Cowboys & Aliens

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
ZBKU9WU_wLo

In 1873 Arizona, a loner named Jake Lonergan (Daniel Craig) awakens with no memory of his past and a mysterious shackle around his wrist. He enters the town of Absolution where he learns he committed many crimes he doesn't remember and is wanted by many people, including Colonel Woodrow Dolarhyde (Harrison Ford), a harsh leader who rules the town with an iron fist. But Absolution soon faces an even greater threat when mysterious forces attack the town from the sky, sparing no one in their path. While Jake's shackle holds the key to defeating them, he must align himself with Dolarhyde and other former enemies to make a stand against this mysterious and more powerful new foe.

007 and Han Solo in a wild West alien film? I'm so there! This doesn't look like anything epic, but it looks like a lot of fun!

BruceSkywalker
seen the trailer, i may see this

Robtard
Hmmm. Great cast, decent director, great producers. Just not sure about Harrison Ford being a villain-esque character though.

RE: Blaxican
He seems to be more of an anti-hero. The begrudging rival/partner to the main character.

Impediment
He could pull it off, I say. Just look at his performance in "What Lies Beneath".

Mindship
Looks cool, nice mix of genres. I hope it's intelligently done.

Robtard
Considering the points the black-guy and the cornholer said above, I take that back. Ford can play the bastard and play it well.

steverules_2
Looks like it could be pretty good

Kazenji
I'm guessing the Indians are gonna be in it... trailer never showed them.

jaden101
Looks absolutely ridiculous. If it's as bad as Samurai Commando then it'll be fookin' class.

Kazenji
Originally posted by jaden101
Looks absolutely ridiculous.

Well it is based on a comic for those that did'nt know.

jaden101
Originally posted by Kazenji
Well it is based on a comic for those that did'nt know.

That would include me...Although it's not really a surprise seeing as about half of all films getting made nowadays seem to be based on a comic or graphic novel of some kind however obscure.

jinXed by JaNx
I already saw this movie. It was called Outlander and it stared Jim Caviezel. If you can look passed the low budget effects it's a damn decent movie. This Cowboy and Aliens looks rather boring from the trailer. I know it is a short trailer but the Sets look unconvincing and poor.

Kazenji
I do hope your provern wrong when the movie comes out.

SnakeEyes
This looks fun; I'll be there.

jinXed by JaNx
I do hope your provern wrong when the movie comes out. [/QUOTE

Me too. I really like everyone involved.

ADarksideJedi
I saw this preview while waiting for Harry potter to start and I thought it looked good but strange at teh same time.

Scythe
Awesome.

Jonas Awlk
Wonder what tone they're taking?

SimonComics
Originally posted by Impediment
ZBKU9WU_wLo

In 1873 Arizona, a loner named Jake Lonergan (Daniel Craig) awakens with no memory of his past and a mysterious shackle around his wrist. He enters the town of Absolution where he learns he committed many crimes he doesn't remember and is wanted by many people, including Colonel Woodrow Dolarhyde (Harrison Ford), a harsh leader who rules the town with an iron fist. But Absolution soon faces an even greater threat when mysterious forces attack the town from the sky, sparing no one in their path. While Jake's shackle holds the key to defeating them, he must align himself with Dolarhyde and other former enemies to make a stand against this mysterious and more powerful new foe.

007 and Han Solo in a wild West alien film? I'm so there! This doesn't look like anything epic, but it looks like a lot of fun!

Problem is, they're not playing it as anything less than epic and amazing, when clearly the material (and title) screams FUN PULP TIMES. There was an article in the NYT about how the perception of the thing -- campy fun -- is totally at odds with the aim of the thing, which is to be dead serious.

Upon hearing it's meant to be dead serious, well, I was disappointed.

Also, the comic it's based on was part of an imprint designed to snare movie options for cash, so I'm down on it for that reason too. Great cast, Favreau's great... but ugly roots, man. Ugly roots.

The Nuul
Hell yeah, this looks awesome!

Darth Martin
Craig is the man.

Kazenji
Seen the trailer for this again when i went to see Unstoppable

some of the things people said such as the film looks bad and there was some laughter from some folks

jeez its not that bad..... erm

Kazenji
Superbowel spot

vdy4eRKrf_8

Rogue Jedi
Bowel?

