Is there anything in comics more overused than "genius level intellect"?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
Well is there?

BlackZero30x
plot devices shifty

Omega Vision
When I ask "anything" I'm asking about character traits.

Bentley
Super strength? That's incredible overused by itself even if is worthless.

Colossus-Big C
durability,

people surviving black holes and stars but get hurt by much less

Entity
peak human!

StyleTime
Martial arts skill.

vansonbee
Bendis dialogue

Starscream M
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Well is there? how if genius level intellect overused?

Blair Wind
Olympic level physical stats.

Everyone has them. Even the genius types. erm

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
durability,

people surviving black holes and stars but get hurt by much less
That's not really the point of the thread.

Originally posted by Starscream M
how if genius level intellect overused?
About 90% of Batman's rogues gallery and 65% of Spidey's has it. That's a shit ton of characters on it's own. A huge number of Herald levelers have it to some degree.

Warlord
invulnerability.

nobody really has it but countless characters are said to be "invulnerable"

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by Bentley
Super strength? That's incredible overused by itself even if is worthless. It's like the cornerstone super-power, it's often the first one mentioned.

But for the win:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MostCommonSuperPower

Bentley
Originally posted by Tha C-Master
It's like the cornerstone super-power, it's often the first one mentioned.

But for the win:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MostCommonSuperPower

laughing out loud

Bad fashion sense should be a super power on itself wink

BlackZero30x
When I ask "anything" I'm asking about character traits.

id say genius level intellect and this are the top 2

Originally posted by Entity
peak human!

SuperMan103
olympic athlete level stats.

Doctor-Alvis
Being one of the best martial artists in the world is a common one.

Stoic
The Healing Factor. There was a time, that this ability was nearly unique, but as time marched forward, nearly every second or third hero or villain possesses one. Don't even ask me to make a list... it's pretty long.

Dum Dum Dugan
Originally posted by Stoic
The Healing Factor. There was a time, that this ability was nearly unique, but as time marched forward, nearly every second or third hero or villain possesses one. Don't even ask me to make a list... it's pretty long.
I agree, and it gotten to the point were now extremely durable superman types, the past decade or so all of a sudden seem to posses crazy healing factors (which in many cases perhaps they possesed beyond human healing, but nothing to there current level. Perhaps it my bias opinion, but thats how it seems, that now every super strong/durable and powerful individuals now posses a healing factor as well.

Warlord
energy blasts

there...

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Dum Dum Dugan
I agree, and it gotten to the point were now extremely durable superman types, the past decade or so all of a sudden seem to posses crazy healing factors (which in many cases perhaps they possesed beyond human healing, but nothing to there current level. Perhaps it my bias opinion, but thats how it seems, that now every super strong/durable and powerful individuals now posses a healing factor as well.
I think HF has always been a part of Superman as a character, at least beyond human healing.

-Pr-
I think HF has always been a part of Superman as a character, at least beyond human healing.

in his case it has, but the list of people who have it has risen considerably imo.

Dum Dum Dugan
Originally posted by -Pr-
in his case it has, but the list of people who have it has risen considerably imo.
yea this is what I ment, people like him and in general. I was pretty sure superman always had a healing factor of sorts. I think i recall really old issue were he even states he heals faster or something.

-Pr-
yea this is what I ment, people like him and in general. I was pretty sure superman always had a healing factor of sorts. I think i recall really old issue were he even states he heals faster or something.

yeah. it's just rarely referenced because he tends to be hard to hurt in the first place with anything serious enough to endanger his life.

Dum Dum Dugan
Originally posted by -Pr-
yeah. it's just rarely referenced because he tends to be hard to hurt in the first place with anything serious enough to endanger his life.
true.

Newjak
In terms of things that get way overused and over blown. Genius level intellect and Martial arts are the top two imo.

It seems like all you have to do is turn the corner and you'll run into somebody fitting the above two categories.

Deadline
Originally posted by StyleTime
Martial arts skill.

I was waiting for that.

Dum Dum Dugan
Originally posted by Newjak
In terms of things that get way overused and over blown. Genius level intellect and Martial arts are the top two imo.

