Liu Xiaobo wins 2010 Nobel Peace Prize!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Operation kmc
(can't post link because I'm too new)

As one can expect, the Chinese government is outraged. wink

Robtard
That will teach the Chicoms to question the Out-Of-Africa theory.

Liberator
"Following the announcement of the Nobel Peace Prize, Liu's wife, Liu Xia, was placed under house arrest but has not been charged with any offence."

lol

Omega Vision
Ahh China, just when we start to forget you're still a police state you always find a way to remind us. laughing out loud

lil bitchiness
Heh, I can't access English Wiki for Liu Xiaobo without a proxy.

Either way, Chinese Government is very mindful of all things anti-Chinese or what it may be perceived as anti-people's republic or anti-China in general.

Chinese people are not stupid. Most know what is going on in the world and how China fits in all of that and equally many think that Americans only have the democratic process as a charade, but don't actually have any say in what kind of person they elect.

As far as police state is concerned - I've spoken to Americans and Australians who have lived in China for over 8 years and had zero issues with anything apart from occasional dissatisfaction with local restaurant or 2.

Maybe Chinese authorities behave better to laowais then to Chinese nationals...

Omega Vision
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Heh, I can't access English Wiki for Liu Xiaobo without a proxy.

Either way, Chinese Government is very mindful of all things anti-Chinese or what it may be perceived as anti-people's republic or anti-China in general.

Chinese people are not stupid. Most know what is going on in the world and how China fits in all of that and equally many think that Americans only have the democratic process as a charade, but don't actually have any say in what kind of person they elect.

As far as police state is concerned - I've spoken to Americans and Australians who have lived in China for over 8 years and had zero issues with anything apart from occasional dissatisfaction with local restaurant or 2.

Of course. Assuming these people were American and Australian citizens living in China then it becomes a much more sensitive issue for the Chinese. Of course they'd be more lenient to people who could potentially start an international incident which would make China look bad if they were oppressed in any way. Also by chance did they live in Hong Kong? Because that makes a tremendous difference.

China is by no means the most oppressive country in the world, it might not even be in the top ten of most oppressive nations. But events like these make it very clear that it is still not a free country.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

What about the expats who are of Southeast Asian or African descent?

I have doubts they'd be given the same VIP-treatment.

Symmetric Chaos
How many people did this guy kill?

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Of course. Assuming these people were American and Australian citizens living in China then it becomes a much more sensitive issue for the Chinese. Of course they'd be more lenient to people who could potentially start an international incident which would make China look bad if they were oppressed in any way. Also by chance did they live in Hong Kong? Because that makes a tremendous difference.

China is by no means the most oppressive country in the world, it might not even be in the top ten of most oppressive nations. But events like these make it very clear that it is still not a free country.

Oh absolutely, I know Hong Kong makes a massive difference, but that's not where everyone is. Most of the people I've spoken to I met in Chengdu, (which is where I am), and others I spoke to have their permanent residence in Dalian.
So, its Mainland China.

And yes, you're correct, it isn't a visibly oppressive country - everyone just goes about their own daily business - and apart from the fact that health and safety are abstract concepts in China and red light on the street is just a suggestion, there is also a very active night life, tea houses, parks where pensioners drink tea and play mahjong, people walk at the slowest pace EVER and streets are full of people, young and old be it 3pm or 3am.

As you already pointed out, it isn't a free country either but it doesn't have an oppressive regime like you may find in certain other places in the world and what is really important, China is a relatively safe place.
Police officers in China (with the exception of one province) are not armed with guns, either.

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
What about the expats who are of Southeast Asian or African descent?

I have doubts they'd be given the same VIP-treatment.

Haven't seen or met any. That doesn't mean there aren't any, just because I don't know of them.

Africans are regarded poorly in certain places - some due to racism (Chinese view you by your ethnicity, not by country) and others due to massive influx of illicit drugs into China, allegedly from people from Nigeria and Liberia.

And no, that doesn't mean ALL Chinese are racist or unwelcoming.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.