Kazenji
F U

do i live in America?...no.

Quiero Mota
Looks like a parody of the corny B Westerns that came out all the time throughout the 50's and 60's. (Is this what an elderly Harrison Ford has been reduced too?)

F U

You still come from an English-speaking country, and should know the difference between a round container intended for food...and human innards. Bowl and bowel are two different words.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Looks like a parody of the corny B Westerns that came out all the time throughout the 50's and 60's. (Is this what an elderly Harrison Ford has been reduced too?)

as i said before in a previous post it is based on a comic so yeah have some fun

Zzzzzzzzz end it please you obviously know what i ment and no need to resort to a spelling nazi.

BruceSkywalker
re saw the trailer during the superbowl.. i will see this

Kazenji
Same here...dispite what i hear from people at the cinema when the trailer is shown.

jaden101
F U

Not really a valid excuse for not knowing the difference between

http://www.le-tom.com/img/duralex-bowl-medium.jpg

and

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/images/ency/fullsize/19219.jpg

is it?

Illiteracy is only a valid excuse if you ARE from America.

The Nuul
This looks great.

Mairuzu
I just had a super bowel right now. Damn cheese

0mega Spawn
as long as it doesn't end like this one sci fi movie i saw

damn cowboys blew up a spaceship with a powder keg facepalm2

Kazenji
Not really a valid excuse for not knowing the difference between

Illiteracy is only a valid excuse if you ARE from America.

So this spelling error which i made has become more important then talking about this movie......

jeez move the **** on.

Jonas Awlk

Jonas Awlk
Originally posted by Jonas Awlk

Am I not allowed to mention that I saw a screenplay for this movie on Facebook?

I would think people interested in the film would like to have a look at that.

GRIMNIR
I love sci-fi and I love westerns

Now we get a film combining the 2

Starring Indiana Jones and James Bond

I think this will be highly entertaining movie Happy Dance

dreamstudio123
This is an New take on an Old Movie..

look up Oblivion 1994

Jonas Awlk
Originally posted by dreamstudio123
This is an New take on an Old Movie..

look up Oblivion 1994

Ah... Charles Band. That one looks like a sure winner!

Kazenji
Most likey where they got the idea for the comic.

Jonas Awlk
Most likey where they got the idea for the comic.

If you're referring to the 1989 screenplay at the Facebook page called "Cowboys and Aliens Screenplay", I agree.

Kazenji
If you're referring to the 1989 screenplay at the Facebook page called "Cowboys and Aliens Screenplay", I agree.

Ummmm no

the comic came out 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboys_%26_Aliens_(comics)

Jonas Awlk
Ummmm no

the comic came out 2006

And the Facebook screenplay in 1989. Quite a bit earlier.

S_D_J
There was Facebook on 1989?!

Damn that Zuckerberg bastard is truly a genius

Though I'll always hate him for back-stabing Spidey with the help of JT

stick out tongue

Kazenji
Found a copy of the trade apparantly its a rare find if you do manage to find it.

Jonas Awlk
Originally posted by S_D_J
There was Facebook on 1989?!

Damn that Zuckerberg bastard is truly a genius
stick out tongue

Har!

soblue
A very interesting mix, genres, cast, etc. Will probably check it out.

Kazenji
New Trailer

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=76478

damn still no sign of the Indian involvement shown and only an arm of an alien.

ronnydudek

showstep

Kazenji
Theres another Mash up on the way

Barry Sonnenfeld & Grant Morrison Project, Dinosaurs vs. Aliens

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/scifimediazone/news/?a=36984

HAROLD
This has the potential to be really good. I am slightly worried after Iron Man 2, though. That movie felt like Jon Favreau was tired of his job. Hopefully this is the kick he needs.

Kazenji
Originally posted by HAROLD
This has the potential to be really good. I am slightly worried after Iron Man 2, though. That movie felt like Jon Favreau was tired of his job. Hopefully this is the kick he needs.

Which is strange because Jon is a big fan of Iron Man.

