Engineered Famine: What Stalin did for pure hate, Wall Street does for profit

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Jello
Between 1932-1933, the USSR engineered the Holodomor, a peace time famine in Ukraine that resulted in the death of up to 10 million people as a deliberate act of genocide.

In 2007, major financial firms colluded and conspired to invest in corn all over the world. This doesn't mean actual corn, this means the actual right to produce corn (the same way that investing in oil isn't buying up oil, it's buying up development rights). Why? As a result, companies all over the world began to panic and buy up more shares resulting in a mass increase in food prices, famine, riots, etc. At the peak, the Wall Street firms sold off their shares for a massive profit leading to a massive drop in prices, lost jobs, lost savings etc. The bastards then blamed the famine on biofuel production during the gas crisis they themselves engineered in a similar fashion the next year, driving up the price of oil even further. Now there's rumbling that they're planning a repeat performance with corn again.

The basic plan is this. Pick a vital commodity. Collude with other firms to convince investors to buy up shares in the commodity en mass until you corner a significant chuck of the market. This forces panic buying among companies around the world creating a dramatic rise in prices. Then sell off all shares causing a massive drop in prices while collecting massive profits. Rinse and repeat.

Questions:
1. This kind of activity clearly violates both the Sherman Anti-Trust Act and the RICO Act among other laws but these laws have largely not been applied or enforced since 1980. What needs to happen to force the government to enforce their own laws and bust up or nationalize these pigs?
2. Since these acts result in millions of deaths, destabilization of governments and economic crises on a global scale, hence constituting crimes against humanity should the responsible parties face the death penalty?
3. Should corporate criminals in general face the death penalty due to the scope of their crimes?

RE: Blaxican
I'm one of the people benefiting from this ingenius scheme, so how is this a bad thing?!

Darth Jello
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
I'm one of the people benefiting from this ingenius scheme, so how is this a bad thing?! That question indicates that you are either ignorant, or not funny, or possibly a clinical psychopath.

Regardless, even if you are one of the few people financially benefiting from this, these things have a way of coming back and biting you on these ass. Just ask Imelda Marcos.

King Kandy
All agricultural policy in the US is a disaster...

RE: Blaxican
Well, I don't know who Imelda Marcos is, and I'm not very funny, and am a little sick in the head, so I guess I'm all three. Regardless, I'm making so much money for this that I can pay to fix those things!

Gonna wiki Imelda Marcos.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Well, I don't know who Imelda Marcos is, and I'm not very funny, and am a little sick in the head, so I guess I'm all three. Regardless, I'm making so much money for this that I can pay to fix those things!

Gonna wiki Imelda Marcos. She had a lotta shoes.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Between 1932-1933, the USSR engineered the Holodomor, a peace time famine in Ukraine that resulted in the death of up to 10 million people as a deliberate act of genocide.

In 2007, major financial firms colluded and conspired to invest in corn all over the world. This doesn't mean actual corn, this means the actual right to produce corn (the same way that investing in oil isn't buying up oil, it's buying up development rights). Why? As a result, companies all over the world began to panic and buy up more shares resulting in a mass increase in food prices, famine, riots, etc. At the peak, the Wall Street firms sold off their shares for a massive profit leading to a massive drop in prices, lost jobs, lost savings etc. The bastards then blamed the famine on biofuel production during the gas crisis they themselves engineered in a similar fashion the next year, driving up the price of oil even further. Now there's rumbling that they're planning a repeat performance with corn again.

The basic plan is this. Pick a vital commodity. Collude with other firms to convince investors to buy up shares in the commodity en mass until you corner a significant chuck of the market. This forces panic buying among companies around the world creating a dramatic rise in prices. Then sell off all shares causing a massive drop in prices while collecting massive profits. Rinse and repeat.

Questions:
1. This kind of activity clearly violates both the Sherman Anti-Trust Act and the RICO Act among other laws but these laws have largely not been applied or enforced since 1980. What needs to happen to force the government to enforce their own laws and bust up or nationalize these pigs?
2. Since these acts result in millions of deaths, destabilization of governments and economic crises on a global scale, hence constituting crimes against humanity should the responsible parties face the death penalty?
3. Should corporate criminals in general face the death penalty due to the scope of their crimes?

I wondered how this was legal, one boring Sunday afternoon, a couple of weeks ago.

It turns out that it's not legal, based on your point #1.

WTF?

