KMC Award for Best Villain Redux

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Snafu the Great
This time, I'm revamping the award for best villain. Instead of me picking the nominees, you get to choose which baddie gets the title and why.

Me personally, it comes down to Sephiroth, Al Wesker and Queen Myrrah; Sephiroth for stabbing defenseless flower girls in the back, and Wesker and Myrrah for their genocidal plans in regards to humanity (Myrrah holding the edge over Wesker for actually executing said plans).

Who should take the title home?

Digi
ZOMG SEPHIROTH!!!11111

/thread

Realistically? No clue. Maybe Gannon(dorf).

NemeBro
IMO? Ganondorf, though it may just be because he is my favorite.

Powerful, intelligent, cruel, unredeemingly evil, a viable threat to the world and the heroes, and just reeks of a certain "coolness" that I always find appealing.

Some honorable mentions, villains I personally liked in gaming at least, are characters such as GLaDOS, the Reapers, Jack of Blades, Terumi Yuuki, Zeus, and probably some more I forget.

RE: Blaxican
Those are all stupid choices except for the Reapers! DJ Harbinger is the best villain. uhuh

Second best villain is General Shepherd, if only for the shock value, and because of his motives.

NemeBro
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Those are all stupid choices except for the Reapers. DJ Harbinger is the best villain.

Second best villain is General Shepherd, if only for the shock value, and because of his motives. The year? I assumed this was overall.

Harbinger is pretty boss.

After playing insanity, I have dreams about "I AM ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL."

I think it is overall, I just narrowed the second choice down to this year because there's too many villains to name.

Was joking about Harbinger though, he's just "cool". Kerrigan is the greatest VG villain in history, imo. I've never played a game where by it's end I legitimately wanted a character to die.

NemeBro
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
I think it is overall, I just narrowed the second choice down to this year because there's too many villains to name.

Was joking about Harbinger though, he's just "cool". Kerrigan is the greatest VG villain in history, imo. I've never played a game where by it's end I legitimately wanted a character to die. Stfu.

The Reapers are bawss, mechanical eldritch horrors at their finest, IMO. Kerrigan sux, GTFO with your Starcraft bullshit boi. estahuh

I cannot really judge a character based on hateability because... I tend to love villains who are irredeemably evil and monstrous. no expression

No character has ever made me hate them for evil or cruelty alone.

BackFire
Kefka. Never felt such hatred for a video game character.

jinXed by JaNx
kefka is a good choice for sure, but i also liked Sin from X or always...,Hazuma from Tekken

-Pr-
Recently? Shephard in MW2.

Of all time? M. Bison in terms of hatred.

Story wise, Shinra as a corporation i guess...

Nephthys
Kreia- one of the most brilliant, certainly the most interesting villian I've ever come across. Probably helps that you can actually talk to her for 90% of the game. Nihilus also gets mad props just for atmosphere and coolness factor (let down by a crappy boss fight obviously).

Irenicus also get a mention if only because his voice actor took what could have been an otherwise flat role and really brought the character alive. Plus having one of the hardest boss fights ever with the Ascention mod.

Also SHODAN, Psycho Mantis, Dracula, GLaDOS, Jack of Blades, Bison, Nemesis, Lavos, Kain, Saren, Lezard, Akatchi the Betrayer etc etc.

Q'Anilia
I'd say Deathwing from Warcraft, but I could be a little biased, or a little ignorant on other villains.

It's probably both. 313

dadudemon
Greatest video game villain of all time?

EASY...

Right wing conservatives.

I am dead serious.

Inside of the video game worlds? Harbinger was pretty damn cool. The awesomeness and hopelessness that he brought was pretty dang solid. I wasn't "scared" but I certainly thought it a good villain as it brought a pretty dang good picture of what a villain should be.

Jack of Blades, as well. Just a good story from start to finish, imo.

Word.

Vx0-K4A6jrw

FinalAnswer
AM from the I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream game

iw-88h-LcTk

har har har

Also, Andrew Ryan

NCRotCA
The Patriots in Metal Gear Solid for sure.

Kefka's always been really overrated as a villain imo. To this day I still don't know what so many people see in him.

