The Swastika and pop culture.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stoic
I'm not a Jewish person but, I've been noticing more and more that the Swastika is being placed in more and more in today's pop culture (movies, comic books, video games, music). I can't help but think how this affects the Jewish community, and how it would, or could be a huge eye sore on individuals who are still alive today, that survived the holocaust.

Is hate subtly being pushed on a generation that had nothing to do with what occurred in the past? Does anyone have an opinion on this growing trend, or am I just over reacting to something that has never disappeared?

Discuss.

Symmetric Chaos
So long as heroic characters aren't wearing it I don't really see the problem.

Kaibs
considering the Nazis didn't invent it I don't see why it matters, unless in these video games, movies and what not there are nazis. Then I suppose the Jews would probably be uncomfortable

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Stoic
I'm not a Jewish person but, I've been noticing more and more that the Swastika is being placed in more and more in today's pop culture (movies, comic books, video games, music). I can't help but think how this affects the Jewish community, and how it would, or could be a huge eye sore on individuals who are still alive today, that survived the holocaust.

Is hate subtly being pushed on a generation that had nothing to do with what occurred in the past? Does anyone have an opinion on this growing trend, or am I just over reacting to something that has never disappeared?

Discuss. Unless it's being using specifically in a Nazi context, then use of the swastika is inherently fine. It has a deeper meaning and history throughout various cultures. It's just been sullied by the Nazis.

Read: Swastika.

Traction
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
So long as heroic characters aren't wearing it I don't really see the problem.

inimalist
its just that we are moving away from a period where depicting the Nazis at all was inappropriate. People are comfortable enough with the holocaust now to deal with Nazis in their pop-culture.

dadudemon

Discuss.

One of my best friends has a huge swastika tattooed on his back.

Get this: it has nothing to do with racism or Nazis.

He's Nordic.

He believes in Thor, Odin, Ragnarok, etc. He's also one the coolest guys I've ever met.

Maybe Marvel comics should put the swastika on Thor or in his design to make a point? You know, to take BACK the swastika from evilness and bring it back to it's awesome roots.

That's my 2 cents.

Mindship
The swastika will always be a symbol of hate, death and destruction for those who went through the Holocaust, as well as for their children. I suspect it will also be such a symbol for those Jews (no matter how far removed) who identify very strongly with their faith and history, just as many such Jews still see the Cross as a symbol of antiSemitism (or, as another example, many blacks still see the Confederate flag as a symbol of prejudice). For the rest of the population, the swastika will become just another means of attracting attention, especially if there's a way it can generate revenue.

I wonder how long before "9/11" (or a symbol thereof) begins to pop up as irreverently.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Mindship
For the rest of the population, the swastika will become just another means of attracting attention, especially if there's a way it can generate revenue.

I don't think that's necessary true. Take your example of the Confederate flag. It was used all over the place in the Dukes of Hazzard (even by the good guys) and not for the purpose of generating controversy or attention.

I wonder how long before "9/11" (or a symbol thereof) begins to pop up as irreverently.

911 is already ingrained into American culture separately from terrorism.

Mindship
I don't think that's necessary true. Take your example of the Confederate flag. It was used all over the place in the Dukes of Hazzard (even by the good guys) and not for the purpose of generating controversy or attention.Bach's/Simpson's legs must've helped out with that one. Perhaps "the N-word" would've been a better example, given how only African-Americans are "allowed" to use it.

911 is already ingrained into American culture separately from terrorism. I stand corrected.

Discuss. What are some of the examples that bothered you?

Omega Vision

911 is already ingrained into American culture separately from terrorism.
More an just American culture, I've heard of reports where people in Australia and England dial 911 believing that's how you contact emergency services there due to being so immersed in American cop shows.

Mindship
Originally posted by Omega Vision
More an just American culture, I've heard of reports where people in Australia and England dial 911 believing that's how you contact emergency services there due to being so immersed in American cop shows. H'm. I think Chaos meant 9/11 as relating to the incident, at least that's how I meant it. Dialing 9-1-1, yes, has been well known in America (and apparently elsewhere) "for emergencies" long before the attacks (I doubt I'm the only one who still wonders if September 11 was actually chosen by Al Queda because of the emergency phone # reference).

Symmetric Chaos
H'm. I think Chaos meant 9/11 as relating to the incident, at least that's how I meant it.

I was referring to 9-1-1, the event really didn't cause anyone to shy away from it.

Dialing 9-1-1, yes, has been well known in America (and apparently elsewhere) "for emergencies" long before the attacks (I doubt I'm the only one who still wonders if September 11 was actually chosen by Al Queda because of the emergency phone # reference).

I've been told they were commemorating an attack against them.

inimalist
H'm. I think Chaos meant 9/11 as relating to the incident, at least that's how I meant it. Dialing 9-1-1, yes, has been well known in America (and apparently elsewhere) "for emergencies" long before the attacks (I doubt I'm the only one who still wonders if September 11 was actually chosen by Al Queda because of the emergency phone # reference).

It has to do with Muslim losses in Venice some 300 years ago... maybe longer, like 700... to lazy to wiki...

EDIT: Basically, the last day of Muslim occupation in Europe was Sept 10th

Deadline
Originally posted by dadudemon

He's Nordic.

He believes in Thor, Odin, Ragnarok, etc. He's also one the coolest guys I've ever met.

Maybe Marvel comics should put the swastika on Thor or in his design to make a point? You know, to take BACK the swastika from evilness and bring it back to it's awesome roots.

That's my 2 cents.

Cool story bro.

Liberator

He's Nordic.

That's my 2 cents.

That's pretty clever actually.

Kaibs

He's Nordic.

That's my 2 cents.

Take back the swasitka like Randal Graves took back "porch monkey" in Clerks 2? Lol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.