And, yes, I agree: if this caused the deaths of thousands of people and you can prove that the individuals knew that it would happen when they drove the prices up, then that is the legal definition of murder.

It is similar to pulling the plug on a life-support system for a fully coherant person (they just need life support to stay alive): it's still murder if the person didn't want to die.

Anyway, I find it odd that we can speculate on food and livestock like they are stocks and bons. Sure, they are capital...but they are definitely not something you would want to spike or drop in value. Isn't this something the SEC could create a regulation for? (Wait, they did...I just have to refer back to your point #1.)

Lord Lucien
But wait, none of this affects me as an American citizen. Why does this matter to me?

Mindship

Questions:
3. Should corporate criminals in general face the death penalty due to the scope of their crimes? No surprises here. This is why it's good to be king. Haven't the rich and powerful always taken advantage of the masses? Capitalism is just slicker about it.

As long as the Golden Rule ("The one with the gold makes the rules"wink holds sway, I'm not sure what can be done, outside some form of revolution or internationally organized lawyer Dream Team. Either way, you're looking at years, if not decades, before any retribution/compensation occurs.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
But wait, none of this affects me as an American citizen. Why does this matter to me?

It does though.

Tha C-Master

Questions:
3. Should corporate criminals in general face the death penalty due to the scope of their crimes? People just don't know how to invest properly and laws were put up to protect nonaccredited investors. Unfortunately they go by the amount of money the person has and not the skill. People don't realize when it becomes a "hot item" it's already too late to buy.

roughrider
This was Stalin's effort to force the Ukraine to accept collectivization of farms for the whole USSR, which they had refused to do.
Monstrous? Sure. That's why many Ukrainians joined up with the invading Nazis (the ones who could convince not to be shot out of hand), and even worked as guards on concentration camps like Sorbibor. Unfortunately, they paid for collaborating when the Nazis were pushed out.
I can't judge people like Stalin & Chairman Mao, because they were at the head of revolutionary movements, and to this day the opinion of their legacy (in their own countries) is divided.

Darth Jello
About point #1. These aren't "financial regulations", these are federal laws that have been unevenly or barely enforced since Ronald McReagan slimed his scaley hide into the white house. The way most large corporations are run and considering their market share, they technically do not have the right to exist under the EXISTING LAW.

Liberator
Been saying this for a while now,
capitalism kills.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Liberator
Been saying this for a while now,
capitalism kills. Capitalism+Democracy=Ultimate Evil.

Liberator
They cannot co-exist that is why.

democracy - beautiful idea

but once you incorporate representatives and capitalism into the mix the entire nature of democracy is rendered obsolete. and the end result is control by corporations i.e. modern day america

wall street runs america, banksters run the world. such is the nature of capitalism.

tsscls

Questions:

Stalin made out pretty wel, other than the exreme paranoia and probable poisoning.

skekUng

Questions:

Daniel Plainview wins again.

1: Oddly enough, the exact thing so many anti-government groups are now calling for, just after stapling a tea bag to their hat. Sadly, what the tea party does not realize is that their group is funded by billionaires, like the Kochs, who feed on their fears while offering them a return to less complicated times. The ultimate pay off for them, though, is victory on election night and the illusion that their party is A) not the republican party and B) going to do a damn thing to change the situation.
2: No. My experience in business and legal education has proven that the more a country is turned over to corporate interests, the more vague the law becomes and the less realistic it is to actually find something with which to charge them. But, that little voice in the back of my mind says they should be strung up like Mussolini.
3: see answer 2

inimalist
Originally posted by tsscls
Stalin made out pretty wel, other than the exreme paranoia and probable poisoning.

LOL

of course, because we all know that the problems with fascism are those that affect the leader, not the indescribable suffering of its citizens

poor poor stalin, we must add what a victim hitler was, and how troubling and tough it must have been to be pol pot

Liberator
The thing is these corporate thieves will get away with it for two reasons.

1. The media won't make much of a report on it (which feeds into the population being ignorant).
2. They are protected by the police, military, politicians, etc.

skekUng
Originally posted by Liberator
The thing is these corporate thieves will get away with it for two reasons.

1. The media won't make much of a report on it (which feeds into the population being ignorant).
2. They are protected by the police, military, politicians, etc.

Silly. But not for the reasons you might assume.

lil bitchiness

Questions:

1. What needs to happen? Hmm...how about that the politicians stop needing money to run for power, ie campaigns , and thus don't need sponsors and thus don't need to suck up to large companies in order to stay in power?

2. lol

3. lol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.