Captain America vs. Superman: The Ultimate Hero

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Black bolt z
1: Who would more likely sacrifice themself to save one person?

2: Who has a stronger will?

3: Who is more humble/noble?

4: Who is more idolized?

5: Who has preformed more evil/bad deeds?

6: Who would you rather be in comics?

7: Who would you rather be in real life?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Black bolt z

1. Is the person American? stick out tongue In seriousness though this one is a tie. They're both pretty selfless.

2. Superman.

3. Tie. Both of them have their douchebag moments.

4. Superman. Cap is just as idolized among fellow heroes but among the general public his reputation is stained by Civil War and propaganda.

5. Superman, especially if you're counting PC Superman and his dickery.

6. Superman.

7. Superman.

twizzlers713

cap for all except 5

marwash22
1: Cap.

2: dunno. Superman has been mindraped more, correct?

3: Cap. Superman is an uber-dbag.

4: Superman

5: Superman. Though, K is typically at the root.

6: Superman. Even when written at my weakest, I'd still be the shit.

7: Cap. Superman has too many things to hide. I can use Cap's powerset IRL without much suspicion. At worst, I'd be accused of using Roids, but at least i wouldn't have mofo's trying to disect me.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by marwash22

7: Cap. Superman has too many things to hide. I can use Cap's powerset IRL without much suspicion. At worst, I'd be accused of using Roids, but at least i wouldn't have mofo's trying to disect me.
They'd try to dissect you and fail miserably when all their instruments get blunted, assuming they ever even get you on the table...

You have no reason to hide IRL as Superman because there aren't such things as supervillains and all your weaknesses don't exist.

You could take over the world if you wanted to and no one could stop you.

marwash22
Originally posted by Omega Vision
They'd try to dissect you and fail miserably when all their instruments get blunted, assuming they ever even get you on the table...

You have no reason to hide IRL as Superman because there aren't such things as supervillains and all your weaknesses don't exist.

You could take over the world if you wanted to and no one could stop you. I was thinking more of keeping a lower profile. I would be famous for being a beast of an athlete, but wasn't considering exposing my powers. Being Superman IRL would be exhausting 'cause you would constantly have to hide everything you can do... that, or you could do as you say and take over the world. Then again, if you go that way, you'd still run into the issue of the government wanting to experiment on, study/use you for their own purposes.

Starscream M

ummm...that's not the reason superman hides his identity. erm

Starscream M
I was thinking more of keeping a lower profile. I would be famous for being a beast of an athlete, but wasn't considering exposing my powers. Being Superman IRL would be exhausting 'cause you would constantly have to hide everything you can do... that, or you could do as you say and take over the world. Then again, if you go that way, you'd still run into the issue of the government wanting to experiment on, study/use you for their own purposes. how would the government ever get to experiment on you?

King Castle
he said wanting as if he would be harassed and chased..

only one option declare yourself King of the world.

i'm not creedy King is enough dont need to be Emperor or God

marwash22
Originally posted by Starscream M
how would the government ever get to experiment on you? the point is that, even though i could wtfpwn them with ease, it would be a headache if anyone ever saw lasers shoot out of my eyes. I would be an enemy of the state (world).

Starscream M
the point is that, even though i could wtfpwn them with ease, it would be a headache if anyone ever saw lasers shoot out of my eyes. I would be an enemy of the state (world). the point is...it wouldn't be a headache.

you're a god. they can't do shit to you...aside from amusing you by their futility.

also, they would fear you after they fail to capture you.

marwash22
the point is...it wouldn't be a headache.

you're a god. they can't do shit to you...aside from amusing you by their futility.

also, they would fear you after they fail to capture you. the point is... you're not getting it. i PERSONALLY would not want to deal with that shit for the rest of my life. The goal for me would be living a normal life.

Omega Vision
the point is that, even though i could wtfpwn them with ease, it would be a headache if anyone ever saw lasers shoot out of my eyes. I would be an enemy of the state (world).
With your FTL speed you could make it so that no one would ever see you while using your powers. Don't even bother with a disguise.

Starscream M
the point is... you're not getting it. i PERSONALLY would not want to deal with that shit for the rest of my life. The goal for me would be living a normal life. you're weak...you don't deserve powers.

ugh.

Omega Vision
you're weak...you don't deserve powers.

Sounds like something Kevin Spacey Lex Luthor would say.

marwash22
Question: for number 7 on the list, are we assuming Clark Kent's identity and experience, or do we simply have Superman's abilities?

marwash22
you're weak...you don't deserve powers.

ugh. I'm weak because i don't want to kill/beat the hell out of innocent people? That's not something i would expect to hear from the guy would said the following:Originally posted by Starscream M
Neutrality is a luxury I cannot afford. I will always protect the weak.

Starscream M
I'm weak because i don't want to kill/beat the hell out of innocent people? That's not something i would expect to hear from the guy would said the following: no when the hell did I say I would beat the hell out of innocent people?

using my powers to fry people who are trying to experiment on me is totally different

you are weak because you have no ambition

with super powers you just want to live a normal life!!??? jesus

with super powers, I would run the world like a utopia.

D_Dude1210
I happen to agree with Marwash. Godlike powers would be sweet at the start but can quickly become a nightmare if you don't handle it properly.

