Shonen Jump spinoffs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Q99
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/11/17/the-return-of-dragon-ball-official/

Ok, not by the main creators, but still might end up pretty interesting.

dadudemon
Rock Lee spinoff?

DB spinoff?

Aimed at small kids?

Nah. I won't be reading it.

I want those same spin-offs aimed at older people, not kids. Say, 15 and up category.

Kento
I dunno... might be kinda interesting seeing somebody do Rock Lee spin off.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Kento
I dunno... might be kinda interesting seeing somebody do Rock Lee spin off.

But it is aimed at children. And, will it be canon? I dunno.

Maybe it will be canon but fall into the Time Skip period. I want to see something more aimed at adults.

Q99
Originally posted by dadudemon
But it is aimed at children.

That doesn't necessarily mean 'bad,' just that it won't get into the darker stuff.

We could be talking about "More OP's target range than Naruto's," and so on.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Q99
That doesn't necessarily mean 'bad,' just that it won't get into the darker stuff.

We could be talking about "More OP's target range than Naruto's," and so on.

OP = Over powered

or

OP = Opening post

on most nerdy forums.

What does OP mean in your use?

And, yes, generally, targeted at children DOES mean worse almost all of the time. Think of exceptions and I may be inclined to change my mind.

TheAuraAngel
OP = Over powered

or

OP = Opening post

on most nerdy forums.

What does OP mean in your use?

And, yes, generally, targeted at children DOES mean worse almost all of the time. Think of exceptions and I may be inclined to change my mind.

I assume One Piece.

Q99
Originally posted by TheAuraAngel
I assume One Piece.

This one, which also serves as an example of an exception to the 'for children = worse' thing.

(Another example would be, say, Avatar the Last Airbender, which also rocks on toast)

TheAuraAngel
Originally posted by Q99
This one, which also serves as an example of an exception to the 'for children = worse' thing.

(Another example would be, say, Avatar the Last Airbender, which also rocks on toast)

**** yeah Avatar rocks on toast....wait, what?

Though, this is true. There are plenty of shows aimed at kids that are better than so called mature shows.

I'm reminded of the little GOW vs Zelda thing that happened in the Off Topic Thread in the Game Vs. Forum now. Thanks for digging up memories douches. sad

RE: Blaxican
Naruto is aimed at children. In Japan, it aired, unedited, on a children's TV network, like FOX kids for us.

Japan's idea of "children appropriate" is radically different from ours.

NemeBro
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Naruto is aimed at children. In Japan, it aired, unedited, on a children's TV network, like FOX kids for us.

Japan's idea of "children appropriate" is radically different from ours. This.

King Kandy

Maybe it will be canon but fall into the Time Skip period. I want to see something more aimed at adults.
Gurren Lagann is a children's show. Naruto is a children's show. The original Dragonball was a children's show. The term doesn't really mean anything.

NemeBro
Originally posted by King Kandy
Gurren Lagann is a children's show. ......... It is?

King Kandy
Yeah. Isn't that interesting?

dadudemon
Gurren Lagann is a children's show. Naruto is a children's show. The original Dragonball was a children's show. The term doesn't really mean anything.

There's "Children's" then "Shonen" then "Sienen."

Guess which ones you named fall under? Guess what the age targets are for each? Then guess why I am saying that I do not prefer the "children's" target audience instead of the "shonen" target audience? THEN guess which manga/anime fall under Seinen. THEN guess why I'd prefer a more mature take on some of the stuff instead of a more immature take on the stuff?

Edit - Saw the other posts at my post. You bitches ain't keepin' up wit dis shit, yo. I knew what I was talking about before, during, and after my post.

RE: Blaxican
Shounen anime is children's anime, with the primary demographic being children. So why would you prefer shounen to children's anime when they're the same thing?

King Kandy
There's "Children's" then "Shonen" then "Sienen."

Guess which ones you named fall under? Guess what the age targets are for each? Then guess why I am saying that I do not prefer the "children's" target audience instead of the "shonen" target audience? THEN guess which manga/anime fall under Seinen. THEN guess why I'd prefer a more mature take on some of the stuff instead of a more immature take on the stuff?

Edit - Saw the other posts at my post. You bitches ain't keepin' up wit dis shit, yo. I knew what I was talking about before, during, and after my post.
No, all of these shows are targeted at the youngest age slot past "teletubbies". Gurren Lagann was the equivilant of a saturday morning cartoon. They are the same age market as these strips.

Bentley
Chopper man!!!!

Majin Buu spin off please!

Kento

Maybe it will be canon but fall into the Time Skip period. I want to see something more aimed at adults. I doubt it'll be cannon. And its Rock Lee ... it couldn't be dark or serious anyways. It wouldn't work.

dadudemon
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Shounen anime is children's anime, with the primary demographic being children. So why would you prefer shounen to children's anime when they're the same thing?

If you mean anyone under 18 as "children" then you are correct.

If you are referring to a specific target audience labeled as "children" that would be anyone under 10.

If you mean the former, you're right.

If you mean the latter, you're wrong.

No, all of these shows are targeted at the youngest age slot past "teletubbies". Gurren Lagann was the equivilant of a saturday morning cartoon. They are the same age market as these strips.

No they are not and you're wrong.

They are all Shonen, not "childrens". Do a google search and you'll clearly see that.

Originally posted by Kento
I doubt it'll be cannon. And its Rock Lee ... it couldn't be dark or serious anyways. It wouldn't work.

It certainly could be dark and serious, at the same time. It just doesn't have to be that way the entire time.

King Kandy
No they are not and you're wrong.

They are all Shonen, not "childrens". Do a google search and you'll clearly see that.
Shonen refers to those under 15:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sh%C5%8Dnen

If you have a source showing that there is a "childrens" demographic in japan that is marketed to only <10, and is not shonen, feel free to post it.

dadudemon

King Kandy
No, that is "Kodomo", and I was aware of it; stuff like Doraemon targeted to extremely young kids (which is what I meant earlier with me "short of teletubbies"wink phrase. This article does not specify that it is Kodomo, but just that it is for children; in english, that is a generic phrase refering to a young person, ie, what would also be called "shonen" in Japan.

It should be mentioned that the translators at mangastream don't seem to think there's anything questionable about these releases.

http://forum.mangastream.com/showthread.php?t=10172

dadudemon
No, that is "Kodomo", and I was aware of it; stuff like Doraemon targeted to extremely young kids (which is what I meant earlier with me "short of teletubbies"wink phrase. This article does not specify that it is Kodomo, but just that it is for children; in english, that is a generic phrase refering to a young person, ie, what would also be called "shonen" in Japan.

It should be mentioned that the translators at mangastream don't seem to think there's anything questionable about these releases.

http://forum.mangastream.com/showthread.php?t=10172

I'm not sure if you've actually attempted a rebuttal of any sort of substance. You do not contradict me in your post, at all.

But, I'm tired of this conversation. I'll go on continuing to think that a "children's" version of DB and Rock Lee will be too childish for me, and you goes go on thinking that it will be shonen. Peace.

dadudemon
Just wanted to rub it in that I was right about everything:

http://www.mangastream.com/read/dragon_ball_sd/41920400/1

Read the caption on the left:

"Make sure you get someone to help you and make sure not to get hurt while using a cutter or a pair of scissors to cut the inside page out!!!"

hehehehe

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.