Opinion - TFU II Galen Marek is not a Clone

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Truculent
Just finished playing TFU II and throughout the game, Galen believes he is a clone. However, in my personal opinion he is not. Why? For a few reasons:

Reason 1: It seems to me he is suffering from a type of Jason Bourne affect. A traumatic event happened and Galen lost his memory. That event was when he opened himself to the Force when he 'sacrificed' himself for the Rebellion. Vader took the 'corpse' and sent it to Kamino to manipulate Galen into believing he was a clone.

Reason 2: Galen began to slowly regain his memories. If he was a clone, then he would not have any memory of his past life. And, the 'clones' that Vader made were failures. This was a decade after the Clone Wars and cloning technology was not a perfect science. Examples are Luuke Skywalker and Joruus C'boath.

Reason 3: Galen was just simply too powerful to throw away. Why waste over 15+ years of formal training?

Reason 4: He let Vader live. He had the chance twice to kill Vader - once in TFU I and in TFU II. It doesn't add up.

So, that's my humblle opinion. What are yours?

ares834
No he is a clone. You see the originals dead body in one of the secret cutscenes. What is intresting is he is not wearing the Jedi Adventure Robe, but is wearing what he wore when Vader stabbed him and threw him into outer space. Which more or less confirms the theory that you play as Starkiller's clone in the second half of the first game.

Also not all of the clone were failures check the dark side ending.

Nephthys
Dark Side ending is probably non-canon.

And yay on my theory! lol

ares834
Sure. But those secret cutscenes are about the perfected clone that makes his apperance in the Dark Side ending, so the character is canon.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Darth Truculent
Reason 1: It seems to me he is suffering from a type of Jason Bourne affect. A traumatic event happened and Galen lost his memory. That event was when he opened himself to the Force when he 'sacrificed' himself for the Rebellion. Vader took the 'corpse' and sent it to Kamino to manipulate Galen into believing he was a clone. Possible.

Reason 2: Galen began to slowly regain his memories. If he was a clone, then he would not have any memory of his past life. And, the 'clones' that Vader made were failures. This was a decade after the Clone Wars and cloning technology was not a perfect science. Examples are Luuke Skywalker and Joruus C'boath.Recent Star Wars projects have made it abundantly clear that the EU of the past is largely irrelevant. The future is now. And it's making money. To hell with continuity.

Reason 3: Galen was just simply too powerful to throw away. Why waste over 15+ years of formal training?It would be a waste. No better reason to clone him and make him obedient this time.

Reason 4: He let Vader live. He had the chance twice to kill Vader - once in TFU I and in TFU II. It doesn't add up. I don't know what math you studied, or what Star Wars you're in to, but if he killed Vader, even by accident--we don't get the OT. PIS will be activated to protect Vader each and every time they fight. Anything else won't add up.

P.S. TFU II f*cking sucked.

mattatom
How bad was TFU II Lucien? Almost 1k'd Fable 3 so tempted to trade it in for TFU 2.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by mattatom
How bad was TFU II Lucien? Almost 1k'd Fable 3 so tempted to trade it in for TFU 2. Depends on how you want to look at it: As a video-game player, it was a decent hack-and-slash with an "OK" story, with some cool powers, but it became quickly tedious and formulaic and was over in about 4-5 hours.

As a Star Wars fan, it was a f*cking abomination. The premise of the story was shoddy and hackneyed, the characters transparent and boring, the "cameos" of Boba Fett an Yoda utterly useless, and the canonical ending completely ridiculous on every level. As a Star Wars story, it blowed.

And from what I've seen/been described to, Fable 3 shaped up to be a bigger disappointment than Fable 2. No appearance modification, stupid leveling system, easy gold, pointless class-customization, half a game map that isn't filled in (Fallout: New Vegas-style right there), pointless and irksome pause menu, and that f*cking dog.

But I still wouldn't suggest trading it in for TFU II. I can't stress enough how short and worthless that game is. Wait a year and Walmart will have it for $10 in the bargain bin and Fable 3 will still be $39.99 behind the glass case.

mattatom
Personally i preferred Fable 3 to Fable 2. The dog was stil there. That pissed me off. The appearence mods didn't bother me. I preferred the levelling system in 3 to 1 and 2. Purely because it's easier. Gold is easy if you buy properties early which I didn't as a result I had to scrape every cent to have the pure good ending, that was a challenge. The weapon challenges were a neat idea I thought (Unmissed achievement for like fully upgrading so many weapons(or atleast one range and one melee)). Cut them a break on the game map, they've said in the past they specifically don't want a completely free roam game, takes out the feel of the Fable feel, (Oblivion-esque else). Pause menu I liked, allowed more freedom and could compare and contrast outfits.

