DC Comics to Lower Prices

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Nuul
DC Comics to Lower Prices
October 11, 2010

Beginning January 2011, DC Comics will implement a line-wide pricing adjustment, lowering the prices of all standard length 32-page ongoing comic book titles currently priced at $3.99 to $2.99, it was announced today by DC Comics Co-Publishers Jim Lee and Dan DiDio.

"Today's announcement re-affirms DC Comics' commitment to both our core fans and to comic book store retailers," said Jim Lee, DC Comics Co-Publisher. "For the long term health of the industry, we are willing to take a financial risk so that readers who love our medium do not abandon the art form."

"As Co-Publishers, we listened to our fans and to our partners in the retail community who told us that a $3.99 price point for 32 pages was too expensive. Fans were becoming increasingly reluctant to sample new titles and long term fans were beginning to abandon titles and characters that they'd collected for years." said Dan DiDio, DC Comics Co-Publisher. "We needed a progressive pricing strategy that supports our existing business model and, more importantly, allows this creative industry to thrive for years to come. With the exceptions of oversized comic books, like annuals and specials, we are committed to a $2.99 price point."

http://www.dccomics.com/wildstorm/news/?nw=16549

http://www.dccomics.com/wildstorm/news/?nw=16551

The Nuul
AWESOME! Eat shit Marvel.

-Pr-
Marvel announced the same thing soon after, but it has NOTHING to do with DC doing it... Obviously.

The Nuul
Oh, didnt see that! but yeah, it obviously has nothing to do with DC. Its not like theres competition or anything like that.

Bentley
Good move of DC forcing Marvel into lowering their prizes. I can already see Marvel cancelling cool series in order to keep competitive.

The Nuul
Hulk, Wolverine, Thor and DP are first to go.

Bentley
Originally posted by The Nuul

If at least it was true sad

Stoic
I had a problem a while back, I had to give up reading comics because of exactly what was written above. Then I discovered the CLUB. evil face

roughrider
Well, I guess if you're having economic problems and people aren't buying your series, you lower prices. wink

-Pr-
Originally posted by roughrider
Well, I guess if you're having economic problems and people aren't buying your series, you lower prices. wink

that would be true if a good portion of the comics being priced lower weren't brand new series that start at that price point.

BruceSkywalker
i am just glad i don;t have to spend an extra dollar on the comics i buy

endofthemovie
It's about time! I can deal with a few more ads, I'm broke... It'll be nice to be able to afford comics again.

roughrider
I buy the collected editions anyway; not a single issue guy anymore.

RE: Blaxican
What the hell are you guys talking about?

I mean, I guess maybe I'm not seeing the big picture, because I don't collect comics, but... it's only $1. no expression Like, even if you decided to just splurge and buy ten comics in one month, you'd be saving ten dollars. no expression For that month. no expression

StyleTime
Well, it's certainly better than not saving that $10.

Galan007
So the savings basically equates to buy 3, get 1 free. Not a bad gimmick... Though I'd be willing to bet that downloading has killed sales more then the economy has. /shrug

Warlord

Galan007
Yep.

Imo, the best way for the comic industry to stay alive would be to embrace downloading somehow -- kind of like iTunes did with music.

roughrider
Well, even putting aside downloading - getting constant updates on a character or series on Wikipedia, has taken away some of the reason to buy just to find out what's happened recently.
I mean, I discovered Wikipedia by joining here five years ago, and seeing it in use.

Kazenji
Originally posted by The Nuul

I doubt it for Wolverine when its finally got a decent writer on it.

Juntai
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
What the hell are you guys talking about?

I mean, I guess maybe I'm not seeing the big picture, because I don't collect comics, but... it's only $1. no expression Like, even if you decided to just splurge and buy ten comics in one month, you'd be saving ten dollars. no expression For that month. no expression Or, you know, if you buy ten comics a week, that's 40 dollars that month.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by Galan007
Yep.

Imo, the best way for the comic industry to stay alive would be to embrace downloading somehow -- kind of like iTunes did with music. Yea, they'll have to. Hate to say that, but it's true.

Sr J-Bieb
Originally posted by Galan007
So the savings basically equates to buy 3, get 1 free. Not a bad gimmick... Though I'd be willing to bet that downloading has killed sales more then the economy has. /shrug You think people were going to buy the comics anyway in a lot of those cases?

Galan007
Hell no.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.