4 years and first american to win BJJ championship and former Light weight UFC fighter 150ish lbs)
http://www.fightpassport.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/bj-penn.jpg
http://www.e-hawaii.com/wp-content/gallery/bj-penn-gallery/bj-penn.jpg

. .Originally posted by Bardock42
How can you know in advance how long it will take to get a black belt in BJJ. Or is this one of the schools where having a black belt doesn't mean anything and you just get belts after a specific time?

Anyways, BJJ seems like a good martial art really.

BJJ gives u a belt by skill not by time. I can be a white belt for 10 years But I rather not stay white belt
Average person MASTERS various moves by 10 years. some take 12 years to get to black belt.

Mairuzu
http://topcultured.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/karate_thumb.jpg

Bardock42
Originally posted by Mairuzu
http://topcultured.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/karate_thumb.jpg

Ahahahah

The Nuul
I have a few blackbelts.

King Castle
american wrestling depending on your coach and training can and do introduce various grappling and fighting styles from various grappling arts.

my couch taught us some basic Jujitsu, Judo techniques to compliment our fighting style.

some of the techniques we learned were on the verge of cheating but mostly to induce pain and have ppl tap out. so, yes. American Wrestling can and probably teach some brazilian moves doesnt mean you'll get banned for using one unless your intend is to break the bones and not slowly apply steady pressure or make it an obvious move that the ref can see.

i was taught to use the chicken wing and cover up the move with my body so the ref could not see it. shifty

anyways....... its all about: American Wrestling, Jujitsu and military Grappling..

Akainu
What is military grapling?

King Castle
Originally posted by Akainu
What is military grapling? mix of various MA. specifically the most effective techniques to incapacitate, hyper extend and break joints and apply pain.

some of the moves i recognized were TKD black belt joint breaking, Jujitsu/brazilian leg/arm locks, also some kungfu/karate hand, wrist breaks.. also blood and air chokes and killing single strikes, boxing, kicking is also included. plus basic wrestling moves as well.

its just a mishmash of arts but without the actual progressive training to teach self control of slow steady pressure.

imagine being a white belt and taught black belt moves but they dont specify the how to slowly or properly do it and they throw you in with a big dude, usually ppl get hurt.

saw a kid get his femur snapped.. i sprained my ankle a lot of ppl get hyper extension, injuries.

its called mcmap, it gets progressively difficult as you increase in belt plus also depends on your instructors.

mikeydude
Originally posted by Akainu
What is military grapling?
I know in the marines. they teach them military grapling, (I.E) BJ.
its cool though,

King Castle
here to give you an idea.

fOunJJm-0vc

k0SB5xlxJIU&feature=related

Robtard
Throw in some Pankration and Sambo, even though there are moves that would get you disqualified in most pussy-ass MMA tournaments of today; you'll be fine, don't need to spend 10 years on BJJ. You'll be washed up by then.

Matt Hughes wrecked Royce Gracie, despite Royce being the BJJ guy.

King Castle
most of the guys in the ring nowadays and b4 dont have the constitution/stamina to undergo full combat training. i see most of them getting kicked out on a mountain spartan ridge run falling out..

to me they are P#$$ie$... all muscle/size no real heart, durability or stamina, speed...

i would love to see them randomly thrown in and survive 2 weeks of intensive MCmap Training with an @$$hole instructor.

Robtard
You and the Marine Core.

King Castle
eat the apple f$#$ the core...

i just recognize the difference of the purpose of the actual training

Bardock42
Originally posted by King Castle
most of the guys in the ring nowadays and b4 dont have the constitution/stamina to undergo full combat training. i see most of them getting kicked out on a mountain spartan ridge run falling out..

to me they are P#$$ie$... all muscle/size no real heart, durability or stamina, speed...

i would love to see them randomly thrown in and survive 2 weeks of intensive MCmap Training with an @$$hole instructor.

What evidence do you have to substantiate that claim?