Digi
M. Bison from SFII was such a cheap sonovabitch. Yeah, I'd like to kick him in the nuts. Not a great villain but a memorable one because of that.

Phanteros
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
AM from the I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream game

iw-88h-LcTk

har har har

Also, Andrew Ryan AM didn't originate in a game.

Phanteros
I think best villian of the year so far goes Satan from Lords of Shadow.

NemeBro
But Mass Effect 2 was released this year.

Which is another way of saying Harbinger was a villain originating from a game this year.

Which is another way of saying you're WRONG. estahuh

Nephthys
This isn't Best Villian of the year though. Its Best Villian in general. Which is why the OP talks about Sephiroth etc.

http://images.killermovies.com/forums/customsmilies/estahuh.gif?

Snafu the Great
Originally posted by Nephthys
This isn't Best Villian of the year though. Its Best Villian in general. Which is why the OP talks about Sephiroth etc.

http://images.killermovies.com/forums/customsmilies/estahuh.gif?

My bad. Shoulda been more specific. It's Best Villain in a action/RPG game.

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by Phanteros
AM didn't originate in a game.

Dun care, still better then everyone else 131

NCRotCA
Originally posted by Snafu the Great
My bad. Shoulda been more specific. It's Best Villain in a action/RPG game.

In an RPG game? That title would belong to Deus from Xenogears (notable for holding God captive within his physical form and giving birth to humanity on the local planet of the Ahnenerbe in order to bring about the restoration of its power, and essentially being responsible for the activities of -The Mother-, Miang -The Complement-, Cain, and the entire Gazel Ministry, as well as the general nature of humanity). The being that essentially shaped the profound story of Xenogears.

I don't know why you even bother saying "I'm not Neb". Reflex, I guess?

Anyway, Xenogears sucks. Best RPG/Adventure villain is DJ Harbinger.

NCRotCA
If DJ Harbinger is anywhere near as lame as he sounds I can only assume he makes for a incredibly poor villain.

NemeBro
Its name is just Harbinger, no DJ.

People like to ignore his career choice, but I don't hold it against him.

NCRotCA
He was involved in the music business?

NCRotCA
Deus created a world and humanity that mirrored the realisation and resolution of the Oedipus Complex and the basic desire to "return to one", was able to trap -The Wave Existence- within the Zohar, and spawned the eternal recurrence of contact between Cain and Abel -The Contact- and -The Wave Existence- that would only be resolved by the union of -The Contact- and -The Mother- of the planet, essentially inexorably linking the resolution of the Oedipus Complex with the eternal recurrence and with the return of The Wave Existence to the higher demension "where everything was one". The Gazel Ministry, Cain, -The Mother-, and Miang, each one a villain that would otherwise qualify as potential best VG villains of all time if not for deu's existence, were essentially extensions of its will, and humanity, which Deus gave birth to, gave realisation to villains like Krelian, Grahf, Id, and Stein who would also qualify, as well as the Solaris and Ethos organisations which as representative bodies would also. What has harbinger done?

NemeBro
I did not read a word you said, because I really do not care.

NCRotCA
It was not for your benefit.

NCRotCA
An article on the subject actually: http://guardian.leamonde.net/analysis/antran_oedipal.shtml

Nemesis X
Originally posted by NCRotCA
Deus created a world and humanity that mirrored the realisation and resolution of the Oedipus Complex and the basic desire to "return to one", was able to trap -The Wave Existence- within the Zohar, and spawned the eternal recurrence of contact between Cain and Abel -The Contact- and -The Wave Existence- that would only be resolved by the union of -The Contact- and -The Mother- of the planet, essentially inexorably linking the resolution of the Oedipus Complex with the eternal recurrence and with the return of The Wave Existence to the higher demension "where everything was one". The Gazel Ministry, Cain, -The Mother-, and Miang, each one a villain that would otherwise qualify as potential best VG villains of all time if not for deu's existence, were essentially extensions of its will, and humanity, which Deus gave birth to, gave realisation to villains like Krelian, Grahf, Id, and Stein who would also qualify, as well as the Solaris and Ethos organisations which as representative bodies would also.

...I did not understand any of that.

Other than mind control a species to capture thousands of humans to liquify alive and have their mass sucked into a giant robot via tubes just to fuel it? Nothing.