It seems like all you have to do is turn the corner and you'll run into somebody fitting the above two categories.
super strength shows up just as much if not more.

Bentley
super strength shows up just as much if not more.

Yeah, the real issue is when a character has uber martial art skills, super strength and a genius level intellect.

... Like Wolverine biscuits

Dum Dum Dugan
also are we define martial arts as master? or simply martial arts? Because the makes a huge differences.

There are a lot of MA masters true and it over used, but ever single character pretty much know some form of MA or has been trained in it usesages

Newjak
super strength shows up just as much if not more. I wouldn't agree with that really.

There is a large portion of heroes that are only described as peak human ala the street levelers and such.

Most do not have super strength but a large portion of them almost all have either MA or Genius intellect or a combination of both. Even if it is only implied.

I mean everyone on the X-Men or mutants are supposed to be H2H experts and many of them have Genius level intellect of some form, Cyclops, Storm, Jean Grey, Emma Frost, Prof. X Magneto, Jubilee has been described as an expert MA, and those are the ones without Super Strength and the list can get really large. Even the ones like Colossus or Beast with super strength are said to posses large intellects Beast or Have expert H2H like Colossus.

Superman is supposed to have Genius Level Intellect and has been decribed as a master of some forms of MA.

And virtually every street level has both to some degree. I think Genius and MA experts are the most blown out because almost everyone walking around in tights are supposed to have some form of it if you read enough into their history.

Tha C-Master
Superstrength is like the classic standard super ability, but it is so common that you don't really even think about it anymore. There are loads and loads of characters who have it. Just about everyone does at Meta point.

MA stands out more, intellect does too. But I don't see it being as common as strength.

Tha C-Master
Actually *the* most overused thing nowadays has to be...

Being badass.

There is nothing wrong with a tough, cool character. But why does everyone and their mom have to be a "hardcore testosterone" character. This is in video games too, it gets to the point where it isn't even creative. Throw a guy in there, make him "tough", and do crazy things for the sake of it. It got really bad in the 90's. It's like everyone now has to swear like a sailor and rip heads off every ten seconds. The problem is games like God of War, while fun obviously use this to lure in young people. "See that sex minigame kids? That's why you should play this."

It actually makes guys like Spider-Man refreshing to me because he didn't fall into the whole "I'm a badass and I need to compensate for it".

Thank god.

RE: Blaxican
L-Like Duke Nukem?

Deadline
Magic niot sure if it applies to Marvel but DC defintely.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
L-Like Duke Nukem?

131 I was waiting on someone to post that. big grin (Btw haven't seen you post here in some time, you stalking me!? eek!

Duke Nukem is actually a parody of badass stereotypes to the point where it is tongue is cheek. Badass is his superpower. Like a video game Chuck Norris, but manlier. Known as rated M for Manly and Testosterone Poisoning.

That's why I always liked him. I don't think many younger gamers see he is was a parody since he revolutionized the whole thing and the new shooter archetype was modeled after him.

Dum Dum Dugan
Originally posted by Newjak
I wouldn't agree with that really.

There is a large portion of heroes that are only described as peak human ala the street levelers and such.

Most do not have super strength but a large portion of them almost all have either MA or Genius intellect or a combination of both. Even if it is only implied.

I mean everyone on the X-Men or mutants are supposed to be H2H experts and many of them have Genius level intellect of some form, Cyclops, Storm, Jean Grey, Emma Frost, Prof. X Magneto, Jubilee has been described as an expert MA, and those are the ones without Super Strength and the list can get really large. Even the ones like Colossus or Beast with super strength are said to posses large intellects Beast or Have expert H2H like Colossus.

Superman is supposed to have Genius Level Intellect and has been decribed as a master of some forms of MA.

And virtually every street level has both to some degree. I think Genius and MA experts are the most blown out because almost everyone walking around in tights are supposed to have some form of it if you read enough into their history.

thats why I posted this

also are we define martial arts as master? or simply martial arts? Because the makes a huge differences.

