Comic Variants

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

theICONiac
Ah, comic 'variant' covers.

I first became aware of this new phenom back when I returned to comics a couple of years ago.

At first I did not understand; I mistook them for mere reprints.

Then I noticed the higher prices they commanded in price guides like Wizard. Also I came to understand they were 'shortpacked' (in ratios like 1:10...1:25 etc) just like how action figures are now, adding to their rareness/collectibility.

So KMC, what is the consensus on this? Do collectors here actually appreciate it (and alternately, if you do is that your main goal to seek them out first?)?

Or is this the new version of the 90's tired old polybagged/gatefold/holographix/foil/neon-colored/glow-in-the-dark/Rob-Liefeld-stuck-a-curly-Q-in-the-spine kind of gimmicky crap comics were notorious for in this era?

Your thoughts...

willRules
I hated when Marvel used variants as a cheap marketing ploy against DC, via retailers. I am of course talking about when Marvel released the Deadpol, Siege #3 variant in certain shops at an extortionate price in exchange for the retailers returning a certain number of specific DC comics. That's just low.
Marvel attempted to defend themselves by stating that they were doing it to help retailers with copies that had not been sold. If Marvel really cared about that, then they would have sold the variant at a much cheaper price and allowed their own unsold issues to be returned.

Stoic
It's a gimmick, many people believe that their comics will be worth a mint in the coming years, and while there will be a few, there will be more that are worth less than the paper that they were printed on. It a simple case of picking good wine, or wine that's destined to become vinegar.

Bentley
Originally posted by willRules
I hated when Marvel used variants as a cheap marketing ploy against DC, via retailers. I am of course talking about when Marvel released the Deadpol, Siege #3 variant in certain shops at an extortionate price in exchange for the retailers returning a certain number of specific DC comics. That's just low.
Marvel attempted to defend themselves by stating that they were doing it to help retailers with copies that had not been sold. If Marvel really cared about that, then they would have sold the variant at a much cheaper price and allowed their own unsold issues to be returned.

Do you have a link about this practice?

willRules
Here's just an overview of what happened.....

http://uk.comics.ign.com/articles/106/1063009p1.html

But there were loads of online comments across the web.

StyleTime
I've seen variant covers that I liked more than the original, and I have bought those before.

As a whole though, variant covers aren't something I specifically seek out.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.