If this thread was which villain of 2010 performed the most gruesome plot, Harbinger would win for sure.

NemeBro
Well using Harbinger seems kinda meh, since it is really just the Reapers as a whole.

NCRotCA
Originally posted by Nemesis X
...I did not understand any of that.

Other than mind control a species to capture thousands of humans to liquify alive and have their mass sucked into a giant robot via tubes just to fuel it? Nothing.

If this thread was which villain of 2010 performed the most gruesome plot, Harbinger would win for sure.

Sounds very generic, and incredibly lame.

You're not allowed to have an opinion on this Neb. Back to the SWVF with you!

Cyner
Harbinger is still a great DJ, however I have to agree with NemeBro. Ganondorf just has the most personality and his cool evil style is too good.

§P0oONY
Porky - Mother 3

BloodRawEngine
Lucifer in Dante's Inferno was an absolute dick. An almost likeable one in a way, due in part to the great performances from the VAs.

Example:
VJYlu4vXSqo

See that f'ing look he gives at around 1:50? That's not even counting the fact that he and Dante's woman are burying their faces under one-another's tounges.

EDIT: We also need a Heavy Rain sequel just so Lt. Blake can die. Mandatorily.

Ridley_Prime
A lot of the said villains in this thread can go suck a dick. Pretty much agree with what was said about Ganon and what not, though.

NemeBro
**** yeah I'm a bawss, Ganondorf ftw.

NCRotCA
As an icon? Perhaps (although even then someone like Bowser should easily make #1). As a character? Hell no.

NemeBro
Leave my forum and go back to the comfort of Xenogears.

Nephthys
Ganon's kinda weighed down by his half-dozen or so consecutive defeats imo.

Its the same thing when people try and pass Bowser off as no1. The guy gets his ass kicked on a weekly basis. How is that good villian material?

The Scenario
Being beaten by a stronger hero doesn't mean they're bad villains. It just means they fight a better hero.

Bowser, for one, is quite entertaining and fun to fight against. When he's serious, he can be a great villain. When he's not serious, he's still generally a great character.

Ganondorf is always serious, and he's always been great villain material with his motivations and actions. He's a monster, plain and simple, and losing to a hero doesn't change that.

But then, how are we defining "villain"?

Ridley_Prime
Indeed.

Also, I feel Ridley should be given a little mention here too, since he recently caused Samus to have PTSD again and all. Not to mention how cunning and intelligent/crafty he was in his infant and adolescent forms. stick out tongue

Nephthys
Originally posted by The Scenario
Being beaten by a stronger hero doesn't mean they're bad villains. It just means they fight a better hero.

Bowser, for one, is quite entertaining and fun to fight against. When he's serious, he can be a great villain. When he's not serious, he's still generally a great character.

Ganondorf is always serious, and he's always been great villain material with his motivations and actions. He's a monster, plain and simple, and losing to a hero doesn't change that.

But then, how are we defining "villain"?

Well for one thing a villian needs to be somewhat threatening. A villian who constantly gets their asses handed to them soon becomes more of a joke than a genuine threat. Being beaten over and over again makes the audience all the less threatened whenever they appear, becuase they've lost so often its just a matter of time before they do so again.

Its not that they've been beaten, because all villains get beaten. Its just the sheer number of times they've been beaten makes them look kinda pathetic. Bowser moreso than Ganon, as I don't really know much about Ganon but I think he's actually won a few.

Not to mention Bowser's just a dick who wants to take over the world. Hardly interesting.

Phoenix3068
Some of the Great Villains I can think of..

Scorge from Gears of War 2 because he seems to be kind of like one of my favorite Sith from SW. He uses a double edged blade, doesn't talk, and owns in blade combat. His villainous behavior can be seen from his steady and absolute dedication to the Locust Cause which is "Destroy the Humans".

Mithos Yggdrasill from Tales of Symphonia. While some people say he was just confused, I don't think so. He was seeking revenge, for how the Half-Elves were treated. At the very end of the game he even said "If I had the chance, I would do it all over again.."

Ridley_Prime
Although he wasn't necessarily a villain when it came down to it, Kratos Aurion was way cooler than Mithos/Yggdrasill. uhuh

NemeBro
Ganon's kinda weighed down by his half-dozen or so consecutive defeats imo.