Think about what happened to Dr M in Watchment. Complete and utter detachment from anything human we grow to cherish and love and being alone for as long as you live.

Add in the fact that you might accidentally kill innocent ppl just by sneezing wrong or by simply making an error of judgement on your flight path, you might just end up making enemeis of every person in the planet and might be forced to eventually either subjugate the world or just live with the fear and hatred of every person in the planet...

That said, I'd still want Supe's powers. Just would prolly REALLY hide my identity well. I'd prolly fake my own death (of my REAL self to protect my real family) then live out with a new identity just to be sure.

Starscream M
Originally posted by D_Dude1210

Add in the fact that you might accidentally kill innocent ppl just by sneezing wrong or by simply making an error of judgement on your flight path, you might just end up making enemeis of every person in the planet and might be forced to eventually either subjugate the world or just live with the fear and hatred of every person in the planet...
that would be a low price to pay to be a god

think, with superman's powers, I could do literally everything I wanted anytime I wanted

marwash22
no when the hell did I say I would beat the hell out of innocent people?

using my powers to fry people who are trying to experiment on me is totally different

with super powers, I would run the world like a utopia. So, you'd take away free will and diplomacy? I gotta say, I'm disappointed in you; I thought you were all about justice and protecting the weak... Creating a Utopia via brute force and fear mongering pretty much makes you villain.

As for killing/beating the crap out of people, if you expose yourself, people will come after you and you'll have to defend yourself. You're gonna kill someone eventually, even if it's by way of some country trying to nuke you, that blood will be on your hands.

Badabing
WTF is going on? Starscream, stop trolling and being such a stickler. Marwash is allowed to have an opinion different that yours. IMO, that means he's probably correct.

Noe, back to the topic.

Edit: biscuits

Starscream M
So, you'd take away free will and diplomacy? I gotta say, I'm disappointed in you; I thought you were all about justice and protecting the weak... Creating a Utopia via brute force and fear mongering pretty much makes you villain.

As for killing/beating the crap out of people, if you expose yourself, people will come after you and you'll have to defend yourself. You're gonna kill someone eventually, even if it's by way of some country trying to nuke you, that blood will be on your hands. again, you're misconstruing my points

I never said I'd take away free will

also, if I have to defend myself, I am only hurting people who are not considered innocent. why would blood be on my hands if someone is trying to kill me and I stop them? that makes no sense. by that logic, if someone breaks into someone's house and gets shot, you're gonna blame the homeowner?

I wouldn't force a utopian society on the world...more likely I would create a utopia on an island, and those who wish to join would be free to come, and those who don't won't have to. Nothing tyrannical about that.

Starscream M
Originally posted by Badabing
WTF is going on? Starscream, stop trolling and being such a stickler. Marwash is allowed to have an opinion different that yours. IMO, that means he's probably correct.

Noe, back to the topic.

Edit: biscuits Im not trolling..just having a discussion with marwash. he's a big boy.

srankmissingnin
With your FTL speed you could make it so that no one would ever see you while using your powers. Don't even bother with a disguise.

If you are going to use FTL speed in the real world, keeping a secret identity will be the least of your problems considering you will have destroyed the earth. evil face

Mindset
phuck earth, what has it ever done for me?

marwash22
also, if I have to defend myself, I am only hurting people who are not considered innocent. why would blood be on my hands if someone is trying to kill me and I stop them? that makes no sense. by that logic, if someone breaks into someone's house and gets shot, you're gonna blame the homeowner? No.

If you expose yourself for the godlike figure you are, governments/agencies/organizations would want to kill you based on fear. Once nukes started to fly, the casualties would start to pile up because you can't protect everyone. You would be directly responsible for the deaths of those people, all because you wanted to be seen as a God.

I wouldn't force a utopian society on the world...more likely I would create a utopia on an island, and those who wish to join would be free to come, and those who don't won't have to. Nothing tyrannical about that. that wasn't your original statement. You said you would rule with an iron fist because no one would dare challenge you. In your original statement, you came off as Kim Jong-Il.Originally posted by Mindset
phuck earth, what has it ever done for me? sustained your very existence with it's various resources. sneer

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Mindset
phuck earth, what has it ever done for me? see, this is how gas station workers think

D_Dude1210

think, with superman's powers, I could do literally everything I wanted anytime I wanted

And you get everything that you want. And you're happy the first 1-2 months of having powers.

Then what?

As Superman, you live pretty damned long...

Uriel005
IMO superman is more humble as with his powers it is so much easier to pull dickery throughout his career. I mean it's like Lolololol earth Where did I hide the sun.

marwash22
#4 definitely goes to Supes... both in comics and IRL.

rotiart

Captain America. On panel took a bullet to get a guard out of the way during civil war.

Captain America. While both have been brainwashed before, there are stories with Captain America in it shows him retaining some of his memories, or being one of, if not the easiest to rouse from the brainwashing.

History? Go back to early superman stories, and you see him dicking around with Jimmy Olsen.

