This might seem stupid but...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

kjm87
I like the Star Wars films, but cannot understand what people have been saying on here recently. I don't know a lot about the films, compared to some people on here, but even though it might be a stupid question, where on earth does Vader come from? I know what happens in Episode III, but where does he come from?

Ushgarak
The name or the person? If you know what happens (which has to be quite a vague comment as the full plot isn;t finalised yet) you should pretty much know the answer, which is that ader was there all the time, he is just Anakin renamed.

Julie
Every star wars fan has more to learn about.....
And I think Ush's answer was sufficient to answer that ....

LanceWindu
The name Vader in another language here on earth means "Father".

Ushgarak
It's Dutch and queeq questions whether that was actually deliberate on GL's part.

Julie
Well the concept was totally lost on my because I don't speak dutch.
:-)

Member.
Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader. In the old star wars films, Obi-Wan Kenobi tells Luke Skywalker that Darth Vader kills his father. Luke misunderstood this as Darth Vader physically kills his father but in actuality, Anakin's dark side took over. At the end of ROTJ, Anakin's good side takes over again and because he became good, when he died he became one with the force.

Corran
Really?

queeq
It's avery interesting correlation, but the reason why I doubt it is that GL never ever said anything about Dutch being the source language for his name. And as a Dutchman I'd remember that kind of trivia.

The other theory was that it's short for INvader, just like Sidious is short for INsidious.... But that doesn't go all the way to Maul and Tyrannus either. So, I dunno... it's more a coincidence as far as I know.

Ushgarak
I prefer it to be conincidence. I always thought there was a certain self-congratulatory air involved ifrom the fans who first spread that idea, in that they had somehow unlocked some hidden code.

And in any case, when GL came up with the name Vader, he wasn't the father of anyone important.

queeq
That was one point I forgot yes. At the time of making ANH Vader was not supposed to be Luke's father.

However, Dooku also has a meaning in Japanese: poison. That could work, were it not that in Papiemento it means: money. big grin

Member.
Darth Vader just sounded cool in the 70's.

Corran
still does.

finti
indeed.......................................Darth Vader

queeq
Coollll

LanceWindu
I think that maybe ,either, after finishing ANH or when writing the script for TESB GL found out about Vader actually meaning something and wrote it into the story as Vader being Luke's father.

Alphamale
It is quite possible, I dont think that GL had all this really planned out before! I think alot of the other episodes , he made up as he went along!

LanceWindu
Well some of the story was already in his mind the entire way through I believe.

finti
well I have heard the theory of it being short for inVADER

Corran
I don't think he made big parts of the plot lines up as he went along. If he had originally planned for 9 episodes, he will have had the main plot lines in his mind to begin with this including Vader being the main thread all throughout and Luke's Father.

finti
I dont think GL had any thoughts about the name Vader besides the fact that it is just a name that sounded cool

Member.
Vader probably means something or nothing at all, it's all in the head of George Lucas. GL was probably planning nine episodes, but alot can change in 30 years.

queeq
He never confirmed nor denied those speculations. I doubt there is something deep behind it.

mechmoggy
To confirm or deny would undo some of the mystery of Star Wars, which could diminesh fan interest a little because there'd be no more "speculation".

GL keeps his mouth shut so that all us lot keep ours going! cool

finti
hmm dont need any help to keep my mouth goingbig grin

queeq
Where would forums like this one be without it?

mechmoggy
What, Finti's mouth?

Much much quieter. big grin

finti
and dull

Julie
what?

aneekin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.