I may just buy TFU then. Or trade in Fable 3 for New Vegas, Brotherhood, or the F1 Game.

Lord Lucien
Personally i preferred Fable 3 to Fable 2. The dog was stil there. That pissed me off. The appearence mods didn't bother me. I preferred the levelling system in 3 to 1 and 2. Purely because it's easier. Gold is easy if you buy properties early which I didn't as a result I had to scrape every cent to have the pure good ending, that was a challenge. The weapon challenges were a neat idea I thought (Unmissed achievement for like fully upgrading so many weapons(or atleast one range and one melee)). Cut them a break on the game map, they've said in the past they specifically don't want a completely free roam game, takes out the feel of the Fable feel, (Oblivion-esque else). Pause menu I liked, allowed more freedom and could compare and contrast outfits.Appearance always drew me back to Fable; I liked it when your character aged, got taller, more muscular, scarred, had runes covering him, was blond or black-haired. Actually made you think about your choice of combat, it made you block and dodge and worry about excessive magic. I HATE that it's so easy now. So casualized. They basically hand you everything on a silver platter. The only way to get a scar is if you die AND don't have a Resurrection Phial. And if you do scar? Don't worry about it, spend some gold and remove it! You can make a fortune early in the game just by doing the jobs--literally a fortune. And why show us a huge map, but half of it's water or somewhere you can't go? Lionhead and Molyneux just can't think of enough ways to make progressively easier (and worse) games. The complete lack of cutscenes in Fable 2 pissed me off to no end too--they sorta fixed that?

I may just buy TFU then. Or trade in Fable 3 for New Vegas, Brotherhood, or the F1 Game. I suggest Fallout. Thus far it's the one game that's actually been good. Good good, not "tolerable" good.

mattatom
The depressing thing is I can't remember where they wrote it but they have already confirmed Fable IV and since the games are getting progressively worse and more into the future whats next modern day fable which plays like the first Quake?

Tempting, I enjoyed Fallout 3 afterall. Though i do still need to go back to it -.-.

Lord Lucien
Great thing is, you don't need to play 3 to get through New Vegas. They're quite unrelated. NV's got a less... apocalypse-based story though.

Darth Truculent
Sorry guys if I seem to ramble on right now cause I'm badly hungover. Drank too many depth charges and shots of Black Bush Irish Whiskey last night to write coherently.

Galen would have to be in the animus to remember his past life - his blood memories like in Assassins Creed. When I go to MMA fights and sometimes the fighters get knocked out, they don't remember a thing. In psychology, I can't remember the term for it, but the brain does block traumatic events in order to protect itself from harm. I'm not a shrink, but I do believe was not a clone. Vader just manipulated him into believing he was a clone.

When Palpatine was a 'clone' he simply transfered his essence into another body - kinda like Exar Kun's spirit when he took over Kyp. But no about Starkiller. There is something known as selective behavior modification and that's what I think Vader attempted.

NCRotCA
Originally posted by
mattatom: 5.5
Personally i preferred Fable 3 to Fable 2. The dog was stil there. That pissed me off. The appearence mods didn't bother me. I preferred the levelling system in 3 to 1 and 2. Purely because it's easier. Gold is easy if you buy properties early which I didn't as a result I had to scrape every cent to have the pure good ending, that was a challenge. The weapon challenges were a neat idea I thought (Unmissed achievement for like fully upgrading so many weapons(or atleast one range and one melee)). Cut them a break on the game map, they've said in the past they specifically don't want a completely free roam game, takes out the feel of the Fable feel, (Oblivion-esque else). Pause menu I liked, allowed more freedom and could compare and contrast outfits.

I may just buy TFU then. Or trade in Fable 3 for New Vegas, Brotherhood, or the F1 Game.

Or play games that are actually good.

mattatom
Originally posted by NCRotCA
Or play games that are actually good. Surely good is subjective and depends on the individual?

Nephthys
Nope! Not about games!

mattatom
Originally posted by Nephthys
Nope! Not about games! ass

Nephthys
Yes please.

mattatom
Yes please. See beefy for that.

Lord Lucien
Sorry guys if I seem to ramble on right now cause I'm badly hungover. Drank too many depth charges and shots of Black Bush Irish Whiskey last night to write coherently.

