Invisibility vs. Intangibility vs. Teleportation

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lunacyde
Which would you prefer....

A. IRL
B. In comics

Stipulations.

Invisibility- You can control when you are/aren't invisible. Anything you touch that doesn't weigh more than you you can turn invisible as well (Ex. Food, Clothing, VCRs)

Intangibility- You can control which parts of you are intangible and when you turn it on and off. You may also make objects that don't weigh more than you intangible.

Teleportation. -You have full control of your teleportation, it's instantaneous. You can carry anything that doesn't weigh more than you with you. You must either be able to see where you are teleporting, or have been there before. You don't have to travel through another nightmarish realm to teleport. You have a 1 mile teleportation range.

ThAnus_ofTITass
Originally posted by Lunacyde

A. IRL
B. In comics

Stipulations.

Invisibility- You can control when you are/aren't invisible. Anything you touch that doesn't weigh more than you you can turn invisible as well (Ex. Food, Clothing, VCRs)

Intangibility- You can control which parts of you are intangible and when you turn it on and off. You may also make objects that don't weigh more than you intangible.

Teleportation. -You have full control of your teleportation, it's instantaneous. You can carry anything that doesn't weigh more than you with you. You must either be able to see where you are teleporting, or have been there before. You don't have to travel through another nightmarish realm to teleport.

Teleportation

Lunacyde
I added a mile range for the teleportation to make it more even.

Mindset
Can we teleport into objects and die?

rotiart
Well if it's instant I choose teleportation... Thats Like the movie jumper... I'd rob the world blind. :-)

Digi
Any of these could make you insanely rich, used correctly. Invisibility would have the most chance of getting you killed/caught if discovered, however, so it would be the only one I'd avoid.

King Castle
depends how teleportation works..

do i need to visualize and know where i am going? is there a safety fail safe to keep me from porting into a wall?

invisibility could get me hit by a car or provoke another unforeseen accident causing harm to myself or others..

i probably just go with intangibility if i get basic control over said ability.

King Kandy
Teleportation, if you can't die using it. Then intangibility, assuming you don't fall through the ground the second you use it.

King Castle
rudimentary knowledge is a must for all of them otherwise you are screwed practicing it.

only one save to use for practice is invisibility

marwash22
Why did you put the limitations on the abilities?

Anyhow, teleportation, ftw! Have you seen Jumper? That's pretty much the life i would live... and with no pesky Paladins trying to string me up.

Lunacyde
I put limitations because I felt it was needed, with no rules people could come up with literally anything. Also I felt as if it made them more even, some people would probably claim they would instantly teleport from one side of the world to the other with a ferrari or something.

You couldn't jump like jumper, I gave a one mile limited range on teleporting.

Also with the telporting if you jumped somewhere you couldn't see or visualize from having been there before you very well could teleport into something and die.

Lunacyde
And yes, sorry I forgot about the whole intangible falling through the ground thing, just assume you wouldn't sink into the ground.

Lunacyde
I like how so many people's first thought is stealing money....didn't none of your Mama's teach you stealing is wrong?

Mindset
No.

D_Dude1210
You should give flight or at least levitation as a prerequisite power for intangibility. Otherwise, you won't be able to go anywhere... O_o you'll end up staying put or moving at the same direction nonstop prior to triggering the ability with no control over your movement (heaven help u if u accidentally sink into the ground while phased).

Lunacyde
Unfortunately I can't edit the OP now.....but that's what I meant :/

rotiart
1 mile... Instantly.... Assuming one second refers to an instant.. You could continually teleport away from a city so fast that after one hour youd be a couple states away. 360 minutes equals 360 miles... And if all u have to do is have seen it.... That's easy enough to see out it the open...

D_Dude1210
Unfortunately I can't edit the OP now.....but that's what I meant :/

Well, just post it here and it should be considered. smile I think within the first page is good enough.

Does being intangible mean I cant be affected by sound/light?