Captain America. While some countries may view america with disdain, many view Superman as an outright alien. Think about the issues when they found all the survivors of Krypton and they were trying to make a place on earth. Also, while cap doesn't have the powerset, even gods and heralds will follow caps orders. Many people, (ie Vance) idolize Cap, and aspire to be like him. But while many envy Superman, noone can be like him unless they are born with his powerset.

Depends on the term "evil". Tie.

In comics, Captain America. My PIS is too strong.

Superman. Noone would know my weakness, thus I would be invincible. And if you even whispered that you knew my weakness. I'd hear it, game over for you.

Mindset
sustained your very existence with it's various resources. sneer Nope, I've sustained Earth.

marwash22
Originally posted by rotiart
And if you even whispered that you knew my weakness. I'd hear it, game over for you. i lol'd, i lol'd hard.

carver9

Captain America. On panel took a bullet to get a guard out of the way during civil war.

Captain America. While both have been brainwashed before, there are stories with Captain America in it shows him retaining some of his memories, or being one of, if not the easiest to rouse from the brainwashing.

History? Go back to early superman stories, and you see him dicking around with Jimmy Olsen.

Captain America. While some countries may view america with disdain, many view Superman as an outright alien. Think about the issues when they found all the survivors of Krypton and they were trying to make a place on earth. Also, while cap doesn't have the powerset, even gods and heralds will follow caps orders. Many people, (ie Vance) idolize Cap, and aspire to be like him. But while many envy Superman, noone can be like him unless they are born with his powerset.

Depends on the term "evil". Tie.

In comics, Captain America. My PIS is too strong.

Superman. Noone would know my weakness, thus I would be invincible. And if you even whispered that you knew my weakness. I'd hear it, game over for you.

The best statement on the board.

-Pr-
1. Is the person American? stick out tongue In seriousness though this one is a tie. They're both pretty selfless.

2. Superman.

3. Tie. Both of them have their douchebag moments.

4. Superman. Cap is just as idolized among fellow heroes but among the general public his reputation is stained by Civil War and propaganda.

5. Superman, especially if you're counting PC Superman and his dickery.

6. Superman.

7. Superman.

thumb up

hit the nail on the head.

with super powers, I would run the world like a utopia.

and end up like superman red son. good luck with that.

horrorwolf

Captain America...Superman's sacrifices have revolved around saving the city, personal friends and family and society as a whole.

Captain America. Superman however is on occasion more resistant due to his powerset.

Captain America.
Cap wins by default because Superman is constantly holding back his "true potential" he knows few people can really kill him in a life death situation. Cap can die much easier, and knows this in each and every battle he steps into.

Superman.

Toss up depending on the story.

Captain America.

Superman but it would suck in a lot of ways.

Omega Vision

Superman did more or less the same thing in Emperor Joker, where his will was so strong that even Joker's reality warping couldn't completely destroy his hold on the original, "true" reality.

punkgod70
Nope, I've sustained Earth.

If we could figure out a way to convert ego into energy this might one day be true. I'm working on it.

punkgod70
Actually that would eventually lead to ego bombs... the most powerful destructive force the world has ever seen. On the bright side, the US would be back on top again :P

Mshinu
Superman. Close, but I think in some cases Cap is more willing accept nececcary losses in order to complete a mission.

Cap.

Cap. Supes is a dick sometimes.

Generally Supes. Cap in the hero community.

Probably Supes.

Cap. I don`t think I could stand being married to Lois.

Supes. I`d keep a really low profile and use my powers sparingly. Enjoying life and gently nudging development. No need to rush things when you`re pretty much immortal.

D_Dude1210
I dunno. Don't know how someone with Superman's powers may be able to sustain "using one's powers sparingly". Anyone with a conscience would feel horrible seeing ppl die in fires, floods, earthquakes and tidal waves and other disasters knowing full well that you are the only one able to save them and you can do it easily.

It'd eat you up inside.

Eventually, you won't be able to take it anymore (without losing your soul) and tip your hand....

Then. Disaster.

marwash22
I dunno. Don't know how someone with Superman's powers may be able to sustain "using one's powers sparingly". Anyone with a conscience would feel horrible seeing ppl die in fires, floods, earthquakes and tidal waves and other disasters knowing full well that you are the only one able to save them and you can do it easily.

It'd eat you up inside.

Eventually, you won't be able to take it anymore (without losing your soul) and tip your hand....

Then. Disaster. i dont think people really thought about the question, they just got a hard-on at idea of having Superman's power-set.

-Pr-

It'd eat you up inside.

Then. Disaster.

you couldn't without some sort of mental impairment. basic human compassion means that you're going to be at least somewhat as busy as the real superman.

that said, i'd still take the powers. i'd rather have the power to change something and fail than not have even been able to try in the first place...

Starscream M
Originally posted by -Pr-

that said, i'd still take the powers. i'd rather have the power to change something and fail than not have even been able to try in the first place... yes...unlike Marwash, who'd prefer to sit at home watching tv and chomping on cheetos erm

D_Dude1210
you couldn't without some sort of mental impairment. basic human compassion means that you're going to be at least somewhat as busy as the real superman.

that said, i'd still take the powers. i'd rather have the power to change something and fail than not have even been able to try in the first place...

Agreed. I'd take Supe's powers, too.

Just saying that it's a HUGE burden to anyone with a conscience and ppl shudn't take it lightly.

