Best era of music?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Operation kmc
Hi, I'm new here.

To start a thread;

What is, in your opinion, the golden age of music?

Dr Mystery
I was torn between the 60's or the 70's, in the end I went with the 60's. Perhaps it's the swinger in me!

Slay
You're ignoring some important shifts in music between 1600 and 1900. Might as well just make it a ''Favourite era of pop music thread''.

Dr Mystery
Not ignoring. Just chose my favourite.

AsbestosFlaygon
Best era would be 1600-1900.

2nd for me is 1990-2000.

Esomark
1990-2000 gets my vote. No exceptions. I grew up in that time so it's easy for me to choose.

Dave_97
the 80s

JacopeX
The 90's.

BobbyD
I didn't grow up in this era, but gosh darn it the 60's had it all. The creme de la creme were in this decade. The British invasion, Motown, Ray Charles, James Brown, Elvis, Johnny Cash, Aretha, etc, etc.. Jeepers, that is a loaded decade. None can really compete.

Kaibs
1960-1970 for me out of the choices. A close second would be 1970-1980

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by BobbyD
I didn't grow up in this era, but gosh darn it the 60's had it all. The creme de la creme were in this decade. The British invasion, Motown, Ray Charles, James Brown, Elvis, Johnny Cash, Aretha, etc, etc.. Jeepers, that is a loaded decade. None can really compete.
Nah.

None of them were on par with Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Ludwig van Beethoven, or Johann Sebastian Bach.

§P0oONY
1600-1900 is a lot longer than 10 years...

And in my opinion 1900-2010 is far superior to 1600-1900. Something being classical doesn't make it better.

BobbyD

BobbyD
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Nah.

None of them were on par with Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Ludwig van Beethoven, or Johann Sebastian Bach.

Sure, with a piano!

AsbestosFlaygon
Sure, with a piano!
Even in musicianship.

Those guys were on par with Jimi Hendrix and Buckethead.

PS: Johnny Cash is nothing but an overrated talker/strummer.

Slay
Sure, with a piano!
You do realise they composed music for a wide array of instruments?

Besides, there are a lot of ''subgenres'' and differing eras in classical music that the OP has ignored. Just because you're not knowledgeable about classical music doesn't make it inferior to pop music. You like what you like, but please don't talk shit about a subject you know nothing about.

Kaibs
Originally posted by Slay

Besides, there are a lot of ''subgenres'' and differing eras in classical music that the OP has ignored. Just because you're not knowledgeable about classical music doesn't make it inferior to pop music. You like what you like, but please don't talk shit about a subject you know nothing about.

Very nicely put. I am a fan of most eras of music definitely. Especially classical as I major in it. Most of the comments are pure opinion based, as most of them should be, but the ones who were talking about stuff as if they knew it as fact are kind of wrong.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Nah.

Howz about antonin dvorak, Now that mother ****er knew what was up. lol

Best era..,one word, page

Stoic
The 70's and the 90's were without a doubt the best era's of music. The past decade in my opinion has been absolute trash.

Stoic

You're likely right, but do you listen to those guys on a normal basis, or would you prefer to listen to Metallica, or something more modern? I'm not well versed on classical music, so that genre is beyond me.

Admiral Akbar
best era of music would have to be classical. Even to this day it's still being played 400 years since its birth. Pop music and the rest are infantile compared to it.

Not to mention that bach, mozart, and the rest were geniuses in the music department, not just with playing a piano, or composing music, but how they were able to create truly original pieces of music way ahead of their time and some of which people considered radical. They were true visionaries.

Also, something about an orchestra of instruments in harmony with one another makes it more appealing than a clattering of drums and an electric guitar with a simple repetitive motif drowned out by some dude screaming into a microphone.

maham
today is probably the best era for music. ANYONE can make a song and post it out to people all around the world(Even if they're not that good). LOL! Never was there this much freedom.

