Is quality subjective?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

I am a sock
I was pondering this and my friends and I often argue quite vehemently about this issue but is quality subjective? Or is it not subjective?

Regarding films, video games, music, etc.

I always argue that quality is not subjective and they argue that it is. I feel that some music, films and games (or other things in general, such as vehicles or sports) are better than others and that it is not a matter of opinion or taste.

Thoughts?

jaden101
Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?

Symmetric Chaos
All truths are objective.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

You say so little, yet so much.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bardock42
You say so little, yet so much.

hmm True.

Bicnarok
Yep, what good quality toilets is to someone from Morroco for example, is different than from someone from say London. Whether this is caused by priorities is the question in the area, but the difference in quality is VERY aparant as anyone who has been to Morroco can tell you.

But does it matter, to some yes to others no. After all its just for taking a dump.

Mindship
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Yep, what good quality toilets is to someone from Morroco for example, is different than from someone from say London. Whether this is caused by priorities is the question in the area, but the difference in quality is VERY aparant as anyone who has been to Morroco can tell you.

But does it matter, to some yes to others no. After all its just for taking a dump. Supposedly, this is for good-quality dumping...

http://www.toilet-related-ailments.com/valsalva-maneuver.html

Liberator
Originally posted by Bicnarok

But does it matter, to some yes to others no. After all its just for taking a dump.

skekUng

I'm not sure I agree with "all".

King Kandy
Originally posted by skekUng
I'm not sure I agree with "all".
What would be an example of a subjective truth?

dadudemon
Originally posted by King Kandy

Are you asking for one to see if he knows or do you not know yourself?

If so, a google search could net you lots of information for what you're looking for. If I've ruined a point of yours, I apologize, I was just trying to be helpful.

Lord Lucien
You didn't exactly answer his question...

skekUng

A person's religion.

zoeyy
[
well ignore ur mates u are who you areyou watch what u watch u play what u play
omg i sound like im madddd anywaybignore them everyone is different i am not may people watch ncis so what

zoeyy
i dont even now what they are on about

Dave_97
Originally posted by Bardock42
You say so little, yet so much. it has been said that he once shook hands with god at the edge of the universe.

A person's religion. people have the right to choose which ever religion benefits them best.
and picking out what is best for you, is all a matter of opinion.

granted, there are the cases of people forcing their kids or friends or everybody else on the planet into religion *cough*christianity*cough*
but with current times, more and more people are looking into other religions to see what is right for them.

on a related note: Waterworld is the greatest film of all time. stick out tongue

skekUng
Originally posted by Dave_97
people have the right to choose which ever religion benefits them best.

granted, there are the cases of people forcing their kids or friends or everybody else on the planet into religion *cough*christianity*cough*
but with current times, more and more people are looking into other religions to see what is right for them.

But, since they can't all be right, they are subjective. However, that doesn't stop people from considering them absolute.

King Kandy
A person's religion.
How can you know if they are true?

All truths are objective. Luckily aesthetic judgements have no truth value.

@OP

Quality is subjective. People will often refer to structural complexity in some work, which is somewhat more objective, as quality though. This is the basis for claims like "regardless of personal preferences, classic music is qualitativelly superior to punk rock".

jinXed by JaNx
Nah, quality isn't subjective. Coca-Cola is better than Faygo and Oreos are better than Hydrox.

Bicnarok
Originally posted by Dave_97

people have the right to choose which ever religion benefits them best.

on a related note: Waterworld is the greatest film of all time. stick out tongue

Which opens this can of worms:- are facts more important than dillusional beliefs, even if those beliefs inspire someone, or allow them to lead a happier life.

I liked waterworld as well by the waysmile

skekUng
How can you know if they are true?

How can they? In fact, how can one think theirs is absolute when another might be so certain about their own? Thus, it becomes subjective.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.