Q99
Teleportation! I'd love to be able to travel around and be places quicker and more easily, and there aren't many ways more quick and easy than that.

Warlord
Originally posted by Q99
Teleportation! I'd love to be able to travel around and be places quicker and more easily, and there aren't many ways more quick and easy than that.

no need to pay for gass too

Mindship
Teleportation. Overall, it seems the most useful.

Q99
Heck, I'd chose teleportation even if, oh, there was a cooldown period of a minute or two between jumps.

StyleTime
In real life, teleportation is hard to pass up. Even with these stipulations, it seems the most useful due to versatility. If stealing is your thing, it provides a fairly reliable method of theft. I would pick it mostly for practical usage though. Traveling via teleporting is just too good, even a mile at a time.

In comics, it's a harder choice. As I've said before, fighting is a lot more common in comics. I might opt for intangibility as it's seems more reliable. There's too many people with enhanced reflexes/speed that can catch teleporters and you could always just remain intangible naturally. Then again, teleporting might be more useful for saving people you care about but aren't standing by. I'm undecided on this one though.

Invisibility would definitely be fun for some things, but it's uses seem limited compared to the others.

Lunacyde
Originally posted by StyleTime
In real life, teleportation is hard to pass up. Even with these stipulations, it seems the most useful due to versatility. If stealing is your thing, it provides a fairly reliable method of theft. I would pick it mostly for practical usage though. Traveling via teleporting is just too good, even a mile at a time.

In comics, it's a harder choice. As I've said before, fighting is a lot more common in comics. I might opt for intangibility as it's seems more reliable. There's too many people with enhanced reflexes/speed that can catch teleporters and you could always just remain intangible naturally. Then again, teleporting might be more useful for saving people you care about but aren't standing by. I'm undecided on this one though.

Invisibility would definitely be fun for some things, but it's uses seem limited compared to the others.

I like this analysis, I suppose I'd have to agree....perhaps....Intangibility is really looking good too....

KingD19
It's really between teleportation and intangibility.

Teleportation- 1 mile at a time is a huge limit, but considering the applications like others have said, pretty awesome. For a criminal, you just scope out a bank, then wait till about 2am and teleport in. Boom bam, you take your haul, and you're back home before the alarm goes off or the police even get there.

Intangibility - Just as useful, but in a different way. You don't have the rapid transportation that teleporting provides, but you can always throw anyone off your trail by just running through whatevers around.

I think i'd take TP over the others though.

King Kandy
I put limitations because I felt it was needed, with no rules people could come up with literally anything. Also I felt as if it made them more even, some people would probably claim they would instantly teleport from one side of the world to the other with a ferrari or something.

You couldn't jump like jumper, I gave a one mile limited range on teleporting.

Also with the telporting if you jumped somewhere you couldn't see or visualize from having been there before you very well could teleport into something and die.
But if even if you have been there before, you could teleport where something has changed. For instance, I want some Panda Express. I teleport into line. Oops, the line is longer than it was yesterday, and I teleported into someone else who was standing there!

KingD19
Originally posted by King Kandy
But if even if you have been there before, you could teleport where something has changed. For instance, I want some Panda Express. I teleport into line. Oops, the line is longer than it was yesterday, and I teleported into someone else who was standing there!

That would be embarassing. eek!

Mindset
Originally posted by King Kandy
But if even if you have been there before, you could teleport where something has changed. For instance, I want some Panda Express. I teleport into line. Oops, the line is longer than it was yesterday, and I teleported into someone else who was standing there! I hate when that happens.

illadelph12
I'd pick teleportation. In real life it would be very convenient. In comics as well. Also, in comics, with this lone power I'd keep a lower profile than I would in the real world. Maybe only a couple thefts per year to keep the trail cold and stay off the radar of heroes/villains.

