Halloween Cancelled/Moved for AZ?!?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

spydergirl
Ok, I don't want to go insulting people or their religions but I'm seriously getting pissed off and I'm sure alot of people in Arizona are too.
I would like to know why mormons get to move all of the holidays just because it falls on a Sunday. That doesn't seem fair. They moved the 4th of July to the 3rd and alot of people missed the fireworks this year.
And now they are messing up Halloween! I love halloween! Its my favorite time of year and I don't know what gives people the right to think that just because a a Mormon is part of the AZ government, we have to change everything so they can be happy. Life isn't fair for everyone and changing it so everyone elses life sucks but all their lives are great REALLY BLOWS!!!! mad mad

Again: I'm sorry if I insulted anyone, but using God as a reason to get what you want makes me sick. sick

Shakyamunison
What? eek!

What day did they move it too?

Quiero Mota
I live in Phoenix, and nobody seems to really give a shit. The rest of us are still gonna celebrate and get drunk on the 31st.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I live in Phoenix, and nobody seems to really give a shit. The rest of us are still gonna celebrate and get drunk on the 31st.
This seems like a good reason to celebrate and get drunk on both day. Double the pleasure. wink

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by spydergirl
I would like to know why mormons get to move all of the holidays just because it falls on a Sunday. That doesn't seem fair.

Are Mormons making it illegal to celebrate on Sundays or something?

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Are Mormons making it illegal to celebrate on Sundays or something?

Yes. Some of the smaller towns in AZ have a large Mormon population, and the more militant ones wanna tweak local laws to suit their beliefs. And they realistically can because some church members are on the city boards. But that shit won't fly in the bigger cities like Phoenix, Yuma or Tucson.

There's even a dry county in Nevada, the same state that has Sin City. Why? Mormons in the local govt.

RE: Blaxican
So... separation of Church and State does not apply in this situation because...?

Symmetric Chaos
Yes. Some of the smaller towns in AZ have a large Mormon population, and the more militant ones wanna tweak local laws to suit their beliefs. And they realistically can because some church members are on the city boards. But that shit won't fly in the bigger cities like Phoenix, Yuma or Tucson.

There's even a dry county in Nevada, the same state that has Sin City. Why? Mormons in the local govt.

Oh, wow. Around here the worst it gets is people refusing to send their kids in when schools are celebrating Halloween.

spydergirl
I just think if your religion falls on a holiday, then you have to figure out which is more important, Your religion or that holiday. Not mess it up for the rest of us.

Parmaniac

There's even a dry county in Nevada, the same state that has Sin City. Why? Mormons in the local govt. Reading stuff like this always makes me feel that we are falling back into middle ages step by step.

Lord Lucien
I just think if your religion falls on a holiday, then you have to figure out which is more important, Your religion or that holiday. Not mess it up for the rest of us. How dare you do something you want on a day that other people don't want you to do it on. You're a monster.

spydergirl
So just because someone wants to pray, the rest of us have to sit around and wait for that person to finish and say its ok for us to have fun again?
Anyone who thinks they can do that is the monster

Lord Lucien
So just because someone wants to pray, the rest of us have to sit around and wait for that person to finish and say its ok for us to have fun again? Yes. You have no right to force your beliefs on them. No one does. If Mormons are frightened of Halloween, you are legally and morally obliged to cease and desist.
Anyone who thinks they can do that is the monster Mormons can't be monsters. Only the tribe of Israel that had their skin turned red by God are monsters. And as red is the color of the devil, and the devil is a popular Halloween costume--no Halloween. You monster.

BackFire
Ignore them?

dadudemon
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
So... separation of Church and State does not apply in this situation because...?

Because there's still a thing called "democracy."

And, I don't see why people just don't "ignore them." Most people around here are doing their "trick or treat" on Saturday night, anyway. They did this without a law. no expression Anyway, those types of Mormons are my favorite to argue with: they are usually stupid.

spydergirl
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Yes. You have no right to force your beliefs on them. No one does. If Mormons are frightened of Halloween, you are legally and morally obliged to cease and desist.
Mormons can't be monsters. Only the tribe of Israel that had their skin turned red by God are monsters. And as red is the color of the devil, and the devil is a popular Halloween costume--no Halloween. You monster.

They have no right to force their beliefs on us. We should have holidays when its scheduled. If people are scared of halloween then why move it one day earlier? huh?

Anyone can be a monster. Just because your mormon doesn't give you some type of imunity toward sin. You can still cause harm, be reckless and be dumb.

I bet your mormon and calling me a 'monster' and saying that the religion Israel has 'the skin of the devil' is just showing everyone how dumb-minded your religion is. you only care about yourseves when you give away all that crap about loving everyone. its all a bunch of BS

ADarksideJedi
That does not seen reasonable at all.Halloween is still going on here even if it is on a Sunday and another thing is that Halloween is actly All soul's day so I don't see why anyone would cancel halloween.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
That does not seen reasonable at all.Halloween is still going on here even if it is on a Sunday and another thing is that Halloween is actly All soul's day so I don't see why anyone would cancel halloween.