Jonas Awlk
I'm thinking hmm... Gargoyles vs. Janitors.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Impediment
ZBKU9WU_wLo

saw this trailer while seeing thor and this is one I plan on skipping even though I am a huge fan of Harrison Ford and he is my favorite actor.His presence wont be able to make up for this garbage slated to be released soon.

Jonas Awlk
Well garbage or not I think the thing's going to do huge B.O. Interesting though that they say it's derived from the '06 graphic novel when in fact there are not one but TWO antecedents with similar plots, characters and, of course, the same name - the 1989 screenplay on Facebook I brought up a few months ago and also the ashcan comic that was published if I recall in '02 and then renamed "Wayout West". You can read the screenplay for free at FB and buy the ashcan at Amazon.

Bardock42
It's probably based very directly on the 2006 comic, while only having certain elements in common with the other sources you cited.

Jonas Awlk
Originally posted by Bardock42
It's probably based very directly on the 2006 comic, while only having certain elements in common with the other sources you cited.

Perhaps so. Who knows? But if you've read all three and compared them I'd be interested in your opinion of each!

Kazenji
I'm pretty sure it is based on the graphic novel.

Jonas Awlk

So the publicity would have it. But having read both I have my doubts.

Mr. Rhythmic

Very, very, very, very, very loosely based. Which is good, considering the the comic was crap.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
Very, very, very, very, very loosely based. Which is good, considering the the comic was crap.

have'nt read it yet... so i would'nt know i have it sitting there.

Jonas Awlk

That may indeed be so, MR. But we'll never know until the film comes out (unless of course you've seen a shooting script!).

My point is more a credits/financial one, which in Hollywood amounts to the same thing - especially in this case, as the film has enormous B.O. and even franchise potential. If the creators of the comic and/or the film had access to the earlier material from the Facebook script and "Wayout West", then that needs to be acknowledged, and those original creators compensated.

I'll leave quality considerations to the critics and the marketplace.

Mr. Rhythmic
That may indeed be so, MR. But we'll never know until the film comes out (unless of course you've seen a shooting script!).

However, changing the material gives far more hope for a better film.

Jonas Awlk

Changing the graphic novel: agreed. But I thought both previous sources superior.

Kazenji

Yeah well i'll read the graphic novel myself and make my own judgement on it.

Jonas Awlk
Yeah well i'll read the graphic novel myself and make my own judgement on it.

An excellent plan. I'd also recommend you read the script currently on Facebook (hey why not, it's free) and "Wayout West", which I found on Amazon.

Kazenji
New extended preview

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=78561

jaden101
Well garbage or not I think the thing's going to do huge B.O.

Perhaps the funniest thing I've ever read on these forums. This film is going to be one of the biggest flops if box office history.

Jonas Awlk
Perhaps the funniest thing I've ever read on these forums. This film is going to be one of the biggest flops if box office history.

I'm happy to amuse you, Jaden!

jaden101
I'm happy you're happy.

Jonas Awlk
I'm happy you're happy.

I'm happy you're happy that I'm happy. Now let's make everyone happy!

Jonas Awlk
Now that everyone's happy.

I read "Wayout West" and it was a ton of fun. A lot looser and more charming than the so-called original Cowboys and Aliens GN. No surprise there.

Kazenji
New trailer

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/cowboys-and-aliens/theatrical-trailer

Kazenji
No 3D for this movie, Favreau and Ford discuss the decision not to shoot in 3D

n0LeXwOw0x0

Godzilla Rulz
Yeah, looks fun smile

Kazenji
Theres already a review for this movie and supposly its a good movie.

Jonas Awlk
Here's the first review:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/cowboys-aliens-film-review-214687

And, for those interested, here are links to the 1989 script and to "Wayout West" (assuming these aren't removed by the moderator)

script: http://kvisit.com/Sx7qhAQ

comic: http://www.amazon.com/Wayout-West-Trade-Paperback-Original/dp/1460970764

Jonas Awlk
And another not so glowing review:

http://www.boxofficemagazine.com/reviews/2011-07-cowboys-aliens

Patient_Leech
Interesting little discussion between Favreau and Ford there. Nice find. Yeah, I saw the trailer for this just last night and think it looks like a lot of fun. I was a little surprised, though, because from the teaser released a long time ago, I thought it would be a bit sillier of a movie. With a name like "Cowboys and Aliens" I thought it was going to be a fun, silly pun on "Cowboys and Indians." But it looks fairly serious from the new trailer. Looks good.

