Let's Love Our Hair

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

siriuswriter
Arriving six days ago from Sesame Street :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz5nlr8oujA

""Sesame Street" has a permanent place in my heart thanks to its latest song, "I Love My Hair."

The popular children's television series recently aired a segment starring a brown Muppet rocking an Afro, pink dress, beaded earrings and necklace. She sings a tune about loving her curly locks -- bouncing onto the screen, beaming with energy, and belting out: "Don't need a trip to the beauty shop. 'Cause I love what I got on top. It's curly and it's brown and it's right up there! You know what I love? That's right, my hair! I really love my hair!"

Yes, we can all agree that the video is really cute, but it also made me cry. Here's why.

For black girls like myself this is an important lesson in embracing our natural hair, in spite of what society has historically deemed beautiful (read: straight, long hair).

Growing up, my perception of beauty was molded by my mother, grandmother, aunts, and cousins, along with the countless issues of Ebony, Jet, and Essence I feverishly ingested, featuring gorgeous brown women in the hottest African-American hairstyles.

Like my new Muppet friend, over my twenty-some years I've rocked my jet black strands in various dos, including cornrows, braids, ponytails, the press-n-curl, two-strand twists, and candy curls.

But as a pre-teen, my kinky strands were laid down flat onto my scalp thanks to a chemical hair relaxer -- one of the hair straightening processes that I would later come to regret, as it destroyed my curl pattern, making it very hard for me to wear my hair naturally again.

You see, I recently embarked on a hair journey to revive my curls after getting bored with the polished, broadcaster's look. Tired of wearing my strands bone-straight and looking like "everyone else," I stopped using the flat iron for six months, wore my hair in protective hairstyles like braids and twists, and then had a big chop three months ago to remove the straggling straight ends so that my curls could grow back healthy and strong.

And while it took over a decade for me to embrace my natural hair, when I watch this two-minute "Sesame Street" video, I can't help but fight back the tears as it sends a much-needed message to young black girls at a pivotal point in their development that will reaffirm why they should love what they've got on top.

Who knows if I would've yielded to the hot comb or "kiddie" relaxer had I been exposed to such a positive image of black hair at an early age. I can only hope that little girls who've watched this segment on PBS know that, as the Muppet sings, "there's nothing else that can compare to their hair." "

"A Priceless Message for Black Girls," by Dana Oliver, for AOL News.

As a white girl with thin floppy hair who wanted the braided cornrows of her best friend, I can definitely identify with Ms. Oliver.

What are your thoughts on the song/article?

Shakyamunison
Wow, what a sad uplifting story. I hope you hair is ok.

RE: Blaxican
I don't know who you are, but I love you. no expression

And uh, hair.

-Pr-
That whole creamy crack business is scary. here's hoping more women can love their hair.

sneha123
Wow, what a sad uplifting story. I hope you hair is ok..........
Yes I agree with you............. Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

siriuswriter
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Wow, what a sad uplifting story. I hope you hair is ok.

ha! i went through one bad perm that made my hair into a box, and was miraculously cured of hair-envy.

although the article... is not really about me... confused

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by siriuswriter
ha! i went through one bad perm that made my hair into a box, and was miraculously cured of hair-envy.

although the article... is not really about me... confused

I realize that it was not about you, but the smart-ass in my could not resist. stick out tongue

I used to have very long hair, but I started going bailed, and I was stuck with ether mad scientist, or bozo the clown hair. I finally cut it all off, and realized how wonderful it was to never have to comb my hair. big grin

Mindship
Hair is just one obsession our culture has in enforcing a limited standard of beauty that most of us would have to purchase a whole shipload of services and products to meet.

Cheers to you for breaking free. May many others be inspired by all examples to transcend Madison Avenue brainwashing.

Dave_97
hair is a way of life.
i had my hair cut a while ago.
i should not have done it.

ADarksideJedi
Sesame Street was alot better when I was growing up.Now it is just annoying.

Burning thought
I agree with the sentiment, people should accept the natural beauty of their hair rather than the labeled brands, fashions etc of the cultures that try and influence you into changing. I see too many common looking people, wearing exactly the same "supposedly" fashionable hair style. What a lot of people dont realise it seems is that it may be "cool" or "in fashion" but it may ruin their natural look.

I really hate the daft, cultureal/fashion influence on peoples appearances. Control of values on appearance to influence sales may be profitable but its a shame peopel cannot see these influences as just that, a profit to make people use their products and follow their styles rather than their own (and likely more attractive/natural) appearance.

Not sure how relevant all that was for the thread but I had to rant at cultural/fashion influences that ruin peoples hair and other areas of appearance.

inimalist
yes, rebel against the fashion industry! cut your hair like mine and you are free from corrupting influence!

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by inimalist
yes, rebel against the fashion industry! cut your hair like mine and you are free from corrupting influence!

...and a bottle of shampoo last a years. laughing out loud

inimalist
I can't remember the last time I bought shampoo... I normally get it as like a stocking stuffer or something long before I'm out

King Castle
hmm.. when i shower and dry my hair i get the zoolander fro friz.

then i get pissed and put on gel to mash it down or a beanie till it dries and mats down

inimalist
just shave it

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by King Castle
hmm.. when i shower and dry my hair i get the zoolander fro friz.

then i get pissed and put on gel to mash it down or a beanie till it dries and mats down

http://scissors.razor-scissors.com/electric_hair_clippers_products/electric_hair_clippers_a.jpg
... will take care of that. cool

King Castle
i have in the past kept it very short did the whole puerto rican hair style thing not a fan of it.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_XAePxwGya7E/R5RsfviUozI/AAAAAAAAAr0/0zBS20rSytE/s400/justin2.jpg

i just stick with my military style cuts shaved sides some on top.. only thing i do different from time to time is how long i let it get on top.

i kept it the same style since i was about 18 till now.
http://ptyworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Ricky-Martin-Vuelve.jpg

inimalist
****ing longhairs...

King Castle
so, you are a girl who shaved her head or has a man cut?

inimalist
why do you think I'm a girl?

King Castle
well, arent you?

Shakyamunison
well, arent you?

laughing

King Castle
laughing wink

inimalist
well, arent you?

let me check...

nope

96% man

King Castle
hmm...mhmm

http://girlyourenotalone.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/simmons.jpg

maybe?
confused

Shakyamunison
hmm...mhmm

http://girlyourenotalone.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/simmons.jpg

maybe?
confused

I think he is less then 96%.

inimalist, why 96% confused

Mindset
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Sesame Street was alot better when I was growing up.Now it is just annoying. Maybe because you're not a kid anymore.

inimalist
inimalist, why 96% confused

it was a more humerous answer?

Mindset
inimalist is a woman.

King Castle
so you were joking and not really a man? confused

inimalist
no, I am a man, I've posted a pic in the members pic thread before

100% dude, cock and balls, whole deal

I'm kind of curious as to what gave you the idea I wasn't

Mindset
inimalist is a sexy lady.

Don't let her trick you.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by inimalist
no, I am a man, I've posted a pic in the members pic thread before

100% dude, cock and balls, whole deal

I'm kind of curious as to what gave you the idea I wasn't
Wishful thinking on KC's part? He wants to justify his crush on you without it being gay.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.