King Castle
what evidence to you have to say otherwise?

i taken into account the lack of acclimation which would not be granted... heats, clothing, combat gear, boots.. about 3 to 5 miles running at a steady incline. plus, the added weight that they put on for their training would effect them adversely in the situation due to impact on the knees and ankles.

plus, i seen the muscle bound idiot marines fail consistently due to their stupid MMA training mostly due to added weight hell some are mostly muscle that they are unable to cross a pool in gear.

its just different training styles we trained overall not one specific attribute of size and muscle.

also there is a certain unspoken standard of whic marines can do mcmap from rank, belt colr to fitness and on top of that there a large drop off due to set standards.

most marines train to prep themselves up so as not to get kicked from training prior to voluntaring.

Bardock42
what evidence to you have to say otherwise?

i taken into account the lack of acclimation which would not be granted... heats, clothing, combat gear, boots.. about 3 to 5 miles running at a steady incline. plus, the added weight that they put on for their training would effect them adversely in the situation due to impact on the knees and ankles.

plus, i seen the muscle bound idiots fail consistently due to their stupid MMA training mostly due to added weight hell some are mostly muscle that they are unable to cross a pool in gear.

its just different training styles we trained overall not one specific attribute of size and muscle.

So but you don't know if successful, professional MMA fighters actually would be bad at the Marine training?

Akainu
here to give you an idea.

fOunJJm-0vc

k0SB5xlxJIU&feature=related

Looked pretty fun. If it wasn't for the whole "war" thing i might have signed up for the army.

My brother is a captain, he was really dissapointed when i said i didn't want to.

Robtard
I'd be more worried about the rape issue than going off to war.

Statistically, you have a higher chance of being raped in the Military (esp. Marines and Navy) than you do in prison.

King Castle
Originally posted by Bardock42
So but you don't know if successful, professional MMA fighters actually would be bad at the Marine training? i dont see them having the endurance in their initial training, they would have to start them slow with white belt training(Tan).. although i do see them breaking some boot marines by accident during grappling sessions but that is b/c one is not trying to kill or maim or even knows how while the MMA might think he needs to try a lot harder.

like i said the support combat endurance training is where they would suffer adversely, although they would beat some boot marines. but, if you put a MMA in a green and black belt instructor program i see them get kicked out the 1st 3 to 5 days due to not being overall fit..

we have standards and being strong and big is not enough.. you gotta have will/heart, endurance, speed, text book knowledge/names of moves and perform them to your instructors satisfactions after bring run to the dirt and having to fight multiple opponents and an obstacle course some of it requiring training from other military programs that would not be taught to you in mcmap.
cool

having too much muscle density can be bad, i know 1st hand it sucked trying to tread water and swim when i was nothing but muscle and almost no fat and i was trained to swim and tread yrs prior b4 i started to muscle up and trim down.
cool

mikeydude
Poop.

Insomniatric
Originally posted by long pig

What happened when Chael Sonnen (amazing wrestler) went up against Demian Maia (amazing BJJ practitioner)? Sonnen was taken down and submitted promptly. Or when a juiced up Chael Sonnen fought a broken ribbed Anderson Silva? Sure Sonnen was winning, but even though he was on steroids and Silva's ribs were broken going into the fight, Sonnen was STILL submitted.

I don't see where you get that wrestling>bjj.

IMO, a combination of the 2 is the best way to go in MMA. But also IMO, a top level BJJ guy beats a top wrestler 8/10 times.

And this is sort of off topic, but I also believe that as far as striking goes in MMA, the two best styles to train in are Boxing and Muay Thai (a combination of the two).

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in there. I'm done now.

StarCraft2
Royce Gracie vs Dan Severn
Master BJJ vs Master GrecoRoman
BJJ Royce won and Dan Severn Wrestler guy lost

DarkC
I have very good guillotine and pentagram chokes...the other subs, not so much.