Galen would have to be in the animus to remember his past life - his blood memories like in Assassins Creed. When I go to MMA fights and sometimes the fighters get knocked out, they don't remember a thing. In psychology, I can't remember the term for it, but the brain does block traumatic events in order to protect itself from harm. I'm not a shrink, but I do believe was not a clone. Vader just manipulated him into believing he was a clone.

When Palpatine was a 'clone' he simply transfered his essence into another body - kinda like Exar Kun's spirit when he took over Kyp. But no about Starkiller. There is something known as selective behavior modification and that's what I think Vader attempted. Are you applying real world biological science to Star Wars? C'mon, you know better.

ares834
Fable 3 is infinitely better than TFU 2.

Dr McBeefington
What the hell did I just play? TFU II might have to be one of the worst games I've ever played and the worst storyline in the history of Star Wars. It took me a little over 2 hours to beat this crap and I thought I downloaded the wrong version. Jesus Christ, Lucas has lost his mind putting out garbage like this, especially in regards to continuity.

Lord Lucien
Thank you.

Dr McBeefington
I've never been so mad in my entire life when it comes to wasting time. This was the epitome of wasting time. The Dagobah thing, the entire plot, no emperor, shitting continuity, seriously? Did the creators dare each other to get drunk and come up with a video game that people will buy regardless of how shitty it is?

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
I've never been so mad in my entire life when it comes to wasting time. This was the epitome of wasting time. The Dagobah thing, the entire plot, no emperor, shitting continuity, seriously? Did the creators dare each other to get drunk and come up with a video game that people will buy regardless of how shitty it is? Which ending did you pick?

Nephthys
See beefy for that.

As his Kismesis I'm getting that already. awepedo

Heeeeeey Beefy, apparantly Vader uses Force Lightning as well. Thoughts?

Dr McBeefington
The light side.. Good thing too because I read up on the dark side ending and I would have smashed my computer into thousands of pieces.

George Lucas is a douche.

Jinsoku Takai
Where in the game does Vader use Force Lightning?

Lucius
I'm glad I didn't pick up this game. Gideon kept telling me it had an incredible storyline and was amazing so I was halfway tempted.

Sounds like shit.

Dr McBeefington
Originally posted by Lucius
I'm glad I didn't pick up this game. Gideon kept telling me it had an incredible storyline and was amazing so I was halfway tempted.

Sounds like shit.

I didn't pick it up either. I wouldn't ever waste money on a LucasArts game after the first TFU and since they've been making the new Old Republic Game. Tell Gideon to pass what he's smoking, this is easily one of the worst games I've ever played with the worst storyline.

mattatom
Yet i am still going to trade fable 3 in for it.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Jinsoku Takai
Where in the game does Vader use Force Lightning? In the last phase of the 15 phase ending fight, he channels lightning from the sky--through a tower--through his lightsaber.

Yet i am still going to trade fable 3 in for it. Why? You were debating between that and Fallout. I can vouch for both games' qualities: TFU II is short and sucks ass, and Fallout is lengthy and keeps you very interested. The length (5 hours, max.) of TFU alone should be enough to turn you off it. At least Fable and Fallout give you some good hours for your money.

mattatom
Because it has the Star Wars Title, Simply. sad

Lord Lucien

facepalm

mattatom
Originally posted by Lord Lucien

facepalm I know. Maybe i will get Fallout instead :L

NCRotCA
You could alternatively trade it in for something that is actually good, like Kana: Little Sister, Narcissu, or True Remembrance.

mattatom
You could alternatively trade it in for something that is actually good, like Kana: Little Sister, Narcissu, or True Remembrance. If you class those as good. Damn.

Darth Angel
This game is completly empty. It reminds me of kotor II, it has no plot and just likes to overpower you, which means you have to deal with easy gameplay together with no plot.

I really don't care if this is star wars or not, no plot+no gameplay = 1/10 game

Darth_Glentract
^KOTOR 2 was WAY better than either TFU game. Rent TFU or youre wasting your money.

Dr McBeefington
Originally posted by Darth Angel
This game is completly empty. It reminds me of kotor II, it has no plot and just likes to overpower you, which means you have to deal with easy gameplay together with no plot.

I really don't care if this is star wars or not, no plot+no gameplay = 1/10 game

Wait what? How could it possibly remind you of KOTOR II which was phenomenal, although not as great as the first one.

Nephthys

Kotor II had one of the finest plots in gaming. erm

Fail.

