Military

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phoenix3068
Hi All smile

Anyways, my father is in the service and has been for as long as I've known so I never really get to see him but whenever I did get to see or talk to him he lit my brother and me up with his War Stories.

I'm older now of course and I want to go into the service too (please no wise cracks about a woman in the service) but I was wondering before I do if anyone had any of their own stories.

It's free for anyone to talk, but I request that nobody tries to bash another person or anyone else's beliefs. I for one enjoy hearing about people's war stories and I will listen. Maybe it will help me survive my experience.

Kaibs
I'm not going to tell you my war stories as in my opinion a real solider should never talk about the shit he has had to experience in battle. I was in the Army, and might go back soon. My brother is an Airborne Ranger who's in the process of switching to 18 series (Special Forces). I wasn't 18 series, but I was also an 11B who had his Airborne and Ranger tabs.

As much as I usually disagree with some of the shit you say. If you join, I will respect you a lot. Only if you're joining for the right reasons though, and not to just to try to be a G.I. Jane wannabe.

What branch are you trying to join?

mikeydude
AirForce FTW.

Kaibs
Originally posted by mikeydude
AirForce FTW.

NO. I am not a fan of the Air Force for various reasons. Combat Engineers and Pilots get my thumbs up, but that's about it. Their basic training is utter shit.

Phoenix3068
Well I was told there were 3 branches to consider considering my body structure. One of them being the Air Force but I've never been one too big in flying (I can deal with flying with someone just not solo) but then the Navy seems like it would be an interesting place. I like the water, I wouldn't mind being stationed on a boat for a long period of time (or at least from where I stand now). Though even while in the military, I don't know which section I would end up in. I'm still choosing, but then I still have a few years before my decision.

Kaibs
Originally posted by Phoenix3068
Well I was told there were 3 branches to consider considering my body structure. One of them being the Air Force but I've never been one too big in flying (I can deal with flying with someone just not solo) but then the Navy seems like it would be an interesting place. I like the water, I wouldn't mind being stationed on a boat for a long period of time (or at least from where I stand now). Though even while in the military, I don't know which section I would end up in. I'm still choosing, but then I still have a few years before my decision.

A. What is your body type.

B. You don't have to fly a plane. In fact it's a very RARE thing that women will become pilots in the Air Force and Navy for the simple fact that although some can outlast the men in the G Force testing and aptitude tests, they sometimes get denied because of the whole "morals of killing" issue. So you shouldn't exactly worry about flying. A lot of the Air Force doesn't fly anything.

The Navy for me is like the Air Force. I hate it. SEALS get my respect though. Their basic training like the Air Force is utter shit. Although if you're wanting more college tuition money the Navy gives you most. And yeah, you will most likely be on a boat for a while. Probably not in a combat designated area. It depends on your MOS though.

It all depends on what kind of experience you're wanting out of this to really try to suggest a branch. And there's 4 branches you can join, not 3.

Phoenix3068
O.o unless I'm missing one...
-Army
-Navy
-Marines
-Air Force

There are others but these were always the big 4 that were announced to me. For the Army, I was wondering. It seems like the more Average section. Like it does a little bit of everything or it's the core of the military. Though I don't mean an insult by this, I just mean that it does a little bit of everything while the other 3 branches specialize in specific things.

Kaibs
O.o unless I'm missing one...
-Army
-Navy
-Marines
-Air Force

There are others but these were always the big 4 that were announced to me. For the Army, I was wondering. It seems like the more Average section. Like it does a little bit of everything or it's the core of the military. Though I don't mean an insult by this, I just mean that it does a little bit of everything while the other 3 branches specialize in specific things.

The Army doesn't really do boats. It does do Helicopters and planes sometimes, like C-130s. But I mean we don't use fighter jets like the Air Force and Navy. The Army is more ground designated. You can honestly do almost anything in The Army. What I was trained to do was kill and defuse terrorist situations that had to do with anything from urban combat to guerrilla warfare. Ranger units usually are divided up into what are called "Chalks" which are small segments of troops. 18 Series is even smaller. You will always have a main focus with your MOS whatever it is. That's why you go to AIT. You might learn some other shit along the way though. The Marines are mostly focused on 11B Infantry. Which is why women really don't join.