To be honest, I'm not even sure I'd want to be faced with the choice of accepting such power and responsibility. I'm happy with my life now and having the fate of millions dropped on my lap would completely destroy my life.

marwash22

that said, i'd still take the powers. i'd rather have the power to change something and fail than not have even been able to try in the first place... that's not really the root question imo.

Taking Superman's powers is an option here; and by taking that option comes the responsibility to help people (or the general temptation of using his powers in everyday life), and by doing that comes the consequence of exposing yourself to the general public. By taking Cap's power-set, you'd likely never feel the obligation to help anyone cause you wouldn't be all that powerful... your general train of thought would be parlaying the Cap's abilities into fame and fortune.Originally posted by Starscream M
yes...unlike Marwash, who'd prefer to sit at home watching tv and chomping on cheetos erm who said anything about sitting at home? I'd use Cap's power-set to their fullest... point is, i wouldn't have to worry about the Global repercussions of doing so.Originally posted by D_Dude1210

Just saying that it's a HUGE burden to anyone with a conscience and ppl shudn't take it lightly.

To be honest, I'm not even sure I'd want to be faced with the choice of accepting such power and responsibility. I'm happy with my life now and having the fate of millions dropped on my lap would completely destroy my life. it's not just YOUR life that would get destroyed. By taking Superman's powers, you're pretty much guaranteeing that millions of people will die.

-Pr-
yes...unlike Marwash, who'd prefer to sit at home watching tv and chomping on cheetos erm

why are you bashing him?

To be honest, I'm not even sure I'd want to be faced with the choice of accepting such power and responsibility. I'm happy with my life now and having the fate of millions dropped on my lap would completely destroy my life.

it would destroy anyone's life. just depends on how much you'd be willimng to give up i suppose...

that's not really the root question imo.

Taking Superman's powers is an option here; and by taking that option comes the responsibility to help people (or the general temptation of using his powers in everyday life), and by doing that comes the consequence of exposing yourself to the general public. By taking Cap's power-set, you'd likely never feel the obligation to help anyone cause you wouldn't be all that powerful... your general train of thought would be parlaying the Cap's abilities into fame and fortune.

so you'd take cap's powers?

well yeah, that's true.

Starscream M
who said anything about sitting at home? I'd use Cap's power-set to their fullest... point is, i wouldn't have to worry about the Global repercussions of doing so.

What global repercussions?

Do you realize how much GOOD you can do as Superman?

You can bring about world peace....you can eliminate terrorism, you can reduce hunger, you can rescue millions when natural disasters strike...I could go on. Yet you'd rather be a peak human so you can get paid as an athlete? come on now roll eyes (sarcastic)

-Pr-

You can bring about world peace....you can eliminate terrorism, you can reduce hunger, you can rescue millions when natural disasters strike...I could go on. Yet you'd rather be a peak human so you can get paid as an athlete? come on now roll eyes (sarcastic)

it is not NEARLY that simple.

D_Dude1210

I think he knows that.

But you also need to know how much a BURDEN power like that can be.

I guess some ppl want to be rulers of the world. Some just want to live their lives for themselves and be happy.

Starscream M
I think he knows that.

But you also need to know how much a BURDEN power like that can be.

I guess some ppl want to be rulers of the world. Some just want to live their lives for themselves and be happy. its only a burden if you make it so

I mean as superman, if he needs a break, he could go be solitary for a week and do anything he wants.

-Pr-
its only a burden if you make it so

I mean as superman, if he needs a break, he could go be solitary for a week and do anything he wants.

except that all the people that died that you could have saved would be dead.

Omega Vision
The thing about being Superman is that it would be incredibly difficult to know where to draw the line as far as what you can and cannot do.

At a certain point if you help too much humanity would become dependent on you.

You might get bullshit like that one woman who slapped Superman for not saving her husband from cancer.

Still that being said I'd probably choose Superman.

Starscream M
except that all the people that died that you could have saved would be dead. so...they would be dead if you don't have superman's powers

in effect, given the choice, and you turn down superman's powers, you're also then responsible for the deaths of millions who you otherwise could've saved?

I don't buy that logic.

Omega Vision
so...they would be dead if you don't have superman's powers

in effect, given the choice, and you turn down superman's powers, you're also then responsible for the deaths of millions who you otherwise could've saved?

I don't buy that logic.
He's not saying you're responsible, just that it could have been prevented.

-Pr-
so...they would be dead if you don't have superman's powers

I don't buy that logic.

not the same thing, and that's no excuse for neglecting the people while you actually have superman's powers.

D_Dude1210
its only a burden if you make it so

In your break, thousands die as an earthquake hits a major metropolitan area in a southeast asian country, a woman gets raped and killed by gangmembers in LA, a baby and his mom gets run over by a drunk driver in Germany. War in Africa kills hundreds. You can hear terrorist plots all over the world, you can hear middle eastern gangsters kidnap and violate women for their flesh trade. Police officers get gunned down in a firefight....

You could hear all this because of your powers. You know you could have saved them all. Easily. But in your mind you needed to take that 20 mins to center yourself.

D_Dude1210

That's my point exactly. The RESPONSIBLE thing to do would be to accept the power needed to change the world.