Now, read this informational masterpiece and weep.

thumb up

thumb up

thumb down

NCRotCA
I don't know about that Nephthys. It had some nice philosophical depth in parts, some interesting ideas within the confines of the SW Universe, and a very good character in the form of Kreia, but aside from that I though the general structure and direction of the story was pretty underwhelming. It's better than the first, and it's definitely good, but not great. Certainly not in the same league as the likes of Kana: Little Sister, Ever 17: The Out of Infinity, Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Xenogears, Xenosaga, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story etc..

Nephthys
Well Your Mileage May Vary of course....

And Kreia's probably my favourite video game character ever. Which says alot about me considering she's basically the players mum.

NCRotCA
I really liked Kreia as well. The best character to appear within the SW universe by far imo.

Lord Lucien
I'll throw in my different direction and say that KotOR II was OK. Nothing special, and very underachieving compared to the first. Characters were boring and or tedious, story was "meh", and the mountain of items was overwhelming.

But as a Star Wars story: KotOR II>>>>>TFU II.

ares834
KotOR>>KotOR II>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TFU>>>>TFU II

Lord Lucien
KotOR>>TFU=KotOR II>>>>>>TFU II.

Nephthys
Better than Kotor's.

Atton>Carth
Kreia>Jolee (close Actually not that close. no expression)
Visas>Bastila (less whiny and generic)
Neo-HK-47>HK-47 retro
T3>T3
Hanharr>Zaalbar
Mandalore=Canderous (badassatude vs content= tie)
Handmaiden>Juhani
Bao-Dur/Mira> Mission (idk why)

NCRotCA
KotOR II is the best story within the entire SW canon imo. It drew upon the concepts and world established by the films and took them to bigger and better places, in a story that applies the Nietzsche idea of the Death of God to an omnipresent energy field that binds the Galaxy together and dictates the fates of all its inhabitants. It was deeper and more complex that any other story within the franchise and the diaogues with Kreia are truly some of the finest moments in the entire series. I fail to see how the first KotOR and it's fairly typical amnesiac story which did little to differentiate itself from other stories within the franchise and little to expand upon the ideas and concepts introduced by the films compares at all.

Lord Lucien
Better than Kotor's.

Atton>Carth
Kreia>Jolee (close Actually not that close. no expression)
Visas>Bastila (less whiny and generic)
Neo-HK-47>HK-47 retro
T3>T3
Hanharr>Zaalbar
Mandalore=Canderous (badassatude vs content= tie)
Handmaiden>Juhani
Bao-Dur/Mira> Mission (idk why) I'll give you Atton. He was funner.
Kreia was the epitome of annoying cryptic. I don't mind cryptic, but too much here. And Jolee is f*ckin awesome.
Both Wookiees I hated.
Canderous>Mandalore. The helmet got annoying, and I preferred Canderous'... "origin" more than Mandalore's.
Briana's okay. Mical's a proper l'il b*tch. At least I have fun pissing Junahi off/killing her.
T3>T3
HK-47--Yay!
Bao-Dur's okay. Visas was just a younger, nicer Kreia. Still cryptic, mystical, and f*cking annoying. Too much of it. Mission was still fun to mock/kill.

The KotOR II characters may have more dialogue and story, but I genuinely disliked a lot of them. Coupled with the Influence system (Obsidian did the same thing to New Vegas), I couldn't even get the full stories of some of them without sacrificing that of someone else. And every time I left/entered the ship--another cutscene of people talking. You'd need a Character Planner to get through them properly. The first game kept it simple, straightforward, and interesting. I'll always appreciate that more when the alternative is complicated, complex, and boring.

Nephthys
How can you dislike Kreia?! She's your mum! herbha-son2

Lord Lucien
KotOR II is the best story within the entire SW canon imo. It drew upon the concepts and world established by the films and took them to bigger and better places, in a story that applies the Nietzsche idea of the Death of God to an omnipresent energy field that binds the Galaxy together and dictates the fates of all its inhabitants. It was deeper and more complex that any other story within the franchise and the diaogues with Kreia are truly some of the finest moments in the entire series. I fail to see how the first KotOR and it's fairly typical amnesiac story which did little to differentiate itself from other stories within the franchise and little to expand upon the ideas and concepts introduced by the films compares at all. All of that would have been fine, if the game hadn't been so, goddamned, sluggish. It moved at a snail's pace. I don't about you, but I like to speak to every character, hear every conversation, do as much as possible etc. No game has made that more of a chore to accomplish that KotOR II.

How can you dislike Kreia?! She's your mum! herbha-son2 Shazbot!

