Need some good suggestions

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kaibs
Hey everyone... Well after I go shopping today for some good vinyls I am going to go to the library and check out a few books to read.

Now with that being said. I have not read an actual book without being forced to in a very very long time. Not to say I don't read shit. I just usually read on the internet, but not actual books.

What are some good suggestions and books to look at. To give you an idea of how long it's been. I haven't even read any of the Harry Potter books. I am open to anything except romance novels, and Twilight.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks.

That ACDC Chick
some of my favorites are
Cory Doctorow's For the Win and Little Brother
the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud
Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan
the Robert Langdon books by Dan Brown

Kaibs
What's For the Win about?

That ACDC Chick
a bunch of people who work in MMORPGs by "farming" gold, aka earning in game gold just to sell to real world buyers
they fight back against their bosses to earn better wages and working conditions
a lot of it takes place in India and China and goes into details about factory workers there

i actually just finished it the other day and loved it

Kaibs
Oh lol. Gold Farmers... god I hated those when I played mmos. I'll check it out if they have it. Sounds interesting.

Mindset
A Song of Ice and Fire
Snow Crash
Dune

Kaibs
What's A Song of Ice and Fire about?

miiih
I would say, you can read up following books, all do have a series of their books.
The immortal series by Alyson Noel:

Evermore
Blue Moon
Shadowland
Dark Flame
Night Star
Everlasting

The touch series by Laurie Faria Stolarz:

Deadly Little Secret
Deadly Little Lies
Deadly Little Games
Deadly Little Voices (it comes out this november!)

Percy Jackson & the olympian series by Rick Riodan:

The Lightning Thief
The Sea of Monsters
The Titan's Curse
The Battle of the Labyrinth
The Last Olympian

The Heroes of Olympus Series by Rick Riordan (same characters from the Percy Jackson series but you have to read the percy jackson series first to understand the heroes of olympus series)

The Lost Hero
The Son of Neptune

The Riley Bloom Series by Alyson Noel

Radiance
Shimmer
Dreamland
Whisper (comes out spring 2012)

Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepard:

Pretty Little Liars
Flawless
Perfect
Unbelievable
Wicked
Killer
Heartless
Wanted
Twisted

The Wolves of Mercy Falls series by Maggie Stiefvader:

Shiver
Linger
Forever

The Kane Chronicals series by Rick Riordan:

The Red Pyramid
The Throne of Fire

these books are AMAZING!

siriuswriter
Can you be more specific about what kind of books you'll read?

Literary Fiction
- Wally Lamb His books are VERY deep and awfully sad, but have a thin stream of hope that gets bigger near the end.
-Barbara Kingsolver
-Maeve Binchy

Historical Fiction
-Margaret George
-Phillippa Gregory - she has a great series of books, starting with "The Other Boleyn Girl," that chronicle Henry VIII's realm through Elizabeth I's."
-Edward Rutherford - writes about historical places from prehistory to "current times." Has written about London, Sarum Princes of Ireland, New York... and does it really well.

Mystery
-Agatha Christie - any of her books, all of her books. I especially like "Hercule Poirot," her Belgium detective, but you can't go wrong with her.
-Mary Higgins Clark - more of thriller mystery, you're introduced to the whole of the suspect list and each of them have some kind of secret, but only one is the culprit.

Science Fiction
-Suzanne Collins - The Hunger Games Trilogy
-Orson Scott Card - the "Ender's Game" series.

Fantasy.
-Juliet Marillier - anything of hers will be deeply satisfying and beautiful.
- "The Chronicles of Chrestomanci" Series

Classics
- Victor Hugo - Les Miserables. Very dense, but extremely worth it.
- Le Comte de Monte Cristo Exciting, well made characters, driven story line. So much more than the movie had time for.

I have many more, but here's a taste. PM me if you want to know more.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.