Sodium Hypochlorite

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Z Kai
This is commonly known as bleach and can be found in some household cleaning sprays like Lysol and Tilex, etc.

Anyway one of my brothers used this in a bathroom (which is the most common place bleach is used) and pretty much sprayed it on areas that are meant for bleach (tiles, grout, toilet, and bathtub), though the problem is the bathroom had no windows, not to mention it is freezing cold where I was and I cannot currently turn on the bathroom ventilation fan because my dad refuses to actually sleep in a bedroom and likes to sleep in the basement instead (well I just turned it on now, hopefully he'll sleep through it but with the way it's sounding I don't think he'll sleep for long so it'll probably have to shut off soon). So, ventilation in this case is not much of an option.

Well you can guess this is pretty much the last time he's using anything with "bleach" in the name. He even told me he thought it's what he ought to use for his purpose (the toilet just overflowed a bit and I guess this is after he did #2) which is ridiculous. You don't use bleach for this. You use bleach to remove stains or kill bacteria when there's NO OTHER ALTERNATIVE. He could've cleaned up with simple wet wipes and some Lysol disinfectant. He used Lysol with bleach, really bro? Well since you told me it's not happening again I guess I'll have to worry about it just this once.

So I read about it here: http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/S4105.htm

Anyway, so I came here to ask...what would bleach vapor do, besides the harmful health effects?

Because I've read about it and it's basically corrosive. It's acidic after all and has a low pH.

Can bleach vapor be corrosive as well? Could it corrode its surroundings, such as wood or paint? And if so to what extent?

Please answer these questions.

Rogue Jedi
Uncle Leo?

dadudemon

Rogue Jedi

Ax3l
Was that a serious question? Oh no, you answered it correctly in the second sentence.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Do you know what you're talking about? Cuz I don't think you know what you're talking about.

You could probably google half that information and verify my facts.

When you're done, come back and tell me which facts I got wrong.

Start out with the first one: is bleach an acid or a base?

Then work your way down my post. It will take you a while, of course, to verify all of those facts because they came from the ol' noggin'.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by dadudemon
You could probably google half that information and verify my facts.

When you're done, come back and tell me which facts I got wrong.

Start out with the first one: is bleach an acid or a base?

Then work your way down my post. It will take you a while, of course, to verify all of those facts because they came from the ol' noggin'. bewbz.

dadudemon

Dave_97
i agree.

pickles are fantastic!

Z Kai
Thanks dadude.

By the way if inhaling it can cause all that, then wouldn't it be corrosive to the environment as well? I mean if it can PERMANENTLY scar you on the inside (the fumes, that you said can do this) then can't this damage some things such as wood, and paint? If it can noticeable scar you I don't see how the fumes can't scar anything else. I mean it's not like we're softer than everything else.

Hey are oxygen-based bleaches safe on contact or inhaling them? Why hasn't my mom thought of this before?! I should go tell her about this, as there I guess is no point in using the sodium hypochlorite (damn you stupid substance).

dadudemon
Originally posted by Z Kai
Thanks dadude.

By the way if inhaling it can cause all that, then wouldn't it be corrosive to the environment as well? I mean if it can PERMANENTLY scar you on the inside (the fumes, that you said can do this) then can't this damage some things such as wood, and paint? If it can noticeable scar you I don't see how the fumes can't scar anything else. I mean it's not like we're softer than everything else.

Hey are oxygen-based bleaches safe on contact or inhaling them? Why hasn't my mom thought of this before?! I should go tell her about this, as there I guess is no point in using the sodium hypochlorite (damn you stupid substance).

The "solids" the comprise the surfaces of your bathroom are much harder to "react" to beacuse of sevearl reasons:

They have much "harder" crystalline structures than flesh (this is important because it's harder for bleach to break apart those atomic bonds (stronger crystalline structure makes it harder to pull apart those bonds.)) This is the main reason.

They aren't wet with water or other chemicals. (Making something wet or adding a liquid chemical to the surface can act as a catalyst at times. In the case of your lungs, it just makes the bleach "particles" stick to your lungs more easily, building up, and reacting with the flesh.

Our flesh is more reactive to bleach than say, porcelain.

Damaging the cells causes abnormalities in cell growth and cell cluster shapes when they repair themselves from the "burning" of the chemicals...and this is what "scar" tissue is. These scar tissues are not very efficient at absorbing oxygen due to their surface shape and composition..and in some cases, don't even work at transporting oxygen into your blood. Think of the damaged cells as a toll both: if you damage some of the toll booths, their ability to get cars through the toll gates is lessened. Same thing with those cells and oxygen transport: you damage the cells, they can't transport as much oxygen.