Rogue Jedi
I choked my chicken earlier.

mikeydude
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
I choked my chicken earlier.

lolololololololololololoollolololololololololololo
llolololololololololololololololololololollolololo
lololololololololololololololololololololololololo
lolololololololololololololoollolololololololololo
lolollolololololololololololololololololololollolo
lolololololololololololololololoollolololololololo
lolololollolololololololololololololololololololol
lolololololololololololololololololoollolololololo
lolololololollolololololololololololololololololol
olollololololololololololololololololololololololo
lolololololololololololololololololololoollolololo
lolololololololollolololololololololololololololol
olololollololololololololololololololololololololo
lolololololololololololololololololololololoollolo
lolololololololololollolololololololololololololol
olololololollololololololololololololololololololo
lolololololololololololololololololololololololool
lolololololololololololollolololololololololololol
olololololololollololololololololololololololololo
loollolololololololololololollolololololololololol
olololololololololollololololololololololololololo
lololoollolololololololololololollolololololololol
olololololololololololollololololololololololololo
lololololoollolololololololololololollolololololol
olololololololololololololollololololololololololo
lolololololololololololololololololololol.

haha.

Rogue Jedi
AhahahahaahahahahahaaAhahahahahahahahahahahaaAhaha
hahaahahahahahaaAhahahahahahahahahahahaaAhahahahaa
hahahahahaaAhahahahahahahahahahahaaAhahahahaahahah
ahahaaAhahahahahahahahahahahaaAhahahahaahahahahaha
aAhahahahahahahahahahahaa

mikeydude
yeahhhhh.

Rogue Jedi
Hell yeah.

mikeydude
mmmhmmm Nikkuh.

StarCraft2
I get cramps like crazy. my foot cramps up my hips cramps up my back of the thighs cramps up.

Banana Milk and Vitamin Water + Stretch before grappling.

I dont cramp up during wrestling and kickboxing. BJJ stretch and leg muscles like crazy.

Robtard
That's your body telling you you're old.

Rogue Jedi
But his mind, his miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind is telling him yes. And no, it's not his body telling him he's old. It's his body telling him he's out of shape.

Robtard
STFU, old man.

Rogue Jedi
Right back atcha, codjer.

Robtard
Honkey, please. I can still lift 90-95% of my own weight above my head.

Rogue Jedi
You must weigh 125 pounds.

Robtard
Hahahaa; you must be thinking of the weight of your right ass-cheek.

170-175, chief.

Rogue Jedi
I can lift that over my head in my sleep, babe.

Robtard
Na.

Rogue Jedi
Uh, yeah. I'd break you like a twig.

Robtard
Uh, yeah. I'd break you like a twig.

Na. I'd just kick you between your saggy nuts; follow it with a head-butt to the bridge of your nose; that'd be the end of it.

Kaibs
Originally posted by Robtard
Hahahaa; you must be thinking of the weight of your right ass-cheek.

170-175, chief.

Hilarious.

Rogue Jedi
Na. I'd just kick you between your saggy nuts; follow it with a head-butt to the bridge of your nose; that'd be the end of it. K. But you'd still ruv me, yes?

StarCraft2
I intensified my training. My Schedule/Training Per Day except Sunday.

45 minutes kickbox + 15 minutes Sparring under Kickboxing Rules

2 hours and 30 minutes Brazilian Jiu Jitsu + 30 minutes Sparring Grappling under BJJ rules

30 Minutes Wrestling + 30 Minutes Sparring Under MMA rules.

I take Ibuprofen + Banana + Gatorade for breakfast and QHS every night before sleep. to negate pain 24hrs

This may not be military style training but its how most fighters both amateur and pros train at the gym.

mikeydude
Right back atcha, codjer. Originally posted by Robtard
Honkey, please. I can still lift 90-95% of my own weight above my head. Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
You must weigh 125 pounds. Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
I can lift that over my head in my sleep, babe. Originally posted by Robtard
Na. Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Uh, yeah. I'd break you like a twig. Originally posted by Robtard
Na. I'd just kick you between your saggy nuts; follow it with a head-butt to the bridge of your nose; that'd be the end of it.
My left Nut will beat the both of you.
and thats the Weaker one...

