Postal Service Ends 2010 with $8.5 Billion Loss

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stoic

dadudemon
Problem is retaining old school policies.

Cancel every last retirement account and they will bridge about half of their debt. (I could not find a source.)

I support this type of government agency: completely funded by the people in voluntary actions. Want to mail a letter? Pay for it. Want to have something delivered to you? Either you or the merchant pays for it. Very simple system that avoids taxing many people that do not even use the system.

I know, how conservative of me. I'm a big fiscal conservative!

Stoic
Originally posted by dadudemon
Problem is retaining old school policies.

Cancel every last retirement account and they will bridge about half of their debt. (I could not find a source.)

I support this type of government agency: completely funded by the people in voluntary actions. Want to mail a letter? Pay for it. Want to have something delivered to you? Either you or the merchant pays for it. Very simple system that avoids taxing many people that do not even use the system.

I know, how conservative of me. I'm a big fiscal conservative!

I understand how you feel, but do we really need a post office? Do we need paper books? We live in a digital age, and as such, everything is becoming virtual. Its sad to say, but one day sending a post card through the mail may not be a possibility. You may have to send it online. I'm taking a course in network infrastructure design, and believe me when I tell you this. Everything is about to become virtual with this new age of programming called cloud computing.

I can even see the OSI 7 layer model being called the OSI 4 layer model in the future, where most hardware is simply done away with, and replaced with virtual networks. Sorry for getting off the subject, but one of the main reasons that the USPS may not be bailed out is because of what I just said.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Stoic
Sorry for getting off the subject, but one of the main reasons that the USPS may not be bailed out is because of what I just said.

lol, the subject gets you off. HA!

But, yeah, I mosly agree.

However, there will always remain a "tangible" element. It will not be relegated to just novelty, either. There will always be a significant "tangible" portion for humans because we are still animals.

Unless we come up with a Matrix (like the movies) with a complete VR. I had this discussion with my classmate, last night, in our database design class. smile She thought that "young people" were too detached and I said that we aren't anywhere close to being detached and we are networking with those around us even more than we ever have (back in the day, you had a small group of people that you interacted with, each day, simply due to it all having to be in person (for the most part) but these days, you can literally talk to hundreds of people, each day). She said our communications are becoming less and less emotional because of how much text communication is occuring these days. I then countered stating that Thomas Jefferson did not have the angry smilie to put in his Declaration of Independence. (And I got lulz from that statement, too. hehehehehe!)

chomperx9
I say go green and stick to online payments and emails

Mindship
All I want to know is: when will mail delivery on Saturday end?

Pig Newtons
I bet they pass this onto the consumer.

My idea is to let the postal service be commercialized. But the gov't would regulate it, and provide oversight, obviously.

You know Wal Mart and McDonalds would be all over that shit.

Paul79UF
Originally posted by chomperx9
I say go green and stick to online payments and emails

That'll happen soon enough. My dad still mails in a paper check and envelope for every damn bill.

I'm tried to show him how to use the Bank of America online bill pay system, or to set up automatic credit card payments for his cell phone.

<sigh>

Symmetric Chaos
I'm more impressed that they saved 9 billion dollars.

Darth Jello
Postal Service has to be there. It's established in the constitution. I say kill several birds with one stone and nationalize the airlines. That'll solve the problem.

Stoic
You know what? Looking at the scope of the SOX act (Sarbanes-Oxley) and it's ramifications in terms of future mega corporation scaling, it looks to me like globalization is well on it's way to becoming the standard financial model. 3 words. ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT. Who knows one day all postal branches world wide may be called WWPS or World Wide Postal Service.

Symmetric Chaos
You know what? Looking at the scope of the SOX act (Sarbanes-Oxley) and it's ramifications in terms of future mega corporation scaling, it looks to me like globalization is well on it's way to becoming the standard financial model. 3 words. ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT. Who knows one day all postal branches world wide may be called WWPS or World Wide Postal Service.

I thought the SOX Act was, if anything, bad for mega corporations. Although the fact that it made trying to kill whistleblowers a crime is rather frightening.

inimalist
3 words. ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT.

/tremble in fear

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.