But ppl need to appreciate that you've basically destroyed any chance you have for happiness by accepting the burden of absolute power.

Starscream M
In your break, thousands die as an earthquake hits a major metropolitan area in a southeast asian country, a woman gets raped and killed by gangmembers in LA, a baby and his mom gets run over by a drunk driver in Germany. War in Africa kills hundreds. You can hear terrorist plots all over the world, you can hear middle eastern gangsters kidnap and violate women for their flesh trade. Police officers get gunned down in a firefight....

You could hear all this because of your powers. You know you could have saved them all. Easily. But in your mind you needed to take that 20 mins to center yourself. so letting all that happen anyways by not taking superman's powers somehow leaves no burden? I'm not following that logic...

Starscream M

But ppl need to appreciate that you've basically destroyed any chance you have for happiness by accepting the burden of absolute power. I disagree with this point wholeheartedly

doctors aren't unhappy because they're not saving lives every second of their waking lives

nor would you be as superman...you accept that you are not going to be everywhere every second...and eventually you'll be happy knowing that you have saved many lives rather than focusing on the lives that you weren't able to save

Mindset
I disagree with this point wholeheartedly

doctors aren't unhappy because they're not saving lives every second of their waking lives
Some are.

Omega Vision
Some are.
Yeah some of them have nervous Blakedowns.

D_Dude1210
I disagree with this point wholeheartedly

nor would you be as superman...you accept that you are not going to be everywhere every second...and eventually you'll be happy knowing that you have saved many lives rather than focusing on the lives that you weren't able to save

Again, big difference here.

Doctors can go home knowing that some other guy will pick up the slack and that they need to refresh their physical bodies to be competent in their work (otherwise they risk doing more harm than good).

Having Superman's powers means that you're the only one with the power to save ppl all over the world. No one can pick up the slack. You're the only one who can do it. You also don't ever get physically tired so there's no risk of ever doing harm. With this, the line blurs.

Also, you have to deal with your loved one's dying and getting old as you don't age or get sick or can get hurt with anything. While they all get sick, get old and die. With all the adoration all over the world, you'll still be alone.

There's the temptation to be corrupted by your power as well. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. And you have a LOT of time to be corrupted by it as you don't age. Thing is if you go on a rampage and subjugate everyone. you will completely lose your soul. Sadly, as you don't age, the guilt would prolly eat you up and someday wake you up, then you'll have to spend eternity making up for your crimes.

In the end, I see suicide as the only way out here.

I can think of a dozen other scenarious that would make such power SUCK to have.

But you're still right. The responsible thing to do will be to take Supe's powers. No question about that.

godking

think, with superman's powers, I could do literally everything I wanted anytime I wanted Ralistically with Supermans powers there are only two real options for you.

1 Become a Tyrant.

2 Spend your life being hunted by people who fear you in real life no goverment would accept the idea of a living god dispensing justice as he sees fit.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by godking

2 Spend your life being hunted by people who fear you in real life no goverment would accept the idea of a living god dispensing justice as he sees fit.
Except you wouldn't be "hunted". Even the most powerful nukes we have can't kill Superman.

D_Dude1210
Except you wouldn't be "hunted". Even the most powerful nukes we have can't kill Superman.

You'll prolly hide so that ppl won't get hurt by YOU rather than you being hurt by ppl.

Edit. Actually, I think it would be more accurate to say that you hide so that ppl won't hurt THEMSELVES or others by trying to hurt you.

Omega Vision
You'll prolly hide so that ppl won't get hurt by YOU rather than you being hurt by ppl.

Edit. Actually, I think it would be more accurate to say that you hide so that ppl won't hurt THEMSELVES or others by trying to hurt you.
If push comes to shove you can mitigate the collateral damage of the Earth declaring war on you by taking out their biggest guns (Chemo, Bio, and Nuclear weapons) and throwing them into the sun.

D_Dude1210
True. Though they'll prolly just figure out another way to get themselves killed in an effort to take you out.

Humans are funny that way. big grin

Omega Vision
True. Though they'll prolly just figure out another way to get themselves killed in an effort to take you out.

Humans are funny that way. big grin
My money is on a gray goo type scenario.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo

D_Dude1210
My money is on a gray goo type scenario.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo

Another reason why Supe's powers can potentially totally SUCK.

Humanity wipes itself out by accident (or gets taken out by something you couldn't save it from like some uber disease or the aformentioned gray goo scenario) and surprise! surprise! YOU'RE indestructible...

I hope you like playing with yourself for all eternity.

That or suicide (not sure if Supes can even kill himself if he wanted to).

Black bolt z

with super powers, I would run the world like a utopia. Yeah....you try making a utopia.Tell me how it works out.

snyper1982
I don't see why everyone is acting like supes powers would be this huge burden. We all, everyone of us have the power to help people and save people, every single day. But none of us are wringing our hands about not doing it. We obviously can't do it on the scale of supes, but that is irrelevant to my point. They are only a burden in so far as you allow them to be one. I personally would have no problem with people dying while I was taking a break. One man can only do so much. Even Superman.

snyper1982
Another reason why Supe's powers can potentially totally SUCK.