Have you taken your ASVABS, and what interests you besides "water"

mikeydude
Originally posted by Kaibs
NO. I am not a fan of the Air Force for various reasons. Combat Engineers and Pilots get my thumbs up, but that's about it. Their basic training is utter shit.
Yeah, but the Air Force is mostly political, and for people who want a easy pay for college. But i want to use it for things like having disipline without being some meathead i just wanna kill people, person.
Not to mention most of my family was in the Air Force.

Dave_97
If you want to be the very best that no one ever was.

Then you need to join up and become a pokemon master.

King Castle
hmm.. modern war stories are just very boringmhmm and not really like the movies and when it is no one really wants to talk about it.

i remember once when we were being sniped at on base and me and my NCO were arguing over whether we were being sniped at to begin with and then being ordered to put out my Cigarette while i walked toward cover without letting the sniper know i was aware of his activity.

i found that to be pretty funny.

my NCO had never fired a gun or knew what it was like to be shot at and his common sense and spider sense wasnt working..plus, he wasnt sure so he didnt want to radio it in out of fear of looking bad so i did it for him.. no

Phoenix3068
lol that's not a boring story, it's actually kind of funny. I liked it ^^

King Castle
i was a marine.

yup, my NCO was all: i guess you know when you are being shot at i guess you have experience?

ME: umm, yes. i'm brown and ghetto grew up in LA i know what it sounds like when a bullet wizzes by my ear.

sooo..pheonix, what do you look like?

i ask b/c like Kaib said body type is a factor, big hips are an issue in the Marines and a lot of women end up with medical issues.

if you are athletic runner/swimmer body you will be fine. if not get ready for constant medical waivers and your unit ending up disliking you.

i have tons of retarded combat moments that arent even combat b/c they hide and use urban tactics so we never get the chance to see them... just a loud thump noise and a mortar round landing and bouncing on the ground Dink, Dank and everyone laughing b/c it didnt go off and saying how stupid the haji's are for burying there sh#$ and not knowing to use it in the 1st place and ruining there only chance at getting the element of surprise.

and having to grab a motivated boot by the collar as he runs toward it to pick it up so he can take pictures.

Kaibs
Originally posted by King Castle
i was a marine.

yup, my NCO was all: i guess you know when you are being shot at i guess you have experience?

ME: umm, yes. i'm brown and ghetto grew up in LA i know what it sounds like when a bullet wizzes by my ear.

sooo.. what do you look like?

i ask b/c like Kaib said body type is a factor, big hips are an issue in the Marines and a lot of women end up with medical issues.

if you are athletic runner/swimmer body you will be fine. if not get ready for constant medical waivers and your unit ending up disliking you.

i have tons of retarded combat moments that arent even combat b/c they hide and use urban tactics so we never get the chance to see them... just a loud thump noise and a mortar round landing and bouncing on the ground Dink, Dank and everyone laughing b/c it didnt go off and saying how stupid the haji's are for burying there sh#$ and not knowing to use it in the 1st place and ruining there only chance at getting the element of surprise.

and having to grab a motivated boot by the collar as he runs toward it to pick it up so he can take pictures.

We may not agree on much if anything. But at least one thing I will agree with are how stupid Skinnys are. Hajjis are also annoying as shit and they have such horrible accuracy.

Phoenix3068
well half the time they're untrained aren't they? Anyways, to answer the previous question I'm a little short but I'm fast, very athletic, I do lift and can hold at least my own body weight. I don't have any real medical issues from what I recall.

Kaibs
well half the time they're untrained aren't they? Anyways, to answer the previous question I'm a little short but I'm fast, very athletic, I do lift and can hold at least my own body weight. I don't have any real medical issues from what I recall.

