Star Wars: Vortex

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dr McBeefington
Anyone picked it up yet? I'm about 100 pages in it and so far I'm impressed. It's very exciting.

RE: Blaxican
Gay.

What is it? A comic?

Dr McBeefington
Fate of the Jedi. New book.

truejedi
out already? i'll have to get on that soon.

ben222
I have finished this book.
If you want spoilers, tell me.

Nephthys
I would like some ssspoilers please.

Dr McBeefington
Originally posted by ben222
I have finished this book.
If you want spoilers, tell me.

Wait a few hours I'm almost done.

Nephthys
Oh now you have to do it just to spite him. Quick post teh spoilerz! >:]

ben222
b

ben222
v

Lucius
I saw this book in the store and was like WTF no. LucasArts is out of their minds if they expect me to pay more than like eighteen bucks.

Dr McBeefington
Good read. Probably the most exciting book in the FOTJ series. But at the end it looks like they just keep going in circles from one book to the next, trying to figure out how to end it. Also, Abeloth is a damn BEAST.. No force user in the SW mythos is even close to her level.

Nephthys
OoO

Really? What does she do that puts her above Luke, Palps and co?

Dr McBeefington
Originally posted by Nephthys
OoO

Really? What does she do that puts her above Luke, Palps and co?

Read about it. She's miles ahead human force users. She may be a Celestial, Fallanassi, both, or neither.

NCRotCA
Would somebody be able to post spoilers for somebody who doesn't plan on reading it?

Dr McBeefington
Originally posted by NCRotCA
Would somebody be able to post spoilers for somebody who doesn't plan on reading it?

Luke almost dies fighting Abeloth. She's infinitely powerful and manifests herself in multiple bodies, as if she's force energy. She infects the leader of the Fallanassi and Luke is forced to kill her. Taalon goes into the Pool of Knowledge and begins some kind of weird transformation. When they're fighting Abeloth, it's as if Taalon becomes a servant of Abeloth because he wants to know what's happening to him. Abeloth tells him if he kills the Skywalkers, she'll tell him what's happening and he obliges. At that moment Vestara kills Taalon and helps the Skywalkers escape. Also, Saba ends up killing Kenth Hamner because the Jedi decide enough is enough and fight back. They end up stealing back the Horn kids and at the end, both the Horns have that force psychosis again, indicating Abeloth is at her peak.

Nephthys
Well she can't be that powerful if she's having this much trouble killing Luke.

Dr McBeefington
Well she can't be that powerful if she's having this much trouble killing Luke.

I'm not sure she is. I think she wants to keep him alive, or she's arrogant and she's just not trying, but Luke hasn't fought someone with this power before, nobody has. He kills one body, she comes back in another. She screams as if there are 12 voices. She constantly changes shapes.. It's ridiculous.

Darth Truculent
Sidious maybe? Maybe Revan can take her? She definitely hasn't faced someone with the power those two wielded. I really really despise the character of Abeloth. They're trying to make her to be a Medusa type being. Bleh.

RE: Blaxican
Revan isn't an extraordinary fighter though, so I'm not really sure why you'd even list him. I don't think blasters and gas mines will do anything to Abeloth.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Revan isn't an extraordinary fighter though, so I'm not really sure why you'd even list him. I don't think blasters and gas mines will do anything to Abeloth. Concussion grenades and vibroblades will.

Dr McBeefington
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Concussion grenades and vibroblades will.

Rofl.. Don't think much of anything will work on Abeloth.

CaedusRules
Wow, I just finished the book, got to it late, but this was the best read so far, I'm suprised there isnt more chatter about it.

First off I am glad someone finally stood up for the jedi and made a move, I was getting tired of the masters just sitting there taking Daala's shit. I just dont understand why took so long, I mean this whole idea about Jedi treason... dont the jedi serve the force, not the GA? It looks like Saba is going to evacuate Coroscant with Jag and base the Order in the Empire soon.

