RED (Retired, Extremely Dangerous)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dreampanther
Based on the cult D.C. Comics graphic novels by Warren Ellis and Cully Hamner, RED is an action-comedy starring Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich and Helen Mirren.

Having seen this film last night, I can say without a doubt it is one of the best action films (with a tasty sprinkling of humour) I have ever seen - not just this year, but EVER.

John Malkovich is a paranoid freak (as you would be too if somebody had been secretly dosing you with LSD for eleven years), Bruce Willis takes out entire hit-squads without even bothering to change out of his nightgown, (and that scene where he steps out of the moving car made my jaw drop to the ground), Morgan Freeman is still the coolest cat on the block and seeing Dame Helen Mirren letting loose with a heavy-calibre machine gun is one of the hottest things I have ever seen a classy, elegant, grand old lady do.

Anybody else seen it? What did you think? After The Expendables, The A-Team and The Losers this year, I really think 2010 has become the year of the heavy hitters, the year of the action team-ups - the year that makes me happy to be alive to watch my favourite action heroes team up in some of the best ass-kicking roles I have ever seen.

Kazenji
I've read up on the movie its suppose to be still decent even if they have changed the tone from the graphic novel.

jinXed by JaNx
I didn't know this was a comic. I liked the movie quite a bit. Cool action and some great laughs.

roughrider
I read RED in under a half hour, at a bookstore. It was slight, and only dealt with the character played by Bruce Willis. If it was prose, it would have been a novella. So no wonder they created all these new characters played by John Malkovich, Helen Mirren and Morgan Freeman - they needed to fill the story out.

Q99
Originally posted by roughrider
I read RED in under a half hour, at a bookstore. It was slight, and only dealt with the character played by Bruce Willis. If it was prose, it would have been a novella. So no wonder they created all these new characters played by John Malkovich, Helen Mirren and Morgan Freeman - they needed to fill the story out.

It was originally one of a series of short 3-issue comics he did. The first TPB release had it paired with another story (Tokyo Storm Warning), plus there was a second collection (Reload/Mek).

_
It's different from the comic, but in a fun way, while the inspiration's still there. I liked it, a movie with the original tone would've been much darker.

Entity
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Based on the cult D.C. Comics graphic novels by Warren Ellis and Cully Hamner, RED is an action-comedy starring Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich and Helen Mirren.

Having seen this film last night, I can say without a doubt it is one of the best action films (with a tasty sprinkling of humour) I have ever seen - not just this year, but EVER.

John Malkovich is a paranoid freak (as you would be too if somebody had been secretly dosing you with LSD for eleven years), Bruce Willis takes out entire hit-squads without even bothering to change out of his nightgown, (and that scene where he steps out of the moving car made my jaw drop to the ground), Morgan Freeman is still the coolest cat on the block and seeing Dame Helen Mirren letting loose with a heavy-calibre machine gun is one of the hottest things I have ever seen a classy, elegant, grand old lady do.

Anybody else seen it? What did you think? After The Expendables, The A-Team and The Losers this year, I really think 2010 has become the year of the heavy hitters, the year of the action team-ups - the year that makes me happy to be alive to watch my favourite action heroes team up in some of the best ass-kicking roles I have ever seen.

Agreed! I also saw it friday night and LOVED IT!

Hell my girlfriend even did and she's normally not into action movies like I am.

The Nuul
This movie SUCKED, Losers is way better.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by The Nuul
This movie SUCKED, Losers is way better. crylaugh

Kazenji
This movie SUCKED, Losers is way better.

For you maybe it did

despite all the good reviews

and also theres already a thread for this movie i remember making one.

Mr. Rhythmic
Actually, all people have told me is to avoid "Red".

The Nuul
Originally posted by Kazenji
For you maybe it did

despite all the good reviews

and also theres already a thread for this movie i remember making one.

Reviews is not what makes a movie good or not.

srankmissingnin
The part where Bruce steps out of the spinning car and opens fire on Carl Urban was a stunning piece of choreography.

Kazenji
Reviews is not what makes a movie good or not.

Yeah well if you say its a bad movie does'nt mean it is for others

and besides some of the reviews that i have seen have given the movie 3 or 4 out of 5 stars.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.