Humanity wipes itself out by accident (or gets taken out by something you couldn't save it from like some uber disease or the aformentioned gray goo scenario) and surprise! surprise! YOU'RE indestructible...

I hope you like playing with yourself for all eternity.

That or suicide (not sure if Supes can even kill himself if he wanted to).

Whats to stop you from finding another planet with life?

marwash22
Originally posted by snyper1982
I don't see why everyone is acting like supes powers would be this huge burden. We all, everyone of us have the power to help people and save people, every single day. But none of us are wringing our hands about not doing it. We obviously can't do it on the scale of supes, but that is irrelevant to my point. They are only a burden in so far as you allow them to be one. I personally would have no problem with people dying while I was taking a break. One man can only do so much. Even Superman. you're completely missing the point. When i said you would be responsible for millions of lives, i wasn't referring to the people who die everyday of ordinary causes... what i was referring to is the millions of people who would die as a direct result of you exposing yourself as a Godlike figure.

If you start flying and saving people, some random Country/Military/Organization will see you as a threat and try to kill you. Sooner or later nukes will start to fly and casualties will pile up.

The only way to avoid this would be to not use the powers, in which case, it would just make more sense to pick Cap's abilities.

Silent Master

snyper1982
you're completely missing the point. When i said you would be responsible for millions of lives, i wasn't referring to the people who die everyday of ordinary causes... what i was referring to is the millions of people who would die as a direct result of you exposing yourself as a Godlike figure.

If you start flying and saving people, some random Country/Military/Organization will see you as a threat and try to kill you. Sooner or later nukes will start to fly and casualties will pile up.

I know what you are talking about, I just find that it is quite the assumption you are making... You don't know that it would play out that way. Even if the nukes did start flying, as superman you can easily stop them. So let them fly. Besides, you can't hold yourself responsible for others actions.

Silent Master
Oh please, religious fanatics already blow up innocent people because they don't like certain groups.

snyper1982
Originally posted by Silent Master
Oh please, religious fanatics already blow up innocent people because they don't like certain groups.

So if they are already doing it, how is it your fault that they continue to do so??? We were also talking about nukes. The common religious fanatic doesn't have acces to them.

Silent Master
So, you're admitting that using Superman's powers would end in innocent people dying.

Thank you.

marwash22
So if they are already doing it, how is it your fault that they continue to do so??? We were also talking about nukes. The common religious fanatic doesn't have acces to them. ninja please. all it takes is a pipe bomb... you can find directions for that shit on the internet.

Starscream M

you speak as if this were a certainty

it's not

I actually don't think any country would try to kill you...instead they would try to curry favor with you.

Silent Master

it's not

I actually don't think any country would try to kill you...instead they would try to curry favor with you.

And when you say no?

marwash22

it's not

I actually don't think any country would try to kill you...instead they would try to curry favor with you. Okay sure. So, you go work for the US government...

OH SHIT SON, USA has an unstoppable killing machine on their side...

Yeah, that's not gonna piss off any of the numerous Countries that hate the US.

Starscream M
And when you say no? um they back off.

what advantage would they have in provoking a possible war...against a godlike being they know nothing about?

nations are self-interested entities in preservation...they don't go around looking for fights to waste precious resources on when they aren't directly threatened.

snyper1982
So, you're admitting that using Superman's powers would end in innocent people dying.

Thank you.

Yeah that is exactly what I said. Lulz. I said how is religious fanatics killing people your fault? Basically it comes to down to personal accountability, which I am a huge believer in. If you want to place blame for one persons actions on someone else, then yeah, supermans powerset would result in loss of life. I don't see it that way though.

Silent Master
um they back off.

what advantage would they have in provoking a possible war...against a godlike being they know nothing about?

nations are self-interested entities in preservation...they don't go around looking for fights to waste precious resources on when they aren't directly threatened.

You don't live in the real world, do you?

Starscream M
Okay sure. So, you go work for the US government...

OH SHIT SON, USA has an unstoppable killing machine on their side...

Yeah, that's not gonna piss off any of the numerous Countries that hate the US. first, no one said you'd work for ANY government

second, a shit ton of countries already hate US...yet they aren't gonna fight the US for no reason...its a zero-sum game that no one gains anything from

marwash22
first, no one said you'd work for ANY government

second, a shit ton of countries already hate US...yet they aren't gonna fight the US for no reason...its a zero-sum game that no one gains anything from Originally posted by Silent Master

snyper1982
ninja please. all it takes is a pipe bomb... you can find directions for that shit on the internet.

And it is your fault that someone makes a pipe bomb right?

Starscream M
You don't live in the real world, do you? I actually do...and I know most nations have enough issues on their plate to worry about (job creation, healthcare, pensions for their aging populations, defense budgets, etc) that no nation would start a fight against a god if they are not under direct threat. it just isn't in their interest to do so. nations act in self-interest.

snyper1982

Yeah I do. What is the upside in possibly provoking an unstoppable killing machine, with no chance at killing him?

Silent Master
I actually do...and I know most nations have enough issues on their plate to worry about (job creation, healthcare, pensions for their aging populations, defense budgets, etc) that no nation would start a fight against a god if they are not under direct threat. it just isn't in their interest to do so. nations act in self-interest.