Slay
Originally posted by Stoic
You're likely right, but do you listen to those guys on a normal basis, or would you prefer to listen to Metallica, or something more modern? I'm not well versed on classical music, so that genre is beyond me.
I definitely don't listen to classical music more than I listen to pop music, but I've had classical education for piano for years and I do listen to classical music a lot.

Also, @ Spooony, You took what I said completely wrong. I never said anything about classical music being better than pop music because it's 'classical'. I never even said that classical music is better than pop music. All I said was that it was ignorant to act as if nothing had happened in music between the years of 1600 and 1900, and that the OP might as well have called the thread ''The best era in pop music''.

BobbyD
I definitely don't listen to classical music more than I listen to pop music, but I've had classical education for piano for years and I do listen to classical music a lot.

Also, @ Spooony, You took what I said completely wrong. I never said anything about classical music being better than pop music because it's 'classical'. I never even said that classical music is better than pop music. All I said was that it was ignorant to act as if nothing had happened in music between the years of 1600 and 1900, and that the OP might as well have called the thread ''The best era in pop music''.

Thanks for your clarification. I get ruffled when people don't consider my 60's as the best era ever. stick out tongue

RE: Blaxican
The 2000's. G-Unit > All

Stoic
Thanks for your clarification. I get ruffled when people don't consider my 60's as the best era ever. stick out tongue

The 60's was fleshed out by the 70's, the 80's synthesized the 70's, the 90's combined all three into one bad-ass sound, and 2000-2010 ignored the lessons of the past, and got lost in the shuffle. Just my impression of the past 50 years in music.

BobbyD
Originally posted by Stoic
The 60's was fleshed out by the 70's, the 80's synthesized the 70's, the 90's combined all three into one bad-ass sound, and 2000-2010 ignored the lessons of the past, and got lost in the shuffle. Just my impression of the past 50 years in music.

Hmm, interesting.

..."fleshed" out...?

Rhovanion
Nothing beats some good old '80s cheese in my opinion! smile

red g jacks
im primarily a rap fan so... 90's ny is where the **** its @

hophip27
laughing laughing i like 80s music very much... most of the different variety in that music... laughing laughing

Darth Piggott
My vote was 1980-1990, but I think the golden age for me was 1950 to 2000. I love most music in that timeframe.

Admiral Akbar
The main problem with modern music is that it is made with entertainment in mind first and foremost as opposed to making a true piece of art. If we define music as art we must see which era best encompasses that definition.

chipper7777
60s The Beatles, Elvis, among many others.

music is what we know it today because they were

MrMind
80s and 90s for me

srankmissingnin
All I can say is I doubt any of the "Top 100" tracks from the last 20 years will have the legs to compete with the music of the last century. The majority of music created since the mid 90s has either been a sad foot note in music history, or completely over looked by the general population.

StyleTime
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
or completely over looked by the general population.
Sadly, such is the case with a lot of good art.

As for the thread, I'm not sure a "best era" in music even exists.

hophip27
90's was d best for me and i found such music on brainstormlive.com

CanYouRead2
mad
come on... most everyone is naming DECADES of the CURRENT ERA (duh)... there is the MEDIEVAL ERA, RENAISSANCE ERA, CLASSICAL ERA, ROMANTIC ERA, IMPRESSIONIST ERA, and of course the current era.... the 20th Century...

smokin'
and one guy had it right when he named Antonin Dvorak from the Czech Republic in the ROMANTIC ERA... KUDOS DUDE!!! Happy Dance

the ninjak
Originally posted by Rhovanion
Nothing beats some good old '80s cheese in my opinion! smile

thumb up

Jim Colyer
It is hard to say what the best era is because every era has at least some good music.

red g jacks
Originally posted by red g jacks
im primarily a rap fan so... 90's ny is where the **** its @ in retrospect i think 1600-1900 has to be the winner. kind of an unbalanced competition though tbh.

FreeNetflix
I have to go for the 90s songs they were the best

FistOfThe North
I say 1950 - 2000.

