Costumes: goofy or functional?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
It's a simple question: do you prefer it when a costume is goofy, unrealistic, etc or do you prefer when it's more toned down, functional, practical, etc?

Personally I think it works on a case by case basis. For Streets and Metas I prefer functional (unless there's an actual reason --like Batman's cape doubling as a hang glider-- no street should ever wear a cape, see Dollar Bill from Watchmen for a reason why stick out tongue) but for Heralds I think that functional is just stupid, like Kon-El wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

Warlord
for some reason, reading your post I imagined Surfer with jeans and t-shirt

Omgu8mynewt
Cyclops: "Super heroes wear costumes. And quite frankly, all that black leather was making people nervous"

For once I agree with him

Entity
Like heralds need anything goofy looking. Quite frankly I love that Conner just wears jeans and a tee. I mean why the hell would he need to change into or wear something ridiculous to be a hero? I've personally always thought Superman's cape was just a completely moronic idea. If I was a hero i can't see me wearing anything unless it served as some kind of functionality. The symbol would be the only important part of my costume if I had that level of power if I even cared to add that.

Stoic
Originally posted by Omgu8mynewt
Cyclops: "Super heroes wear costumes. And quite frankly, all that black leather was making people nervous"

For once I agree with him

The surfer should be sporting a costume IMO, well nothing goofy, but a pair of pants, and some boots would do, because it appears that he is lacking a certain body part. I mean look at Dr. Manhattan, why in the world would a hero walk around with his dork exposed?

Guys like Wolverine look better without the costume, while guys like Batman who need to protect their secret ID's should wear one. The costume in many cases are used to protect the people in the hero's life, as seen with Spiderman. This is exactly why I always thought that Supers should marry Supers.

SamZED
For some people costumes is their trademark. I cant imagine Spider-man or Batman doing their thing while wearing jeans and tshirt. Sure they can but it wont feel right. While Logan doesnt really need to wear his ostume to set an exxample. IMO he looks better with a jacket and a cigar in his mouth..

-Pr-
Originally posted by Entity
Like heralds need anything goofy looking. Quite frankly I love that Conner just wears jeans and a tee. I mean why the hell would he need to change into or wear something ridiculous to be a hero? I've personally always thought Superman's cape was just a completely moronic idea. If I was a hero i can't see me wearing anything unless it served as some kind of functionality. The symbol would be the only important part of my costume if I had that level of power if I even cared to add that.

the cape is an essential part of the costume, as it makes him easier to see.

plus, it looks wicked awesome while flying.

Omega Vision
Yeah functionality becomes quaint when you can push planets and fly at FTL.

Nothing says "I'm more exciting than you are" like a cape.

CosmicComet
Yeah functional clothes are just something I associate with lower tiers.

Which is why Wonderman's costume annoys me. Sure there is a big red W on his top but his whole attire is too plain looking on a class 100 guy.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Omega Vision
It's a simple question: do you prefer it when a costume is goofy, unrealistic, etc or do you prefer when it's more toned down, functional, practical, etc?

Personally I think it works on a case by case basis. For Streets and Metas I prefer functional (unless there's an actual reason --like Batman's cape doubling as a hang glider-- no street should ever wear a cape, see Dollar Bill from Watchmen for a reason why stick out tongue) but for Heralds I think that functional is just stupid, like Kon-El wearing jeans and a t-shirt. http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6379/razorback001df6.jpg

Omega Vision
^ Now that's what I'm talking about.
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Yeah functional clothes are just something I associate with lower tiers.

Which is why Wonderman's costume annoys me. Sure there is a big red W on his top but his whole attire is too plain looking on a class 100 guy.
Or pretty much every member of Young Justice at one point or another.

****ing teenagers. sneer

Bentley
I love my characters goofy as hell, if they can wear purple masks an green suits that look like giant "shoot me" tags, it's even better.

As stupid as it sounds I tend to like characters better if they dress in goofy colors. awesr

Dreampanther
Depends on the character and the costume for me. Batman's outfit is functional, as he designed it to be dark and threatening - specifically to scare the sh!t out of bad guys creeping around in the night.

The Punisher and Lobo works for me too - Lobo has the biker thing going for him while the Punisher is usually in combat gear - he only added the skull so the bad guys would know who it was that ended them.

Superman comes from an alien planet where they wore weird-ass outfits anyway - what was in fashion there doesn't have to make sense here.

Chicks wearing skimpy outfits like Black Canary also works for me - Modesty Blaise called it The Nailer - she would take her top off before walking into a room - then, for the couple of seconds while the bad guys' eyes were nailed to her boobilicious chest, she'd be nailing them - right through the head.

In most cases I don't have a problem with a costume - except if they don't update them. The same way that we don't wear hippy outfits from the 60's or disco outfits from the 70's anymore, there is nothing wrong with updating costumes to reflect a more modern age - like that latex costume Silk Spectre wears in Watchmen...

Gulp, umm, speaking of which - I think I need to go and have a quick lie-down now... evil face

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by SamZED
For some people costumes is their trademark. I cant imagine Spider-man or Batman doing their thing while wearing jeans and tshirt. Sure they can but it wont feel right. While Logan doesnt really need to wear his ostume to set an exxample. IMO he looks better with a jacket and a cigar in his mouth.. Spider-Man's costume is so over the top and out there that it defines who he is. He can do missions without it from time to time, but he should keep his.

I think they should have a larger wardrobe with everyone instead of them wearing the same thing every day.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by Omega Vision

Personally I think it works on a case by case basis. For Streets and Metas I prefer functional (unless there's an actual reason --like Batman's cape doubling as a hang glider-- no street should ever wear a cape, see Dollar Bill from Watchmen for a reason why stick out tongue) but for Heralds I think that functional is just stupid, like Kon-El wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

i feel Kon-El's look is not bad...

truthfully i feel it really depends per character for example sure batman has the cape for the above mentioned reason....and other reasons of course lol but just look at the insider....he has no cape and he's just fine....of course bruce does not need the cape in that suit but instead of using a cape what was stopping him from using a suit like that of the insider before(except modded to look like a bat of course).....it seems far more functional and on that basis i feel the cape is a great thing for the character of batman not because of it's function but because of how it makes the persona look.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Bentley
I love my characters goofy as hell, if they can wear purple masks an green suits that look like giant "shoot me" tags, it's even better.

As stupid as it sounds I tend to like characters better if they dress in goofy colors. awesr kang does indeed look like shit

Bentley
Originally posted by psycho gundam
kang does indeed look like shit

I was talking about the Riddler, Kang's mask is blue biscuits

Estacado
Costumes are lame unless you look like Spawn.

Warlord
daredevil wears the best costume ever

Bentley
You mean this?

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/77/399926-184842-reddevil.jpg

Warlord
u know, I was expecting this...stick out tongue
Moon Knight's costume looks great too

Mindship
I prefer functional, especially if it looks "natural" in context (eg, Surfer's glaze, Hulk's pants). I also generally prefer simpler costumes.

I do like Spider-Man's traditional garb (as far as spandex goes). But one of the best of the more traditional superhero suits is Bale's Batman's suit. It looks cool and realistic in live action. No primary-color girlieman tights or outer-undies.

SamZED
Originally posted by Warlord
u know, I was expecting this...stick out tongue
Moon Knight's costume looks great too Yeah it looks awesome, especially when they draw shadows on the mask.

Warlord
Originally posted by SamZED
Yeah it looks awesome, especially when they draw shadows on the mask.

thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.