Nephthys
Posted for being completely fvcking interesting

Seriously, read the two links, they're awesome.

Well, metaphorically at least....

Slash_KMC
It's also unfinished and when I first heard the Exile was the "last" of the Jedi I cringed. It made Sidious' accomplishment seem less spectacular.

ares834
Well thats a lie. Several other Jedi did survive including Bastilla. But still it does seem to be a superior purge.

Slash_KMC
I still think Sidious and Sion/N. were equally succesful as many Jedi also survived the second Purge.

Dr McBeefington
The Jedi Civil Wat achieved more than Order 66.

Darth Angel
I think you are misunderstanding me. I didn't say that kotor II was as weak as TFU II, but it has the same formula that made him pale when we look to kotor I.

First, it overpowers you. While you need a very good customization to get a powerhouse in KOTOR (powerhouse =/= god like), in KOTOR II you can get a god like character very easily, so powerful that I could enter in a room and walk through 10 sith lords and 20 assassins without breaking a sweat, all I had to do was casting force wave and force lightning. And that's not fun at all...

Second, the plot. Well, I think the ending says it all. When you are playing KOTOR, you feel you are someone and you are making something that will change forever the fate of the galaxy and the people that are close to you. So to say, save or enslave the galaxy, your actions has a purpose.

In Kotor II I could never feel that, I mean, just compare the epic begining of Kotor and the battle in the Endar Spire with the boring time you spent in Peragus...

About the characters, I will not arg about that, opinions are opinions, just saying that it's difficult for me to link with the characters if the game lacks purpose

Lord Lucien
I think you are misunderstanding me. I didn't say that kotor II was as weak as TFU II, but it has the same formula that made him pale when we look to kotor I.

First, it overpowers you. While you need a very good customization to get a powerhouse in KOTOR (powerhouse =/= god like), in KOTOR II you can get a god like character very easily, so powerful that I could enter in a room and walk through 10 sith lords and 20 assassins without breaking a sweat, all I had to do was casting force wave and force lightning. And that's not fun at all...

Second, the plot. Well, I think the ending says it all. When you are playing KOTOR, you feel you are someone and you are making something that will change forever the fate of the galaxy and the people that are close to you. So to say, save or enslave the galaxy, your actions has a purpose.

In Kotor II I could never feel that, I mean, just compare the epic begining of Kotor and the battle in the Endar Spire with the boring time you spent in Peragus...

About the characters, I will not arg about that, opinions are opinions, just saying that it's difficult for me to link with the characters if the game lacks purpose thumb up

truejedi
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
thumb up

Still have no idea what happened on Malachar 5... it was all glitchy to the point of incomprehensibility.

Lord Lucien
Then... Wookiee it?

truejedi
i have..still wasnt clear. what happened to the mechanic and his drone? and the bounty hunter chick? and all the companions really?

Lord Lucien
Nothing. Nothing was settled with any character. All we know is that Kreia died, and HK-47 wound up on Mustafar during the Imperial era. They obviously intended a sequel to be made to tie up the multitude of loose ends, but nothing came of it.

truejedi
ic, that's what i thought: So it was officially really stupid and pointless...

Nephthys
LucasArts 'needing' to make their quarterly happened. George needed another flannel shirt, solid gold Jabba or something. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Lord Lucien
Is, uh... is anyone else stoked about how we're actually discussing Star Wars for the first time in months?

Nephthys
Famous last words....

Lord Lucien
Famous last words.... John Sedgwick had the best last words: "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist--"

Slash_KMC
Originally posted by truejedi
Still have no idea what happened on Malachar 5... it was all glitchy to the point of incomprehensibility.

We have learned of the Ebon Hawk's ability to regenerate rapidly and that being a remote is pretty damn boring.

truejedi
pretty sure the Ebon Hawk is actually the Millenium Falcon when all is said and done.

Slash_KMC
Ebon Hawk = Millenium Falcon = Chosen One

My theory is that Palpatine survived falling down that shaft thingy but when the Millenium Falcon destroyed the Death Star, Palpatine was destroyed.

chilled monkey
Personally I like the idea that he is a clone. It reminds me of Ben Reilly/Scarlet Spider (Marvel).

I like the idea that even if he is genetically engineered he's no less alive and no less a hero than the original. I like the idea that rather than accept what he's told (i.e. he's just an experiment, not really alive etc), he chooses to say "no. Even if I am a clone, I think, I feel. I am alive and me will is my own."

Because genetics alone don't make one human.

As to TFU II itself, I am really looking forward to the novel.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.