King Castle
didnt realize there would be heroes and villains in the real world...

srankmissingnin
I'm scared of teleportation. I remember there was a Startrek episode where the transporter malfunctioned and sent a copy of the dude to the destination but the original version was still left behind. It's supposed to destroy the body and the reassemble an identical copy on the other side. It's like a cloning process that destroys the original to make the clone... and as the original I'd rather not die so a clone of me can get to another destination easier.

King Castle
it was will riger that you are referring to.

what happen was the his signal was locked on and "transported" but the signal bounce back via the atmospheric storm back to his destination the transporter then locked on to the remaining signal and did some crap to strengthen and boost the remaining signal that was essentially split and transported to the ship anyways..

but, i think real science says all that is done by teleporting is cloning and destroying the original just like you said.

in the start trek series it is essentially the same but no one cares minus the original doctor who refuses to be teleported ever.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by King Castle
it was will riger that you are referring to.

what happen was the his signal was locked on and "transported" but the signal bounce back via the atmospheric storm back to his destination the transporter then locked on to the remaining signal and did some crap to strengthen and boost the remaining signal that was essentially split and transported to the ship anyways..

but, i think real science says all that is done by teleporting is cloning and destroying the original just like you said.

in the start trek series it is essentially the same but no one cares minus the original doctor who refuses to be teleported ever.

Doesn't sound good for the original... but I guess your family will be happy that your dirty no good clone got where he needed to go faster because of your death.

King Castle
for teleporting, the Folding space is better then the star trek teleporting or wormhole teleporting since i think you are crunch down in a wormhole

basically i want pip the troll version of porting or blink

Colossus-Big C
someone with all three powers would be unstoppable

Mindset
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
someone with all three powers would be unstoppable Not in comics.

horrorwolf
I for one would pay to watch some of you jokers trying to master these abilities. Talk about hilarious...

For me though, I'd go with Intangibility. Its an overall better, more precise super ability.

Digi
If we could pick the manner of teleportation, I'd be Spot. Hella-cool way to teleport.

King Castle
i think it be difficult to master all those spacial apertures...

if master you can go to the bathroom anywhere and no one would notice if not master you be the 1st to know..

"is it raining?"

Lunacyde
I just want to remind everyone you can only teleport with something that weighs less than you....so no grabbing like 300 lbs of gold and teleporting around :P...unless you weigh that much of course lol

KingD19
I weigh 286.....he he he. That's a lot of cash, and a lot of gold bars.

And like......2 relatively skinny chicks.

Lunacyde
Haha, which do you think would be easiest to keep a secret? I wouldn't want people after me because of my powers.

Lord Feron
Teleportation, I think it would be great. It would be like flying. Just look up into the sky and look at a cloud or focus on a distant point and try and teleport there. Keep on looking to the sky and you would just be "freefalling"toward wherever you wanted to go. I wouldn't even have to know where I'm going because i can always see the sky.

Also if you been to any building/home/store. Just teleport in get what you want and get out. Wanna watch a movie. Teleport into a theater. Wanna be in a club done.

Would get errands done sooo fast.

Also imagine the offensive capabilities. Teleport a stick with you and be in a spot where your stick is stuck in someone's head. Or if someone grabs you teleport yourself and however much of them you want to bring with you lol.

Lunacyde
I should have added shapeshifting as the 4th choice.

Bentley

Shapeshifting is better than Invisibility 99% of the time.

Lunacyde
But is it better than teleportation?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Bentley
Shapeshifting is better than Invisibility 99% of the time.
The only thing better than shapeshifting is having a girlfriend who's a shape-shifter.

Lunacyde
Nope....I'd rather be the shapeshifter...she could do all kinds of bad things with that power...

The Scenario
Are we applying real world logic to any of these?

For instance, if you could become intangible, even light would pass through you, netting you invisibility as well. But then you wouldn't be able to see. I've always had that problem with intangibility. If you can see them, light based attacks should work. If they can hear you, sound based attacks should work. Meh.