Bardock42
Lol, look at the oldies. Like you guys can even lift your canes.

mikeydude
Ahahaha.

Rogue Jedi
The older the bull.

mikeydude
psh.

Robtard
Originally posted by Bardock42
Lol, look at the oldies. Like you guys can even lift your canes.

I'll lift my cane right into your mouth and you'll love it.

Mindset
Originally posted by Insomniatric

But also IMO, a top level BJJ guy beats a top wrestler 8/10 times.

They don't.

Btw, look at Sonnen's record for getting submitted, he's not the best example to use.

Rogue Jedi
I'll lift my cane right into your mouth and you'll love it. Aha, I knew it.

StarCraft2
3 hours of BJJ everyday. and 1 hour of kickboxing and 1 hour of wrestling.. (breaks/lunch/dinner in between hours and going to work)

ZOMG! I PRACTIS MMA AND I AM AN INTERNET BADAZZ!! AND I BRAGZ ABOUT IT ALL DAY EVERYDAYZ!!!

Rogue Jedi
Yeah, with a shit record. Doooooooooooooooooooh.

dadudemon
3 hours of BJJ everyday. and 1 hour of kickboxing and 1 hour of wrestling.. (breaks/lunch/dinner in between hours and going to work)

ZOMG! I PRACTIS MMA AND I AM AN INTERNET BADAZZ!! AND I BRAGZ ABOUT IT ALL DAY EVERYDAYZ!!!

laughing laughing laughing

Robtard

Truth be told, Robtard is the biggest bad-ass in these parts. Once while at the zoo, he jumped the barrier into the gorilla exhibit and choked out a 480lbs Silverback. /truth

Rogue Jedi
Truth be told, Robtard is the biggest bad-ass in these parts. Once while at the zoo, he jumped the barrier into the gorilla exhibit and got ass raped by a 480lbs Silverback. /truth You don't say?

Robtard
I like to jizz over Harry Potter books

I knew that already.

Rogue Jedi
Ah, I see.

StarCraft2
I like Rogue Jedi's comment on the other thread... It made me get pissed off at first. http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/That_Makes_Me_Angry.jpg

Now that I came back for it, and read it again the comment made me lulz
http://jenden.us/storage/JD/img/for_teh_lulz.jpeg

I wonder when this whole "ZOMG I TAKE MMA I'M A BADASS" fad will die out? Starcraft is kind of an exception to the rule, I'm talking about others.

StarCraft2
with a shit record cuz of bad habits.

Dropping my hands down on striking game
going into fetal position after being taken down

I lulz at myself at times.

Rogue Jedi
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv341/jedibeastie2/3385236178_b4e56984d5_o.jpg

StarCraft2
http://compucentro.info/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/tim-curry-eso.jpg

Rogue Jedi
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv341/jedibeastie2/3385236178_b4e56984d5_o.jpg

StarCraft2

Rogue Jedi

StarCraft2

Rogue Jedi
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv341/jedibeastie2/vida-guerra_9.jpg

The Nuul
I went to Moores not too long ago and bought some black belts.

StarCraft2
http://srxavi.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/combo-breaker-2.jpg

Rogue Jedi
KC and starcraft mixin' it up:

ebe10so0tTU

King Castle
this would be RJ

HPPj6viIBmU

this is him remastered.

3GJOVPjhXMY&feature=related

Rogue Jedi
haermm

King Castle
it was suppose to be an insult but the second one kinda has me thinking it was more of a compliment

Rogue Jedi
Nah, it was neither. Nor was mine. SW kid never gets old though haermm

King Castle
do you recall a cartoon character villain who didnt talk and was an obsessed star wars fan?

i think it may have bn in a kim impossible storyline.

he was able to jump into tv shows iirc

Rogue Jedi
Nope.

dadudemon

3GJOVPjhXMY&feature=related

That vid is actually pretty dang cool. I want someone to special effects me being stupid, too! sad

That would be really really really fun.

