New & Used Items

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Z Kai
Sometimes you may think you're buying something new (unopened) like a vacuum cleaner or a handheld console, when you're really not. For example I've been a victim to Best Buy before, selling me a TV that has clearly been opened prior to when I bought it. Not a surprise since when years later I go return some TV I bought from them, their "Geek" (dumbass) Squad inspected it for 5 minutes and concluded there was nothing wrong with it. What I thought they did next? Well what do you think when they sold me a used TV as new years ago, and their Squad even says "NOTHING is wrong with it"?

So I don't know if I can trust someone like Best Buy for anything besides video game discs or software or something. However when it comes to people like Dell I know I can count on them. They even have an "outlet" store specifically for used or refurbished stuff, so I know what I would be getting from them.

Such as if you go to sonystyle.com, under "Shop" there's "Outlet" which sells used/refurbished items, so you pretty much know for sure whether you're getting a new/used item from sonystyle.

But could it be true Dell/Sony has an "outlet" store because they are original manufacturers? And companies like Best Buy are not?

And generally speaking what do third party companies do with items returned to them? I know they resell/restock. I've even read a company saying this directly, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller/returns.html/ref=olp_merch_return_2?seller=A2R0FX412W1BDT&asin=B001C6H8LA

Under non defective items they say "in a condition that prevents us from re-selling it".

But when they say sell again what do they mean? Sell as NEW again? Because that would be wrong.

I just want to know how this generally works. Do companies, for the very most part (85% or more) let you know if an item has been opened by a customer before or is it a big habit for first or third parties to sell you an opened item as new simply because it's hard to tell it was ever taken out of its box? Because someone can stroke their tongue on an iPod and it can still look new.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.