All Souls Day is the day after Halloween.

MildPossession
So you are going to let the Mormons stop children having fun and letting them onto YOUR PRIVATE PROPERTY/DRIVEWAY to trick or treat? and are the Mormons going to ban you from celebrating Halloween via a party or whatever in YOUR OWN HOUSE?

I wouldn't have it. Ignore them and celebrate your Halloween.

Bicnarok
That a group like the Mormons can get so much respect, their members can get to government and influence things is sure evidence of the insanity in parts of the world.

Halloween was being celebrated way before Jesus was even born, ok not in the way it is today.

AbnormalButSane
In my town, Halloween is often not celebrated on October 31 if it is not convenient. It has nothing to do with god....It's often so the parents can take their children out on a night that's not right before they have to wake up early to go to work...Like Sunday.

Edit: Also, love your avatar.

Bardock42
What does the government offer during Halloween that it can reschedule it?

RE: Blaxican
They have no right to force their beliefs on us. We should have holidays when its scheduled. If people are scared of halloween then why move it one day earlier? huh?

Anyone can be a monster. Just because your mormon doesn't give you some type of imunity toward sin. You can still cause harm, be reckless and be dumb.

I bet your mormon and calling me a 'monster' and saying that the religion Israel has 'the skin of the devil' is just showing everyone how dumb-minded your religion is. you only care about yourseves when you give away all that crap about loving everyone. its all a bunch of BS Man, you just... totally went for it, didn't you? no expression

Bardock42

I bet your mormon and calling me a 'monster' and saying that the religion Israel has 'the skin of the devil' is just showing everyone how dumb-minded your religion is. you only care about yourseves when you give away all that crap about loving everyone. its all a bunch of BS

Wow, you are not good at detecting sarcasm...

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bardock42

Legal virgin's blood.

JacopeX
Did you know halloween is a religious holiday?

I'm sure the fundamental morons didn't know. stick out tongue

Bardock42
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Legal virgin's blood.

Virgin blood's not legal all year round in the US? What kind of backward country are you?

BackFire
You just have to know where to get it.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Man, you just... totally went for it, didn't you? no expression Hook line and sinker.

dadudemon
The Mormons ain't so bad: it's just far more convenient to have it on Saturday rather than Sunday.

Almost all of those people go to church, including the obvious majority of Mormons (which is why democracy, thankfully, prevailed in those small towns) and it's more convenient for them to celebrate it the night before. That's exactly what my city did, where I live, and it was great. On Sunday, even the atheists (there's an atheist chapter in my city, right up the street) wanted to celebrate it on Saturday night rather than Sunday. Several reasons: some people like to sleep on Sunday because the next day is an early morning for them: they don't want little kids knocking on their door or ringing their doorbell. Some people have NFL games they'd like to watch. Other people work on Sundays and want to spend time with their children. Still, others, just found it more convenient in one way or another, to celebrate on Sunday.

Myself personally?

I wouldn't have been able to take my children out to trick or treat.

There's no rule in my religion about not trick or treating on Sunday. None. No where. There are no decrees or anything like that.

And, as MildP. suggested, do your sh*t on any day you want to. Hell, you can trick or treat on any day of the year you want and, sometimes, the people that answer will still give you sh*t. Yes, I'm serious: tried it myself with my homies, back in the day.

King Kandy
Everybody where I live is going to celebrate halloween on the actual day it's on. I really doubt that if there were no Mormons at work on this issue, people would have decided all on their own selves that everyone should reschedule to a day earlier. This is religious favoritism plain and simple. Should not have happened.

dadudemon
Originally posted by King Kandy
Everybody where I live is going to celebrate halloween on the actual day it's on. I really doubt that if there were no Mormons at work on this issue, people would have decided all on their own selves that everyone should reschedule to a day earlier. This is religious favoritism plain and simple. Should not have happened.

Why should it not have happened?

Are you saying that there is a constituational right of celebration to a "non-national holiday"? (Because, democracy should prevail.)

You do realize that if anyone gave a **** about it, they COULD protest it, or celebrate it on the day they wanted, wait to get in trouble with the law, and hire a first amendment lawyer*, and sue the municipality, right?

And why did my own city, where Mormons are vastly outnumbered, chose to do it on Saturday, as well?

*Yes, there are first amendment lawyers.

BackFire
So how did they spread the word in those towns that changed it to Saturday? And what if someone wasn't aware and goes around on Sunday? Do they get in trouble/yelled at/raped? Or is it just basically accepted that you can do it on either day in those towns?

If so, that's pretty cool. Two halloweens, yeah? That means 2 days of girls in nice whorish costumes instead of 1. Sign me up.

dadudemon
Originally posted by BackFire
So how did they spread the word in those towns that changed it to Saturday? And what if someone wasn't aware and goes around on Sunday? Do they get in trouble/yelled at/raped? Or is it just basically accepted that you can do it on either day in those towns?