Kaibs
do you recall a cartoon character villain who didnt talk and was an obsessed star wars fan?

i think it may have bn in a kim impossible storyline.

he was able to jump into tv shows iirc

Definitely wasn't Kim Possible.

Insomniatric
Originally posted by Mindset
They don't.

Btw, look at Sonnen's record for getting submitted, he's not the best example to use.

That's your opinion man, and mine is that BJJ is a more complete and more effective martial art than wrestling.

Look at somebody like Brock Lesnar, who is a world class wrestler, and the first time he fought Frank Mir, ALL he knew was wrestling, and he was submitted.

But I'm done talking about this. Let's just agree to disagree.

Rogue Jedi
Aahahaha BJ.

StarCraft2
i somewhat disagree bjj as more complete than wrestling..
bjj does not allow slamming someone to the ground
wrestling allows slams and throws.

thats why combining wrestling and bjj together makes a person much more deadlier on the ground

EDIT: cant come to BJJ class today. I have to wash my Gi which stinks like BO and Rotten ass

Rogue Jedi
I bought a new belt today. It's black.

StarCraft2
this is just my reference of the moves just learned. so dont reply. I am still trying to remember these escapes. If I can remember it/visualize it and teach it, i and train my muscle memory to learn it. then i mastered that certain move.

halfguard, push to quarterguard, grab back of the leg with cable grip and push hips and pull arms. escape or take enemy's back

radar. on back side control. turn to opponent. pull lowest leg in and turn into full guard, then open guard, grab with judo grip and tricep knee to opponent stomach.pull oponent with judo grip and tricep grip at same time scissor kick to flip enemy out. Get full mount. (transition to an armbar)

head control. thai clinch turn into front headlock. sprawl out and turn away from headlock. (both me and opponent are supine) get to side and push enemy arm in towards head for submission.

Robtard
You're going about it the wrong way, forms are limiting and they'll limit your potential, you have to be like water.

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

Rogue Jedi
AIR.

StarCraft2
FIRE

Rogue Jedi
bewbz.

dadudemon
EDIT: cant come to BJJ class today. I have to wash my Gi which stinks like BO and Rotten ass

Stop pooping in your Gi's, dude. no expression

Rogue Jedi
I'm a bewb bender.

dadudemon
I'm a bewb bender.

I'm a fart bender.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by dadudemon
I'm a fart bender. +1.

Sappho

if you already know wrestling, then thats a good idea. a great wrestler who knows exactly how to counter bjj, or who can throw submissions of his own, will completely DOMINATE fights. but remember, keep working on that wrestling. bjj is good to know and learn, but wrestling wins championships.

gsp, brock lesnar, cain velasquez, shane carwin, all great fighters, all wrestlers.
Originally posted by Insomniatric
What happened when Chael Sonnen (amazing wrestler) went up against Demian Maia (amazing BJJ practitioner)? Sonnen was taken down and submitted promptly. Or when a juiced up Chael Sonnen fought a broken ribbed Anderson Silva? Sure Sonnen was winning, but even though he was on steroids and Silva's ribs were broken going into the fight, Sonnen was STILL submitted.

I don't see where you get that wrestling>bjj.

IMO, a combination of the 2 is the best way to go in MMA. But also IMO, a top level BJJ guy beats a top wrestler 8/10 times.

And this is sort of off topic, but I also believe that as far as striking goes in MMA, the two best styles to train in are Boxing and Muay Thai (a combination of the two).

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in there. I'm done now.
no, wrestling is much more dominant.

StarCraft2
With my BJJ+Wrestling, I escape alot of armbars chokes and full mounts to a striking stance.

StarCraft2
I am baffled. Trying to escape armbar but turns to triangle. then escaping triangle becomes an armbar. Its the greatest mystery of all grappling.

please wear a cup because I dont wanna feel your penis and your balls while escaping arbar/triangle

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.