Its the same thing when people try and pass Bowser off as no1. The guy gets his ass kicked on a weekly basis. How is that good villian material? Every villain loses, generally.

The difference is, when Ganondorf loses, it's temporary, instead of a permanent defeat.

Which is more impressive.

Nephthys
Well neithers actually impressive at all imo. erm

Though obviously temporary defeats are better than permanent ones but being beaten 5+ times by the same person becomes pathetic really fast. Particularily when you're playing as that character. It makes his defeat all the more inevitable.

Constant losses aren't impressive at all. Anyone who claims Bowsers awesome because Mario can't put him down for good is just fanboying. Mario still puts him down. Every single time. Same thing with Ganon.

The same thing happened with the Joker. After a while Batman was just like 'oh god not you again'. facepalm And there was one comic which was basically Batman telling him he's old news and boring now. Heck, he's considering just letting Robin handle him from now on.

NemeBro
Well neithers actually impressive at all imo. erm

Though obviously temporary defeats are better than permanent ones but being beaten 5+ times by the same person becomes pathetic really fast. Particularily when you're playing as that character. It makes his defeat all the more inevitable.

Constant losses aren't impressive at all. Anyone who claims Bowsers awesome because Mario can't put him down for good is just fanboying. Mario still puts him down. Every single time. Same thing with Ganon.

The same thing happened with the Joker. After a while Batman was just like 'oh god not you again'. facepalm And there was one comic which was basically Batman telling him he's old news and boring now. Heck, he's considering just letting Robin handle him from now on. Yeah man, being killed and coming back each time despite efforts to keep you sealed is not impressive AT ALL.

It is a different Link each time. Said Link always has outside help in order to win. Outside help from differing sources, the only constant are Master Swords and Light Arrows, he also has help from random sages, TEH TRIFORCE ITSELF, or strangely sexy imps.

Difference is Link and friends try to actually kill Ganondorf, and fail each time.

So in your rather lame view a villain can only be good if they are a one-off? Nah, GTFO.

Sappho
Seph, shepard, zues, and thats about it. I personally dont take too much interest in villains, and idk if i could ever actually hate one. If i did, its probably cus i got pissed and stuggled with him at the end of the game or somethin haha.

Cyner
Originally posted by Sappho
Seph, shepard, zues, and thats about it. I personally dont take too much interest in villains, and idk if i could ever actually hate one. If i did, its probably cus i got pissed and stuggled with him at the end of the game or somethin haha.

kinda interesting since you have a villain in your sig.

NemeBro
Kratos is a villain in that he is wicked and amoral.

This thread is clearly about antagonists, not technical villains.

Nephthys
Originally posted by NemeBro
Yeah man, being killed and coming back each time despite efforts to keep you sealed is not impressive AT ALL.

It is a different Link each time. Said Link always has outside help in order to win. Outside help from differing sources, the only constant are Master Swords and Light Arrows, he also has help from random sages, TEH TRIFORCE ITSELF, or strangely sexy imps.

Difference is Link and friends try to actually kill Ganondorf, and fail each time.

So in your rather lame view a villain can only be good if they are a one-off? Nah, GTFO.

Emphasis on the 'being killed' part. Over and over again.

Well like I said, I don't know jack about Ganon, not having played a Zelda game since OoT on my Grandads Nintendo when I was like 7. All I know is his combat abilities from the VGvs and that he's been killed like 5-6 times.

No, there are plenty of villians that remain threatening without being one-shots. The trick is that they actually win and don't get their asses kicked by the hero everytime they meet, keeping them as actual threats. Darth Vader for instance won at least as much as he lost and remained threatening because he was an actual, serious threat to the heroes. Someone like Bowser though gets his ass whooped on a weekly basis by Mario. Its really hard to take him as a credible thread after that.

Phoenix3068
lol it says best villain, not antagonist. The title of the thread is the purpose of it :P

Ridley_Prime

Well like I said, I don't know jack about Ganon, not having played a Zelda game since OoT on my Grandads Nintendo when I was like 7. All I know is his combat abilities from the VGvs and that he's been killed like 5-6 times.

