I got a question about the human body

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Colossus-Big C
if they human body was powered by electricity, how much power would a human use?

Mindship
Going by the 2000-calories-daily standard (ie, it takes about 2000 calories for the 'average person' to function daily):

1 calorie = 4.18 joules
2000 calories = 8.36 kilojoules required for daily functioning.

This is, of course, a direct conversion. I'm not sure if this would actually hold up under more advanced scrutiny.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Mindship

This is, of course, a direct conversion. I'm not sure if this would actually hold up under more advanced scrutiny. what do you mean

and how do you convert that to watts? would that be 8,000 watts a day?

Symmetric Chaos
Going by the 2000-calories-daily standard (ie, it takes about 2000 calories for the 'average person' to function daily):

1 calorie = 4.18 joules
2000 calories = 8.36 kilojoules required for daily functioning.

This is, of course, a direct conversion. I'm not sure if this would actually hold up under more advanced scrutiny.

That's how much energy, he asked for power which would be about 95 watts by your numbers.

Actually your math is off. You need 2000 Calories a day, that's the same as 2000000 calories a day. So 8300kJ per day.

It's still 95 watts, though, I just did 2000Cal/day to get that number, didn't notice that you missed the terminology (which is in fact ridiculously confusing).

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
That's how much energy, he asked for power which would be about 95 watts by your numbers. so if the human body uses 95 watts?

inimalist
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
so if the human body uses 95 watts?

wink

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by inimalist
wink would a human size robot powered by 95 watts be able to do our daily activities?

i think my laptop uses much more power than that

Symmetric Chaos
so if the human body uses 95 watts?

Under typical conditions it's probably close enough. When it's colder, when you're sick or when you're exercising the power will rise. When it's warmer or you're sleeping the power will drop.

inimalist
would a human size robot powered by 95 watts be able to do our daily activities?

i think my laptop uses much more power than that

it would depend on how the robot is built, in theory though, if it were a robot built identical to a human, it should work

Symmetric Chaos
it would depend on how the robot is built, in theory though, if it were a robot built identical to a human, it should work

But then it would be a human, not a robot. nuts

Colossus-Big C
it would depend on how the robot is built, in theory though, if it were a robot built identical to a human, it should work how is it possible that a human body uses less power than a light bulb?

Symmetric Chaos
how is it possible that a human body uses less power than a light bulb?

I think most light bulbs are about 30W.

Colossus-Big C
I think most light bulbs are about 30W. theres 100 watt light bulbs

considering that our hearts are constantly moving are lungs are constantly moving and we do activities like bench pressing 200 pounds i find it hard to believe a light bulb is close to the the level of power we use

Mindship
That's how much energy, he asked for power which would be about 95 watts by your numbers.

Actually your math is off. You need 2000 Calories a day, that's the same as 2000000 calories a day. So 8300kJ per day.

It's still 95 watts, though, I just did 2000Cal/day to get that number, didn't notice that you missed the terminology (which is in fact ridiculously confusing). The question could've been a little more clear then, since it did say, if the "...human body was powered by electricity..." The joule is an applicable unit.

That aside...there are two types of 'calories'? Jiminy Crickets. Is there a conversion table for this other kind?

As for the 95 watts...my first impulse was to go with about 100 watts, because I remember reading somewhere that the human body emits as much heat as a 100 watt bulb...though, again, the numbers may be coincidental.

EDIT: Found it: 'small' and 'large' calories. Oy.

Symmetric Chaos
The question could've been a little more clear then, since it did say, if the "...human body was powered by electricity..." The joule is an applicable unit.

Well it's a related unit. Joules measure energy, watts measure power ( in joules per second).

EDIT: Found it: 'small' and 'large' calories. Oy.

Terrible, isn't it?

Colossus-Big C
so 1 calorie is really 1000 calories?

Parmaniac

Colossus-Big C

Symmetric Chaos
so 1 calorie is really 1000 calories?

1 Calorie = 1000 calories

Big 'C' Calorie is for food. Little 'c' calorie is for other stuff, to avoid ambiguity it sometimes gets called a "thermochemical calorie".

Colossus-Big C
1 Calorie = 1000 calories

Big 'C' Calorie is for food. Little 'c' calorie is for other stuff, to avoid ambiguity it sometimes gets called a "thermochemical calorie". so do we multiply the 95 watts by 1000 because you used the little c in the equation?

Symmetric Chaos
so do we multiply the 95 watts by 1000 because you used the little c in the equation?

No. Like said my equation was:

2000Cal/1day
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=2000Cal%2F1day

And to prove I can do this on my own:
2000Cal / 1day = (2000000*4.18) J / (24*60*60) s = 8360000J / 86400 s = 96.76 J/s = 96.76W smile

Bardock42

Robtard
Originally posted by Bardock42
Knowing....battle...smile

http://ordable.com/img/lists/dont-forget-about-gi-joe-the-rise-of-cobra/items/1407200997812gijoeknowing.jpg

King Kandy
95 Watts seems about right. Probably less, because if humans were electrically powered we wouldn't spend energy on digestion etc.

skekUng
if they human body was powered by electricity, how much power would a human use?

I've got a question.

Are we doing your homework for you? Are you watching the National Geographic channel, but have no friends to ask when the show you're watching inspires a question?

Okay, I've got 2 questions for you.

If a tree falls in the woods on a planet where there is an atmosphere but the animals have no ears, does it make a sound?

3. I've got three questions for you.

dadudemon

Bicnarok
1888 kcal/day * 4.18 kJ/kcal * 1 day / 8.64e4 sec = 91.3 Watts

So ~100W seems to be a good ballpark figure for a human body's power output.

heres a Metabolic rate caclutaror, great fun.smile
Mines 1727.25 if I converted Kilo´s to LB´s correctly

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.