Google +1: Rogue Jedi's idea?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dadudemon
Web 2.0 will see it's latest entry in Google+1.

http://gizmodo.com/5705039/google-me-their-big-social-project-is-now-called-google-%252B1

It is being seen as a Facebook competitor.

I suppose the social networking site scene saw it's saturation 3 years ago. What wonderous reveal will we witness with Google?*

I feel that Google can do very little wrong. This seems to be more of a "status update" system that will be built into Chrome, Google's web browser. I have personally seen more and more people opting for the "skinny" versions of status notifications from their facebook pages. I also see lots of integration into Facebook to automatically update your status such as: "I rated Y-Movie a 4 out of 5 stars on Netflix." Or, "William likes this video on College Humor."

There are those that predict that most of the social networking sites will see traffic from bots that do auto-updates.

Also, I believe I know what the reasoning behind Google naming it "Google+1": in a "For" looping structure, you can increment a "for" loop with a "+" or a "++". I picture it as stacking on a status update feed, AKA, a "+1" system, similar to a "for" loop.

I'm still looking forward to a "matrix" type of a social system.

Also, the thread title refers to Rogue Jedi's recent thing with saying "+1" to people. Did Google steal that from RJ? laughing

*Yes, those two sentences were intentional alliteration.

Bardock42
Well, Google can do very much "wrong" (in the sense of no one wants it), especially in social, think Orkut, Buzz, Wave, though they are usually not terrible things. However I always loved their Profiles page, they are the best profile page on the web, imo, honestly, Google already has all the tools to make a great Facebook competitor, I hope they can pull it off and that people will actually want it, I don't necessarily want facebook to die, but some healthy competition would be....healthy.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
However I always loved their Profiles page, they are the best profile page on the web, imo, honestly, Google already has all the tools to make a great Facebook competitor, I hope they can pull it off and that people will actually want it, I don't necessarily want facebook to die, but some healthy competition would be....healthy.

I agree: competition is usually good with this stuff.

Bardock42
I am excited about it being in Google Chrome, I love Chrome, and I want to try the Chrome OS when they release it (the builds at the moment don't work too well for me), it would be sweet if it would take off.

I usually have Google Mail and Facebook as pinned tabs in Chrome at the moment, maybe if they do it right I wouldn't have to have either. Of course there's already social browsers out there Flock and Rock Melt for example, both are even based on Chromium, but I think if Google can pull it off in a new, smart way that would be epic.

Syren
In reference to Chrome, I did love it to begin with but for some reason I can't access my private messages on Facebook when I'm using Chrome. Sorry for the side note here, but if anyone can explain why this happens and offer a solution then I'd love to go back to using Chrome big grin

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
I am excited about it being in Google Chrome, I love Chrome, and I want to try the Chrome OS when they release it (the builds at the moment don't work too well for me), it would be sweet if it would take off.

I usually have Google Mail and Facebook as pinned tabs in Chrome at the moment, maybe if they do it right I wouldn't have to have either. Of course there's already social browsers out there Flock and Rock Melt for example, both are even based on Chromium, but I think if Google can pull it off in a new, smart way that would be epic.

Yeah, Google's full blown OS is called Chromium. Also, it worked just fine in the virtual machine I made for it. I want to see better voice and touch controls. I hope Google delivers.

Syren, I'll do some testing to see if I can replicate your problem. I'll post my results some time later this morning...which will be around 3 PM your time.

Bardock42
Originally posted by dadudemon
Yeah, Google's full blown OS is called Chromium. Also, it worked just fine in the virtual machine I made for it. I want to see better voice and touch controls. I hope Google delivers.

Syren, I'll do some testing to see if I can replicate your problem. I'll post my results some time later this morning...which will be around 3 PM your time.

That's not quite correct, Chromium is the open source basis of Google Chrome. That's why linux only used to have a Chromium implementation. The Operating System will likely be called Google Chrome OS and be based on the open source Chromium OS.

It works alright on my laptop, the only thing that doesn't work is wireless, which makes it useless for me in general usage. Perhaps it worked well in your virtual machine as it simulates a cable internet anyways.

From what I have seen the Chrome OS should be pretty good. I like the Web App approach. I also tried MeeGo, that too seems interesting, I actually quite liked Maemo5, if they are able to incorporate those features and make increase usability they have a sweet Mobile OS, and an interesting Netbook OS.

Originally posted by Syren
In reference to Chrome, I did love it to begin with but for some reason I can't access my private messages on Facebook when I'm using Chrome. Sorry for the side note here, but if anyone can explain why this happens and offer a solution then I'd love to go back to using Chrome big grin
It works fine for me, Chrome does have some odd bugs at times, you could try to search the Google knowledge base. Alternatively just uninstall and reinstall it to try again, also Chrome is updated extremely fast, perhaps the problem will solve itself, you could keep it as secondary browser and check from time to time.

Also you could check out the beta, dev or canary builds, maybe that doesn't have the problem.

Rogue Jedi
Ahahahaha

Peach
Originally posted by dadudemon

Also, the thread title refers to Rogue Jedi's recent thing with saying "+1" to people. Did Google steal that from RJ? laughing

No, because I've been seeing people do that online for years stick out tongue It's extraordinarily common happy

And I'm surprised that google hasn't done some sort of full-blown social network thing by now, though personally I'm really not all that interested. But I already hate that integrated status update BS that's so popular, as well as the fact that so many sites directly tie into facebook.

dadudemon
Syren, I did not have time to run some tests. Too much homework. I won't have time to try again until tomorrow night.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.