Kazenji
sWTtMdXAazs

BruceSkywalker
saw this..

fair cast..

i can see why robert downey, jr turn it down, however this would have been a much better film with him..

overall i'd give it 4/10 and would only recommend this if you are a fan of harrison ford or daniel craig

siriuswriter
my local "crabby critic" thought it was horrible. i saw the preview and ran in the other direction - Harrison Ford didn't need a whole lot of makeup to make him look that old; I'd rather remember him as a action star stud from Indiana Jones and Star Wars. Plus his part.... well.... it didn't really need a whole lot of acting, just reciting lines.

ELGH. Two thumbs down. Both actors took it way, way too seriously. I agree that Robert Downey, Jr. would've brought some humor to the movie - which it desperately needed.

ETA : @kazenji
that video is frikkin hilarious.

quanchi112
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
saw this..

fair cast..

i can see why robert downey, jr turn it down, however this would have been a much better film with him..

overall i'd give it 4/10 and would only recommend this if you are a fan of harrison ford or daniel craig I'll probably wait to see this at the cheap seats.

Jonas Awlk
Originally posted by quanchi112
I'll probably wait to see this at the cheap seats.

I'm with you. From everything I've read it sounds like the typical Hollywood summer garbage - impressive special effects surrounding a hollow core. Far better if they'd stuck with the original script.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by quanchi112
I'll probably wait to see this at the cheap seats.

you don't have to wait too long, im sure

srankmissingnin
The western elements are executed far better then any of the sci-fi, which is a shame because the sci-fi parts of the movie can't really pull their weight. The end of the movie gets bogged down with a nonsense fight scene between the aliens and humans that doesn't really work and then there is some parts that are supposed to be touching and heartfelt but just come off as forced and unnatural. Craig and Ford are awesome, but sadly Sam Rockwell isn't given much to do which sucks because I had got the impression he was sort of a Doc Holiday type character from the earlier previews. If your theater has a half price Tuesday or a cheap matinee then I would still say it is worth seeing in the theater, but I would be hesitant to recommend someone pay full price.

Kazenji
I'm with you. From everything I've read it sounds like the typical Hollywood summer garbage - impressive special effects surrounding a hollow core. Far better if they'd stuck with the original script.

Yeah the so called 'Facebook script' erm

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
The western elements are executed far better then any of the sci-fi, which is a shame because the sci-fi parts of the movie can't really pull their weight. The end of the movie gets bogged down with a nonsense fight scene between the aliens and humans that doesn't really work and then there is some parts that are supposed to be touching and heartfelt but just come off as forced and unnatural. Craig and Ford are awesome, but sadly Sam Rockwell isn't given much to do which sucks because I had got the impression he was sort of a Doc Holiday type character from the earlier previews. If your theater has a half price Tuesday or a cheap matinee then I would still say it is worth seeing in the theater, but I would be hesitant to recommend someone pay full price.

Kind of what i figured, thx

Kazenji
From what i got from one review just don't expect a movie thats gonna change things, Cowboys & Aliens its right there in the title and thats what you'll get.

Jonas Awlk
Yeah the so called 'Facebook script' erm

It's on Facebook, it's a script... so it's the Facebook script!

Darth Martin
Daniel Craig is that dude. Probably see it when it hits the local dollar theater.

jinXed by JaNx
I wish the smurfs were in this movie. Now thats a movie Cowboys aliens AND Smurfs. Smurfs or gremlins. i know know .

colossulrage
pretty much straight forward like it was said above title says it all, but i enjoyed it daniel craig is the man

jinXed by JaNx
yeah i agree, daniel craig is pretty badass. Hes like a modern day steve mcqueen. This movie wasnt to bad but not to good either. Still, it was kind of cool to see cowboys vs aliens.

Kazenji
Can't believe this movie got into a deadlock with that shitty Smurfs movie.

spike2011
hello! guys!!

spike2011
I have watch this one! This is somewhat a good one! Like it! big grin

Jonas Awlk
Guess if you don't mind plot holes big enough to drive a covered wagon through then the movie makes sense. I'm all for fun action and over the top shenanigans. But when you're creating a world that's supposed to be run by normal rules, i.e. this is the Old West for real and this is how people would behave in the face of something this strange; and furthermore that this is an incredibly advanced alien race capable of things like interstellar travel and thought-controlled weaponry, then the story is nonsensical.