Have you taken your ASVABS. You might as well not even start to go that deep into this convo if you haven't taken your ASVABS. And as for the skinnys. Most of them are indeed untrained. Most 3rd world militias are.

Slay
I was a captain for the VOC, sailing between the Antilles and Indonesia. Trading spices, dealing with meddling Spaniards and those horrid Portuguese!

King Castle
well half the time they're untrained aren't they? Anyways, to answer the previous question I'm a little short but I'm fast, very athletic, I do lift and can hold at least my own body weight. I don't have any real medical issues from what I recall. http://www.eorthopod.com/content/injuries-among-female-marine-corps-recruits

^ that there might scare you if you look at the % rate of female injuries in boot camp.

anyways.... @ Kaibs

out dated weapons that are buried and gone unused for decades and you add the hajjis lack of training and experience adds to the inaccuracy.. its a shame that if we were at the time not worried about politics we could have already cleared out the city and killed a lot of the insurgence but it would look really bad in the news.

Funny story

we were ordered to make a guns for cash program to get rid of the available weapons in towns that a bunch of Iraqis turned up to exchange weapons that didnt even work but we took them anyways.. we would make a quick check of the weapons see what was wrong take what we needed repair other AK47's with the parts and end up giving them to the Iraqi police.

One guy came in with a nice Ak47 looked pretty new me and my friends had strong suspicions on the dude but we were not allowed to act on them stupid orders...

so we grab the rifle it wouldnt work the firing mechanism kept getting stuck. well we dismantled it right quick wiped the dirt clean the small parts put it back together and bam it was working just fine.

the Hajjis eyes lid up and started asking for the gun back we waved the money at him and told him, no. pointing at the sign and we kept pushing the money at him. the dude just kept on screaming and getting confrontational so one of my guys stood walked toward him and waiting for the hajji to put his hands on his chest. my marine just grabbed his fingers squished them and had him on the ground and used his rifle to induce more pain,..

one of the other marines walked up and showed him the money and showed him in another hand zip ties and a bag.. the hajji had tears rolling down his eyes and grabbed the money.

laughing rolling on floor laughing

i just sat in my booth and watched at annoyance knowing we were allowing an Insurgent get away instead of putting a bullet in the back of the head, kept thinking about how much of a coward they are.

Kaibs
Originally posted by King Castle
http://www.eorthopod.com/content/injuries-among-female-marine-corps-recruits

^ that there might scare you if you look at the % rate of female injuries in boot camp.

anyways.... @ Kaibs

out dated weapons that are buried and gone unused for decades and you add the hajjis lack of training and experience adds to the inaccuracy.. its a shame that if we were at the time not worried about politics we could have already cleared out the city and killed a lot of the insurgence but it would look really bad in the news.

Funny story

we were ordered to make a guns for cash program to get rid of the available weapons in towns that a bunch of Iraqis turned up to exchange weapons that didnt even work but we took them anyways.. we would make a quick check of the weapons see what was wrong take what we needed repair other AK47's with the parts and end up giving them to the Iraqi police.

One guy came in with a nice Ak47 looked pretty new me and my friends had strong suspicions on the dude but we were not allowed to act on them stupid orders...

so we grab the rifle it wouldnt work the firing mechanism kept getting stuck. well we dismantled it right quick wiped the dirt clean the small parts put it back together and bam it was working just fine.

the Hajjis eyes lid up and started asking for the gun back we waved the money at him and told him, no. pointing at the sign and we kept pushing the money at him. the dude just kept on screaming and getting confrontational so one of my guys stood walked toward him and waiting for the hajji to put his hands on his chest. my marine just grabbed his fingers squished them and had him on the ground and used his rifle to induce more pain,..

one of the other marines walked up and showed him the money and showed him in another hand zip ties and a bag.. the hajji had tears rolling down his eyes and grabbed the money.

laughing rolling on floor laughing

i just sat in my booth and watched at annoyance knowing we were allowing an Insurgent get away instead of putting a bullet in the back of the head, kept thinking about how much of a coward they are.