No, there are plenty of villians that remain threatening without being one-shots. The trick is that they actually win and don't get their asses kicked by the hero everytime they meet, keeping them as actual threats. Darth Vader for instance won at least as much as he lost and remained threatening because he was an actual, serious threat to the heroes. Someone like Bowser though gets his ass whooped on a weekly basis by Mario. Its really hard to take him as a credible thread after that.
Well by your logic, even Vader himself is hardly a threat now due to the number of times he's lost to his apprentice in the recent games (as well as his losses against Boba Fett and others in the EU if you count those). erm

Ridley_Prime
Oh, and he was even captured by the rebels in TFU2 or something from what I recall.

NemeBro

No, there are plenty of villians that remain threatening without being one-shots. The trick is that they actually win and don't get their asses kicked by the hero everytime they meet, keeping them as actual threats. Darth Vader for instance won at least as much as he lost and remained threatening because he was an actual, serious threat to the heroes. Someone like Bowser though gets his ass whooped on a weekly basis by Mario. Its really hard to take him as a credible thread after that. Technically, he does not die, but whatever.

That makes you laem though. LAEM!

If Ganondorf won, then he would be unstoppable. erm He would have the entire Triforce, the power of the Gods, and Hyrule would be doomed FOREVER! Darth Vader is a beaten dog and Palpatine's *****, do not bring him up as a more credible villain. Bowser is a joke. Ganondorf has actually conquered the kingdom a few times.

Ridley_Prime
That too.

Nemesis X
Albert Wesker. Gotta give a guy credit for using his task force as guinea pigs to test out flesh eating biological weapons, using the people who respect him as pawns (William Birkin, Excella Gione, etc.) and disposing them later on, bending the wills of others (Jill Valentine), killing his superiors, and making a virus that turns him into full of win. Also, he's badass enough to actually hang out with Doctor Doom 131

FinalAnswer
Albert Wesker. Gotta give a guy credit for using his task force as guinea pigs to test out flesh eating biological weapons, using the people who respect him as pawns (William Birkin, Excella Gione, etc.) and disposing them later on, bending the wills of others (Jill Valentine), killing his superiors, and making a virus that turns him into full of win. Also, he's badass enough to actually hang out with Doctor Doom 131

Nah, RE5 butchered him into a stereotypical cookie cutter bad gai

NemeBro
He was better that way.

Nemesis X
Nah, RE5 butchered him into a stereotypical cookie cutter bad gai

At least he mostly defeated the good guys unlike Ganondorf who is right next to Bowser in getting owned all the time.

FinalAnswer
At least he mostly defeated the good guys unlike Ganondorf who is right next to Bowser in getting owned all the time.

And it's totally good villain material to just walk away after defeating said good guize, right?

Nemesis X
And it's totally good villain material to just walk away after defeating said good guize, right?

And Ganondorf riding away after beating the crap out of child Link in OoT doesn't say anything?

FinalAnswer
And Ganondorf riding away after beating the crap out of child Link in OoT doesn't say anything?

Dun care about what Ganondorf does 131

Already said AM is better then any of these other schmucks.

Also, Andrew Ryan > Albert Wesker

Ridley_Prime
As pointed out earlier though, AM didn't originate in a game, so it doesn't count here. smile

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
As pointed out earlier though, AM didn't originate in a game, so it doesn't count here. smile

Why? =)

If I found, say, Zeus from God of War an excellent villain, what would stop me from saying him?

Also, AM is moar fleshed out and stuff then in the book, so is not a straight adaption.

Nemesis X
Dun care about what Ganondorf does 131

Already said AM is better then any of these other schmucks.

Also, Andrew Ryan > Albert Wesker

You should be since you and ScreamPaste are his wipers 131

As said by Ridley Prime, he didn't originate from a videogame.

In making speeches and creating cities sure but that's about it. All the other stuff, Wesker will top.

FinalAnswer
You should be since you and ScreamPaste are his wipers 131

As said by Ridley Prime, he didn't originate from a videogame.

In making speeches and creating cities sure but that's about it. All the other stuff, Wesker will top.

Nah, already explained that AM is different then he is in the book. Would be like saying Zeus couldn't be in this thread because he doesn't originate from a game.

No, you silly little monkey.