Myth
First 30 minutes was great. Craig being a badass cowboy with amnesia was the best part of the movie.

Middle was decent.

Last 30 minutes was crap. Starting with the girl coming back to life and revealing that she is an alien that took human form.

The movie would have been better if it were just "Cowboys." It was way better as a straight up western and started getting worse the moment the aliens attacked.

Jonas Awlk
I too found the first act diverting as an ordinary though decently executed western. Unfortunately the whole reason for the aliens' being here was nonsensical, especially for so advanced a race. Why not just get your gold from any of the millions of uninhabited planets that even we in the 21st century know are out there? To say nothing of asteroids...

Kazenji
Originally posted by Myth
Last 30 minutes was crap. Starting with the girl coming back to life and revealing that she is an alien that took human form.

Is that so??

seems they kept idea from the Graphic Novel.

paggy23

Kazenji
Enjoyed this movie and it delivers exactly what the title says

only problem i had with it is what were the aliens gonna do with the gold, Seemed to be case of the Underwear gnomes profit plan to me

besides that, 8/10 from me.

Jonas Awlk
Enjoyed this movie and it delivers exactly what the title says

only problem i had with it is what were the aliens gonna do with the gold, Seemed to be case of the Underwear gnomes profit plan to me

besides that, 8/10 from me.

Think one of my main issues, THE main one in fact, was that these incredibly advanced beings (who nonetheless acted like idiot hyenas in person) came all this way to get some gold out of the ground when they could have done the same thing on virtually any rocky planet or asteroid. Why would you bother with a place that had an indigenous population, even one they thought of as "insects"?

And the argument that perhaps planet earth has "more gold", as I've read on other forums, is not supported by any facts in evidence.

I was also troubled by their kidnapping humans for study, when they could just blast people from the sky with blue ray guns whenever necessary. Probe our weaknesses? Silly stuff.

Nice scenery though. And I did like the dog.

Kazenji
With the graphic novel that its based on they're were'nt here looking for gold

they got here only because their ship crash landed and then later on they end up building a communication device in one of the dish to call in more troops.

wolferine
had the same problem with the logic and rationale behind the gold search portrayed by the movie.

ignoring that, it's an enjoyable movie with those nicely executed visuals and actions.

Jonas Awlk
Originally posted by wolferine
had the same problem with the logic and rationale behind the gold search portrayed by the movie.

ignoring that, it's an enjoyable movie with those nicely executed visuals and actions.

If you've got a mind to, W, check out the original script on Facebook, the comic "Wayout West", which is available on Amazon, and then the 2006 graphic novel. See which you think is best.

Esau Cairn
I felt it was nothing special.

Could've been a decent Western if not for the sci-fi angle.
Daniel Craig as the lone gunman w/amnesia wondering into a corrupt town would've made a decent story on its own.

I also found that most of the night time scenes were too dark to make out what was happening.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Esau Cairn

I also found that most of the night time scenes were too dark to make out what was happening.

Really?

seems to be you need your eyes checked out.

Esau Cairn
Really?

seems to be you need your eyes checked out.

Or maybe I was pre-occuppied with my girlfriend.

You do know what a girlfriend is, eh Kaz?

Mindset
Congrats?

Kazenji
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Or maybe I was pre-occuppied with my girlfriend.

You do know what a girlfriend is, eh Kaz?

Yeah i do

lucky you i suppose.

The Nuul
What a load of donkey shit. This movie sucked balls.

Jonas Awlk
Plus now somebody's suing the producers for copyright infringement:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/12/cowboys-aliens-sparks-lawsuit-by-author-who-published-story-with-same-title/#comments

Of course, the plaintiff's comic came out 5 years AFTER the original 1989 screenplay posted to Facebook

Kazenji
I noticed for the blu-ray that it has the directors cut not sure what been added back in and if it makes the film better.

RobsonThomson
Awful film. Loved freddiew's vid tho.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.