Well of course they only have access to that kind of stuff. They're 3rd world militias lol. But what makes it worse is how they fight. I remember seeing such retarded shit sometimes that some of it didn't even make sense. Well of course you can't act on anything almost these days with insurgents. It sucks because of FF rules. That's the one thing I hated most about combat was FF rules. You could get ****ed over at any given time in a market sector or town.

Kaibs
And @ Phoenix. If you want an easy basic. Join the Navy or Air Force. You get to ride bikes and take breaks while riding said bike. It doesn't get easier than that. Nor will you most likely ever need to use your M-16 Training so it's doubtful you'll even do much of it.

Pig Newtons
Ha ha! I found the right thread! I'm US ARMY, active and my MOS is 12C, the bastardized version of Combat Engineer. Our primary mission is to build modular bridges no matter how crazy the situation, but we are designated as "Multi Role" because we can be used in Riverine Patrol Ops, Route Clearance, Breaching, and Reconnaissance.

@Phoenix: You'd like my job for the reason that we're around water wherever we go, but you'd hate it for the reason that you'd be lifting heavy pieces of steel all the time, and it's really not a job for short females. Unless you luck out and get selected for the Recon Team in whatever Multi Role Bridge Unit you're assigned to, like I am smile

Much love to the "Leg" guys in here. My back thanks the MRAP I get to ride around in. I don't know how you guys walk all that distance, hauling all that shit on your backs.

RE: Blaxican
If I was going to join the military, I'd join the branch that sees the least amount of hot zones and combat, and I would try to have a MOS that would ensure that I stay inside of a base or what have you for as long as possible, because I want the benefits of being a military vet, but I really don't want to die for my shitty government. Does that make me a bad person?

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
If I was going to join the military, I'd join the branch that sees the least amount of hot zones and combat, and I would try to have a MOS that would ensure that I stay inside of a base or what have you for as long as possible, because I want the benefits of being a military vet, but I really don't want to die for my shitty government. Does that make me a bad person? No, being black makes you a bad person.

King Castle
If I was going to join the military, I'd join the branch that sees the least amount of hot zones and combat, and I would try to have a MOS that would ensure that I stay inside of a base or what have you for as long as possible, because I want the benefits of being a military vet, but I really don't want to die for my shitty government. Does that make me a bad person? it makes you unworthy to wear a military uniform imo.. but, i seen plenty of ppl just like you in the service.

Pig Newtons
If I was going to join the military, I'd join the branch that sees the least amount of hot zones and combat, and I would try to have a MOS that would ensure that I stay inside of a base or what have you for as long as possible, because I want the benefits of being a military vet, but I really don't want to die for my shitty government. Does that make me a bad person?

That type of thinking doesn't just make you a bad person, it makes you a coward of the lowest regard.

Unfit to serve in my Army.

Kaibs
A big HOOAH! to you bro.

Rogue Jedi
Dumbledore's Army.

Originally posted by Pig Newtons
That type of thinking doesn't just make you a bad person, it makes you a coward of the lowest regard.

Unfit to serve in my Army. D-Damn. sad Well, what are the pre-requisites for being considered fit for your army? I lack the gumption, but I'm a legit intelligent guy who could actually do my cowardly job very well, which is more than can be said for idealistic and naive inbred red necks who join the military to serve their country, but are too stupid to figure out which end of the gun the bullets come out of.

313 just joshin'

Phoenix3068
Well personally I'd rather be in the action. I don't like the thought of sitting around on my ass while other people are out there doing life threatening things. One of my goals in life is to prove that a woman can do whatever a man can do, doesn't matter if it's better just so long as it's equal to. Sense my father served he taught me to shoot, but against those who have been in service as long as you guys I don't think I'd even hold a challenge erm

Edit: but I know I'm better than any selfish disrespecting coward who's too scared to risk his life in the line of duty *cough* not pointing any fingers.