See, that's your problem, plenty of nations would see a westerner w/god like powers as a direct threat.

Starscream M
See, that's your problem, plenty of nations would see a westerner w/god like powers as a direct threat. and plenty of nations see US as a direct threat...have they attacked the US?

Silent Master
Yeah I do. What is the upside in possibly provoking an unstoppable killing machine, with no chance at killing him?

Which they won't know until they have tried killing you with the most powerful weapons they can get ahold of.

Silent Master
and plenty of nations see US as a direct threat...have they attacked the US?

9/11.

snyper1982
Which they won't know until they have tried killing you with the most powerful weapons they can get ahold of.

You keep skating my central issue. Personal responsibility. How is someone else's actions your fault?

Starscream M
9/11. al queda is not a nation. terrorist groups are completely different from nation states.

Silent Master
al queda is not a nation. terrorist groups are completely different from nation states.

Pearl Harbor

Starscream M
Pearl Harbor yes...and that happened in a different era

our world is vastly more interconnected and completely incomparable to the world then

marwash22
al queda is not a nation. terrorist groups are completely different from nation states. Originally posted by marwash22
some random Country/Military/Organization will see you as a threat and try to kill you. just stop. All you're doing is arguing for the sake of arguing.

Silent Master
Yep, he's just making excuses at this point.

Omega Vision
Way too many avatar-less people debating here. stick out tongue

snyper1982
Yep, he's just making excuses at this point. Just like you can't answer my question...

marwash22
Just like you can't answer my question... what question is that?Originally posted by Omega Vision
Way too many avatar-less people debating here. stick out tongue laughing out loud I'm thinking about doing something to change that.

snyper1982
Try reading my posts, it has been my central point the entire time.

Silent Master

darthgoober

Omega Vision

Starscream M
Superman's powers wouldn't work using real world physics...

elaborate

Black bolt z
elaborate Comics aren't real.

Omega Vision
elaborate
Are you kidding me?

marwash22
Are you kidding me? he has troll-mode activated.

Bentley
The only advantage of being Superman would be to see if there are aliens, if you can find God or funny stuff like that. Living in the world having those powers would be pointless.

Starscream M
Are you kidding me? no...explain to me which power wouldn't work.

darthgoober
Superman's powers wouldn't work using real world physics...

I'm assuming comic book physics are on, at least for you, otherwise what's the point of this discussion?
I'm assuming comic physics are on too for the most part, that's why I'd still pick Supes in a comic. But that particular question specifically says real life and immediately follows the question of in comics so I'm assuming it means in the real world(complete with real world physics).

Starscream M
Originally posted by Bentley
The only advantage of being Superman would be to see if there are aliens, if you can find God or funny stuff like that. Living in the world having those powers would be pointless. yeah, just like being a billionaire would be pointless too huh? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Black bolt z
no...explain to me which power wouldn't work. Flying.In real world physics there is no such thing as kryptonians...

snyper1982

Silent Master
If you believe in natural selection, why try and save anyone?

-Pr-

Mshinu

It'd eat you up inside.

Then. Disaster.

Good points.

I guess I would spend the first few years meditating in a tibetan temple or somewhere coming to terms with my powes and how to use them. I don`t spend every walking hour of my life as a rescue worker today, so there is really only a difference in degree to using great power sparingly and with purpose. The goal should be very long term survival and betterment of humanity. Natural disasters and conflict is part of man`s growth, they shouldn`t be directly interfered with except for potentially global threats. Far far better to help the human race help themselves.

-Pr-
I'd get power hungry and take over the world. Then when i'd realised what i'd done, i'd try to make amends.

you can't solve world hunger or eliminate threats without humanity being willing to work together and with you. so you either help them or you go all Ozymandias.

Lord Feron
Originally posted by Mshinu
Good points.

I guess I would spend the first few years meditating in a tibetan temple or somewhere coming to terms with my powes and how to use them. I don`t spend every walking hour of my life as a rescue worker today, so there is really only a difference in degree to using great power sparingly and with purpose. The goal should be very long term survival and betterment of humanity. Natural disasters and conflict is part of man`s growth, they shouldn`t be directly interfered with except for potentially global threats. Far far better to help the human race help themselves.
True, I would also try using my super brain (everyone says supes is a genius) so might as well put that to work. Develop cures and medicines or technology to help the human race live a better life. Or some tech to colonize/terraform other planets.

Also I would explore outter space. Sundip for a while and fly super fast around the universe would be ****ing awesome!

Mshinu
Originally posted by Lord Feron
True, I would also try using my super brain (everyone says supes is a genius) so might as well put that to work. Develop cures and medicines or technology to help the human race live a better life. Or some tech to colonize/terraform other planets.

Indeed. Not to mention with super senses and telescopic/microscopic/xray vision there would be practically no information on earth you could not gain acess to. All industrial and sientific secrets for the taking.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by darthgoober
I'm assuming comic physics are on too for the most part, that's why I'd still pick Supes in a comic. But that particular question specifically says real life and immediately follows the question of in comics so I'm assuming it means in the real world(complete with real world physics).
But in real world physics none of Superman's powers would work the way they do in comics so why even argue it?

Superman's powers as a rule defy physics.