If so, that's pretty cool. Two halloweens, yeah? That means 2 days of girls in nice whorish costumes instead of 1. Sign me up.

They had it on the news and in the paper. It also spreads via word of mouth.

I only had two groups of children come to my home, before I took my kids out. I gave each kid a dadudemon sized handful of candy from a big ol' bowl. They kids told me I was the most awesome house ever. hahahaha

BackFire
So what happens if people go out tomorrow anyways? Will they get in trouble?

dadudemon
Originally posted by BackFire
So what happens if people go out tomorrow anyways? Will they get in trouble?

Not in my town.

But I bet you in some of those Arizona towns, there might be a fine or something.

Well, there may be a fine on the books, but it probably won't be enforced. Think of it as being similar to lighting 'big' fireworks in a city that has that "outlawed." I've been at another's home 2 times, now, in two different cites, and the police just ask you to stop: they don't fine you unless you do it after they asked you to stop. (No one wants to be the douche that tells you to stop celebrating the most patriotic holiday of the year.)

I plan to give candy to anyone that comes by my house, tomorrow (really, tonight, but, meh) of course.

Bardock42
Well, I think it's perfectly fine to celebrate whenever you want, I don't think the government should be included though. I don't know to what extent that happened here, but it shouldn't, it is an issue that should be dealt with amongst the people. If Mormons (and other religious people) don't want to do it on the 31st, rally for people to do it the day before, don't get the government involved.

King Kandy
Originally posted by dadudemon
Why should it not have happened?

Are you saying that there is a constituational right of celebration to a "non-national holiday"? (Because, democracy should prevail.)

You do realize that if anyone gave a **** about it, they COULD protest it, or celebrate it on the day they wanted, wait to get in trouble with the law, and hire a first amendment lawyer*, and sue the municipality, right?

And why did my own city, where Mormons are vastly outnumbered, chose to do it on Saturday, as well?

*Yes, there are first amendment lawyers.
Yeah, and I think that's exactly what they should do (sue). This was obviously a religiously motivated change. The fact that this never popped up in years prior should demonstrate the effect mormon activists had on it.

MildPossession
Well did the topic starter celebrate?

inimalist
if the government stepped in to enfore Halloween on the 31st, isn't that more of a conflict between church and state than people just deciding to do it on another day?

though I do agree, if the AZ govt at any level was saying they had to move halloween for religious reasons, that is lame. Not from the church and state thing, but why the hell is the government involved in halloween? (I guess, maybe extra police? though that seems unnecessary...)

King Kandy
Originally posted by inimalist
though I do agree, if the AZ govt at any level was saying they had to move halloween for religious reasons, that is lame.
Illegal, too.

inimalist
Originally posted by Bardock42

this, though

Darth Jello
So in AZ, they are the requisite farty religious ass holes who try to ruin haloween and have the worst candy anyway/. Here's an easier solution. If you don't want your house egged and toilet papered, how about not handing out lameshitheartburnbrokenfilling candy instead of imposing your faith on everyone. Spend the extra 25 cents and splurge on something other than Bit-O-Honey and Sugar Daddys. I've got news for ya, if you give kids that hardened pink gum that tastes like furniture polish or those peanut things in the black and orange wax paper, you deserve whatever happens.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Darth Jello
So in AZ, they are the requisite farty religious ass holes who try to ruin haloween and have the worst candy anyway/. Here's an easier solution. If you don't want your house egged and toilet papered, how about not handing out lameshitheartburnbrokenfilling candy instead of imposing your faith on everyone. Spend the extra 25 cents and splurge on something other than Bit-O-Honey and Sugar Daddys. I've got news for ya, if you give kids that hardened pink gum that tastes like furniture polish or those peanut things in the black and orange wax paper, you deserve whatever happens.

I do not know what you are talking about:

Bit-O-Honey is good stuff.

On top of that, some of the best candy is the bubble gum, man! Double bubble, all the way, browski!

It's tootsie rolls that I think you're wanting to talk about. Lamest candy invented, imo.

BackFire
Anything that's not king sized is unacceptable.

Darth Jello
Seriously? Tootsie Rolls are awesome. Bit-O-Honey and Candy Corn, that's the real crap. Let's make a rule, if the candy you hand out is made entirely of corn syrup and honey, unidentifiable nut byproduct, gum, loose change, Yo-Go's, or brittle, you deserve retribution.

Licorice is something I'm conflicted on cause I like it and everyone who doesn't gives all their licorice flavored stuff to me which I like.

Omega Vision
They tried moving Halloween in my area too. The result was predictable: kids trick or treated on both days.

MildPossession
Ha ha, good.

The MISTER
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
This seems like a good reason to celebrate and get drunk on both day. Double the pleasure. wink thumbup
drunkghost1group smokin' vampire

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.