Second, Abeloth. She is extremely powerful, but I dont think she is as invincible as it seems, she is more of a mystery. I think Luke is on the verge of figuring out Abeloth feeds off others fear, and in order to defeat her he has to isolate her from that fear, thus why she was quarenteed in the Maw. I have a feeling that Luke may end up sending her to another universe, like the way the Vong came.

I think the Tahiri story line is going nowhere. It doesn't look like she will be playing much of a part in this series other then sitting in a courtroom. Prediction: Jury dismisses the case and says that since Pellieon was an Imperial Officer, the Empire has the right to sentance her, not the GA. And Fel will come up with a fair punishment, other then death.

The best part of this series so far to me is the back and forth with Ben and Vestra. I can't figure out whether she will turn to the light or not. I dont know whether she will be in future novels, or if she just disapears after this, like Luke's past flings. All I know is I envy Ben...lol... Bad girls are the best in bed smile~

Does anyone find it strange that all of the people Luke was intimate with are being killed off? Before they kind of just disappeared, but now... First Mara dies, killed by Jacen. Then Callista, Luke's first love somehow finds her way to Abeloth, and gets killed... Then in this novel Abeloth posseses Akanah and Luke kills her. Makes one wonder if there is a link there.

I wish there wasnt such a gap between novels. You would think that with 3 other writers these books could come out once ever 3 months. That give 1 writer 6-7 months to write a book and about 2 months to edit and publish. I cant wait until May 17th. Way to long.

Dr McBeefington
I think its pretty obvious that Luke dies defeating abeloth while Ben and vestara Wed.

CaedusRules
Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
I think its pretty obvious that Luke dies defeating abeloth while Ben and vestara Wed.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but could you elaborate? I just dont see them killing off Luke yet. I think that a risk the SW writers dont want to take. Will novels be the same without Luke?

Nephthys
Not really. But he has to die eventually. And I don't see how they'll top Abeloth personally.

Dr McBeefington
Not really. But he has to die eventually. And I don't see how they'll top Abeloth personally.

I have a hard time believing Lucas will let Luke be killed off regardless of his monetary intentions, but if Luke was to die, what better way than in the last book titled "Apocalypse" fighting something equivalent to a force god?

Nephthys
Yeah, its now or never. Either he'll die here or in his sleep.

CaedusRules
I just dont think with the state the Jedi Order is in right now, there is no way Luke can die. I think Luke will have to appoint a sucessor before he goes, and thats either going to be Leia, Jaina, Ben, or Allana...

truejedi
Well, the state of the Jedi order is almost beyond the point of no return. They crossed the line with Daala, and they are NEVER going to get back in line with her. Either she is removed as Head of State, or the Jedi are done on Coruscant. The acting leader of the military while Bwatuua is in the coma is BEGGING daala to let him unleash the troops.

Secondly: Abeloth is a beast, but the fact that Luke handled one of her bodies one on one makes me think she isn't really untouchable

I agree with Beefy that this book didn't move along either the Tahiri story, OR the abeloth story. They are still exactly where they were. chasing her to another planet.

This book could be summed up as : Kenth Hamner deposed, Jedi try to break out of Coruscant.

That said, GREAT BOOK. Denning is a fantastic writer. I actually enjoyed this, while many times I find myself going from plot point to plot point, just trying to get through it.

AND THAT SAID, I wouldn't pay 27 bucks for that. Have they lost their minds?

And finally: That thing with barabels in the preview for the next book was REALLY weird.

Dr McBeefington
Yea, apparently Amelia is going to be shady as hell and Daala will be removed as Chief of State according to the preview for the next novel.

truejedi
Luke is damn impressive, however. I keep realizing that. He pretty much did to Abeloth what it took thousands of Sith, ben and luke, to do to her in the maw. (kill one body) He and ben also forced her new Castilla body to retreat, which is once again impressive.