BobbyD

I'd take Clark over Cap't. ..not by much, by I personally feel Superman is the more common choice to all of these questions.

snyper1982
If you believe in natural selection, why try and save anyone?

I mean as in an idiot blowing himself up with a pipe bomb, or some other such stupid way of killing yourself. Cleaning up the gene pool.

Black bolt z
I'd get power hungry and take over the world. Then when i'd realised what i'd done, i'd try to make amends.

you can't solve world hunger or eliminate threats without humanity being willing to work together and with you. so you either help them or you go all Ozymandias. I'd be like a beign tyrant.I'd defeat all the worlds military's but then i'd try to get them to get along.Have a rep from each country but in the end I get the final say.

I'd pretty much just be king of the UN stick out tongue

Omega Vision
I'd be like a beign tyrant.I'd defeat all the worlds military's but then i'd try to get them to get along.Have a rep from each country but in the end I get the final say.

I'd pretty much just be king of the UN stick out tongue
Why the hell would you want to be king of something with next to no real power?

King Castle
1: Who would more likely sacrifice themselves to save one person? Captain America so would Superman but more readily it be Cap.

2: Who has a stronger will? Captain America By far he has indomitable will not based on power but of personal conviction

3: Who is more humble/noble? both are IMO but i see Cap being more overall Noble.

4: Who is more idolized? obviously Superman

5: Who has preformed more evil/bad deeds? hmm.. not sure but i say supes he is constantly being brainwashed.

6: Who would you rather be in comics? in comics Cap

7: Who would you rather be in real life? in real life Superman

Black bolt z
Why the hell would you want to be king of something with next to no real power? mad

darthgoober
But in real world physics none of Superman's powers would work the way they do in comics so why even argue it?

Superman's powers as a rule defy physics.
Of course his powers would still work, he'd just have a tougher time with stuff. Whyt make the distiction between in comics and real life if we're not actually talking about real life?

-Pr-
for anyone who's wondering, "super-willpower" isn't actually a superpower when it comes to superman.

Deadline
for anyone who's wondering, "super-willpower" isn't actually a superpower when it comes to superman.

His willpower has nothing to do with his powerset?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Deadline
His powerset had nothing to do with him resisting Emperor Joker's reality warping and remembering the old order of things.

Deadline
His powerset had nothing to do with him resisting Emperor Joker's reality warping and remembering the old order of things.

You sure?

Omega Vision
You sure?
Why would his powerset help in that regard?

He was just too strong willed to accept that the Joker's world was the world as it should be.

There's also the fact that the only reason he wasn't chosen by the Guardians as the GL of Earth's sector was that he wasn't a native of Earth (which is just stupid). His will is >= To Hal's and possibly to Batman.

After all he did wrest control of Guy Gardner's ring from him in a battle of wills.

Deadline
Why would his powerset help in that regard?

He was just too strong willed to accept that the Joker's world was the world as it should be.

I dunno having a powerful physical body can help you mentally. If you're sick its harder ton centrate mentally etc. Not saying he doesn't have a strong will but I would think logically his powerset supplements it. He also knows T-Vo as well.

Omega Vision
I dunno having a powerful physical body can help you mentally. If you're sick its harder ton centrate mentally etc. Not saying he doesn't have a strong will but I would think logically his powerset supplements it. He also knows T-Vo as well.
The members of the Quintessence were more powerful and they succumbed to Joker's powers...

T-Vo had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Bentley
yeah, just like being a billionaire would be pointless too huh? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Being a billionaire IS pointless no expression

Deadline
The members of the Quintessence were more powerful and they succumbed to Joker's powers...

I have to say that sounds like PIS. Or it may have to do with the context of the situation if some people have an attachment to something that can have a stronger will.

T-Vo had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Im pretty sure that it wasn't stated on panel that T-vo was used. However considering he actually has T-Vo you can't say his willpower has nothing to do with his powers. Clearly Dr Strange has a strong willpower but not acknolwedging the fact that he has vast mental powers is illogical.

-Pr-

exactly.

Deadline
exactly.

Ok then you're supposed to provide an explanation? Is that alright?

-Pr-
Ok then you're supposed to provide an explanation? Is that alright?

it's never been stated as being a power of his.

during the john byrne years his powers were entirely dependant on his willpower, but that's been long done away with.

Omega Vision
I have to say that sounds like PIS.

Why is it always PIS when Superman does the "impossible" considering he does it all the fricken time.

-Pr-
Why is it always PIS when Superman does the "impossible" considering he does it all the fricken time.

it's pretty much the point of the character...

Bentley

People who diminish Supes have RIS biscuits

Deadline

Other examples?

Im pretty sure that it wasn't stated on panel that T-vo was used. However considering he actually has T-Vo you can't say his willpower has nothing to do with his powers. Clearly Dr Strange has a strong willpower but not acknolwedging the fact that he has vast mental powers is illogical.

Could you please address the point please.

it's never been stated as being a power of his.

Its not been stated its part of Dr Stranges powerset either but obvously his willpower will get boosted by his powers.

-Pr-
Its not been stated its part of Dr Stranges powerset either but obvously his willpower will get boosted by his powers.

you'd have to prove that, though, and in superman's case too.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>