Kaibs
D-Damn. sad Well, what are the pre-requisites for being considered fit for your army? I lack the gumption, but I'm a legit intelligent guy who could actually do my cowardly job very well, which is more than can be said for idealistic and naive inbred red necks who join the military to serve their country, but are too stupid to figure out which end of the gun the bullets come out of.

313 just joshin'

I think you're a pretty cool guy man, but don't diss the Army. Although idiots join every branch, and there are idiots in life you shouldn't base the military off of people who aren't intelligent. I like to believe I am very intelligent, and I happened to got a 98 on my ASVABS. I served my country with pride and because I wanted to not because I was forced. Had certain things not happened I would still be doing so proudly. I might still go back to being a Ranger. I haven't decided. If my brother transfers to 18 Series I might go back and do an 18 X Ray contract. But anyways what I'm trying to say is just show some respect for the guys who actually have been through hell and back.

Kaibs
Well personally I'd rather be in the action. I don't like the thought of sitting around on my ass while other people are out there doing life threatening things. One of my goals in life is to prove that a woman can do whatever a man can do, doesn't matter if it's better just so long as it's equal to. Sense my father served he taught me to shoot, but against those who have been in service as long as you guys I don't think I'd even hold a challenge erm

Edit: but I know I'm better than any selfish disrespecting coward who's too scared to risk his life in the line of duty *cough* not pointing any fingers.

As a female you aren't prohibited to have a combat MOS in any branch.

Phoenix3068
bleh, oh also I was talking to someone about the effectiveness of all branches. I had heard at one point and was wondering at which branch might hold up against the other. For example in terms of training which would be more difficult, and while the Rangers hold a strong position it was well argued that they did not hold much against the Marine Recon.

Kaibs
bleh, oh also I was talking to someone about the effectiveness of all branches. I had heard at one point and was wondering at which branch might hold up against the other. For example in terms of training which would be more difficult, and while the Rangers hold a strong position it was well argued that they did not hold much against the Marine Recon.

WELP, IMO and yes I am biased, but Delta is the top force in all of the country. You can't even apply to Delta, you have to be asked to join. They do shit that you'll never hear about for the most part.

Marine Force Recon is about like the SEALS IMO, which are very respectable, but are on par with 18 Series in the Army which is Special Forces. Air Force's Combat Engineers are about on par with Rangers imo.

Other things that are on par with Delta is the British S.A.S, and the Russian Septznas

Pig Newtons

Unless you can lift as much as the weakest male, run as fast as the slowest male, shoot better than every other male, and can endure as much as the weakest male, you'll never be able to prove to most of us that you can do "whatever a man can do". Females are given easier standards (physical training and personal appearance), they're allowed better quarters (in most cases I've seen), and they're given rank based on the fact that they are minorities.

I'll be honest here and say that I highly disapprove of females in combat support jobs, UNLESS they can hold their own and can prove they can "hack it" like I mentioned above. Double standards don't mean shit to me when the rounds start coming in. If you can do it, fine, doesn't matter what gender you are. If you can't, don't expect me to make concessions based on "Equal Opportunity" because of your gender.

Some call me "archaic", sexist and biased. I don't care. I'm right, and as a leader, it's my responsibility to choose the best individuals for the mission, not because they're a "gender minority" and the EO officer demands it. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Phoenix3068
So even if I could run faster, lift more, shoot more accurately and in a greater succession, and endure a greater amount, you would choose a man because they are the best individuals for a mission?

King Castle
pig newton speaks the truth... thumb up

i personally would pick the best individual physically and mentally. if that means its a man on average then that is who i pick.

i disliked when we would get emails in the offices about promoting more females and getting them on the mendatorous board even when they didnt have the points to rate but were sent anyways...

men would just groan knowing that although they were better suited they would not be promoted and would be give to the girl even when she missed more questions had lower PFT, and rifle range score.

Phoenix3068
That's not the point, what I'm saying is that if a girl can come out with the same scores or better a male would still be the one chosen. Guy's tend to have a typical dominance feeling that they are better than the woman who take their place. I know I probably can't outshoot most of the guys on here already in but that's just because the only experience I have is at a shooting range and hunting, I haven't been trained like a soldier nor have I been in armed combat. But I'll tell you now if you want to judge all girls on a matter of how they all just run their mouths, scream when they see blood, and get emotional in conflict then you just might underestimate and be shown up by someone like me.