Nemesis X
Who you calling a monkey you Canadian Nazi?

FinalAnswer
Who you calling a monkey you Canadian Nazi?

You, my silly little monkey.

Also, Wesker does not surpass Andrew Ryan in terms of beating the shit out of a hooker for selling a fertilized egg.

Nemesis X
You, my silly little monkey.

Also, Wesker does not surpass Andrew Ryan in terms of beating the shit out of a hooker for selling a fertilized egg.

Hey Fred, when are you gonna have a new episode?

Forcing a guy to work for you or else you'd kill his family >>> beating up a hooker

FinalAnswer
Hey Fred, when are you gonna have a new episode?

Forcing a guy to work for you or else you'd kill his family >>> beating up a hooker

Name's Zane boi. I realize you 13 year old's have short attention spans, but try and pay attention next time!

Nailing your best friend to a pole right outside the entrance to where you live >>>

Nemesis X
Name's Zane boi. I realize you 13 year old's have short attention spans, but try and pay attention next time!

Nailing your best friend to a pole right outside the entrance to where you live >>>

Hey Zane Grey, your books suck.

Turning your partner who wants be your girlfriend into a gelantinous mass just to get rid of two people you hate >>>

FinalAnswer
Hey Zane Grey, your books suck.

Turning your partner who wants be your girlfriend into a gelantinous mass just to get rid of two people you hate >>>

I dun get it

Not really, Excella was a whore anyway =l, and besides, he didn't purposely turn her into Godcella, Uroboros just rejected her =)

Nemesis X
I dun get it

Not really, Excella was a whore anyway =l, and besides, he didn't purposely turn her into Godcella, Uroboros just rejected her =)

Zane Grey is an author. Look it up.

Wesker sounded like he didn't care it rejected her which means that he knew that would happen. Why do you think he made that giant pile of corpses?

FinalAnswer
Zane Grey is an author. Look it up.

Wesker sounded like he didn't care it rejected her which means that he knew that would happen. Why do you think he made that giant pile of corpses?

Nothx

Wesker didn't care about her from the get go, what's your point? It doesn't come anywhere near nailing your best friend to a wall in what was essentially his front yard. =l

Nemesis X
Nothx

Wesker didn't care about her from the get go, what's your point? It doesn't come anywhere near nailing your best friend to a wall in what was essentially his front yard. =l

What are you, lazy?

He toyed around with her feelings and besides, I'm sure Ryan killed his friend rather quickly before putting his corpse on his porch as a warning. Wesker made Excella suffer while turning into a disgusting, man-eating blob. Imagine if she was still alive in that thing, knowing what she's doing but can't stop from doing it. I'd ask for death instead of becoming what she was.

NemeBro
Kind of like what Ryan did with, you know, THE ENTIRE SPLICER POPULATION.

Remember they are being mentally FORCED to follow his orders, basically his slaves.

Nemesis X
Remember they are being mentally FORCED to follow his orders, basically his slaves.

Funny, doesn't Wesker do the same thing but with parasitic organisms (Las Plagas)?

NemeBro
No, the subjects die.

Nemesis X
No, the subjects die.

Tell that to Ramon Salazar and Osmund Saddler from RE4. They didn't die when they had it. Granted they weren't mind controlled but they still had those things inside them and I'm pretty sure they weren't dormant like the ones that were in Leon and Ashley.

FinalAnswer
What are you, lazy?

He toyed around with her feelings and besides, I'm sure Ryan killed his friend rather quickly before putting his corpse on his porch as a warning. Wesker made Excella suffer while turning into a disgusting, man-eating blob. Imagine if she was still alive in that thing, knowing what she's doing but can't stop from doing it. I'd ask for death instead of becoming what she was.

Knowing Ryan, no he wouldn't =l

Ryan kinda did that to an entire city.

Nemesis X
Knowing Ryan, no he wouldn't =l

Ryan kinda did that to an entire city.

FinalAnswer

Wesker did it with black people though, so is far less evil..

*Sunglasses*

Phanteros

*Sunglasses* Where you gettin' at?

FinalAnswer

Phanteros

Nemesis X

*Sunglasses*

I'm surprised that mods can ban people who say out loud "you can't ban me" but they can't ban those who make racial slurs.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.