Same with invisibility if it works similarly. Can't be seen, but can't see.

Lunacyde
Originally posted by The Scenario
Are we applying real world logic to any of these?

For instance, if you could become intangible, even light would pass through you, netting you invisibility as well. But then you wouldn't be able to see. I've always had that problem with intangibility. If you can see them, light based attacks should work. If they can hear you, sound based attacks should work. Meh.

Same with invisibility if it works similarly. Can't be seen, but can't see.

No, I suppose we'd suspend these points of logic since that throws a major monkey wrench in the pwer :/

Omega Vision
Nope....I'd rather be the shapeshifter...she could do all kinds of bad things with that power...
Well the same rules would apply with a normal human girlfriend: don't piss her off.

The Scenario
No, I suppose we'd suspend these points of logic since that throws a major monkey wrench in the pwer :/

This is true.

I would still go with intangibility, though.

Lunacyde
I'd still rather be the one who is the shapeshifter.

All the applications I could use it for vastly outweighs being able to have sex with someone who can look like anyone.

Omega Vision
I'd still rather be the one who is the shapeshifter.

All the applications I could use it for vastly outweighs being able to have sex with someone who can look like anyone.
Stop thinking with your brain and start thinking with your penis you sorry excuse for a man. crackers

Bentley
If shapeshifting can make you tiny then you can pack intangibility as well. Teleportation seems like an invitation to die.

Lunacyde
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Stop thinking with your brain and start thinking with your penis you sorry excuse for a man. crackers

If you are the shapeshifter you can make yourself as handsome as you want and get any chick anyways...sorry I think with my brain...my penis has no problem with it.

Bentley
If you are the shapeshifter you can make yourself as handsome as you want and get any chick anyways...sorry I think with my brain...my penis has no problem with it.

Yeah, but you still can only get girls who are currently living on Earth, your penis lacks of ambition 131

psycho gundam

easily

Lord Feron
Originally posted by Bentley
If shapeshifting can make you tiny then you can pack intangibility as well. Teleportation seems like an invitation to die.

How? is it a invitation to die?

Lord Feron

Can I shapeshift into animals? Because that would be badass.

Black bolt z
Originally posted by Lord Feron
How? is it a invitation to die? What happens if you accidently teleport into a brick wall?

Lunacyde
You die :P

-Pr-
Originally posted by Black bolt z
What happens if you accidently teleport into a brick wall?

if you did, you deserve to die tbh. Natural selection and all...

Lord Feron
Yea well most of the time i'll just teleport to places I can see. Only if I really have to teleport to a place I been but think that nothing has moved.

Also havent you ever heard with great power comes great responsibility. big grin

Mindship
What's the difference between teleporting into a brick wall and teleporting in an atmosphere? Both are matter. What--the air gets "pushed out of the way"? What happens if you teleport underwater?

SamZED
Intangibility. Think of the options people! A hot chick walking by, you grab he dress and phase it.evil face

Black bolt z
Originally posted by Mindship
What's the difference between teleporting into a brick wall and teleporting in an atmosphere? Both are matter. What--the air gets "pushed out of the way"? What happens if you teleport underwater? Air is much less dense then your body whereas a brick wall isn't.I'd imagine that would make a big difference.Originally posted by -Pr-
if you did, you deserve to die tbh. Natural selection and all... laughing out loud

Omega Vision
You become fused on a molecular level to the wall, becoming...

WALL MAN!

With all the powers of a wall.

Black bolt z
You become fused on a molecular level to the wall, becoming...

WALL MAN!

With all the powers of a wall. You fall on the robbers catching them and killing them!And your pretty much immortal.Amazing strength...etc excellent

Colossus-Big C
LOL

Omega Vision
You fall on the robbers catching them and killing them!And your pretty much immortal.Amazing strength...etc excellent
And you can talk to walls.

Black bolt z
And you can talk to walls. That too.