Beefy: Do you think she has another back-up body? She always goes back to the Castilla one. Can killing that be her last body by any chance?

And if she ISN'T sith, then why is ship listening to her?

this book was good enough to consider discussing.

Also, did you know Karen Traviss wrote a Clone Wars Gambit book? I saw it on the new release shelf... how dare she?

Dr McBeefington
Originally posted by truejedi
Luke is damn impressive, however. I keep realizing that. He pretty much did to Abeloth what it took thousands of Sith, ben and luke, to do to her in the maw. (kill one body) He and ben also forced her new Castilla body to retreat, which is once again impressive.

Beefy: Do you think she has another back-up body? She always goes back to the Castilla one. Can killing that be her last body by any chance?
I think she's not a human but a manifestation of the force. I wouldn't be surprised if she had unlimited bodies. Also, I doubt we have seen Abeloth trying her best yet and that's what leads me to believe Luke sacrifices himself to kill her.

Because she's uber powerful in the dark side and ship says that he has no choice to listen to her because her power is so great, he is forced to obey. This was in the first book I think..

Haha don't care anything about Clone Wars or movie era..

truejedi
just depends, i really can't see Lucas letting Luke die, but I could be wrong.

Another thing: Kenth Hamner died the worst death of any Jedi, ever. Amirite?

Dr McBeefington
I honestly thought he was a poor character to begin with and they killed him off pretty badly. To me it was the equivalent of killing off the Commodore in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, except that he was a badass actor..

truejedi
I honestly thought he was a poor character to begin with and they killed him off pretty badly. To me it was the equivalent of killing off the Commodore in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, except that he was a badass actor..

that's true, did Kenth ever DO anything? I can't remember one thing he has ever accomplished.

I think the Seba's analysis of him was perfect: He was in over his head, and waiting for Bwatua to come bail him out instead of planning his next action.

CaedusRules
I think she's not a human but a manifestation of the force. I wouldn't be surprised if she had unlimited bodies. Also, I doubt we have seen Abeloth trying her best yet and that's what leads me to believe Luke sacrifices himself to kill her.

I have to say that we have seen her powers, but the mystery is we don't know how many manifestations she has at her disposal. It is obvious that Luke is making her weaker, or she wouldnt be running to hide amongst force sensitives. Also her grip on the jedi wouldn't have lessened. I know she still has the Horns, but remember they were the first to change, it might mean she has stronger connections with them.

I just dont see how Luke can die before the Order is set up with new leadership...

truejedi
pretty sure the order is about to fall apart anyway, isn't it?

Dr McBeefington
When ISNT the order about to fall?

truejedi
good point. I was thinking about it: They have had luke in exile for 2 years, away from family, away from the public eye, i think they will give him a triumphant return before they kill him.

Also: All this about the vision being the reason that Caedus went to the Sith, that is a shift isn't it? If i remember correctly from LOTF, he went to the Sith very specifically to bring peace to the galaxy, right?

He killed that first Jedi knight (when he wiped Ben's memory) in his first step into the darkness because he realized he needed to in order to bring peace to the galaxy. So what is this about his vision of Allana being the reason?

Dr McBeefington
Originally posted by truejedi
good point. I was thinking about it: They have had luke in exile for 2 years, away from family, away from the public eye, i think they will give him a triumphant return before they kill him.

Also: All this about the vision being the reason that Caedus went to the Sith, that is a shift isn't it? If i remember correctly from LOTF, he went to the Sith very specifically to bring peace to the galaxy, right?

He killed that first Jedi knight (when he wiped Ben's memory) in his first step into the darkness because he realized he needed to in order to bring peace to the galaxy. So what is this about his vision of Allana being the reason?

Him and Luke saw different things in the Pool of Knowledge, so whatever he saw made him turn down that path and it wasn't the same thing Luke saw. It's a whole philosophical debate regarding whether you can change destiny or not.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.