How Under-Tech Was Battlestar Galactica?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Esau Cairn
I was juz wondering...in the pilot episode, Galactica is established as a very old ship on it's way to be de-commissioned...

I loved the fact that being a sci-fi series, Galactica still relied on ballistic weaponery (bullets & missiles) as opposed to lasers. Also the fact that they had no force-field technology but the ability to "jump" using the FLT Drive (?).

So was Galactica itself under-tech compared to the rest of the newer BattleStars?

I just found it curious that majority of the ships in the BattleStar-verse had the technology to jump distances but lacked the basic notion of force fields.

And does anyone know what DRADIS stood for?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I was juz wondering...in the pilot episode, Galactica is established as a very old ship on it's way to be de-commissioned...

I loved the fact that being a sci-fi series, Galactica still relied on ballistic weaponery (bullets & missiles) as opposed to lasers. Also the fact that they had no force-field technology but the ability to "jump" using the FLT Drive (?).

So was Galactica itself under-tech compared to the rest of the newer BattleStars?

I just found it curious that majority of the ships in the BattleStar-verse had the technology to jump distances but lacked the basic notion of force fields.

And does anyone know what DRADIS stood for?

They probably had some sort of inertial dampeners to keep people from splattering when the FTL jump occured.

Esau Cairn
You mean inertial dampeners as a form of force-field?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
You mean inertial dampeners as a form of force-field?

No, inertial dampeners as in dampeners of...inertia?

-Pr-
Direction, RAnge, and DIStance

and if you look at the Pegasus, I don't think there was that huge a difference tech wise between the battlestars. maybe pegasus was faster and had more weapons, but it still relied on the same basics iirc.

Flyattractor
And I thought they used buttlets because the producers thought "lazers" were to unrealistic.

God I hated the new BSG.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by dadudemon
No, inertial dampeners as in dampeners of...inertia?

Yeah I understand what inertial dampeners are....I just didn't understand you mentioning them as a response to what I initially wrote...

I'm just saying the ability to jump/teleport great distances is IMO a far greater technology than creating a force field around a vessel.

Compared to Star Trek...they had force field capability but could ony acheive warp speed & teleport crew & gear "short distances".

Robtard
Probably did it to keep the show different than others, also, if they had powerful force-fields, the use of conventional bullets, missiles and nukes would probably he useless.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.