"He ran down this alley and passed right be you?Well why didn't you stop him?"
Then

h1a8
Intangibility trumps all if one can fly with it. You can rule the world if you think about it.
One would be absolutely invincible and can go anywhere in the universe. I can inside the sun to see what's happening in it.
I can go to other planets and see if life is out there.

Even if there is no limit to teleportation, it would still suck since no one has spider sense and can get sniped. Also one couldn't leave the Earth and go to space either. So if a global disaster happened (like a huge asteroid hitting the Earth) then you will die.

psycho gundam
depends on the intangibility power, kitty shouldn't go near a star for a variety of reasons

StyleTime
H1, I think you're a little too concerned with fighting and improbable mass extinction events. In the real world, you should not be a sniping target dude.

In comics, I might agree with you though.

The space travel would be cool too, but wouldn't you need to eat?

marwash22
Invisibility - perverts
Intangibility - thieves
Teleportation - free spirits/travelers

StyleTime
I'm all of those things though.

marwash22
I'm all of those things though. whichever one is your dominant trait correlates to which power you would choose.

Though, i suppose "Thief" could also be classified as "money-hungry" or "greedy".

I hate being tied down and love going to new places, Teleportation would be my first choice.

psycho gundam
as if you'd even attempt to teleport if you had the power, too many ways to mess your life up

marwash22
Originally posted by psycho gundam
as if you'd even attempt to teleport if you had the power, too many ways to mess your life up nah, teleportation could be used fairly easily without arousing suspicion... as long as you don't go around showing off or pulling off heroics.

psycho gundam
i mean teleporting into a sand castle trying to go to a beach in ibiza or something

D_Dude1210
i mean teleporting into a sand castle trying to go to a beach in ibiza or something

OR teleporting inside a person/wall/pillar/furniture/fire that was just standing/built/moved to/caused at the location you're teleporting to recently.

Martian_mind
Intangibility.

Teleporting holds little interest for me. I like a good jog.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by D_Dude1210
OR teleporting inside a person/wall/pillar/furniture/fire that was just standing/built/moved to/caused at the location you're teleporting to recently. you would always have to be clear headed and be prepared before every jump destination

D_Dude1210
you would always have to be clear headed and be prepared before every jump destination

Yeah, I guess it depends on the nature of the teleportation power.

I mean if it was mostly thru wormholes that opens portals/doors (from memory) that you simply "step thru", the risks would be highly lowered as you wont end up materializing into walls or obstacles.

marwash22
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Intangibility.

Teleporting holds little interest for me. I like a good jog. how does teleportation effect your ability to jog?Originally posted by psycho gundam
you would always have to be clear headed and be prepared before every jump destination tsk, you can say the same thing about Intangibility; if you lose focus with that power, you'd end up falling through the ground and into the Earth's core. erm

Razior
Invisibility would like live in a womens lockeroom and mall

King Castle
i would probably go all hollow man if i had invisibility

Razior

Yeah Shapeshifting would be the best!

marwash22
Originally posted by Razior
Invisibility would like live in a womens lockeroom and mall Originally posted by King Castle
i would probably go all hollow man if i had invisibility
Originally posted by marwash22
Invisibility - perverts see what i mean?!

psycho gundam
how does teleportation effect your ability to jog? tsk, you can say the same thing about Intangibility; if you lose focus with that power, you'd end up falling through the ground and into the Earth's core. erm nope. op said that you have control over what portions you want to make immaterial, so in the initial stages of playing around with the power, if i were to try sinking into the floor i would just keep my arms solid and slowly decrease density in my lower half

teleportation doesn't really give you any room to experiment without extensive preparations.

Razior
laughing out loud

King Castle
you know what would make invisibility more interesting, if their was pain involvement like the hollow man movie

StyleTime
whichever one is your dominant trait correlates to which power you would choose.

Though, i suppose "Thief" could also be classified as "money-hungry" or "greedy".