There are a lot of MA masters true and it over used, but ever single character pretty much know some form of MA or has been trained in it usesages

-Pr-
^ Agreed. I think the problem with Martial Arts is that basically all street level characters have to have some sort of skill to even survive most of their encounters. I know it's not all, but it's a decent portion. Then you have people who we're told are great martial artists (Aquaman, Cyclops) but have little to no feats backing it up. We go by hearsay or testimonials from other characters.

Super strength is pretty close, but I'd go with Martial arts/h2h skill as the most common thing.

Tha C-Master
Like I said, strength is so common that it isn't even noticed. After a certain point everyone has it. Abstracts, skyfathers, etc. All have it, whether they can fight or not. Super Strength is everywhere, even on the bottom tier.

It's like songs about cars and money, they are overdone, yes, but songs about love are even more common, but so common we don't think about it and it's just part of the package.

roughrider
Having members of religious clergy be evil schemers, criminals or worse. Even if the person isn't a member of an order, the image is constantly used by other lowlives.
This goes beyond comics; it's one of the most overused cliches in pop culture the past twenty years.

Stoic
The Robin character is getting up there, it's almost as if being Robin is as easy as it would be to get a job at McDonalds. All you have to be is 5'6" with dark hair, and willing to get pwned on a regular basis.

BUSTER1
Originally posted by Tha C-Master
Actually *the* most overused thing nowadays has to be...

Being badass.

There is nothing wrong with a tough, cool character. But why does everyone and their mom have to be a "hardcore testosterone" character. This is in video games too, it gets to the point where it isn't even creative. Throw a guy in there, make him "tough", and do crazy things for the sake of it. It got really bad in the 90's. It's like everyone now has to swear like a sailor and rip heads off every ten seconds. The problem is games like God of War, while fun obviously use this to lure in young people. "See that sex minigame kids? That's why you should play this."

It actually makes guys like Spider-Man refreshing to me because he didn't fall into the whole "I'm a badass and I need to compensate for it".

Thank god.

thumb up Too true. I remember when Marvel decided to change Masterson/Thor to Thunderstrike in the early 90's. In ads for the new comic Thunderstrike was shown holding his mace, with his hair in a pony tail, lightning strike earing showing, and a determined grimace on his face. The caption read "Its the 90's and the heroes play hard ball"
I read the comic and Eric wasn't that badass at all-but it was annoying that Marvel felt the need portray him that way. And don't me started on the Punisher clone Solo.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by BUSTER1
thumb up Too true. I remember when Marvel decided to change Masterson/Thor to Thunderstrike in the early 90's. In ads for the new comic Thunderstrike was shown holding his mace, with his hair in a pony tail, lightning strike earing showing, and a determined grimace on his face. The caption read "Its the 90's and the heroes play hard ball"
I read the comic and Eric wasn't that badass at all-but it was annoying that Marvel felt the need portray him that way. And don't me started on the Punisher clone Solo. I almost want to make an opposite concept of being "goodass", they have awesome power by being real saints, not the "badass" priest, but real saint-like characters.

basilisk
Originally posted by BUSTER1

Has there ever been a superhero decade more badass than the bomber jacketed, longhaired, ponytailed, earringed, badass 90s? It was so damn badass that it just oozed badass, so much so that some of it oozed out well into the 2000s and beyond, the effect still being felt today with characters like Wolverine. Some of it even oozed backwards, into the 80s, causing stuff like Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by basilisk
Has there ever been a superhero decade more badass than the bomber jacketed, longhaired, ponytailed, earringed, badass 90s? It was so damn badass that it just oozed badass, so much so that some of it oozed out well into the 2000s and beyond, the effect still being felt today with characters like Wolverine. Some of it even oozed backwards, into the 80s, causing stuff like Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen.
You actually liked the shithole that was 90s comics?

IMO that was the worst decade in the history of comics. One of the only good things to come out of it was the Sandman (which was started in the late 80s stick out tongue)

endofthemovie
Haha, that's funny.. and I suppose it's true, too. XD

Tha C-Master
So... badass it is then?

Dum Dum Dugan
I like 90's comics to be honest lol, it had some of my favorite comics.

Tha C-Master
I actually liked Maximum Carnage.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.