City Life Vs. Country Life

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ladyyaya
The city is an exciting place, and although I like visiting the countryside on vacation, I prefer having people nearby who would be there if I need a hand with something. It would be scary to me if my car broke down in the middle of nowhere, or I got lost down some long, winding road. Plus, the city always has something going on-events, new restaurants, etc. I wouldn't want to live inner-city, I like being on the outskirts of town, but that is the closest I would go. I don't like bugs. I don't like driving much either. I am not one for dressing up too much, but I like to once in a while. I did stay on a farm once for two weeks, and it was a nice change. I would have probably gotten bored had I stayed any longer, though.

Living in the city means being around more stores, people, jobs, and fewer distances to get from one place to another. Roads are generally easier to navigate (especially in inclement weather with road crews out plowing and laying down salt), and trash pick-up is well-attended.

Living in the country sets you back from the frantic pace of the modern day. Not to say you're living the life of a hermit in the 1880's, but not as many modern things are needed out in the country. You have nature in abundance, rather than in selected plots surrounded by a parking lot. You have larger distances between neighbors, hence more yard space for the kids. Homes are also cheaper.

It all depends, then, on what your preference is on where you'd be happiest. If you like to be around people, don't like being out in the Sun much, and would not want to drive through a few miles of cornfields just to get to the nearest shopping center, then the country is not for you. And if you have anxiety attacks, are an outdoorsy person, or enjoy animals, country living wouldn't be all that bad for you.

Stoic
Originally posted by ladyyaya
The city is an exciting place, and although I like visiting the countryside on vacation, I prefer having people nearby who would be there if I need a hand with something. It would be scary to me if my car broke down in the middle of nowhere, or I got lost down some long, winding road. Plus, the city always has something going on-events, new restaurants, etc. I wouldn't want to live inner-city, I like being on the outskirts of town, but that is the closest I would go. I don't like bugs. I don't like driving much either. I am not one for dressing up too much, but I like to once in a while. I did stay on a farm once for two weeks, and it was a nice change. I would have probably gotten bored had I stayed any longer, though.

Living in the city means being around more stores, people, jobs, and fewer distances to get from one place to another. Roads are generally easier to navigate (especially in inclement weather with road crews out plowing and laying down salt), and trash pick-up is well-attended.

Living in the country sets you back from the frantic pace of the modern day. Not to say you're living the life of a hermit in the 1880's, but not as many modern things are needed out in the country. You have nature in abundance, rather than in selected plots surrounded by a parking lot. You have larger distances between neighbors, hence more yard space for the kids. Homes are also cheaper.

It all depends, then, on what your preference is on where you'd be happiest. If you like to be around people, don't like being out in the Sun much, and would not want to drive through a few miles of cornfields just to get to the nearest shopping center, then the country is not for you. And if you have anxiety attacks, are an outdoorsy person, or enjoy animals, country living wouldn't be all that bad for you.

Your post reminds me of someone that I know. The only things that I can say to you is that you really only live once. You should take into consideration, that while living ten miles west of bubbafuk does mean a certain sense of peace, and serenity it also at the same time means that you should also consider how difficult it would be to get to something as simple as a hospital, or store/pharmacy.

Insects would be a real challenge as well. The reality of making any move is the realization whether it be to the country, or overseas, is that once you root yourself in, it becomes difficult to uproot yourself. My teacher told me once, that a rolling stone never collects any moss. I suggest that you take some time, and truly decide where it is that you want to be in the future, because as we get older, things like leaving the place that we've called home for several years becomes less and less of a reality, and more of a fantasy.

Bicnarok

ADarksideJedi
I like the country life it is calm and not noicy and there is not alot of crime here then there is in a big city.

Paul79UF
My girl and I "lived" in a somewhat remote area of New Zealand for a few months. It was definitely very peaceful especially since our rental house had a view of Lake Taupo (the largest lake in the country).

But I did think about stuff like how long would the ambulance or medical helicopter take to come rescue us if something went horribly wrong.

I like being in the suburb near a major city with an international airport for many of the reasons already mentioned.

Living out in the country sure is nice for a vacation though. smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.