Asajj Ventress vs Darth Maul

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jinsoku Takai
All out - I don't care if it's been done already, I'm posting it anyway.

Slash_KMC
I know where you got the inspiration for this...

Jinsoku Takai
... shifty ... I don't know what you're talking about Slash.

Omega Vision
Maul 8-9/10

NCRotCA
Asajj Ventress - ~6/10. I believe that with her performances against the likes of Anakin and Obi-Wan, her defeat over Kit Fisto, in the field of lightsaber combat, and her performance in the Force battle against Master Fay, she's the superior overall fighter.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by NCRotCA
Asajj Ventress - ~6/10. I believe that with her performances against the likes of Anakin and Obi-Wan, her defeat over Kit Fisto, in the field of lightsaber combat, and her performance in the Force battle against Master Fay, she's the superior overall fighter.

Nah.. Her performances against Anakin and Obiwan were all pre- Rots, and she never once defeated either of them in a fair fight.

Defeating Fisto is good but Maul defeated Anoon and Qui-Gon.

I say Maul wins with difficulty.

NCRotCA
It's close for sure but I think that at her best she's quite a bit better than the likes of Fisto, Anoon and Qui-Gon. So is Maul, but not to quite the extent that Asajj is based on all evidence. Many of her strong performances against Obi-Wan and Anakin were pretty close to RotS, and their battle in Obsession, which was only a couple of months before RotS is of particular note, where she takes both of them on single handedly on completely even footing. It's worth noting that her improvement rate was pretty huge throughout the Clone Wars due to how relatively untrained and inexperienced she was before they had begun, meaning that a lot of her really solid showings, such as her defeat over Kit Fisto, which occured a couple of months after the war's beginning, was followed by some pretty significant improvement. Her performance against Master Fay, an extremely powerful and legendary Jedi Master, shouldn't be overlooked either. That she came within moments of defeating someone that impressive speaks pretty highly for her Force ability. She's also demonstrated herself to be a very cunning fighter, which I think could be what really makes the difference between the two of them in an overall engagement. She's shown herself to be capable of using the environment around her very resourcefully, and will often execute a Force attack seamlessly within a lightsaber exchange. She's the more impressive out of the two of them imo. Good fight though...

DARTH POWER
Hey shes tough, no doubt about that.. And I agree she dramatically improved througout the Clone Wars, probably due to her training from Count Dooku.

And yes either CW Anakin or Obi-wan would have difficulty with her. But the fact is they have both defeated her at some point one on one. But she has never defeated either of them one on one.

Btw in Obsession Obi-wan wanst trying to hurt her and was also telling Anakin to hold back.

But to me it comes down to someone who was chosen by Dooku trained by him only for a couple of years, whilst trained by witches (and possibly a jedi) most her life.

Or the One who was chosen by Sidious himself to be his Sith Apprentice, and put through his unparalled training regime from a young age. Id go with Maul every time.

Jinsoku Takai
Originally posted by NCRotCA
It's close for sure but I think that at her best she's quite a bit better than the likes of Fisto, Anoon and Qui-Gon. So is Maul, but not to quite the extent that Asajj is based on all evidence. Many of her strong performances against Obi-Wan and Anakin were pretty close to RotS, and their battle in Obsession, which was only a couple of months before RotS is of particular note, where she takes both of them on single handedly on completely even footing. It's worth noting that her improvement rate was pretty huge throughout the Clone Wars due to how relatively untrained and inexperienced she was before they had begun, meaning that a lot of her really solid showings, such as her defeat over Kit Fisto, which occured a couple of months after the war's beginning, was followed by some pretty significant improvement. Her performance against Master Fay, an extremely powerful and legendary Jedi Master, shouldn't be overlooked either. That she came within moments of defeating someone that impressive speaks pretty highly for her Force ability. She's also demonstrated herself to be a very cunning fighter, which I think could be what really makes the difference between the two of them in an overall engagement. She's shown herself to be capable of using the environment around her very resourcefully, and will often execute a Force attack seamlessly within a lightsaber exchange. She's the more impressive out of the two of them imo. Good fight though...

What evidence? How do her battles w/ Kenobi and Skywalker relate to how Maul would fare against them? Your claims don't add up.

NCRotCA
Well Maul certainly defeats her in the training department, however I think with Asajj it comes down to superior potential trumping superior training. It's certainly reflected in their respective showings, I feel, and it's not as if Asajj hasn't shown herself to be capable of competing with some of the most powerful Jedi in the Order with decades of experience. It's quite possible that Maul wasn't truly gifted with that great of a potential in the first place, and is more of a product of his considerable training. If you refer to Borbarad's post in the NJO vs Ancient Sith Empire thread it's made quite clear that Sidious wouldn't have neccessarily had the greatest freedom of choice when it came to selecting an apprentice, so Maul might have simply been the best out of a small selection. Either way it seems we both agree that this would be close, I think we should just agree to disagree on who would be the exact victor.

Originally posted by
Jinsoku Takai: 7
What evidence? How do her battles w/ Kenobi and Skywalker relate to how Maul would fare against them? Your claims don't add up.

It's a demonstration of ability against combatants who have demonstrated their prowess, both relative to those around them, and absolutely against certain constants, which consequently enables a comparison of achievements between the two parties involved, which while not absolute, remains suggestive of the outcome in question. It's called applying probability within the confines of limited data.

Understand?

Jinsoku Takai
Ventress' duels with said combatants, and Maul's conceptual duel with said combatants are unrelated. In other words, that logic doesn't stand.

NCRotCA
Clearly you need to brush up on your basic statistics. Events are mutually exclusive when one prevents the possibility of the other taking place. Ventress having fought Anakin and Obi-Wan does not preclude a hypothetical engagement between Maul and the same characters from being considered. In other words: no.

NCRotCA
Not that that is what's directly being considered.

DARTH POWER
I dnt see why Sidious wuldnt have his Pick of any and all jedi rejects in the galaxy.. (jedi reject doesnt mean theyre not powerful btw, just not appropriate for jedi training e.g. may be too old, or have too much anger fear e.t.c).

But I think its clear Maul was at the very least a physical beast. Add that to his unparalled training in the hand to hand combat, and that alone would make Maul superior (assuming Maul and Ventress have similar force potential)

I realise a lot of this would be speculation considering Maul wasnt around very long, and fought different people to Ventress, and was gone Long before the clone wars. But my guess would be TPM Maul would probably be a decent match for CW Obi-Wan or CW Anakin for that matter, neither of whom can defeat Ventress EASILY, but can certainly defeat her.

Also its quite worrying Ventress culdnt touch an unarmed Obi-Wan. I have a feeling if Obiwan was unarmed in front of Maul he would probably be pretty scared!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.