LeonBuco666
Late 80's through the 90's up until about 96-97 mainly because im into hip-hop/rap deeply

the ninjak
This really is an idiotic question.

Cat Lady
I enjoy the 60's style of music.

Cinemaholic
I am a youngster and haven't really been exposed to many of these genres of decades of music so I have to go with what I know and that is nowadays music.

wilco
It's too hard to clarify that!

I love early 70's - Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix and late 60's.

Also..............cold chisel.............late 70's to early 80's.

Pearl Jam is still jamming after 25 years.

The Rolling Stones, is 50 years still jamming.

Jim Colyer
The best era of music is always in the future.

jinXed by JaNx
I suppose i would say Now, because it has everything to choose from. It's just unfortunate that you have to wade through so much and rap just to get to something that resembles a song. However, if you have the patience, there is an endless supply of "real" music out there, if you bother to do the research.

Stoic
The 70's, and the 90's for me. These were the best commercial eras of music ever. At least for Rock and alternative Rock music I have no idea where everything went wrong these days?

Omega Vision
Depends on the genre.

My favorite genre is metal, and though I know I'll take a lot of flack for this from old guard metalheads, I think we're in the greatest era for metal now.

NemeBro
I'd agree, actually. Metal just keeps on pushing the boundaries of musical virtuosity (What a pretentious douchefag word to use).

5Gl6eWD1ttI

Songs like this didn't exist in the 60's.

Dude111
I picked 70-80 but in reality the 80s and before WAS THE BEST TIME FOR MANY THINGS!!

jinXed by JaNx
As much as I appreciate what was generated and created from the 50's 70's. I truly believe that the ninties and early two thousands will later be remembered for accomplishments in the indy market. I'm not that fond of alternative metal or alternative rock but some of the music that came from that style has become standard for whats being played now. Either way my favorite era was late 60's early 70's

That's not to say that I think that was the "best" era of music because I don't think there is a "best" era of music. BEcause as we age our tastes change. Sometimes bands or artists that would or should appeal to us as adolescence aren't realized until we're more mature, just like the opposite.

MAny people complain about this generation of music but I believe it's the best. The worst thing ithink that has come from this era of music is the studio recordings. The fact that a band an record an album without actually having to perform together. As a musician it's getting harder and harder to tell the difference between a band that records live and one that records sets. I suppose that's a good thing, but everything sounds studio these days.

Dr. Matthew
The old anarchist Punk era! big grin

AsbestosFlaygon
I actually think this current era will become maybe not the best, but one of the best eras in music.

All the varied indie music hitting the mainstream nowadays is proof of that.
We've got Chrvches, Lorde, Echosmith, Arctic Monkeys, MGMT,
Deafheaven, et al. charting the Billboards.
It means more and more people are straying away from mainstream music to attain some individuality, or are sick and tired of hearing the same shit on the radio being played repeatedly.

And yes, I agree that the metal genre is getting more and more technical and complex.
It's a great time to be a metalhead.

5NyMGQd6BlE

EUvpMhw5ALw

carthage
Eighties for me, everything I love from Killing Joke to Black Flag from Bathory to The Sisters of Mercy produced their classics from that era.

The pop music was better then too.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by NemeBro
I'd agree, actually. Metal just keeps on pushing the boundaries of musical virtuosity (What a pretentious douchefag word to use).

5Gl6eWD1ttI

Songs like this didn't exist in the 60's.
Although, the mid to late 90s was a great time for Melodic Death metal.

Stoic
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I suppose i would say Now, because it has everything to choose from. It's just unfortunate that you have to wade through so much and rap just to get to something that resembles a song. However, if you have the patience, there is an endless supply of "real" music out there, if you bother to do the research.

Srsly? I find myself agreeing with Billy Corgan when he says that this era is filled with too many of the robot people, and how many of today's artists have absolutely zero talent. I mean we're in an era that Disk Jockeys have become rock stars. It's truly baffling.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.