Also, I have no idea why your mother hasn't thought of using oxygen based bleaches. It's PH is around 8 and it is much safer for you and the environment. In some cases, it is more effective than regular bleach, to boot! It's a no brainer, imo, to switch to that kind of bleach.

I posted a link that has benefits and advantages of oxygen bleach over regular bleach. Take a look at it.

Also, the oxygen based bleaches are much safer, but still are probably poisonous. I don't recomend ingesting them or leaving them on your skin for long periods of time. lol The containers should have warnings on what to do if you ingest them.

Z Kai
So, what are the benefits of regular bleach if Oxygen based bleach can do any benefit it can do? Why are companies still selling them?

Well with my mom/brother it's just ignorance. They aren't into these kind of things and as a result, they end up doing stupid things.

My brother...well despite hypocritically criticizing me for wanting to be "clean" as much as possible, he's the one extensively cleaning himself and often actually does things that make me gape, like cleaning an entire bathroom with bleach just because he dropped some drops of urine on the floor or the toilet slightly overflew after his bomb clogged it up.

So in his effort to be so "clean" he went ahead and just used whatever cleaner spray was in the bathroom. Throw impatience into the equation and you have someone who's spraying something he doesn't know jack of. This is extremely stupid. Even just a minute ago reading about bleach it is highly recommended reading a spray's contents as it may have bleach in it, which......................you should use in very very rare situations, that is if oxygen based bleach EVEN ISN'T around. Now that it is, wtf? Why the hell is this still even the freaking market for?

So yeah, brother = more obsessive about microorganisms than me, and, well, isn't too bright on the subject either.

Mom, is about 60 and very old fashioned. She really isn't up-to-date with anything, is fairly ignorant no offense to her as she's lived most of her life in Egypt which is a shit country, and well she pretty much only cares about the future of her three kids, me being one of them. However I ponder the future of my brother who thinks spraying chlorine-based sprays in small un-ventilated bathrooms is an OK-thing. He even admitted he knew it was bleach before using it and still used it, but then realized he probably should not have as it was causing him to cough. Oh well.

He said he's not going to use it anymore. Then again it didn't seem like it's an effort he wanted to make and instead said it to please me (as I was fairly pissed at his actions). I'll remind my mom not to get that shit in general. Hell I'll probably just dispose all the bleach shit in my house and tell her to get oxygen-based bleach only unless she wants her kids to die.

Sorry if this posts sounds wack it's just that I can't believe my brother did what he did. I mean he didn't seem to have sprayed a lot but still, wtf. Bleach vapors man. What an idiot.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Dave_97
i agree.

pickles are fantastic! I like Dragons. Why can't they be real?

Dave_97
I like Dragons. Why can't they be real? because nobody loves you john.

nobody.

Rogue Jedi
because nobody loves you john.

nobody. DDM does.

Dave_97
NOBODY!
JOHN, NOBODY!
NOT EVEN ANYBODY! old

Rogue Jedi
K.

StarCraft2
I thought the title says Sodium Hypocrite

Z Kai
Lol.

Anyway, I was doing a search on oxygen bleach cleaners for bathrooms like tubs and sinks.

But every time I use a store's engine I get Bleach manga and DVD's as results lol.

Can anyone start me off?

I already have Oxiclean and chlorine-free Clorox for clothes. Now I just need the bathroom kind.

dadudemon
DDM does.

Like a brother. thumbup

mikeydude
because nobody loves you john.

nobody.
I do.

Robtard
Originally posted by dadudemon
Like a brother. thumbup

So it would be like incest then, gross. You're both so ****ing gross.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by mikeydude
I do. I'm his hero, he just won't admit it.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
So it would be like incest then, gross. You're both so ****ing gross.

Moar gay fantasies of yours? YOU'RE SICK! YOU'RE SICK PEOPLE! mad

Besides, Johnny is too hairy...and he's a male. No likey teh butthairz.

Rogue Jedi
Rob was wet dreaming out loud again.

mikeydude
I'm his hero, he just won't admit it.
Hey, No. None of that.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by mikeydude
Hey, No. None of that. Yeah boyeeeeee.

mikeydude
Yeah boooooiiiiii.
There I fixed it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.