King Castle
if you were better on average then a man i wouldnt mind serving in combat with you to a point... you can have a combat mos and support for all i care.

and if i had personal issues that would arise b/c of it, it would be my problems to deal with no one else .

one of the logistical problems that arose having women was stopping convoys for bathroom breaks.....everyone knew it was dangerous and stupid but no one said anything.

there were times when we be told to piss in our pants or use a bottle when there werent any women in the unit.

Phoenix3068
O_o that's stupid. I said already women should be treated equally and that's no different when it comes to safety regulations. Having to stop the entire convoy just so someone could go to the bathroom?

King Castle
yes, driving toward or away from some places middle of nowhere...

same thing in some Humps during training.

seen women more often then not skip mandatory field training b/c well you know.... embarrasment

Phoenix3068
Well hopefully I'd meet qualifications that you would set ^^ I believe that everyone should get equal treatment (unless they are the enemy... them we can kill.)

King Castle
i am out, i dont set anything nor have my own section anymore.

but, more then likely you be above 3 of my old marines.. damn fat bodies... miffed

also i was a straight arrow NCO in the marines.. which meant i didnt curse or yell/talk down to my men.

they were grown men/women and marines and earned the right to be spoken as such.

that also meant i did my best to obey regulations even when it would hamper me so i would respect even the enemy and his rights.

Kaibs
You still don't get it. Women can't do combat MOS because of way more factors than just physical shape.

King Castle
i know you aint referring to me... blink

a lot of the females in the marines were mostly office mos.. umm.. admin also supply..

anyways..... i blame her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOhBlCuKSBQ

Pig Newtons
But I'll tell you now if you want to judge all girls on a matter of how they all just run their mouths, scream when they see blood, and get emotional in conflict then you just might underestimate and be shown up by someone like me.

Pump the brakes.

You don't know how you'd react in a time of high stress, such as during a firefight or during a complex, IED-Small Arms ambush.

I've served with females and in the scenarios I mentioned above, out of all of them I think I can remember 2 that could "handle" it. The rest either hunkered down and "Jessica Lynch'd" or they got crazy and belligerent on the radio.

Don't speculate on how emotionally tough you are until you sign the dotted line, sweat and bleed through the training, and then go overseas and prove yourself.

No man, or woman, can claim they'll be a "Randall Shughart" (google him) when it comes time to meet Islam's finest on those eastern battlefields.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Slay
I was a captain for the VOC, sailing between the Antilles and Indonesia. Trading spices, dealing with meddling Spaniards and those horrid Portuguese!

Ah, we have a very similar past it seems.

Originally posted by Kaibs
I think you're a pretty cool guy man, but don't diss the Army. Although idiots join every branch, and there are idiots in life you shouldn't base the military off of people who aren't intelligent. I like to believe I am very intelligent, and I happened to got a 98 on my ASVABS. I served my country with pride and because I wanted to not because I was forced. Had certain things not happened I would still be doing so proudly. I might still go back to being a Ranger. I haven't decided. If my brother transfers to 18 Series I might go back and do an 18 X Ray contract. But anyways what I'm trying to say is just show some respect for the guys who actually have been through hell and back. Did you mean, don't make sarcastic jokes about the army? no expression

Kaibs
Did you mean, don't make sarcastic jokes about the army? no expression

No from what I got from your comment in the other page is that you think idiots only are in the Army. Unless I totally misread it?

Well the smilie followed by "just joshin" was supposed to indicate that I was "just joshin", and to "josh" means to "joke". You know, "I'm just joshin you"? Haven't you ever seen Boys Meets World?

Kaibs
Nah, I never watched it. That kid's curly hair just freaked me out way to much. But I got you now, so nevermind. Heh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d4JF33HPXo

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.