I hate being tied down and love going to new places, Teleportation would be my first choice.
I was just joking.
teleportation doesn't really give you any room to experiment without extensive preparations.
Teleport to areas within your line of sight if you want practice. Open fields would be a nice place too.

marwash22
nope. op said that you have control over what portions you want to make immaterial, so in the initial stages of playing around with the power, if i were to try sinking into the floor i would just keep my arms solid and slowly decrease density in my lower half

teleportation doesn't really give you any room to experiment without extensive preparations. sure. It's not like you couldn't pratice in your living room. You can start with just a few feet, then try going to the next room, etc...

Also, the way the OP described it, it's the kind where all you need is an imprint on the destination, like in the movie Jumper. The chances of you porting into a wall are very slim.

h1a8
depends on the intangibility power, kitty shouldn't go near a star for a variety of reasons

Why couldn't she?

And would you consider that she has true or absolute intangibility?

H1, I think you're a little too concerned with fighting and improbable mass extinction events. In the real world, you should not be a sniping target dude.

In comics, I might agree with you though.

The space travel would be cool too, but wouldn't you need to eat? Well I assume intangibility is true intangibility. That means nothing can hurt you. You will get sniped by the government when they find out you can teleport. I'm more concerned with living a mighty long time (if not forever) and teleportation would grant me a very short life span.

marwash22
how exactly is intangibility going to keep you from getting sniped? unless you plan on walking around in that mode for the rest of your life, you're just as susceptible to being sniped as a person with teleportation.

Omega Vision
I think h1a8 is talking about being a ghost...which would suck.

King Kandy
Teleport to areas within your line of sight if you want practice. Open fields would be a nice place too.
Just hope that a bee or something doesn't fly into where you want your body to appear, or you'll die.

Blair Wind
According to comics (again, comic book logic), if you teleport into a person/living thing they explode and you are fine. And since this is a purely hypothetical scenario, we could just assume that logic works.

Either way, Jumper/Spot style teleporting would be amazing.

KingD19
I like the Jumper style teleporting cuz you build up momentum. Run full speed, then do like 10 jumps before you hit somebody, knock em through a wall and out the other side of the building.

marwash22
Originally posted by KingD19
I like the Jumper style teleporting cuz you build up momentum. Run full speed, then do like 10 jumps before you hit somebody, knock em through a wall and out the other side of the building. yeah, Jumper had a great style. I liked that you could jump objects already in motion. Is that something Naightcrawler has done?

psycho gundam
^ yes, which is why it is so damn dangerous

vanisher had the far better teleportation power (before it was retconned to being tied to the darkforce dimension), no negative effects

he just wills teleporting into a bankvault and it's all gravy.

Martian_mind
how does teleportation effect your ability to jog?

If I enjoy the physical strain of getting from point A to point B, then the ability to remove that would be kinda pointless.

KingD19
Originally posted by Martian_mind
If I enjoy the physical strain of getting from point A to point B, then the ability to remove that would be kinda pointless.

Just because you can teleport doesn't mean you lose your ability to jog. You can still go jogging all the damn time if you want, you can just teleport home if you're tired, or run out of gas on a long trip or something.

Parmaniac
I like the Spots teleportation, if you wanna call it teleportation.

marwash22
Originally posted by Parmaniac
I like the Spots teleportation, if you wanna call it teleportation. more like wormholes.

^ yes, which is why it is so damn dangerous

vanisher had the far better teleportation power (before it was retconned to being tied to the darkforce dimension), no negative effects

he just wills teleporting into a bankvault and it's all gravy. you mean the brimstone dimension? even still, his power has no downsides to it. he never teleports into objects, he has teleported across across the globe in a single leap with no strain and can carry much more mass than kurt.

Colossus-Big C
wouldnt a real person with intangebility sink to the core of the earth?

marwash22
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
wouldnt a real person with intangebility sink to the core of the earth? the idea would be that you're "floating/walking on air"... like Kitty.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.