Best overall talent in the film industry?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

NCRotCA
I vote Clint Eastwood. cool

Great and iconic actor, as well as a pretty awesome director, with films like Gran Tarino and Million Dollar Baby.

The Nuul
Kevin Smith!

SnakeEyes
If it were still the 70s/80s, I'd have to say Woody Allen; considering he wrote, directed and acted in several great films. But today? I can't think of anyone who hits all three categories so effectively. In terms of just directors I'd say right now Nolan is box office gold and still on the rise. Of course he's not the only one, but he's getting into producing now with the next Superman, etc. and I imagine he'll keep expanding from there. Don't think we'll see him act lol but writer, director, producer ain't bad.

NCRotCA
Oh yeah, Woody Allen would almost certainly take it.

I have a feeling Christopher Nolan already peaked with the near perfect Memento and The Prestige, and while Inception was definitely good I feel it was a pretty big drop in quality for him next to those kinds of films.

If we look more into the many different skills that go on behind the making of a film I think David Lynch would be a good pick. Also a writer/director/producer (and he actually does act) and finding success in each field, he's displayed incredible range like no other; he's dabbled in black and white, colour, and animation; he's achieved great success with both low budget and high budget films; he's made full length films, short films, and even branched off into the realm of TV; he's made films that feature their own original storylines, an adaptation of a preexisting work, and even retold real life stories; he's explored the worlds of science fiction, fantasy, as well as the real world; he's displayed great use of music, humour, and horror in his filmmaking; he's displayed himself to be an incredible and very unique storyteller, telling extremely artistic, puzzle like in their complexity stories, as well the more simple and emotionally powerful stories, incredibly powerful characterisation and detailed mythologies; he's displayed great visual imagination - he can do it all.

Having works as diverse as Inland Empire, The Straight Story, Dune, Twin Peaks, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Eraserhead, Wild At Heart, and Mulholland Dr. speaks pretty highly for how talented a filmmaker he truly is.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by NCRotCA

Great and iconic actor, as well as a pretty awesome director, with films like Gran Tarino and Million Dollar Baby.

He seems a pretty good pick. I am not a Nolan fan at all - nor am I a Woody Allen fan. Of the names mentioned so far, Eastwood would be my number one, followed by Kevin Smith.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Dreampanther
He seems a pretty good pick. I am not a Nolan fan at all - nor am I a Woody Allen fan. Of the names mentioned so far, Eastwood would be my number one, followed by Kevin Smith.

I love Kevin Smith, as a person, but he is by no means close to the "best talent in the film industry." And Clint is way overrated imo.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I love Kevin Smith, as a person, but he is by no means close to the "best talent in the film industry." And Clint is way overrated imo.

That's how I feel about Nolan! eek!

Can't think of anybody else besides Eastwood that acts and directs that I like. I think there are better actors, and better directors - but people who do both?

Mr Parker
Originally posted by NCRotCA

good points.I very much agree.Dont forget Changeling either.That is one of my faves of all time.

jinXed by JaNx
This is kind of a tough question with no categories. It's almost like choosing what is the most important aspect of a film. Is it the writing, acting or directing. I've always felt that Daniel Day Lewis was an actor in his own league. I also believe that Guillermo Del Toro is far from reaching the peaks of his potential. I look forward to seeing more from him.

Robtard
Gary Oldman, the guy hasn't done a single bad role that I can recall. Even if the film is shitty, his character's great.

RE: Blaxican
Originally posted by Robtard
Gary Oldman, the guy hasn't done a single bad role that I can recall. Even if the film is shitty, his character's great. thumb up

marwash22
Will Smith - He can do action, comedy and drama.
Johnny Depp - Arguably the best character actor of his era.

Some others who never fail to kill a role:

Ben Kingsley
Ed Norton
Daniel Day Lewis
Glenn closeOriginally posted by Robtard
Gary Oldman, the guy hasn't done a single bad role that I can recall. Even if the film is shitty, his character's great. thumb up

The Nuul
Ben Kingsley sucked in Persa.

marwash22
Originally posted by The Nuul
Ben Kingsley sucked in Persa. haven't seen it.

jaden101
Uwe Boll....Obviously.

Esau Cairn
It's a pretty generalised question to ask for the best overall talent...but one actor that comes to mind would be Hugh Jackman.

The guy can sing, dance & act easily attracting both stage & screen presence.

From the acclaimed stage production of The Boy From Oz, depicting a very flambouyant & camp, Peter Allan in song & dance to the very extreme end of the scale of playing Wolverine.

Robtard
Originally posted by marwash22
Will Smith - He can do action, comedy and drama.
Johnny Depp - Arguably the best character actor of his era.

With a few notable exceptions like 'Six Degrees of Separation' and 'Pursuit of Happiness', Will Smith plays the same damn character in every film, ie Will Smith. He's like the black Kevin Costner.

Johnny Depp has been on a steady decline, unfortunately, cos he was once exceptional.

/end rant

Rogue Jedi
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv341/jedibeastie2/curious01280613.jpg

marwash22
Originally posted by Robtard
With a few notable exceptions like 'Six Degrees of Separation' and 'Pursuit of Happiness', Will Smith plays the same damn character in every film, ie Will Smith. He's like the black Kevin Costner.

Johnny Depp has been on a steady decline, unfortunately, cos he was once exceptional.

/end rant i would have gone with "Black Tom Cruise", but i get your point.

Esau Cairn
i would have gone with "Black Tom Cruise", but i get your point.

Oprah would've been like, "Git off the couch fool, you lettin' the side down!"

The Nuul
Affleck still cant act but he is starting to show that he can direct.

jaden101
i would have gone with "Black Tom Cruise", but i get your point.

Except that Tom Cruise is actually good.

A few good men
Rain man
Born on the 4th of July
The Color of Money
The Firm
Magnolia
Collateral

All solid performances...And then there was the genius that was his role in Tropic Thunder.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.