Kevin Smith talks Superman.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Nuul
vgYhLIThTvk

The Nuul
w_EkvOCjc9A

Ladies_Man_666
Originally posted by The Nuul
vgYhLIThTvk

Dude, that was hilarious!

The Nuul
Returns also sucked because of Peters. I didnt know he was part of this with Singer.

Peters and Superman

In his Q&A/comedy DVD, An Evening With Kevin Smith, writer/director Kevin Smith relates an anecdote about working with Peters when he was hired to write a script for a new Superman movie, then called Superman Reborn, and would later be renamed Superman Lives. According to Smith, before being hired to draft a screenplay he had to meet with Peters, the project's producer. During this meeting, Peters expressed disdain for most of Superman's iconic characteristics by demanding that Superman was never to fly or appear in his trademark costume. He also suggested Sean Penn as being ideal for the role, based on his performance as a violent death row inmate in Dead Man Walking saying that Penn had the eyes of a "caged animal, a ****ing killer," even though Superman is known for refusing to ever kill. Peters then demanded that if Smith were to write a script, the third act of the film would have to include Superman fighting a giant spider, to be unveiled in an homage to King Kong. It's been noted that years later Peters produced Wild Wild West which contained the giant spider.

Smith says he met with Peters again after finishing an 80-page outline, which Peters asked him to read aloud in its entirety. Peters then instructed him to include a robot sidekick for Brainiac (who would speak with a stereotypical homosexual lisp), a fight scene between Brainiac and two polar bears, and a marketable "space dog" pet for Lex Luthor, similar to Star Wars character Chewbacca. While Smith, against his own judgment, acquiesced to Peters' demands and inserted them into his script, the project eventually was abandoned and the script discarded.

In Look, Up in the Sky: The Amazing Story of Superman, Jon Peters admitted that the Superman franchise was problematic for him: "The elements that I was focusing on were away from the heart, it was more leaning towards Star Wars in a sense, you know. I didn't realize the human part of it, I didn't have that." He subsequently served as Executive Producer for Superman Returns, the 2006 movie directed by Bryan Singer.

darthmaul1
What's funny is the fact the guy has no idea, who kal-el is and the other superman names.

-Pr-
The sad part is, Smith later admitted that a giant spider would have actually worked in Superman Returns...

The Nuul
Where?

-Pr-
Originally posted by The Nuul
Where?

when he was talking about Superman Returns in one of his shows someone remarked about it and he agreed that John Peters turned out to be right. All in jest of course.

Omega Vision
A giant spider would have made it a lot less boring.

Q99
There's nothing wrong with Superman fighting something like a robot spider. It's the other stuff that was the problem.

The Nuul
Originally posted by Q99
There's nothing wrong with Superman fighting something like a robot spider. It's the other stuff that was the problem.

If there was Toy Man then sure.

Bouboumaster
Smith is a God among men

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Q99
It wasn't supposed to be a robot spider as far as I can tell though. It was just going to be a giant spider which Smith suggested they call a Thanagarian Snarebeast. (Awesome name btw, I hope it appears in DC comics one day).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.